It's taken me 19 years to realise Rooney's debut PL goal took a deflection

dal

I’ve just had the official secrets act through the post.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Here’s a bit of discussion from the Everton player closest to Wazza during that play.

128:40 causes me to burst out in laughter no matter how hard I try to stifle it (the Rooney discussion begins at 127:00).

Thanks for posting that, I enjoyed watching from 1:27 on for ten mins.

we were so privileged to have him play for us and for so long, winning so many trophies. Crying shame he’s not appreciated by fans.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
So a few days after being confirmed as Derby County manager, one of his goals is discovered to have been a jammy deflection. What’s next? A rivalry with Bielsa? Leaving his missus for a One Show host?

Oranges038

Yeah it takes a wicked defelection alright, completely bamboozles Seaman and Maradona's second goal against England in 86 is actually a Terry Butcher own goal.

SirAF

Ageist
Here’s a bit of discussion from the Everton player closest to Wazza during that play.

128:40 causes me to burst out in laughter no matter how hard I try to stifle it (the Rooney discussion begins at 127:00).

Is this another 500P thing? :D

Nick7

Wow, I definitely had a completely different image of that goal in my mind. I thought he leathered it with his instep. I can definitely see the deflection though, it give it more topspin but doesn’t change the trajectory of the shot. Probably would have hit the bar.

padzilla

Hipster
I have watched this a dozen times in last few minutes and still can't say it took a deflection or it didn't. Either way Seaman should have done better. His attempt to save it was latter-day Shilton-esque.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
No idea, the tiniest of deflections at most. Even if, fantastic goal.

pacifictheme

I can't see it, to be honest, but the trajectory it takes would make more sense via a deflection.

Regardless, you should've kept this to yourself.
He just hits it like a free kick doesn't he. Don't see a deflection in it at all.

The Original

For people who can't see it, you need to focus on Cambell's leg not the flight of the ball which is too fast. The deflection is there. But it doesn't matter.

Okey

I thought it was always obvious, but it's the faintest kind and hardly affects the ball. Can't take away from the greatness of the goal as a debut goal. He topped it at United though...the Newcastle volley and Citeh overhead kick come to mind easily.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I genuinely can't see it from those clips.

I think that's my favourite goal scored against Arsenal - instantly iconic, and set up a lifetime of hype and expectation... that he actually went and met. Amazing.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I can’t see it but even if there is one - it is a minor one otherwise we would all be seeing it. I think the way he goes into hitting it, might still have gone in and was looking on target anyway tbh.

Hardly a clear cut case of fraud which diminishes his legacy in any way.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
From that (admittedly poor quality and tiny) twitter vid, I'm not seeing any deflection. I'm not going to seek out a better quality vid.

On another note, I didn't remember Everton having a player called "Linderoth". Is that our own Lindelof experimenting with time travel and having the weird side effect of gaining a lisp?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
On another note, I didn't remember Everton having a player called "Linderoth". Is that our own Lindelof experimenting with time travel and having the weird side effect of gaining a lisp?
The clip has lots of material for the players you have forgotten about, thread.

Charlie Foley

Looked it up on YouTube. Slowed down the playback speed. I’m still not convinced to be honest.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I can't see it.

Wouldn't there be more top-spin on the ball if it took that kind of deflection? It stays swerving the way Rooney hits it.