Ivan Perisic or Bale as short term solution

HowYouDoin

How on earth can you say with such confidence that it would have worked? And what are you defining as 'working'? Competing for titles? Top 4? 'cos we had Lukaku and we didn't make top 4 in his final year. He was crap! Putting two ageing wingers in Willian (who Chelsea weren't at pains to keep on) and Perisic either side of Lukaku is no guarantee of success.
Hey hey easy now. Dont get me wrong, I wanted Jose sacked badly, couldn't stand him at the time and I prefer what we have now compared to what we would have had if we kept Jose.
However I do believe it would have worked. Yeah top 4, stuff like that, thats what I mean by would have worked.
Jose was past it way too much for anything more than that. But I understood his vision with Perisic and Willian.

On a related note its also why I dont really fear the Spurs. Brilliant players, just think Jose is past it.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
So, at the age of 29, Ivan Perisic was not suitable for the "United" style of playing, was not skilled enough and was too old for United. And many were strongly against the short term plans of Mourinho. Now he is welcome at the age of 31? Not old anymore? Signing a 31 year old, wouldn't it damage the reputation of the club?

Wonder what has changed in 2 years...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So, at the age of 29, Ivan Perisic was not suitable for the "United" style of playing, was not skilled enough and was too old for United. And many were strongly against the short term plans of Mourinho. Now he is welcome at the age of 31? Not old anymore? Signing a 31 year old, wouldn't it damage the reputation of the club?

We are not sacrificing Martial and don't think many want him on permanent transfer. So nothing has changed.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He started for the best team in Europe in the CL final only a few weeks ago. He will definitely be a good signing on loan.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Rashford needs competition on the left from an experienced winger like Perisic. I’d be happy if we signed him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Totally not in Ole's alley and when Mourinho was still here the board blocked that deal from emerging.

How things change and fast... Surprised Romano didn't picked on that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'd take Perisic on loan in a heartbeat.

Greenwood is a kid, he's going to need managing carefully. It would be unforgiveable to see us run him into the ground like Liverpool did Michael Owen out of desperation. However, when Greenwood can't play our options on the right are awful: no ability to beat opponents, nothing to occupy the opposition full back, its really bad.

Perisic won the treble a month ago. I'd feel much better about him rotating with Greenwood than some of the other options we have in our squad.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I wanted him in 2018,btw. I just didn't want Martial going the opposite direction.

redshaw

Would take Perisic on loan, he'd be excellent cover and it's going to be a packed schedule.

He has an ambition to play in the PL, seems like a very good character for Ole and the team.

gorky_utd

We are not sacrificing Martial and don't think many want him on permanent transfer. So nothing has changed.
Yup. Mourinho wanted to sign him and sell Martial. Now Martial is playing as a striker and Perisic will be playing as winger so there shouldn't be any issue. But Inter will probably want to sell him rather than a loan.

DRM

The sheer incompetence of our board and management team to have a long term vision and plan.

roonster09

Scout
Yup. Mourinho wanted to sign him and sell Martial. Now Martial is playing as a striker and Perisic will be playing as winger so there shouldn't be any issue. But Inter will probably want to sell him rather than a loan.
Also Inter wanted Martial as part of the deal or 50 million (IIRC), now they will sell him for 15-20 million and he won't replace one of our better players (like Sanchez did)

Dominos

He no longer costs 50 million and it's not at the expense of selling Martial... So not much has changed really.

reddevilz007

If not Sancho,

i would buy Perisic and the Jens Petter kid. Together, they shouldn’t cost more than 25 mil total.

Our front 3 right now is way too young, and inexperienced. And our bench is way too weak. I would buy Perisic even if we got Sancho, because Rashford kid has no competition for his position nor backup. We’re one major injury away from a total collapse on the front line.

Perisic can play on both wings, which would give Greenwood some rest. He is better than Lingard, James and Mata.

Jens Petter seems to have a higher ceiling than James and has more legs than our aging Mata. He would be a low risk transfer

Add Telles, and pay 50-55 mil for Upamecano.

reddevilz007

Besides, Perisic is the perfect sub for either Rashford or Greenwood, as neither of them are able to perform a full 90 minutes. Both tend to disappear or can’t track back anymore in the last 20-25 minutes.
Perisic is levels beyond our bench players atm

Tonicruise

Supports
FC Bayern
Great squad player, really annoyed we didnt sign him as a backup winger/striker as we're really lacking in that department at the moment. Would be a great addition to any team if you can get him on a loan deal than thats good busniess.

Bwuk

Besides, Perisic is the perfect sub for either Rashford or Greenwood, as neither of them are able to perform a full 90 minutes. Both tend to disappear or can’t track back anymore in the last 20-25 minutes.
Perisic is levels beyond our bench players atm
Exactly. Rashford still doesn't look like he's 100% recovered from his back injury, and Greenwood is only young. The drop off from them is frightening.

I'd far rather Perisic start for us than James, Lingard, Mata etc.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Exactly. Rashford still doesn't look like he's 100% recovered from his back injury, and Greenwood is only young. The drop off from them is frightening.

I'd far rather Perisic start for us than James, Lingard, Mata etc.
Btw, Bayern wanted to buy Perisic but Inter was asking for too much money and I believe he is on something like €11m p.a.

roonster09

Scout
Btw, Bayern wanted to buy Perisic but Inter was asking for too much money and I believe he is on something like €11m p.a.
Did they? Bayern signed him on loan with option to buy around 20 million. After the loan Bayern made around 12 million bid. It looked like Bayern wanted to lowball them.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Did they? Bayern signed him on loan with option to buy around 20 million. After the loan Bayern made around 12 million bid. It looked like Bayern wanted to lowball them.
I don’t know mate. €20m is a lot in a corona environment where nobody knows when revenues will get up again.

Bwuk

I don’t know mate. €20m is a lot in a corona environment where nobody knows when revenues will get up again.
20m euros is not a lot for Perisic. He’d arguably be one of our better players.