Ivan Toney | Banned until 16th January 2024 Stay on Topic!

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Isn't Osimhen broken all the time? Seems to get injured a lot for a player in Seria A.
Would get Phil Jonesed in the PL

Trex

I like him. Bring him to the theatre

He is free to come watch games. When it comes to British players the standard tend to drop among the fan base. We should buy players who are top class/ world class (Eriksen, Casemiro) or promising talents already at a good level (Antony, Malacia, Martinez). Ivan is your run of the mill EPL forward (good player), not what you want if you want to compete at the very top in the league and Europe.

TsuWave

He is free to come watch games. When it comes to British players the standard tend to drop among the fan base. We should buy players who are top class/ world class (Eriksen, Casemiro) or promising talents already at a good level (Antony, Malacia, Martinez). Ivan is your run of the mill EPL forward (good player), not what you want if you want to compete at the very top in the league and Europe.
I’m not trying to read any of this nonsense. Ivan Toney is a very good player that would make us stronger. Considerably too.

We paid a fortune for a fidget spinner in Antony and he’s not at a level higher than Toney. No one in our forward line is currently.

United finished 6th with a 0 goal difference. We have some way go to compete at the very top of the league and in Europe and Toney can help us in said way.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m not trying to read any of this nonsense. Ivan Toney is a very good player that would make us stronger. Considerably too.

We paid a fortune for a fidget spinner in Antony and he’s not at a level higher than Toney. No one in our forward line is currently.

United finished 6th with a 0 goal difference. We have some way go to compete at the very top of the league and in Europe and Toney can help us in said way.
I agree Toney would be a good signing but unsure why there’s a need to shit on Antony when he’s just set foot at the club?

TsuWave

I agree Toney would be a good signing but unsure why there’s a need to shit on Antony when he’s just set foot at the club?
I understand being protective of new signings, but I wasn’t shitting on Antony. We did pay a fortune for him, and the fidget spinner remark was lighthearted in intent and alluding at his trademark skill. I’m a fan and I hope he becomes a beast for us - post history can attest.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’d argue our biggest issue is not hitting on the players in the middle. I hate to keep returning to them but Pool for a period scouted players with EPL experience who just needed to be brought on further.

I’ve not truly seen enough of Toney to say whether he is good enough but we shouldn’t restrict ourselves to the 2 types of signings you mention. Van Dijk, Mane, Robertson, Wijnaldum say hello. We need to be more proactive with courting these players.

Remember the geese

He'd be a good second choice striker. I'm not convinced he is our answer to Haaland. I'm also not convinced that Brentford would want a second choice fee.

Trex

Toney is better than all our forwards you say. I have had it all now.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He'd be a good second choice striker. I'm not convinced he is our answer to Haaland. I'm also not convinced that Brentford would want a second choice fee.
Haaland is an outlier talent so no forward we're going to sign will stack up in that comparison.

But generally I agree. If we signed Toney he'd currently be our best CF but I don't think it would be long before there were calls to sell someone like Martial and bring in legitimately top level CF talent who would then push Toney into a squad role.

At which point you have to ask if there's a legitimately top level CF talent we could sign next summer instead, cutting out that middle step.

Remember the geese

Do we need a second Choice 9, who is the first choice?
We haven't really got a first or second choice number 9, unless we consider an injury prone Martial. That's the problem. I don't rate Toney highly enough to be first choice, but he would be a good second choice. However, he would cost £60-80m and that money would be better served going towards a bona-fide top class striker, or one who at least has the potential to be.

Remember the geese

Haaland is an outlier talent so no forward we're going to sign will stack up in that comparison.

But generally I agree. If we signed Toney he'd currently be our best CF but I don't think it would be long before there were calls to sell someone like Martial and bring in legitimately top level CF talent who would then push Toney into a squad role.

At which point you have to ask if there's a legitimately top level CF talent we could sign next summer instead, cutting out that middle step.
What you describe is our dilemma. It's almost a choice between two options.

Option 1: Moving for a world class, but ageing striker. Kane or Benzema come to mind.

Option 2: Taking a bit of a Nunez-like punt on one of the many younger options out there in the hope that they could reach that level.

It's also very possible that we won't have the luxury of Option 1.

TheRedHearted

His price is likely to shoot up after his first cap :rolleyes:
We will only sign him if he is overpriced, so the more expensive the better! Couldn’t we have got antony at 45 million at the beginning of the window? Same with maguire, could have had him cheaper the year before. But our system is clear. With big signings, only sign when it’s way over price!

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I actually thought Liverpool would look at him as a "Plan B" player instead of just spamming crosses into the box to a bunch of short arses but they obvious decided to go with Nunez.

Think he's who Liverpool should have went for and used the rest of the Nunez cash to invest in the midfield.
I still think Liverpool missed a trick by not bringing him in last summer and using the remaining cash to bolster the midfield.

I'm not sure if he's top top quality but think he could more than do a job as a squad player at a top team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's the best option we can go for in the summer.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I just posted in the Georgian Messi thread.

We should unearth a really good striker in smaller leagues.

Toney is really good but will cost a bomb.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
We will only sign him if he is overpriced, so the more expensive the better! Couldn’t we have got antony at 45 million at the beginning of the window? Same with maguire, could have had him cheaper the year before. But our system is clear. With big signings, only sign when it’s way over price!
This fits with our MO of selling players at peak value too ;)

What a lovely finish for the first goal tonight - pure class.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The beeb article mentions he’s perfect from the penalty spot. So you know he’ll miss if he’s taking one at the WC.

Wheato

Remember when we were scrambling around for a second striker and we ended up with Ighalo on loan? While we were doing this, Brentford signed Ivan Toney for 5 million quid. He was EFL top goal scorer and player of the season. He has proved that the step up hasn't held him back at all. If anything, he is better in the PL.

The other night, when we couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, (33 attempts on goal) Toney would have been looking at double figures. He just knows where the goal is and has honed his talents into becoming a top striker. I watched him last night and that first goal was sublime. His movement, his first touch, his confidence. He really is at the top of his game. Imagine him getting top quality service from Erikson and Bruno.

He's not even a gamble. Relying on the fitness of Martial or the diminishing talent of Ronaldo is a gamble.

Go and get him. He will score 25+ goals every season. He's also got another 5-7 years at the top level, so even when he's not in the first team, he can come on from the bench and score goals.

the_cliff

Agree with everyone here. He's a brilliant player and has scored goals at every level he's played at (From league 2). Works hard, has good hold up play, presses like an animal and knows where the goal is (8 in 10 is a brilliant return).
Would instantly be our best striker.

He also had very good chemistry with Eriksen, the end of last season iirc. That's another positive.

Last edited: