Ivan Toney | Banned until 16th January 2024 Stay on Topic!

Classical Mechanic

Having an amazing season for Brentford with 25 goals and 9 assists in 32 games. We often hear grumbling on the CAF that we don’t sign guys like Maddison from the Championship only to be interested when their clubs want £100m for them. Is he a guy we should be looking at in the event of no Haaland?

Worth noting that Brentford have one of the most sophisticated scouting systems about which is why they keep getting these gems and making profit.

He looks to be a complete forward who scores all type of goals and is especially good in the air.

Tarrou

never heard of him but he looks quality in those clips

what a name as well

Thiagoal

Saw him score an overhead kick as an 18 year old for my local side Northampton Town and new he was way too good to be kicking about in the lower leagues! Lost his way somewhat at Newcastle but Peterborough reignited him and now he’s a very polished forward! I expect he’ll be playing in the Prem next season whether Brentford get promoted or not!

prateik

Brentford signed him from Peterborough.. managed by Fergie jr.
Should have told Ole to sign him.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
My choice to replace Lacazette for us. Think he's got a bit of everything.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah and he's seemingly making the step up really well. At a decent price, he could be a reasonable punt, but with Martial underwhelming, we might need to invest in a bona fide starter.
Watkins never really had season in the Championship as good as Toney is now though. Toney stepped up from a great season in League One to be even better at the higher level. He offers everything martial doesn’t too, tap ins, putting his face on the line to score etc.

It would be a gambLe of course.

AgentSmith

If Brighton survive and Brentford fail to get promoted they should move heaven and earth for him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Watkins never really had season in the Championship as good as Toney is now though. Toney stepped up from a great season in League One to be even better at the higher level. He offers everything martial doesn’t too, tap ins, putting his face on the line to score etc.

It would be a gambLe of course.
Yeah he looks like a proper CF from that video. I don’t need convincing and I’m sure there’d be a few suitors come end of season.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
No thanks.
He will cut it in the Championship but no where near Premiership quality.
Brentford use stats to buy their players, similar to baseball and other American sports, rather like Liverpool also.
You can bet without doubt that should they get promoted they already have their sights on a better striker.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Said in another thread, but I'd make him or Edouard from Celtic our (relatively) cheap punt signing.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Three seasons in a row now we have had 24 plus goal strikers (three different players) - there is no fluke in that.

Three completely different players in Maupay, Watkins and Toney.

If I had to choose one of the three as being the best I think I'd reluctantly go for Toney as all three are up there in my all time favourite Bees players. I go for Toney as he is going to score the most out of all of them but also because of his attitude and mentality. He is a born winner and by all accounts an absolute gem to have around the dressing room. A top top player and I hope he fires us to the promised land this season - just massively gutted not to be there to see it!

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Brentford must be one of the best clubs in Europe regarding analytics, right? Anyway they certainly are a well run club.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Saw him score an overhead kick as an 18 year old for my local side Northampton Town and new he was way too good to be kicking about in the lower leagues! Lost his way somewhat at Newcastle but Peterborough reignited him and now he’s a very polished forward! I expect he’ll be playing in the Prem next season whether Brentford get promoted or not!
I remember him playing for 'The Cobblers', very talented boy, and agree he was destined for greater things. I don't think he got a look in at Newcastle, so was probably a bit despondent when he signed for Posh, but they saw something in him, and have made a bit of money out of him, as Brentford will if they don't get promoted this season. He certainly knows where the goal is, and he loves getting on the end of balls into the box, probably the complete opposite to Martial.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
No thanks.
He will cut it in the Championship but no where near Premiership quality.
Brentford use stats to buy their players, similar to baseball and other American sports, rather like Liverpool also.
You can bet without doubt that should they get promoted they already have their sights on a better striker.
It's not moneyball - that's just lazy journalism, you are right though we leverage stats but we also employ traditional scouting methods and are heavily influenced by the players mentality and character. He could have the best stats in the world but if the player is a total arse he is not going to be joining us.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Without knowing the player don't think trying to take a risk in one signing like this every season coming from this type of clubs is a bad idea. At worse if he flops the amount of money spent isn't the same one as signing someone from abroad. Of course the problem is any club who United approaches will inflate the value of the player. Surely at a club like Brighton he would be a top signing.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's not moneyball - that's just lazy journalism, you are right though we leverage stats but we also employ traditional scouting methods and are heavily influenced by the players mentality and character. He could have the best stats in the world but if the player is a total arse he is not going to be joining us.
Yup, same as United, we have taken the mentality and character over stats recently, which is good to see.
Brentfords stat based scouting is well documented, some great in depth articles out there.

