Ivan Rakitić

Negative Red

We're short on numbers and short on quality. He is a number with quality. I'm all for it...as long as it's on a short term deal/loan.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It would make lot of sense considering we love our old and overrated players coming here for their last big fat contract.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Barring any setbacks you'll have Matic, Fred, McTominay and Pogba for 2 midfield spots if you assume Bruno takes the #10 role. Can't see a place for him and not the age group to sit on the bench or be one for the future either. Bellingham or Soumare either now or in the summer makes far more sense.

Xaviboy

I'd like to see him come in. Quality on the ball and better then some of options we already have.

Dolf

If we buy him we'll have trouble getting rid of him when he declines, which won't take long considering he turns 32 in a month. He'll probably demand high wages too.

Mainoldo

Barring any setbacks you'll have Matic, Fred, McTominay and Pogba for 2 midfield spots if you assume Bruno takes the #10 role. Can't see a place for him and not the age group to sit on the bench or be one for the future either. Bellingham or Soumare either now or in the summer makes far more sense.
Have you not acknowledged our squad is thin. He’s cheap and is better than everyone but Pogba. He doesn’t need to start every week. But with the amount of games we will hopefully be playing next season. Well needed and perfect for players like McTominay and Bruno to learn off.

jackal&hyde

Would love it for a couple of years. McTom and Matic for DM, Fred and Rakitic for box to box and Pogba and Bruno for AM.

Bojan Djordjic

These are exactly the types of stop-gap transfers United should just avoid at this point. Just because you get somebody for a cheap transfer fee, doesn't make it cheap. His wages are certainly not going to be cheap. Us not qualifying for Champions League because we've only got teenagers and pensioners is not cheap.

No doubt Rakitic has been a very good player but he's very much on a downward trajectory in his career. United have been in a "re-building phase" for the last six or seven years and these kind of signings are just delaying us every reaching the target operating model. I'd far prefer to see them sign the "next Rakitic" now who we might need patience with this year or even next but will eventually enjoy his peak years at United. It's so frustrating seeing our transfer targets sometimes. You would never see Liverpool linked with this kind of transfer, never mind Barca or Real. It's just dumb use of resources.

Reactions: van der star

Walters_19_MuFc

I'd take him on loan. Whilst he lacks dynamism, he has the ability to dictate the tempo of a game. Stick him next to Fred/McTominay and we have a good balance.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
He still looked a class act playing for Croatia last summer in the World Cup. Given his age he's a risk but if he's available on loan with an option to buy he's got to be worth a look at.

sport2793

I read somewhere that if Bruno was completed that they wouldn't go in for Rakitic.

jackal&hyde

McT is not a CDM he is more of a box to box. We should bring in a proper CDM to start over Matic.
I don't think he is good enough with his passing and general attacking play to be box to box. All action DM is what i see him as but can play box to box too.

Champagne Football

I'm pretty sure this is a non starter. ESPN are the only ones reporting it and they're well dodgy. I think there was an earlier story by Sport newspaper in Spain, and they are worse than the daily star. And looks like ESPN jumped on the bandwagon of their story.

Nori-

If we can get him for under £30m, do it. He'll add bags of experience and quality.

Anything more than £30m, save our money until the summer and put that towards a younger player with a long term future at United.

Hammondo

I don't think he is good enough with his passing and general attacking play to be box to box. All action DM is what i see him as but can play box to box too.
He's defo a box to box. He's not a DM in any way.

poleglass red

He's only 31, I think a lot of people on here assume he's much older. He played all but 4 of Barca's league games last season. If he did come here it would be a short term deal only, not sure some grasp that. I think he'd be a quality experienced addition down the final stretch. Even with fresh Pogba back, we still lack that type who can dictate games.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's only 31, I think a lot of people on here assume he's much older. He played all but 4 of Barca's league games last season. If he did come here it would be a short term deal only, not sure some grasp that. I think he'd be a quality experienced addition down the final stretch. Even with fresh Pogba back, we still lack that type who can dictate games.
Why would he come on a short-term deal? If we could get him on loan for the rest of the season it would be an absolute no brainer, but to buy him and give him a huge contract for multiple years would be daft.

fps

If we can get him for under £30m, do it. He'll add bags of experience and quality.

Anything more than £30m, save our money until the summer and put that towards a younger player with a long term future at United.
Far too much money for a basically 32 year old with no resale and nowhere to go but down.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Barcelona fans hate him, but they’re the most precious fans I’ve ever seen.

Hard to say how good he still is. Does he still have the hunger and desire to play at the top level?

RoLo

Despicable human being that I wouldn't want to see anywhere near our football club.

Nori-

Far too much money for a basically 32 year old with no resale and nowhere to go but down.
Just seen his birthday is March 10, agreed £30m too much in that case, £15-20m would work. If we get 3 seasons out of him, that would be great. If Barca would sell him for that amount or if he would even join, is a different issue.

MDFC Manager

Despicable human being that I wouldn't want to see anywhere near our football club.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
Why what's he done?
In an interview with Offside Mag, a Spanish sports website, the central midfielder - who was playing for Sevilla at the time - was asked about his thoughts on the decision of Fifa to fine then-president of the Croatian Football Federation, Vlatko Markovic, for comments he made saying that "in no way could a gay man play in the national team" and that "fortunately, football is only played by healthy people".

Asked to respond, Rakitic allegedly said that while he respects gay people, he would no more want them in his life than he would a black person, a fat person or a dwarf.

"I respect homosexuals, but I do not want those people in the locker room. I would not leave a team for that, because I respect a homosexual equal to a black, a fat or a dwarf, but if possible I prefer not to have gays in my life," he allegedly said.

Danillaco

Loans for him and Jovic, along with Fernandes would be a tremendous window, considering all things.

TrebleFan99

IF we did this too, suddenly the midfield pool is looking a lot better.
Thank you! I don’t understand the negativity around this potential transfer. We need experience, quality, and warm bodies - he ticks all the boxes.

He also won’t cost a fortune and considering we’ve sold off half the squad I think we can make room for his wages.

Last edited:

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
if people dont want saudi to buy the club then how could they want a man with views like rakitics anywhere near here?!

sp_107

Than

Thank you! I don’t understand the negativity around this potential transfer. We need experience, quality, and warm bodies - he ticks all the boxes.

He also won’t cost a fortune and considering we’ve sold off half the squad I think we can make room for his wages.
He mentioned few times that he is not interested in EPL as he likes the life style in Barcelona. His wife also happy with where they are as they dont want to disturb their kids education. Recently she mentioned that.

Do we need another player who's heart is not really set to play for UTD?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I remembered he said something homophobic but I'd forgotten just now bad it was. Yikes.