It's taken me 19 years to realise Rooney's debut PL goal took a deflection

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If you see this as an deflection, maybe you can see Harry Kane's self-claimed header goal too!

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
It was hilarious how people pretended this didn’t take a massive deflection because they were trying to push the Figo BPITW narrative in 2000.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Is this Sol trying to make himself relevant again?

Haddock

You know what? Michael Cox is a Tory bellend so none of this matters.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's clear to me.

I can see why most don't see it because it's slight and he's close enough to Rooney that the change in trajectory is not obvious but it's there.

Watch at 0.25 speed.

The ball strikes the top of Cambell's calf and clearly begins to rise
There is no deflection mate, sorry. Not in my opinion anyway.

On a sidenote, I strongly advise anyone deciding to watch that clip at 0.25 speed does so while not wearing headphones on max volume, unless you find the idea of lobotmizing yourself appealing.

The Original

There is no deflection mate, sorry. Not in my opinion anyway.

On a sidenote, I strongly advise anyone deciding to watch that clip at 0.25 speed does so while not wearing headphones on max volume, unless you find the idea of lobotmizing yourself appealing.
:lol: :lol:

As a final attempt to help you see the light, did you take a look at the screenshot too?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Yes it was deflected but clearly Rooney meant to put the slightest of deflections on it to add that extra little bit of spin to send it over Seaman and in off the bar. Makes the goal even better if you ask me.

And what's with all that vociferous noise in the stadium?! Honestly keep it down people, football is supposed to be played in silence, punctuated by only the odd shout, agonising scream or swear word.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s amazing that his first touch was great at 16 and got progressively worse from there

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It takes a deflection.

But he's a 16 year old boy smashing a fantastic strike against Arsenal in his debut.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
You know what? Michael Cox is a Tory bellend so none of this matters.
Is he really a Tory?

His books are decent and informative but he always comes off as a bit of a prat on podcasts (maybe it’s just the voice?)

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
It takes a deflection.

But he's a 16 year old boy smashing a fantastic strike against Arsenal in his debut.
Isn’t this a bit of a contradiction? If a shot is deflected then it’s really hard to call it a fantastic strike.

Supports
England
If you see this as an deflection, maybe you can see Harry Kane's self-claimed header goal too!
Is that still a thing? There's an angle on that one where it looks 100% like he made contact. But I never believed that he'd go to all the trouble of lying about it so vehemently and publicly if he wasn't utterly convinced he was correct. My conclusion on that incident is that even if it didn't touch him, he's genuinely sure that it did (and thus that the worst he's guilty of is making more of a fuss over it than he should have).

Haddock

Is he really a Tory?

His books are decent and informative but he always comes off as a bit of a prat on podcasts (maybe it’s just the voice?)
Indeed he is. I was just being facetious about his opinion not counting because he's a Tory. He is an intelligent writer but seeing as he has positioned himself as chief arbiter of everything football related and I think we should be a lot more sceptical about a lot of his opinions on the game (nothing to do with his politics).