It’s the players, not the manager

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We have players with massive ego's that are not man utd quality and they don't have the mentality of winners and dont want to train hard, they're moaning about training sessions getting over in the evenings. Even if we would have brought in a taskmaster like conte, the players would have downed tools and gotten him sacked too.

You could literally hire a clown from the circus and have him manage city for a few games and the players wont be getting battered by watford or be dominated by newcastle and norwich. If the players cant string together five yard passes then that's on the players, no manager in the world past or present can remedy that.. Turd cannot be polished.

We have sacked managers previously and can go on sacking managers, the only constant is the toxic culture being perpetuated by the players.

Edit:

Its never the players fault :wenger:

Last edited:

Barthez

Too many old players that were great but sadly past it in terms of the premier league complimented by too many young players who think they are gods gift and have already made it.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
We have players that are not man utd quality and have massive ego's. They dont have the mentality of winners.

Even if we would have brought in a taskmaster like conte the players would have downed tools and gotten him sacked.

We have sacked managers previously and can go on sacking managers, the only constant is the toxic culture and the players.
There is pretty much a completely new 11 from when Jose was our manager to now, but it's always the players throwing the manager under the bus, how about we blame the board on not getting a top class manager who can get the best out of the players we have and make a change here and there

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The current group of players have synchronized tendency to go off form altogether and sack manager after manager.

If the squad won't be cleared they'll eat Ten Haag for breakfast in matter of one year.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ronaldo, Cavani, Bruno, Sancho, Varane it's these players?

Nah it's really not

Nickelodeon

Too many old players that were great but sadly past it in terms of the premier league complimented by too many young players who think they are gods gift and have already made it.
Completely agree with this description

Paul_Scholes18

There is pretty much a completely new 11 from when Jose was our manager to now, but it's always the players throwing the manager under the bus, how about we blame the board on not getting a top class manager who can get the best out of the players we have and make a change here and there
Agree we go for not top managers constantly. Mourinho was one, but we know the risk with him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Ronaldo, Cavani, Bruno, Sancho, Varane it's these players?

Nah it's really not
None of them were any better at controlling or directing passes than McTominay or Wan-Bissaka tonight.

United Hobbit

Bar the odd one or two, I absolutely despise this group of players

Of course though, they will all issue their pathetic fake apologies as usual. Course it won't stop them picking up their massive wages, no questions asked

Do we have any performance related criteria in any contracts? If not, can we start adding them in as a matter of urgency for any new signings

There's a serious problem with a lot of them, but especially Rashford, his head down, running into blind alleys, trying to run through players is REALLY irritating me. It's like when I play Fifa, which I'm not very good at, and I try and run my way to goal. I admire his charity work, but he needs to delegate and focus on his football. Surely he could put his mum in charge, he must trust her to run it properly.

Jericholyte2

Barring De Gea I’d happily see the back of each and every single one of these frauds!

Chairman Steve

I suspect Solskjaer has been guilty of mollycoddling a lot of this squad (being their best mate, not really being tough enough on them) and now Ralf is the manager who is a tough taskmaster, has no previous loyalties to anyone and has brought in his own guys, it’s a bit of a shock to the system to the squad.

Hopefully we can get over that hurdle soon if that is what it is. I get the feeling the squad were getting too much of a free ride under the Solskjaer regime and hence why I think you’ve not really seen a massive kick up in performances, like going from Jose Mourinho who was mentally checked out and wanted out to cuddly happy Solskjaer with a cheesy grin on his face.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s the players in the sense that they don’t fit the system that the manager is trying to implement.
It’s the manager in the sense that he’s picking the sides, the formation, and generally just doesn’t have the CV behind him to suggest he can manage a side at the top level.

Yagami

Good post resistant
When a top manager in his prime fails here, I'll start believing this.

Moyes, van Gaal, Mourinho, Ole and Rangnick weren't/aren't top managers in their prime here. Most, if not all, of them were lucky to even be considered for this job.

