Ivan Toney | Banned until 16th January 2024 Stay on Topic!

BerryBerryShrew

The smart play for him is to claim a gambling addiction and say that he is currently seeking help.

The FA wouldn't want to be seen to be punishing a dude with actual problems and he'd get a slap on the wrist at worst.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Isn't betting strict liability for footballers? Why would they even try to do it?

Anustart89

Im sure there are more pressing issues the FA could be concentrating on.

The legend that is Jim Rohn once said " dont major in minor things "
They're probably busy drawing up a charge for United for not controlling our players in the wake of Ronaldo's interview.

troylocker

He'll probably get a rest of the season ban. Blaiming betting addiction shouldn't give him a discounted punishment. It'll only make it more likely he does it again.
As good as he's been lately he's a no go for any of the top clubs now.

Footballers just amazes you with how stupid they can be sometimes.

Apokalips

Because it's a rule. Pro footballers cannot bet on football.

Football is a small industry, people talk. It's inevitable for a guy like Toney, who has played in lower leagues for different teams, that he'll have mates and contacts at other games.
Even a hint of knowing players in those leagues could easily blow up into a match fixing situation.
Yeah and it's not even just pro footballers but all employees of the football organisations are contractually not allowed to bet on any football activity.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
If found guilty then the ban will be determined by the nature of the bets. Worryingly somebody who was seemingly told about this potential issue 15 months ago, has said the same source has told them that apparently he placed lots of bets through other people etc to try and hide them. The betting companies software subsequently linked it to his own account. Some were on him to score etc in games that he was playing. Apparently the source of this information is someone who works in the FA investigation team who was also involved in the Trippier and Sturridge cases. Coincidently his mum was a shop manager for a bookies too it seems.

I mean hopefully the above info is wide of the mark but if not then it is going to be Joey Barton level of punishment and that is very bad news for us and Toney.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It can't be anything other then a lengthy ban I think... FA won't want to be see on lenient with this stuff when you consider the number of violations (Getting a 5/10 game ban for over 200 violations doesn't exactly sound punishing).

Glorio

Woe betide anyone who thinks the betrayal of trust demonstrated in betting will not be severely punished for the betterment of the league. Should be sent to Tibet for a while to avoid those abetting him in doing things against his better judgement.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
If this was a united player it would be an automatic 10 month ban

Josh 76

Not sure how betting on your team to win can be a 6 month ban.

I know a well known boxer, who told me he use to bet on himself to knock out opponents in a certain round. He use to tell all his mates to bet on it too. He made more money that way than the actual prize money.

Can’t really see anything wrong with that, would be totally wrong If they bet on themselves to lose though!

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Barton and Trippier both made bets related to themselves, and in Tripps case, indirectly through a friend or something like that. Barton was suspended 18 months and Trippier 10 weeks.

If its just a matter of betting on games that you aren't connected with at all, the sums involved will be just as important as the number of bets. Or more important. One 1 million bet is worse than 100 x 10 pound bets.

Anyone know of any precedent of a player that have betted on games completely unrelated to them with smaller sums but a larger amount of bets? Toney claims all his bets were on games that didn't involve his team. If that is the case -- it can never even remotely be seen as damaging as Tripper's actions (texting a friend to bet on that he was going to AtM if I understand it correctly). But could he still get like a month's ban?

lysglimt

Scout
Barton and Trippier both made bets related to themselves, and in Tripps case, indirectly through a friend or something like that. Barton was suspended 18 months and Trippier 10 weeks.

If its just a matter of betting on games that you aren't connected with at all, the sums involved will be just as important as the number of bets. Or more important. One 1 million bet is worse than 100 x 10 pound bets.

Anyone know of any precedent of a player that have betted on games completely unrelated to them with smaller sums but a larger amount of bets? Toney claims all his bets were on games that didn't involve his team. If that is the case -- it can never even remotely be seen as damaging as Tripper's actions (texting a friend to bet on that he was going to AtM if I understand it correctly). But could he still get like a month's ban?
Sturridge got 4 months - but him and Trippier were found guilty of much simpler things than Toney is being investigated for - so realistically we could be talking 12 months +

The Purley King

What is Toney earning? £50k a week? Maybe more?
And still wants to grift for a few hundred quid a week more?
Very strange although I recall John terry doing a similar thing with tours around stamford bridge…….
Can’t ever budget for the greed of man ……..

