Ivan Toney | Banned until 16th January 2024 Stay on Topic!

redrobed

Please no. Screams Daniel James all over again. Barely aware of who he is and barely aware of who any of the teams he’s played for are (no disrespect intended). Surely we’ve scrimped enough at this stage that we can shop around for a top CF.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Has anyone been linked with him? I think he could be the next championship player to step up. he looks like he has the tools to play at a higher level but no idea of his ceiling. He kind of reminds me of DCL

At the moment only really Wet Spam, he is going through a bit of a sticky patch in terms of scoring from open play but our form has also dropped off and we aren't giving him the chances. If we don't go up I can't see us keeping him though.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
At the moment only really Wet Spam, he is going through a bit of a sticky patch in terms of scoring from open play but our form has also dropped off and we aren't giving him the chances. If we don't go up I can't see us keeping him though.
What do you think of him overall? Is he ready for a step up? I know he’s not ready for Utd in the traditional sense but I think we probably need to take a few risks if we want to fill gaps with players at a certain price point. Who do you think he plays like?

Ali Dia

Please no. Screams Daniel James all over again. Barely aware of who he is and barely aware of who any of the teams he’s played for are (no disrespect intended). Surely we’ve scrimped enough at this stage that we can shop around for a top CF.
plenty of good players have stepped up from playing well in the championship over the last few years. Watkins, Neves, Grealish, Bowen, James, Ben White, the Norwich lads, Eze and so on.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
As I said earlier in the thread, still want as a Lacazette replacement. Unfortunately just might be too expensive for us, & not sure if we'll prioritise that area. A Toney purchase with a Balogun loan to Brentford would be ideal for me.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Toney looks a fine player. We’ve been constantly linked to him. After he left Northampton, we had him at our academy but released him.

He’s going to cost £30m-ish now though.
After he left Northampton he went to Newcastle.

youngrell

What is his pace like?

It’s difficult to tell from those videos because they are mostly goal actions in and around the box, but he looks quite slow in them.

Looks very inventive with his finishing though, and two footed.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
After he left Northampton he went to Newcastle.
He did, but he was typical of a lot of youngsters who train with several clubs, and I believe that he did go to Leicester's academy, but finished up with 'The Cobblers', his home town club.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
What is his pace like?

It’s difficult to tell from those videos because they are mostly goal actions in and around the box, but he looks quite slow in them.

Looks very inventive with his finishing though, and two footed.
Can’t be slow as Brentford like a pacy forward. He looked quick enough against Spurs but didn’t have enough tricks up his sleeve to trouble PL defenders. Not as good as Ollie Watkins and he still is learning

Dolf

He is 25 and unproven in the PL. Why the hell would we sign him? He would probably be our 3rd or 4th striker.

JohnnyLaw

He is 25 and unproven in the PL. Why the hell would we sign him? He would probably be our 3rd or 4th striker.
Because we’re likely to spunk most of our transfer budget on Sancho. If Cavani leaves, which looks a real possibility, we’ll have Greenwood and Martial competing for the CF position, they have a combined 6 PL goals this season. Toney seems a pure goalscorer and he’ll likely not cost too much. Shouldn’t be an issue shifting him out if we move for Haaland or another marquee striker in the future either.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He "screams Daniel James" because you've never heard of him or the teams he's played. Hahaha OK..

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I love how 30m is classed as a cheap punt. Depay is available on a free - bamford, Belotti, Edouard, Milik and Ings all have a year on their contracts. Heck, you could probably get Andre Silva for less than 30m ffs. 30m in this market is fecking insane money on a 25 year old who has had one good season in the Championship.

Last edited:

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I wonder if you put Martial in the Championship, would he reach those numbers. Style of play of the team, and the type of competition is probably far more important than we often realize when we judge/compare football players.

Leg-End

I wouldn’t class him as pacey but he isn’t slow. He’s a very decent player with his back to goal, he brings others into it with that.

If Brentford don’t go up I think he’s destined for someone like Palace who could conceivably flip him again if he has a good season or two in the PL.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Is he better than Watkins was?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I love how 30m is classed as a cheap punt. Depay is available on a free - bamford, Belotti, Edouard, Milik and Ings all have a year on their contracts. Heck, you could probably get Andre Silva for less than 30m ffs. 30m in this market is fecking insane money on a 25 year old who has had one good season in the Championship.
Fair point

arthurka

This isn't really a good comparison is it? This guy is flying high and by most accounts one of the best strikers in the Championship. He seems to be a good finisher, pacey and skillful. Watkins has done a great job in the PL and he didn't look as good or at least not better than this guy. James on the other hand had a couple of good games here and there and could run fast.

dal

We need a world class striker not a 25 year old from the championship, he does have a bit of the Drogba about him with his wide array of finishing.

He’s a fourth striker type who shouldn't cost more than £15 million.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I've watched him a lot this season and can see him make the move to a lower end PL team. He has great attributes and can obviously score a goal but he can also go for a run of games where he struggles to hit the net.