Redfrog

Both.

The players are shameless and an embarrassment for this club but the manager is not good. He is not a manager to be honest, he was a consultant in Russia. We really have weird ideas at this club…

Lee565

It's the managers afraid to change things and just stick to playing it safe, they dare not drop ronaldo, rashford, mctominay or maguire.

Fooza

It's the midfield, shocking decision not to strengthen what should have been the most important part of the team in the summer.

Sancho - not much impact
Varane - not much impact
Ronaldo - wasn't needed

Criminal really

Redfrog

When a top manager in his prime fails here, I'll start believing this.

Moyes, van Gaal, Mourinho, Ole and Rangnick weren't/aren't top managers in their prime here. Most, if not all, of them were lucky to even be considered for this job.
You are right unfortunately.

We had a chance to hire Conté but this club is allergic to success now apparently…

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I've been banging this drum for years. You are only as good as your players.

Walters_19_MuFc

The players have been awful. Not much RR can do about that. However, is he playing a system and the personnel that will maximise our teams performances? Clearly not!

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
It's mainly the players. A set of winners would never put in a performance like the one at Watford regardless of who the manager was.

Only De Gea and Greenwood are worth keeping. The rest should all be move on starting now.

Name Changed

weso26
It's definitely both. The average age of the squad is very high compared to other "top" teams. They lack hunger and desire. To be honest it looks like they don't give a shit.

Rangnick is making such obvious errors though. If you don't have the players to play the system, then don't play the system. Or have the balls to drop Ronaldo.

TheMitz

DDG
Shaw
Jones
Greenwood
Bruno

Only ones to perform with credit tonight.

Sancho by far the worst of the rest.

Ralf needs to get in some players he can trust

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Who picks the players? Mods please delete this thread.
It’s the players in the sense that they don’t fit the system that the manager is trying to implement.
It’s the manager in the sense that he’s picking the sides, the formation, and generally just doesn’t have the CV behind him to suggest he can manage a side at the top level.
It's the managers afraid to change things and just stick to playing it safe, they dare not drop ronaldo, rashford, mctominay or maguire.
If the manager drops the big names then he'd have a horde of fans baying for his blood.

goatboy

Anyone making the claim that only a top manager has what it takes to get the best out of our players really doesn't understand the concept of being a professional athlete.

I'd say a goodly proportion of our players fall into that category also.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
United's squad is like if someone went to the supermarket, bought the most expensive ingredients in the shop, handed it over to a chef and said: 'Make something!'

We are a textbook case of how not to build a squad. The parts don't come together in any real way to create anything like a whole that makes sense. Arguably we'd be in a better position if we had spent 1/10th of what we have since Fergie retired. It would've at least stopped us buying so many square pegs for round holes.

Lecland07

Solskjaer was a devastating selection as manager. He allowed terrible habits to breed and become part of the player culture at the club: laziness, in particular.

That three-season period really created a lot of issues that only a clear out will fix, now. Rashford, Greenwood, Martial etc. have all adapted to a club culture where laziness has been accepted for such a long period. They are now reluctant to work hard. Greenwood might be able to be turned around, but I think it is too late for a lot of the others.

I think the last manager has been a direct contributor to the current state of the players.

Houdini

Why all the/most of the high profile players bought post Fergie have been flops? Is that something to do with the pressure?

Di Maria
Falcao
Sanchez
Schweinsteiger
Schneiderlin
Miki
Rojo
Lukaku
Maguire
Sancho (ok he still has a chance but so far...)
Ronaldo (?) - after his honeymoon period he started producing comedy moments

M Bison

Supports
York City
Not buying it that the players aren’t good enough, that’s rubbish imo. It’s a team full of internationals and high in quality.

It’s a number of factors but it starts with hard work and the players not putting the effort in, which should be enforced by the management.

If players don’t perform or work hard enough they shouldn’t play, no matter how poorly certain players play, they’ll always play and it’s wrong and breeds the wrong culture.