It's pre-season and we are in dire straits

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
yay, another doom and gloom thread. Awesome. Exactly what we need, more pessimism.
whereas looking at everything with rose-tinted glasses solved all our problems last season... and the season before.. and the season before that

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
8th next Season. I can't see huge improvements happening in the next 5 weeks in the starting 11. Pogba goes and we won't replace properly.
and then we'll pretend it's a huge shock and we could never have seen it coming

Infestissumam

whereas looking at everything with rose-tinted glasses solved all our problems last season... and the season before.. and the season before that
there's a middle-ground between "everything is shit" and "everything is fine" though. Just because I'm sick of all the negativity and hysteria doesn't mean I'm happy with everything.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I love how posters who say anything negative about the club are still labelled as moaning drama queens.

They've been right for 6 years now and some still think they overreact and are short-sighted.
this

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
Why is everyone so mad? One year ago all negativity was Mourinho's fault. Now, please, stop moaning. The team can be shit but everyone shouldn't moan.

:D

Josep Dowling

We need to let Ole have at least five transfer windows to build his own team. It's a long term project. Rome wasn't built in a day. He needs time to clear out the deadwood. How can we judge when these aren't his players?
The club could get rid of the deadwood in less than 18 month and they haven’t. Instead we extend their contracts with Solskjaer shaking the players hand on Twitter whilst telling us he’s going to be ruthless in the transfer window. Open your eyes.

Foxbatt

The club could get rid of the deadwood in less than 18 month and they haven’t. Instead we extend their contracts with Solskjaer shaking the players hand on Twitter whilst telling us he’s going to be ruthless in the transfer window. Open your eyes.
The club could get rid of the "deadwoodward" in less than 18 month and they haven’t.

Moriarty

It's the love man. Love over Gold any time.

Ranchero

In May... this is what Ole said: "“You get more energy because you’re determined to come back a better team and a better coach, to help the players improve and be even better. You can’t forget [about last season]. You have to learn from your mistakes as well. We want to learn more from what we did right.

"We’re going to sit down and go through all the plans with the physical coaches and with the coaches and we’ll be ready when 1 July comes. There are not going to be any excuses."

There were no pictures.

lysglimt

Scout
That was the match after which Hansen said "you can't win anything with kids". What we have now is totally different. We actually had a bunch of talented youngsters, then.
We do now as well - but they probably need a couple of seasons to properly develop

sunama

Baghdad Bob
In May... this is what Ole said: "“You get more energy because you’re determined to come back a better team and a better coach, to help the players improve and be even better. You can’t forget [about last season]. You have to learn from your mistakes as well. We want to learn more from what we did right.

"We’re going to sit down and go through all the plans with the physical coaches and with the coaches and we’ll be ready when 1 July comes. There are not going to be any excuses."

There were no pictures.
So, I guess the team we currently have on our roster (given that we are past 1st July), is Ole's definition of being "ready".

Sheesh. Breathe. We are not supposed to turn this around in 1 season. Give it time.
Haha, that's what Moyes used to say.
Then LVG came in the very next season and got 4th. Jose came in a few years later and got 2nd.
To turn our fortunes around, we need to have a plan and then aggressively implement it. If you sit back and relax, other teams who are currently behind us, will overtake us.
Last season, we finished 6th, so we were overtaken by LFC, Chelsea, AFC, Spurs (MCFC were always ahead of us). Wolves and Leicester could also overtake us, if we are not aggressive.
Right now, we are going backwards.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We have been in straight decline for 6 years minus a positive blip by Mourinho in his 2nd season. The imminent Pogba sale coming soon will be the nail in the coffin. We can finally stop having false hope for a season. We will cement our midtable status ie AC Milan for the next decade or so.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Realistically, we've only improved one position and are about to be severely weakened in midfield, it's not been a great start really.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Ole looked happy enough in that interview. Looks like we've decided to keep faith with the bulk of the squad from last season plus a few additions and probably minus Pogba and Lukaku. The lads are in good shape and want to entertain the fans.

Regalia

Every pre-season, there are those that think (or make themselves think) that the likes of Jones, Lingard, Smalling, Rojo, Young et al. have suddenly gotten a great boost in footballing skill and confidence.

I'm sorry, nothing will make that lot better, and nothing will make the team better except replacing them with improved talent. Not understudies who are 'hardworking, have great attitudes, and run non-stop'.

Mark1361

@UnitedObsession99 good post, fully agree.

I get that people are impatient, but there's still a lot of time. And let's face it, things at Chelsea and Arsenal look pretty dire too ... top 4 should certainly be a possibility for us in any case, anything beyond that is probably unrealistic IMO. But 4th place, continuous development and a good summer 2020 should put us in a much better position for 20-21.
There no certainly in football. We will not make top 4 this season if we do not sign CD.

Ranchero

Ole said we want our transfers done before pre season starts. So far we have bought one starter. Is it allowed to state that this is not ideal at all?
I think that was how his comments about being ready on July 1 "no excuses" were interpreted but it could also have meant that the team must be ready for pre-season then.

