Ivan Perisic or Bale as short term solution

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Borussia Dortmund are increasingly confident of keeping England winger Jadon Sancho, who is Manchester United's top summer transfer target.

It is understood United can meet the 20-year-old's personal terms, but there is no agreement over a fee.

Dortmund's deadline for any deal to be agreed - 10 August - has passed and the German side do not want to sell Sancho.

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants another wide player and the club are considering alternative targets.

Real Madrid's Wales forward Gareth Bale and Inter Milan's Croatia international Ivan Perisic, both 31, are two names that have been mentioned.

Neither fit the template of the young, energetic players Solskjaer has built his attack around at Old Trafford, but short-term solution cannot be ruled out.

Dortmund want over £100m for Sancho, who they signed from Manchester City for £10m in 2017. United do not feel a deal is possible at that valuation.

The Premier League club are losing about £5m for every match played match at Old Trafford played behind closed doors amid the coronavirus pandemic.

United are due to release their financial results to 30 June 2020 later in September.

The transfer window closes on 5 October and their only significant signing so far is Netherlands midfielder Donny van de Beek for an initial £35m from Ajax.

Further additions may depend on players leaving - and the future of defender Chris Smalling, who spent last season on loan at Roma in Serie A, remains uncertain.

England centre-back Smalling, 30, is keen to return to the Italian club but Roma and United are yet to agree a deal.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54145029

By Simon Stone, mentioned that short term solution can not be ruled out.

Wayne's World

Perisic wouldn't it be a bad option to be honest. Bale is a big no no though, I think his motivation is finished playing football

Perisic doesn't play on the right though so I would think that would mean Greenwood would be playing RW all season

Zoo

For me only Bale if we’re considering an older, more short-term option others don’t bother. His reputation has taken a blow because of what’s happened in Madrid but he is said to be a good lad who never has any issues with Wales. He could rotate with Greenwood on the RW so we could keep him fresh. Even at 80% he could turn us into genuine title contenders he’s that good.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Perisic on loan for a year would be fine. Bale would be a waste of time and money. Willian on a free would've been good. Definitely need somebody, as we'll get a lot of injuries and the season will unravel if we don't.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
For me only Bale if we’re considering an older, more short-term option others don’t bother. His reputation has taken a blow because of what’s happened in Madrid but he is said to be a good lad who never has any issues with Wales. He could rotate with Greenwood on the RW so we could keep him fresh. Even at 80% he could turn us into genuine title contenders he’s that good.
He was never that good, not even at his best 5-7 years ago when he was actually a top player. He's ready for going to MLS or China the past few years though.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Perisic would make more sense since he's still playing at a good level, he actively played a role in his team's recent CL win. We need to stay well clear of Bale, he doesn't seem interested in football anymore.
Perisic wouldn't it be a bad option to be honest. Bale is a big no no though, I think his motivation is finished playing football

Perisic doesn't play on the right though so I would think that would mean Greenwood would be playing RW all season
Greenwood will likely be our starting RW no matter who we sign.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
To be honest Greenwood is absolute class so even if we just add a back-up it’s good business as we need depth. Brooks would be a good option but his fee would also be way overpriced. I wouldn’t mind Perisic think he’s a good player. Bale is an absolute no from me.

Adamsk7

Perisic on a loan for a year is fine but we’d have to invest elsewhere. Going all out for Jadon and then getting Perisic on the last day with no other incomings would be a disaster IMO.

Donny, Reguilon, Thiago and Perisic I could handle

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Can't we get Douglas Costa as a short term option? I know I am being a bit of a fanboy now, but really like him when he is on form. Absolutely electric, but probably way too inconsistent (haven't seen too much of him since he joined Juve). Would be a good squad option though.

Drz

Perisic, also because he can be used in a variety of ways.

Maureen-yo

To be honest Greenwood is absolute class so even if we just add a back-up it’s good business as we need depth. Brooks would be a good option but his fee would also be way overpriced. I wouldn’t mind Perisic think he’s a good player. Bale is an absolute no from me.
Spurs were quoted £50 million, far too much!

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Perisic would be a left-winger. Doesn't change anything for our right-side.
Bale is a horrible waste of money and space.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I think we'll face too much competition for Sancho next summer anyway, so why can't our massive scouting network identify someone who isn't on the decline on a season-long loan?

