Ivan Toney | Banned until 16th January 2024 Stay on Topic!

hungrywing

One thing you will get with Toney is that he will always try to get on the end of everything that's played into the box. The way we play at United, we try to play to feet and little intricate moves around the box is not something that Toney would excel at, and I wonder if we would try to get him to play like that if we bought him, a mistake I think.
Personally, I think if we bought a player like him, then we would have to vary our game and play both ways, intricate moves and also crosses into the box.
Not sure this would happen, as Haaland seems to be who we are after.
Or we play that way because we don't have a striker like Toney who excels at the thing you pointed out. We used to whip balls in and have at least one or two players running hell for leather to get on the end of them.

Given the way Ole was dropping not-so-subtle hints that he wanted to see more of that from our forwards, you have to figure he'd be looking for a striker like Toney; Ole knows that defenders know that we're a bit one-dimensional in the final third.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I really like him and think he’d do well in the prem. Someone like James went straight from the championship to United and he definitely wasn’t ready for it. Toney is lot further along in his development and is more suited to the prem, but I still think Manchester is a step too far (as it is for almost any player).

a lower or mid table team I think he’d do well. Watkins has done pretty well and while they’re different players with different strengths I think Toney is comparable to him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Players from the championship are a gamble, while Im not against sporadically gambling on those players I think we should focus mostly on top league prospects.

Of course some players have come good from the championship into the premier league but its one thing to come good to an Aston Villa, Watford, Newcastle, etc level than to a ManCity, United, Liverpool, etc level.
So you want to continue over paying for players. Got it...
I was tripping out here for a second and thought you were the same person quoting with, and arguing with yourself :lol:

Think Ramadan has a hold of me.

Red Comet

Has anyone been linked with him? I think he could be the next championship player to step up. he looks like he has the tools to play at a higher level but no idea of his ceiling. He kind of reminds me of DCL

The way he runs with the ball me of Paulo Wanchope.

Without seeing the compilations of his misses and misplaced passes, there seems to be a lot to like about him; cool and composed when finishing (there were many goals where he took his time to spot where the GK is), and capable of a few flick ons here and there.

lysglimt

Scout
Isn't it typical - when Newcastle finally have a decent talent on their hands - they give him away and 3 years later he is worth a fortune. Newcastle, ladies and gentlemen

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Or we play that way because we don't have a striker like Toney who excels at the thing you pointed out. We used to whip balls in and have at least one or two players running hell for leather to get on the end of them.

Given the way Ole was dropping not-so-subtle hints that he wanted to see more of that from our forwards, you have to figure he'd be looking for a striker like Toney; Ole knows that defenders know that we're a bit one-dimensional in the final third.
Yes, good point.
I watched some highlights on Toney, and he does actually play some nice football when he's involved in the build up play, some little backheels etc, and , as you would expect, is strong on the ball, but he does make some intelligent runs into the box, which is what you need from a number 9.

hungrywing

Yes, good point.
I watched some highlights on Toney, and he does actually play some nice football when he's involved in the build up play, some little backheels etc, and , as you would expect, is strong on the ball, but he does make some intelligent runs into the box, which is what you need from a number 9.
I think I saw somewhere his pass% is in the 60%s. (I think it was at the beginning of one of his compilation videos) No idea if that was correct or if it would put us off him.

But it looks like he'd add a dimension to our one/two-dimensional attack.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Anyone watching the Bournemouth V Brentford game on sky?
Toney just had a shot, put it inches wide, nothing great about that, however his movement and first and second touch to set the shot was incredible.
Ran across the back four, span into space, controlled with the outside of the boot instantly, really great play.
Haven't been entirely convinced by him until that moment then.

Red Royal

Think this would be a great signing this year. Seemingly wants to leave, could bed in whilsr Cavani is here next season and wont be extremely expensive. Do it Ole.

arnie_ni

Just broke the championship record for goals.

Must be something about him, would he be a good pickup to rotate with cavani?

Haven't seen him play btw.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Been quite impressed with him.

If he keeps this up I wonder who he might move to in the future.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Thought he was worth a punt last season. He's a far better player than people give him credit for.
He started a Northampton Town's academy, although I believe he was also at Leicester City's, and was a brilliant prospect when he moved to Newcastle, not sure what happened, but perhaps he wasn't quite ready for that standard at that time, but he's certainly learnt a lot working his was up to the top.
He is similar to Cavani in that he likes to get on the end of crosses, and can get involved in the build up also. 60%+ pass rate is not terrible for a front player.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Been quite impressed with him.

If he keeps this up I wonder who he might move to in the future.
Hope Arsenal are keeping there eye on him as a Lacazette replacement, although he did have a wee dig at us last week. :D

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Hope Arsenal are keeping there eye on him as a Lacazette replacement, although he did have a wee dig at us last week. :D
Yeah I can see him maybe at Arsenal or Tottenham in the future. First season in the PL though so let's see if he can keep it up. Not sure about Arteta's long term future but he does seem to have a bit of love for the homegrown/ English player as we have seen with White and Ramsdale being bought too.

Hope he does settle so England can contemplate using different strikers to Kane and Calvert Lewin a bit more soon.

He's taken to the PL very well. I'd think he will get a move to a bigger club soon but I don't see him in a top 4 side.

Devil may care

I'm surprised how technically good he is for a player of his size.
It says on his wiki that he's only 5'10, but regardless he's a better all round player than I was expecting, he's been good in the 3 games I've seen him this season, it'll be interesting to see if he can maintain his level across the season.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Anyone been paying attention to Toney? From the couple of Brentford games I've seen he has done very well so far in the PL.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Im quite impressed with this guy. Just don't give the defenders any minute rest. Constantly harassing them, very hard working and physically well built too.

I would happily sign him at United as a replacement for Cavani.

Crick

Time and time again. Do footballers think no one will see their social media posts. Just think for half a second before you do it. I'm sure he will be badge kissing in his next match he scores in.