Ranchero

there's a middle-ground between "everything is shit" and "everything is fine" though. Just because I'm sick of all the negativity and hysteria doesn't mean I'm happy with everything.
Realistically, do you think another season fighting to get Europa League football rather than Champions League football is middle ground okay?
That's where we are if we do not in the short term bring in better quality to this side especially creatively in midfield and in central defence. Plus get quality replacements for wantaways Pogba and Lukaku.

norm87cro

We bought two players and its the start of July. We are probably going to sign three more. Everybody needs to chill

Infestissumam

Realistically, do you think another season fighting to get Europa League football rather than Champions League football is middle ground okay?
no, I think we have to make top 4 next season. The thing is, I'm optimistic that we do. Chelsea have lost their star player, have a new manager and can't bring in any reinforcements, and things at Arsenal look as dire as ever. We have a month left to do our business, and I'm sure there'll be more signings. I will not throw my toys out of the pram before I see our final squad for the season.

Swearing Budgie

Another point is: we're reducing our wages significantly. Fellaini, Herrera and Valencia already gone. 300k off weekly wages. If we sell Lukaku and Pogba that's another 500k off our wages. 800k a week we're saving. And we've added AWB (80k) and James(30k). So we still have a 620k gap to fill. Maguire would get 150k. Bruno maybe 100k. But otherwise we're seemingly saving money going into the season. Which is insane considering we didn't spend anything to begin with.
Which is great because then the owners and shareholders can get more money. Just need to make sure the commodity remains in the PL and we're golden.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't see a problem in him saying we are looking at 1 or 2 (transfer) cases. Anything more smacks of desperation. We can't go in to the market desperate, it weakens our hand. I can't ever remember a manager saying that they need to swarm the market and bring in any player with a pulse and a pair of boots. It'd be foolish.

What is said publicly and what happens behind closed doors in football are two different worlds. Take it all with a pinch of salt.

Infra-red

We've so far been unable to sign the players we needed to sign or sell the players we've needed to sell. Given we know who is responsible for transfers and what their track record in the last 6 years has been like, another disappointing summer should hardly come as a surprise.

Ranchero

no, I think we have to make top 4 next season. The thing is, I'm optimistic that we do. Chelsea have lost their star player, have a new manager and can't bring in any reinforcements, and things at Arsenal look as dire as ever. We have a month left to do our business, and I'm sure there'll be more signings. I will not throw my toys out of the pram before I see our final squad for the season.
We may have more time to do business, but nobody that we bring in will go through a full-pre season with us before the start of the season. Again. The idea of signing up Ole when we did, I thought, was to have proper planning for this summer window. And we still appear to be scrambling around for reinforcements. As has happened in previous seasons.

This would not be something to be bothered about, if we had not been down this road before.

Believe me, if we at least brought in Fernandes and, say, Diop (Maguire) and have a committed Pogba and Lukaku (they are both in the training squad for pre-season), then I would be happy as a first step.

I don't see a problem in him saying we are looking at 1 or 2 (transfer) cases. Anything more smacks of desperation. We can't go in to the market desperate, it weakens our hand. I can't ever remember a manager saying that they need to swarm the market and bring in any player with a pulse and a pair of boots. It'd be foolish.

What is said publicly and what happens behind closed doors in football are two different worlds. Take it all with a pinch of salt.
People take the words of the manager far far to literally.

Ranchero

People take the words of the manager far far to literally.
Yes, the 'one or two' line could actually be a realistic figure Ole has in mind, but the situation is not based on one quote. It is based on bitter past experience over desperate transfer windows, when we have needed to strengthen. We have needed, for instance, at least one creative with a football brain in central midfield for eons and as a result placed too much on Pogba. But in the past we have blundered through signings such as Di Maria, who was never that kind of player, Schweinstiger who was clearly over the hill (and I said it at the time to much criticism), and then at the same Schneiderlin who was a not very good young Schweinstiger. Fellaini, I need say nothing more about. Then Fred, who is, well we don't know what. I just hope he improves this season and that pre-season he might blossom.

settembrini

I hate how our pre-season tour squad has players in it who have been vocal about wanting to leave.

Stubble

Its looking possible now we may go into next season in a worse state than last season.
If Pogba/Lukaku go with no adequate replacements i can only see us sinking lower.
If we can get in a decent CB (and with Tuanzebe) defence will be much improved but up front unless Greenwood comes good we will have to rely on Martial/Rashford which didnt work last year so why would it next year. Mata and Lingard would still be mainstays of the team - yikes ! MF is my real worry if we lose Pogba without a good replacement - i just see ordinary-ness there so its pivitol we sign some quality here. Just Longstaff will not cut it at all.
If Pogba/Lukaku are sold late which looks very likely the generated funds may not be spent until next summer.. this could be a difficult season if so..

Last edited:

Kag

I’d rather be in our position than that of Chelsea or Arsenal. Although I’m inclined to agree the existing squad hasn’t really improved outside of Wan-Bissaka at right back.

ForestRGoinUp

Omg I tried to check out for a couple of weeks but then I just saw the squad we are taking on pre-season. WithPogba and Lukaku imminently departing that group of players, this could be a fun fun season. :houllier::nervous:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Oh shut up you mewling quim.
:lol: still the greatest insult I've ever heard.

Look guys, cheer up and stay positive. Next season we'll wish we were still in this position after we replace Pogba with Obertan and Martial with Owen.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
There was a time when a player like Fernandes would be brought in to compete for a midfield position against other players of his quality, not expected to take a first team place immediately because our squad is so shit. That frightens me a little bit. Anyone else preparing their survival kit and stocking up the bunker?