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Very strange although I recall John terry doing a similar thing with tours around stamford bridge…….

They don't do it simply for the money.......

They do it for the buzz......

Footballers have way too much free time.....

cyberman

To be fair you don’t have to be broke to bet

The Purley King

All depends on what bets he made but I can see this being a long ban.
If he is doing 12 match accas then So what but large bets on games he is playing in = long ban (and entirely correct)

JagUTD

Given the prevalence of betting firms in football, to ban him for an extended period would be verging on hypocrisy.

Maybe a better option would be to use this as a platform to move away from betting firms being involved in football and to also educate Toney with the aim of him educating others.

Banning him for 10 games or a season or even life achieves nothing if half the teams in the country have some betting firm plastered on them.

Reactions: Jippy

SirScholes

Not sure how betting on your team to win can be a 6 month ban.

I know a well known boxer, who told me he use to bet on himself to knock out opponents in a certain round. He use to tell all his mates to bet on it too. He made more money that way than the actual prize money.

Can’t really see anything wrong with that, would be totally wrong If they bet on themselves to lose though!
Because he would probably not try to knock out his opponent until that round so anyone betting in earlier rounds would be screwed
He’s a plonker and I’m guessing not very good

Bondi77

I remember Bruce Grobbealar doing some dodgy stuff years ago and he was a GK so probably more influence on the result.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Much wants more.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Given the prevalence of betting firms in football, to ban him for an extended period would be verging on hypocrisy.

Maybe a better option would be to use this as a platform to move away from betting firms being involved in football and to also educate Toney with the aim of him educating others.

Banning him for 10 games or a season or even life achieves nothing if half the teams in the country have some betting firm plastered on them.
Whilst I agree betting companies shouldn't be advertised in and around football, it isn't hypocrisy to ban a player for doing something they shouldn't do.

The players don't choose the sponsors, the players also know the rules surrounding betting.
The sponsors are there because the target demographic are watching.
Players are not the target demographic.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Is his full name really Ivan Benjamin Elijah Toney (I BET) or has someone been messing with his Wiki page? :lol:

phelans shorts

This is precisely the point. These players don’t have the usual things us normies have to keep ourselves busy, they’re usually well paid and only work half days essentially, there’s so much time just sat around not doing anything as they can’t really go out without gathering massive attention, so they end up falling into vices like betting to give them some sense of excitement and normality.

Add in the full sensory bombardment they get from betting companies and it really should be no surprise that it happens. There should definitely be an element of sympathy towards them in that sense, and as long as he’s not betting massive sums or on his own team then I don’t see why there’s this obsession from some for him to get a big ban.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I personally have no problem for a footballer keep betting his team to win every game, and also himself to score every game.

Barthez

That’s his season over and the possibility of a move to a bigger club

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How they can prove that player is gambling? Fa is not government so they can't gain access to your betting account. If player does that in old school way then still someone must literally make a photo of him doing a bet (and his ticket on which must be football). :confused: :confused:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How they can prove that player is gambling? Fa is not government so they can't gain access to your betting account. If player does that in old school way then still someone must literally make a photo of him doing a bet (and his ticket on which must be football). :confused: :confused:
From the FA website:
Match-fixing, or breaching the FA betting rules, or using inside information, is serious stuff.
The FA, the Gambling Commission and betting companies have sophisticated systems to monitor and detect breaches of the betting rules. These organisations advise us of issues that arise in the cash, telephone and online betting markets.
If you attempt to match fix, or breach the FA betting rules, or pass on inside information, you are likely to get caught and receive a FA charge. The FA has the power to interview you and to require you to produce records such as itemised phone bills, betting account statements and bank statements.
https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/betting-rules