It's taken me 19 years to realise Rooney's debut PL goal took a deflection

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton

Did most people know this? I must have seen this goal 100 times and I've never noticed it until today.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Did most people know this? I must have seen this goal 100 times and I've never noticed it until today.
I'm just going to go ahead and ignore this and continue to believe Rooney scored the greatest goal by a 16 year old.

klsv

I'm more shocked by the fact that it was 19 fecking years ago :(

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
He shinned that overhead against City too, the f*king fraud.

Screamer against Newcastle was a misplaced pass en all.

MAME DIOUF 32

tbf it's a pretty good illustration of commentators' desperate demand for a narrative over actual fact

Ludens the Red

I still don’t see a deflection. :houllier:
think you’ve just made that up.

Let it go matehe left you for United 17 years ago. He’s even gone back and scored against Liverpool :D

Abizzz

I don't see the deflection either. Wouldn't the ball spin a lot more if there was one?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I don't see the deflection either. Wouldn't the ball spin a lot more if there was one?
Watch the angle from behind the goal closely. A non-deflected strike would never get that kind of swirl.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s still a great hit, and it’s his confidence taking it down and driving forward and even attempting it that makes it special anyway.

Abizzz

Watch the angle from behind the goal closely. A non-deflected strike would never get that kind of swirl.
But the way Campbell's leg is stretched out when the ball flies by a deflection should have surely gone to the right (from Rooney's position), yet it curls slightly to the left.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I still can’t see the deflection, I am sure Wenger didn’t see it either!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I didn’t know, but I am not surprised as for 19 years, I had always wondered why a shot of that nature beat the goalkeeper from that far out. It always looked weird in that the ball wasn’t right in the corner, or hit very powerfully, and the keeper was in a decent enough position to start with. The deflection makes perfect sense.

Abizzz

I didn’t know, but I am not surprised as for 19 years, I had always wondered why a shot of that nature beat the goalkeeper from that far out. It always looked weird in that the ball wasn’t right in the corner, or hit very powerfully, and the keeper was in a decent enough position to start with. The deflection makes perfect sense.
It was Seaman.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Same with Ronaldo's winner at fulham where he 'took the game by the scruff of the neck'.

Who cares.

Corey

I can’t see any deflection and spotting deflections is my speciality !

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Jury’s out for me. The way he strikes the ball - wrapping his foot around and up through the ball - generates that spin and dip. But to be fair you can also get that type of movement from a deflection. So can believe there was either no deflection or it took a nick off Sol’s leg - neither appear conclusive from the footage.

Trequarista10

I noticed if before but I don't think it's a deflection, I think it just glances Campbell as it goes past but doesn't change the direction of the shot. Looks slightly different from each angle though and neither is quite clear.

Need snick-o from cricket to clarify.

RashyForPM

You’ve genuinely ruined that goal for me Everton man. Now I will always say that Rooney scored 207 rather than 208 PL goals.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Here’s a bit of discussion from the Everton player closest to Wazza during that play.

128:40 causes me to burst out in laughter no matter how hard I try to stifle it (the Rooney discussion begins at 127:00).

Last edited:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I can't see it, to be honest, but the trajectory it takes would make more sense via a deflection.

Regardless, you should've kept this to yourself.