I can see him being a slightly better version of Watkins.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
What do you think of him overall? Is he ready for a step up? I know he’s not ready for Utd in the traditional sense but I think we probably need to take a few risks if we want to fill gaps with players at a certain price point. Who do you think he plays like?
Well he is a lethal natural finisher but lacks the intensity of pressing that Ollie Watkins gave us and is not as quick as Ollie. Problem at the moment is we aren't getting enough players close to him at the moment. I was convinced his goals were going to get us promoted this season and they still might. So who do I think he plays like tbh I don't watch much Premier League outside of the united games but I think the Dominic Calvin Lewit (spelling?) is not a bad shout. He is strong physically, quick but not rapid and an excellent finisher.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Is he better than Watkins was?
Better finisher - absolutely and he can actually take a penalty, it's like watching a Bruno Fernandes pen (one of his earlier ones) but much more nerve wracking.

Better all around player - debatable to be honest and for me the jury is still out on that one.

Is he ready for the Premier League next season I'd say yes, the lad does not lack for confidence and having smashed through League One defences he has taken the step up to the Championship level and scored for fun. I am not saying he is going to score 30 goals in the Premier League but if somebody takes a punt on him I'd back him to score a few.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
I've watched him a lot this season and can see him make the move to a lower end PL team. He has great attributes and can obviously score a goal but he can also go for a run of games where he struggles to hit the net.

I can see him being a slightly better version of Watkins.
Like I have said finishing wise no doubt about but all around play needs to improve a bit for him to overtake Ollie.

Ali Dia

Would be a good signing for a mid-table PL side.
if he thrives there then he’d be 60 million or something stupid like that. We need a physical finisher who’ll stay up battling and keep play stretched We are probably going to have to take a risk or two but I see us going for Ings (because his contract is running down) before Toney which might look like the safer decision short term but I think he hasn’t hit his ceiling yet whereas Ings has and ings has a bad history of injuries. Toney is beating every challenge put to him going up the divisions. No doubt he’ll score a few in the PL whoever signs him but if a big club goes for him he could develop into a beast. He makes good runs. Is strong and fast and he’s got good finishing with either foot and he's a proper threat in the air. He’s probably the best cheap longer term option in England on the market this summer. I feel like he would definitely be an upgrade on old version of Cavani once he found his feet and he could still be value for money at 30 million.

Ali Dia

Well he is a lethal natural finisher but lacks the intensity of pressing that Ollie Watkins gave us and is not as quick as Ollie. Problem at the moment is we aren't getting enough players close to him at the moment. I was convinced his goals were going to get us promoted this season and they still might. So who do I think he plays like tbh I don't watch much Premier League outside of the united games but I think the Dominic Calvin Lewit (spelling?) is not a bad shout. He is strong physically, quick but not rapid and an excellent finisher.
I keep seeing DCL but DCL is far too expensive for us unless he was our marquee signing which wouldn’t be great. I hope you guys can still get promoted. I like the way you do things.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Goal number 29 and an assist today - difference was a change in formation and getting a lot more players around him.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So we should wait until he plays in the premier league and then pay 100m for him? The guy has scored 29 goals and has 10 assists in 39 games in the Championship. He was Ollie Watkins replacement but doing better than Watkins did. Who he played for has nothing to do with how good he is...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Why would we sign him? Because he's 25 and unproven in the PL :lol: :lol: :lol: . Why do people insist on waiting until a players price tag gets close to 6 figures before signing players? We want our scouts to earn their pay but are unwilling to sign players until they are already big names. Give your head a shake :lol::lol::lol:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
For what it's worth, Brentford were almost the pioneers of football analytics in scouting. They consistently sell their best players yet still push for promotion, due to the quality of player relative to their price they keep landing, and they were desperately close to securing it last season. If he's coming from Brentford I think he's a player to be taken seriously.

SAFMUTD

Why would we sign him? Because he's 25 and unproven in the PL :lol: :lol: :lol: . Why do people insist on waiting until a players price tag gets close to 6 figures before signing players? We want our scouts to earn their pay but are unwilling to sign players until they are already big names. Give your head a shake :lol::lol::lol:
Players from the championship are a gamble, while Im not against sporadically gambling on those players I think we should focus mostly on top league prospects.

Of course some players have come good from the championship into the premier league but its one thing to come good to an Aston Villa, Watford, Newcastle, etc level than to a ManCity, United, Liverpool, etc level.

This guy would be a brilliant signing for Brighton. I can honestly see them pushing for Europe with Toney banging in those xG chances.

Nickosaur

This guy would be a brilliant signing for Brighton. I can honestly see them pushing for Europe with Toney banging in those xG chances.
He's top of a lot of Brighton's fans wishlists when it comes to a striker. Unfortunately I think teams like West Ham, Leicester - teams a level above Brighton - would probably be able to offer more.
You are right though - could score a bucket load for Brighton!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Players from the championship are a gamble, while Im not against sporadically gambling on those players I think we should focus mostly on top league prospects.

Of course some players have come good from the championship into the premier league but its one thing to come good to an Aston Villa, Watford, Newcastle, etc level than to a ManCity, United, Liverpool, etc level.
So you want to continue over paying for players. Got it...

Leg-End

In fairness he isn’t going to be a cheap punt for anyone anyway, he’s not going for less than Watkins money at this point.

Ali Dia

I would prefer Toney to DCL for at least half the price and another few additions elsewhere for the starting 11. Say Toney 30 Camavinga 40 Sancho 80 and a defender 50.

200 million before sales and it ticks all the boxes (which is why it’s obviously never going to happen. We never fix everything in one window. There’s always a hole or 5)

Last edited:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Think he'd do well at West Ham - they certainly need a striker as they only have Antonio, who's only 31 but getting more and more injury-prone.

Then again, if they get into CL - they may look for a striker with more European pedigree.