I think we'll end up a bit embarrassed waiting for Sancho

Erics_Collar

Do we really want to be forking out over a million a month (and that's assuming he takes a 50% paycut or Madrid cover half his wages) to someone with the mentality Bale has shown he possesses?

In the prime years of his career and has chosen to accept being unwanted and to collect a (rather large) paycheck for showing up to training and playing golf the rest of the day instead of pushing for a move. If he wanted to move, he could have made it happen. He just didn't want to.

Don't want that attitude anywhere near our club. Imagine what that would do to the wage demands of others either at the club or looking to join the club. We were absolutely blessed to be able to get Sanchez off the bill, but not before we ended up having to pay De Gea, Martial, Rashford etc. fortunes and I dare say Sanchez's benchmark played a part in that. It would be idiotic beyond belief to willingly put ourselves in that position again.

roonster09

Scout

So one more source saying "experienced player on loan" + younger player.

klsv

Thing is, we don't do "short term" solutions. If we get Perisic or Bale, we'll probably still have them in our squad during the 2029/30 season as we haven't been able to offload them after they became deadwood after two years. Same goes for getting three players instead of Sancho as some suggested previously. We won't manage to complete three signings before the deadline closes, United just doesn't work like that. We have plan A and then we have no plan.

CG1010

If we are desperate can Bruno or VDB play on RW? Obviously not ideal. While we get Perisic as cover generally for LW

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
For me, it's Sancho or just don't bother,and at this time, it's looking like Greenwood on RW with Lingard as back up..!!

RedNed77

Perisic would be a left-winger. Doesn't change anything for our right-side.
Bale is a horrible waste of money and space.
This. OMFG why are we still being linked to him. Not a bad player, but we have Rashford, James, Martial, Greenwood who can all play LW. Only Greenwood can play on the right.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Thing is, we don't do "short term" solutions. If we get Perisic or Bale, we'll probably still have them in our squad during the 2029/30 season as we haven't been able to offload them after they became deadwood after two years. Same goes for getting three players instead of Sancho as some suggested previously. We won't manage to complete three signings before the deadline closes, United just doesn't work like that. We have plan A and then we have no plan.
Loan

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Also we’ve already got about 3 left wingers yet Perisic is still being talked about. We need someone in the right to take the burden off and not run greenwood into the ground. Get sancho and bale

IrishMcD

So lets say we sign Bale on loan for a year, pay half his wages which are rumoured to be nearly £600,000 a week, that comes out to over 15m a year!! Yet we are supposed to be 10-20m short of Dortmunds asking price? What the feck are the club doing?

roonster09

Scout
For me, it's Sancho or just don't bother,and at this time, it's looking like Greenwood on RW with Lingard as back up..!!
We can look for some player so that Lingard won't be back up. We shouldn't sign anyone on permanent deal if we cant sign Sancho but we should bring players on loan. This season schedule is too tight and our depth is very poor, especially in the attack.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You’d take lingard on the wing before a loan’d older player? I’m so glad Ed is in charge and not our fans

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If we can't get Sancho just bring Beckham back, he probably doesn't even need to run, just cross it around the defender at the age of 45.

Seriously though get Sancho, no excuses.

Wayne's World

This. OMFG why are we still being linked to him. Not a bad player, but we have Rashford, James, Martial, Greenwood who can all play LW. Only Greenwood can play on the right.
Anthony Martial started his career at Monaco as a right winger. Obviously not the best option but he's capable of playing on the right

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Both don't really make sense. Bale would cost a fortune and his way past his prime. Perisic plays more on the left.

Pretty horrible options to have to be fair.

RedNed77

Anthony Martial started his career at Monaco as a right winger. Obviously not the best option but he's capable of playing on the right
I thought that when we first signed him and clamoured for him to have a go there. He’s not been great when we have played him there though.

ChaddyP

So lets say we sign Bale on loan for a year, pay half his wages which are rumoured to be nearly £600,000 a week, that comes out to over 15m a year!! Yet we are supposed to be 10-20m short of Dortmunds asking price? What the feck are the club doing?
sancho would be playing for free you know

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Martial never started his career as a right winger, he started as a striker.