mav_9me

I don't know if he is good enough as I haven't seen him before but based off that youtube video definitely the type of striker we need. Someone who wants to be on the end of things in the box.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Brentford must be one of the best clubs in Europe regarding analytics, right? Anyway they certainly are a well run club.
Our owner Matthew Benham has his own stats company that he has been very successful with and sells his data to gamblers to use in their own betting. We as a club have access to all this data and that obviously gives us an advantage over other teams we are competing against who don't have that access. As always it's about how you use and interpret that data and luckily we have some very smart people at the club helping us with that. Internally the club has, what is known as the Justice League, it looks at the underlying stats and places clubs in their "true" positions based on their stats. Obviously this can course some consternation as the only real table that matters is the league table but also allows us to make decisions more rationally than at some other clubs. For example sticking with Thomas Frank when his first dozen games were 1 win, a couple of draws and loads of defeats.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
I don't know if he is good enough as I haven't seen him before but based off that youtube video definitely the type of striker we need. Someone who wants to be on the end of things in the box.
He is more of a striker than Martial ever will be that's for sure ;)

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Our owner Matthew Benham has his own stats company that he has been very successful with and sells his data to gamblers to use in their own betting. We as a club have access to all this data and that obviously gives us an advantage over other teams we are competing against who don't have that access. As always it's about how you use and interpret that data and luckily we have some very smart people at the club helping us with that. Internally the club has, what is known as the Justice League, it looks at the underlying stats and places clubs in their "true" positions based on their stats. Obviously this can course some consternation as the only real table that matters is the league table but also allows us to make decisions more rationally than at some other clubs. For example sticking with Thomas Frank when his first dozen games were 1 win, a couple of draws and loads of defeats.
Would be a good example for clubs outside the top 5 leagues in Europe, the business model, even if there are good examples, certainly more healthy than having football agents running your club.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Without knowing the player don't think trying to take a risk in one signing like this every season coming from this type of clubs is a bad idea. At worse if he flops the amount of money spent isn't the same one as signing someone from abroad. Of course the problem is any club who United approaches will inflate the value of the player. Surely at a club like Brighton he would be a top signing.
Could they afford him? He will go for more than Maupay and Watkins - that much is certain.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Could they afford him? He will go for more than Maupay and Watkins - that much is certain.
The money don't know, but they certainly are a example good football without proper players for that position can relegate your team, that's for sure.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Would be a good example for clubs outside the top 5 leagues in Europe, the business model, even if there are good examples, certainly more healthy than having football agents running your club.
We have had our fair share of utter shitbag owners Messers Noades and David Webb spring to mind. We are so blessed to have an owner who has both the financial clout to rescue the club from the dark days of collecting money in buckets after games in the Third division and the vision and skill to run the club in such a forward thinking way.

Having not been in the top league in England since the 40's and only experiencing one season in the second tier before making it into the Championship in 2014 - this is easily the best time of my Brentford supporting life. My daughter is lucky she has only experienced us in the championship - never seen us get smashed at the likes of Dagenham and Redbridge (no disrespect to them).

It's a great feeling to be considered one of the best run clubs in the country.

Dante

Average bang
What's his touch, passing and hold-up play like?

We saw with Lukaku that Ole expects more from his strikers than only end product.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Almost joined Celtic before Brentford.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was a goal machine at Peterborough and has made the step up to the Championship seamlessly.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Certainly seems much better at this level than Maupay and Watkins ever were.

Highly doubt we’ll go for him (or any other ‘big 6’ club, really) - but you’d imagine he’ll do some damage at a mid table PL side who play some good football next season.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Certainly seems much better at this level than Maupay and Watkins ever were.

Highly doubt we’ll go for him (or any other ‘big 6’ club, really) - but you’d imagine he’ll do some damage at a mid table PL side who play some good football next season.
Yeah that will be us hopefully ;)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah that will be us hopefully ;)
Ha. Maybe - aren’t you normally constantly hovering around promotion but fumble at the final hurdle? Here’s hoping this time is different for you.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
What's his touch, passing and hold-up play like?

We saw with Lukaku that Ole expects more from his strikers than only end product.
Well he leads both the Goals Scored and Assists charts in the Championship so he is not just a goal machine. He battles the centre backs and can hold up the ball and lay it off in a way Watkins or Maupay never could.