Ivan Rakitić

passing-wind

Irrespective of what everyone says Rakitic would balance the midfield well, he's a good #6 who can distribute the ball from the midfield providing creativity in the centre other than Pogba.

The only issue is clearly his age, there's also other targets younger (Neves, Tielemans) who will cost similar amounts who can offer us the same benefits.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Jesus.
Was he at fined for this?? I dont remember Rakitic getting fined or punished ever.
I don't think you can fine someone for those comments as the only thing he says is that he respects gay people but doesn't want to play with them. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a footballer that agreed with him in every team that's playing. If you haven't noticed, there isn't a single gay footballer in top level football and even if you have to go to lower leagues in any country out there you'd be hard pressed finding one.

berbasloth4

Their easier to sell off and recoup a good amount of what you spent. See Memphis and Schneiderlin.
Not our money, its not going to put the club at any risk. If there is more chance of it improving us on the pitch then make the signing

Kapardin

He is quality, but expect him to tail off like Matic in a couple of seasons. Wouldn't mind if he is available though.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So, if this happens we are continuing our same shite transfer strategy that brought us where we are now?

And many here would be happy with this transfer for some reason.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He may be on the wrong side of 30 but “When people see Rakitic’s name on the team sheet...that’s going to send some shivers down the spine”

SiRed

I Cant understand the negativity on this rumour. All this season our CBs have been playing balls into our midfielders, only for miscontrol 2nd touch always a tackle (Fred), The ball to be played straight back to the CB despite having space to turn (Herrera) and the midfielder try to turn with the ball but take about 4 games to do it (Matic)

Now we are linked with a baller, actually capable of playing 1 and touch touch which will speed up our tumescent play no end. Can control the ball effortlessly. Can work in a press system, good eye for a pass and good appreciation of team mates space and everyone is going on how he is 31 ffs.

So what, if its 30 mil, thats nothing, it plugs a gap, improves our team and allows us to build other areas of the squad.

Im sure the same people would moan if we bought Neves, but filled the right wing with Daniel James and signed Alderwiereld for CB.

Our squad needs so much work its impossible to fill all or the 6 or 7 positions with 70-100 mil players.
Its a balancing act and signing Rakitic makes a lot of sense if it means we go big on CB, RB and RW.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Now we are linked with a baller, actually capable of playing 1 and touch touch which will speed up our tumescent play no end. Can control the ball effortlessly. Can work in a press system, good eye for a pass and good appreciation of team mates space and everyone is going on how he is 31 ffs.
He is not kind of player you think he is. He is more Fletcher than Scholes. What you described is more Modric than Rakitic.

Beaucoup

He may be on the wrong side of 30 but “When people see Rakitic’s name on the team sheet...that’s going to send some shivers down the spine”
Only if you’re a black, fat, gay dwarf!

Walters_19_MuFc

A midfield dictator that we've been in need of since the retirement of Carrick. I'd have him here, however, with the profile of player Ole is said to be looking at, buying Rakitic for the rumoured 48M at his age doesn't quite fit the criteria.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I would take Rakitic on a favorable deal all day long.

There's no doubt that he would adapt. He's a baller. He ran rings around England with Croatia just last summer.

But, I don't actually think we have any chance though.

He doesn't strike me as having any intention of leaving Barca at all. I also don't think he would come here just for money. He would probably think we were beneath him. Like Bale did when we were after him when Moyes was here.

DSG

He’s a good footballer, class on the ball. These are the pros.

Cons: racist/homophobic. 31. Will require at least a 3yr contract at high wages.

He may be an extra midfielder on a team with title aspirations. He doesn’t fit where we are as a club right now.

SiRed

He is not kind of player you think he is. He is more Fletcher than Scholes. What you described is more Modric than Rakitic.
Every player in that Barca team is a baller mate.
They all play 2 touch, we didnt get near them yet again. Rakitic being one of the players to excel at 2 touch.

dokmaaa

Supports
GNK Dinamo Zagreb
So a player that runs the most and plays most games per season in a Barca team that won the league easily is not good for United?! Barca is miles ahead of us and player like Rakitic would be great addition. Better composure and defensive play than Matic and his passing abilities are on par or even better than Pogbas.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
we didnt get near them yet again
We didn't get near far worse teams than Barcelona, yet midfield of Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum outplayed them.

So a player that runs the most and plays most games per season in a Barca team that won the league easily is not good for United?! Barca is miles ahead of us and player like Rakitic would be great addition. Better composure and defensive play than Matic and his passing abilities are on par or even better than Pogbas.
Who said that?

QUOTE="dokmaaa, post: 24186020, member: 116918"]Barca is miles ahead of us and player like Rakitic would be great addition. Better composure and defensive play than Matic and his passing abilities are on par or even better than Pogbas.[/QUOTE]

No they are not, not even close, did you even qatch him ever? He is maybe more consistent passer in a way that he doesn't make mistakes as Pogba, but his passing is pretty much average. Did you ever watch him for Croatia?

VanKenny

Nope. He's the player with the most minutes played under Valverde's Barca, and that is for a reason. He's a consistent 8 on every game, can do everything (pass, shoot, possesion, defending) so he fits in pretty much every tactic.

