Ivan Rakitić

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Any time I’ve watched Barca, Rakitic has looked in great condition and like he can run for days - plus he has great quality with the ball. Barca are notoriously bad sellers (like us), so we can probably get a good deal, especially as they’ll want to clear his wages.
Our midfield severely lack of controlling midfielder like him. If he can run all day, and on reasonable wage, that 30m is a good business.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What, did he really say those things? Jesus.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Imagine taking past-their-prime players AKA leftovers from top teams, financing them for it, then watching them use that money for better players and get better production, while we’re shocked our newly acquired players (their ex, over the hill players) aren’t producing like they used to since we’re living in the past and going off their label with their best days behind them.

What a joke. I’m not opposed to getting proper players from top teams but feck off if it’s declining players and we pay them for it on top. Talk about a double whammy. And then we wonder why we’re slipping while other clubs keep moving ahead of us...

This isn’t a prime player or a young phenom. As if there’s going to be a high demand or bidding war anyways. Why be the laughing stock that pays for a player past his golden days?

This would be like buying a 2008 Ford Mustang that’s got 200KM on it for $20k and then watching the seller use that money to buy a brand new 2019 Tesla for only $10k more on top.

...like honestly, how haven’t some of us learnt from the likes of Matic and Alexis :confused:

lawliet354

Should have gotten him when he was at Sevilla, now he's pretty much won everything and don't think he has the motivation to play for United

eltigreFalcao

Granted, its a different league. And they didn't pay a fee for him. But some people here should open their eyes at how football can be if you just think an inch out of the square box you're in. Take a look at Andrea Pirlo's move to Juventus back in 2011.

Everyone here knows how that went. But how did it came to be? Pirlo was 32 when he left an A.C. Milan, who thaught exactly what some posters here thinks "he's past his best" "he's got no legs left". Well, football is way more than running and kicking. Proper tactical development made Pirlo look like a raw gem at 32 (being a world cup winner himself). And it was Antonio Conte's football which is not devoid of intensity.

Pirlo was also plagued with injuries in his last two seasons at A.C. Milan. And he went on to play 4 amazing, standard-setting, role-defining years at Juve.

I'm not quite expecting this to happen with Rakitic at United. I'm just a bit fed up with the quality of some of the arguments in these threads. Some people don't give football a chance. If its meant to be, it could turn out just fine. I choose to trust Ole and the staff in this kind of desition making.

But... (and its a huge but) as IDLES say:
put homophobes in coffins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sultan

SwedishFish

No thank you, past his best and he seems to be a real bellend judging from his comments about gay people.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think Rakitic's experience in La Liga and Champions League would be very helpful when United's top priority should be top 4 next year. He has no PL experience, and aging legs. That's not a good combination for providing leadership next year. Signing someone like Gueye or Ryan Fraser would make more sense. Both goes know how to play in the EPL, and would be hungry to earn their way into the champions league.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
I dont think he has the legs to run back and forth on the pitch at Old Trafford. He is used to playing in a ball possession team where he can utilise his strengths in finding openings. United should go for a more versatile younger option rather then another risk.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Unpopular opinion among Barcelona fans these days, but I still rate Rakitic and think he can be a very good player in the right circumstances.

He hasn't been great this season, but a lot of factors at Barcelona are working against him. For instance, he often plays as the RCM and thus has to spend the entire game on the right wing because Messi doesn't defend at all and always drifts inside. Rakitic also isn't the quickest, so playing alongside many other aging players that have lost pace and don't run that much has hurt him. Lastly, Valverde has probably played him a bit too often, especially after the World Cup run.

Regarding his age, Rakitic seems extremely fit and basically never injured, so I think he could easily have at least two more good years left. Not sure I would pay 55m for him at this point in his career, but he would definitely add a lot to United's midfield in the near future imo.

Jibbs

This is the perfect time for the return of EPL to the top of europe, Barcelona and both Madrids are on a decline. Premier league clubs should ensure that they do not buy any dross from these la liga clubs and sign only the most promising talent from spain. So Thanks, but no thanks for Rakitic, Umititi or Bale. Yes to Varane, Dembele and Rodri.

Seth.R

But some people here should open their eyes at how football can be if you just think an inch out of the square box you're in.
Agreed!

Every signing has to be assessed on its individual merits.

Also, this notion that we’re too good for Barca or Madrid’s “scraps” is ridiculous - we finished sixth in the Premier League. Those players may not be the best option for Barca/Madrid at a given moment, but they can be great for us given the chance.

