Ivan Toney | Banned until 16th January 2024 Stay on Topic!

JagUTD

Can he appeal? Based on Bartons ban, of he does and is successful I'd assume they'll knock about 30% off, so 5.5 months, back late October, early November time.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Had he bet on games that he was involved in then I think he would have been in far more trouble.
Exactly. That's what I meant by how this isn't equivalent to insider trading. Brentford player places bets on non-Brentford games and gets a 7 and a half month longer ban than John Terry got for using racist language towards Anton Ferdinand.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

No doubt he would have been, but he could ring up an ex-teammate and say, kick the ball out in first min and I'll give you 10K, I'm not saying he did any of that, but that's an example of why players aren't allowed to bet because it'd be nigh on impossible to prove or stop
Using that logic, any person who is friends with a professional footballer could ring them up and tell them to kick the ball out in the first minute. Toney is not in a position where he has any more of an advantage in influencing non-Brentford games than your average joe.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Using that logic, any person who is friends with a professional footballer could ring them up and tell them to kick the ball out in the first minute. Toney is not in a position where he has any more of an advantage in influencing non-Brentford games than your average joe.
I rather suspect he knows a lot more pro players than the average Joe, but of course your scenario is plausible and pretty much impossible to stop

pascell

Few things

- I understand banning him from playing but if he's banned from training too it's a bit nonsensical.
- The PL and football needs to step up with it's ban on gambling sponsorships etc. In a world where it almost consumes football at times it's ridiculous to not know that some footballers will be influenced and get sucked into doing it, despite it being banned. There are probably far more that do it and there are far more that do other things like illegal drugs that get hushed up.
Wait, he's not even allowed to train? How's he supposed to keep in reasonable shape for 8 months?! I hope it doesn't have an impact on his mental health, although he'll hold his hands up and agree it was wrong to bet so many times, stripping him of his livelihood is a completely different matter.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Glad I turned over from that pathetic Brighton collapse. Sevilla-Juve is getting proper tasty. Sevilla just won’t die in this comp. Unreal.

Huddsred

When you consider that Suarez only got an 8 game ban for racially abusing Evra, and how much money the Premier League is happy to take from gambling companies in sponsorship deals, it seems perverse that Toney gets banned for the best part of a year for betting on matches that he presumably wasn't involved in in any way.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Wait, he's not even allowed to train? How's he supposed to keep in reasonable shape for 8 months?! I hope it doesn't have an impact on his mental health, although he'll hold his hands up and agree it was wrong to bet so many times, stripping him of his livelihood is a completely different matter.
He's only banned from training until September

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Can he appeal? Based on Bartons ban, of he does and is successful I'd assume they'll knock about 30% off, so 5.5 months, back late October, early November time.
From a very decent source the latest I have seen is that the length of ban is probably NOT unjustified given the facts of the case taking into account aggravating and mitigating factors. I am guessing the Written Reasons will go some way to explaining the severity of the ban when they are published. So maybe he won’t appeal but let’s see.

cyberman

He should have been banned for a lot longer, he was betting on his team to lose.

Absolute horse shit.

Brophs

The One and Only
He is also, or at least was at the time of the hearing, still gambling. He’ll need to get proper help for that quickly, otherwise he could be back here in a year or two.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I would not have bet on him scoring 20 goals in a season.

He might have though, I guess.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Aye. It's right that a diagnosed gambling addiction should be taken into account (and it's extremely believeable given his pattern of betting) but even still, he's quite lucky with the punishment he got. Betting on your own team to lose is a big problem, even if you're not in the squad on those particular occassions.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I would not have bet on him scoring 20 goals in a season.

He might have though, I guess.
I think we've reached the point we should start handing out warnings for making this joke.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Betting on yourself and your own team (even if you're not playing) is very serious and if in the lower leagues could have been worse for him. Barton for example was given an 18 month ban.

Definitely should be given some help by the FA/PL with his gambling issues as part of this ban though. They are partly to blame.

Oranges038

Should be banned for life.

I think this will take away his chances of getting a move to a bigger club, cant see anyone willing to buy him next summer, especially if he doesn't hit the same heights in the second half of next season.

MrSpock

The hypocrisy is half of the team’s in Premiership are promoting gambling on their shirts and the league is sponsored by Skybet

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Should be banned for life.

I think this will take away his chances of getting a move to a bigger club, cant see anyone willing to buy him next summer, especially if he doesn't hit the same heights in the second half of next season.
I think you should have to be found guilty of fixing for that.

Brophs

The One and Only
I think we've reached the point we should start handing out warnings for making this joke.
Are you try to wager a war on jokes like that? Evens if it were possible, it’s quite likely they might slip. And it probably won’t make an odds bit of difference.

Hulme91

And this is why you should wait until the full story comes out before jumping on an opinion
The guy is lucky to only get 8 months, very very lucky

Giggsyking

8 months looks very light now. He should be banned for a longer period. This is cheating to make money.

Tarrou

seems quite fair to me?

he wasn't trying to influence the games at all, just betting on himself and his own team to do well

its stupid and deserves a lengthy ban, but don't think any further punishment is waranted

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
seems quite fair to me?

he wasn't trying to influence the games at all, just betting on himself and his own team to do well

its stupid and deserves a lengthy ban, but don't think any further punishment is waranted
Sorry but that’s not how it works. How do we know he wasn’t influencing results . This goes from a simple gambling issue to a match fixing issue imo

Smores

Sorry but that’s not how it works. How do we know he wasn’t influencing results . This goes from a simple gambling issue to a match fixing issue imo
For all we know he could have scored in all those fixtures so it's difficult to judge without the facts. I'd imagine those with the actual information deemed match fixing not to have occurred.

Ban seems fair to me but the bigger issue would be with his team mates who I'm sure won't appreciate him betting on them to lose.

Oranges038

I think you should have to be found guilty of fixing for that.
Wasn't really being too serious with that, but betting on or against his own team, who's to say whethter or not he didn't do his best to influence those results.

He should be banned for longer, Rio got 8 months for not pissing in a cup.

IRN-BRUno

There were 13 bets on his team to lose, 11 of those were Newcastle when he was out on loan and 2 were Wigan when he was on loan there but not in the squad. So it's obviously not great, but not really close to match-fixing or in a position to influence the result either.

Red Royal

Has it been reported the magnitude of the bets... like was it small amounts (for him) of say £1000 a time or was it £100k a time.
Seems to me he had an addiction, tried to cover up/lie when caught but no evidence of match fixing.

I wonder if there are other players out there now trying to cover their tracks.
With all the betting sponsorship it is no wonder this eventually happened.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
match fixing by trying extra hard to score and win
I think you are underestimating what gambling & money does to you. This is a man who after all this is still betting on other sports. What if he is in a position to pass for an easy goal but is shooting because he desperately needs to score , is that not a problem ?

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I hope he gets the help he needs, he's obviously got a very bad gambling addiction.