Some Barcelona fans want him out because of his age and because they feel he's going to block youngsters like De Jong, Aleña, the new dutch signing, Puig etc, but i dont see it that way.

He's a world class midfielder that wants to play for the team. Yes, hes 31 but still in pretty good shape and physical condition. Would not want to sell him. Im more worried about Busquets TBH.

Wheato

No thank you. A 31 year old on the wane. We've already got enough of them. Barca wouldn't be trying to ship him out if he was up to much. Maddison, Yes. Erikson, Yes. Bruno Fernandez, Yes.

Rakitic can get his final pay day somewhere else please.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Fletcher?:lol::lol:. He is more like a Carrick. Nowhere near Fletcher.
How the feck is he more like Carrick when he spent majority of his career playing box to box, or even more advanced role before Barca from what I can remember?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How the feck is he more like Carrick when he spent majority of his career playing box to box, or even more advanced role before Barca from what I can remember?
Mate,you don't have a clue what are you talking about here. I am watching this guy whole my life. He is midfield playmaker. Played on no10 for Sevilla, played 6,8 and 10 for Croatia( on all positions was playmaker, not water carrier), playing classic central midfielder for Barca.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Mate,you don't have a clue what are you talking about here. I am watching this guy whole my life. He is midfield playmaker. Played on no10 for Sevilla, played 6,8 and 10 for Croatia( on all positions was playmaker, not water carrier), playing classic central midfielder for Barca.
So, nothing like Carrick then? :lol:

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Midfield playmaker. Nothing like Fletcher. Completely two different players
So you are saying he was a midfield playmaker playing next to Modric for Croatia? What was Modric then, a watee carrier?

Or next to Busquets and Iniesta, or even Xavi during one period for Barca? I reckon the Spaniards were water carriers for him?

For someone you watched your entire life you surely don't know much about him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So you are saying he was a midfield playmaker playing next to Modric for Croatia? What was Modric then, a watee carrier?

Or next to Busquets and Iniesta, or even Xavi during one period for Barca? I reckon the Spaniards were water carriers for him?

For someone you watched your entire life you surely don't know much about him.
So Xavi was just help for Iniesta? Kroos for Modric? Team can have more than one playmaking players, you know? You don't have clue about Rakitic and football in general i guess

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
So Xavi was just help for Iniesta? Kroos for Modric? Team can have more than one playmaking players, you know? You don't have clue about Rakitic and football in general i guess
Of course you can, you can have 10 playmakers on the pitch but that wasn't his job. He is box to box, and excellent box to box, actually it's difficult to find better example of box to box midfielder than Rakitic. Which isn't bad by any means, just that you are sensitive that I compared him with Fletcher thinking I was underrating him, when positionally they are identical players. They even both preferred right side of the midfield. And then embarassed yourself comparing him with Carrick when is nothing alike Carrick, not positionally, and not with his style of play either. Positionally he is actually more Pogba than Carrick.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Fletcher is an energetic midfield, box to box & used to play as right midfield in his younger days.

Rakitic isn’t energetic midfielder, defensively not too impressive, & I usually see Busquest works his shocks off more in defending than Rakitic. I won’t even compare him to Carrick but at least both players can actually play good pass & got good vision, so there is a few comparison.

There is nothing like between Fletcher & Rakitic apart from their height.

And no. I say no for this transfer unless if he’s available very cheap fees around 15m-20m with wages between 100k to 160k.

NoPace

So, if this happens we are continuing our same shite transfer strategy that brought us where we are now?

And many here would be happy with this transfer for some reason.
It's like a tempting James Rodriguez buy if Madrid are selling him for 30M or so. Seems like good value, but we have to build a team, not just plug holes.

Though if we can shift Matic to Italy for 5M and Rakitic costs 15M on bit higher wages that's good business for the next 2 years.

Chairman Steve

Yet another one you could file under ‘peaked, once-good footballer looking for payday and pension’.

Abandon this demographic and get people who want to play for us and not people who want to get paid by us

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Not that I think that it‘ll happen:

If we really sign him, I am done with this club for good.
I draw the line at racist homophobic dwarfhating assholes.
Ryan Giggs shagged his brother's wife and pressured her into getting an abortion.

Roy Keane admitted to deliberately going out to hurt another player.

We've had worse!

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
Ryan Giggs shagged his brother's wife and pressured her into getting an abortion.

Roy Keane admitted to deliberately going out to hurt another player.

We've had worse!
I wouldn't call it worse. Don't get me wrong: What Ryan did to his brother is awful. And somebody who deliberately tries to hurt somebody should never play the game again. However, hating people because of the color of their skin or sexuality is a different level of evil. At least for me.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

I wouldn't call it worse. Don't get me wrong: What Ryan did to his brother is awful. And somebody who deliberately tries to hurt somebody should never play the game again. However, hating people because of the color of their skin or sexuality is a different level of evil. At least for me.
His comments to me seem like they came from someone who's extremely thick rather than evil.

I don't wanna sign him either, btw, but for this reason:
Yet another one you could file under ‘peaked, once-good footballer looking for payday and pension’.

Abandon this demographic and get people who want to play for us and not people who want to get paid by us
Very well said