We are not one of Europe’s elite, we’re far from it. We will not get there in one summer window. There are plenty of good players that can assist in bridging that gap over the next couple of years.

Scriblerus

He's still decent but as a strategy signing players over 30 for tens of millions is wrongheaded. If we can't find an alternative for similar money in his mid-20s, then our scouting system is not fit for purpose. Jose was the king of short-termism, but unless we have bottomless coffers it makes no sense in our current state.

Suvvernmanc

Still a top player. Good value for the figures rumoured. Similar player to Erikson, maybe less mobile though. Ball retention skills and passing is what hes good at and what we lack massively in the middle.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That entire Barcelona midfield looked washed up all season. Even Fred and McTominay were running circles around them.

Cait Sith

He would be very good for United, no doubt. Schweinsteiger comparisons are completely off. Rakitic is a bonafide starter for Barca, I think he starts more games than Messi since he joined. Schweinsteiger was already sorted out by Pep at Bayern and semi-retired. As a transitional signing for 2 or 3 years: Very good.

Ban

Apparently a player who only last year had a monstrous world cup is "past his best."

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Good player but for the price Barca will want and his age - not what we need.

He’s done a interview recently saying he wants to stay at Barca.

Personally I think this is just agent noise.

Suvvernmanc

Too old. Would be good for less than £10m.
Joking right? Troy Deeney would cost £15-20m.

Rakitic for £30m would be superb business. We payed nearly £40m for matic at a similar age. Rakitic is still twice the player Matic is.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Apparently a player who only last year had a monstrous world cup is "past his best."
Have we not learned from Sanchez how fast players can go down hill at that age? The world cup was a year ago and he hasn't looked anything like having the mobility to play in the premier league and in a style favored by solskjær.

MadMike

Let’s leave aside the fact the fact that a year can make a huge difference on players over 30 and if he was still the player he was Barca wouldn’t be selling. There’s also the thing where a lot of players are really fired up and passionate about the WC and for its short 3-week duration they can maintain a focus, energy and drive that they can’t maintain for a full season.

It’s not that Rakitic is a bad player now, per se. But if he’s leaving Barca to come here at 31 it’ll be a step down for him and it’s hard to see him putting 100% committed performances for a full season instead of becoming a non-arsed cheque collector like Sanchez.

And if he still has couple of good years in him it’s probably just that. Which makes it a short term “fix” (if it even works) that I don’t see the point in.

settembrini

I've liked him since he was at Sevilla. Which was the right time to buy him. Signing him in 2019 would be yet another example of United buying a good player at completely the wrong stage in his career.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The ageism continues. Not everyone who comes in should be 19, and not every player is meant to ‘sort a position for the next 10 years’.

When signing an older player, you need, more than ever, to consider the value, but for decent fees, it makes sense. Liverpool signed half the player in James Milner and he’s helped them massively. A team of promising young players will turn us into Arsenal.

Players can still play football at 31. Gareth Bale, I can understand, as we would be required to spend near £100m on him. But for £25m or so, Bale becomes far more attractive.

I’ve read about 5 times in this thread that ‘he’d be better than all our midfielders but he’s too old’. Why is the ‘but’ so important? The fact that he’d be the best (bar Pogba) is a pretty strong case for signing a player.

Shinjch

He would be a great upgrade on Herrera. Still a very good player and someone who is a great partner for others all over the pitch.

Ban

Have we not learned from Sanchez how fast players can go down hill at that age? The world cup was a year ago and he hasn't looked anything like having the mobility to play in the premier league and in a style favored by solskjær.
He had a good year, by end he was gassed cause he played too much. As for mobility and PL proven stuff I don't agree. He's a great player who would adapt. We can talk about age but him being past it is silly.

PieCrust

United is becoming the MLS of Europe; one last pay day for aging, past or soon to be past it players.

matt10000

We need to build a core of British players under 29 and most under 26.

We need to have a policy and stick to it unless there is an exceptional opportunity.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I thought we moved on from signing has beens? Classic Woodward signing though.

Danny Roberts

Joking right? Troy Deeney would cost £15-20m.

Rakitic for £30m would be superb business. We payed nearly £40m for matic at a similar age. Rakitic is still twice the player Matic is.
I wasn't joking. OK, maybe £10m was a slight exaggeration but using Matic as an example illustrates my point - Matic was a waste of money. I think if we're gonna take a risk the price has to be right and they won't sell at anywhere near the price I think we should pay. Maybe £15m.