I've got some things to say by Romelu Lukaku

Sambob

That is fu**ing class. Really glad to have him as our striker, shows the strength of character too. Good for him.

Brophs

The One and Only
Stop talking shit. There have been a lot of high impact articles on Players Tribune and although interesting this isn't even the best. Keyon Dooling opening up about sexual abuse as a child and subsequent psychological trauma throughout his adulthood was a 1000 times more impactful.
You know what, you’re absolutely right. I haven’t read everything on there - or the piece you mentioned - so I’ll rephrase. It’s the first interesting piece I’ve read on there. Note I’m saying interesting, not best or most impactful.

Fwiw, I believe in very, very little on that site, whether their stated editorial intent of speaking directly to supporters, or the content of the pieces they put out. But each to their own, I guess.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
There are some guys who you just know are all about character. Lukaku is so obvious. Great person to have in the squad.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
You know what, you’re absolutely right. I haven’t read everything on there - or the piece you mentioned - so I’ll rephrase. It’s the first interesting piece I’ve read on there. Note I’m saying interesting, not best or most impactful.

Fwiw, I believe in very, very little on that site, whether their stated editorial intent of speaking directly to supporters, or the content of the pieces they put out. But each to their own, I guess.
There's a few dozen articles on players tribune with a player wishing the best to the city he is leaving in free agency or announcing retirement but to say all of it is self promotional stuff is a bit underselling the intent of the website. If it was regarded as such, people who suffered abuse won't be choosing it as their venue to open up about some nightmarish stuff they experienced.

Zlatattack

wow. I've experienced poverty - not what Rom's experienced, but counting change to make sure you have enough to buy the groceries, worrying about bailiffs in our home, never owning brand name clothing, kind of poverty. It's horrible as a child, you're so aware of it; but it's 10 times worse as a parent. I spoil my kids because I can afford to, if I tell them no - it's never about money (even if it is, I'll blag something else), I never want them to feel what I felt growing up, I never want to see disappointment in their eyes because of me. Imagine how his parents felt like. This is why you'll never hear me complaining about how much money players earn, or anyone for that matter. If they get it legitimately without causing harm to anyone else - good for them.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
wow. I've experienced poverty - not what Rom's experienced, but counting change to make sure you have enough to buy the groceries, worrying about bailiffs in our home, never owning brand name clothing, kind of poverty. It's horrible as a child, you're so aware of it; but it's 10 times worse as a parent. I spoil my kids because I can afford to, if I tell them no - it's never about money (even if it is, I'll blag something else), I never want them to feel what I felt growing up, I never want to see disappointment in their eyes because of me. Imagine how his parents felt like. This is why you'll never hear me complaining about how much money players earn, or anyone for that matter. If they get it legitimately without causing harm to anyone else - good for them.
The only reason I'm not jumping into marriage right now. I'm not sure I can provide my kids the life they deserve with the salary I have. Props for your parenting.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

There's a few dozen articles on players tribune with a player wishing the best to the city he is leaving in free agency or announcing retirement but to say all of it is self promotional stuff is a bit underselling the intent of the website. If it was regarded as such, people who suffered abuse won't be choosing it as their venue to open up about some nightmarish stuff they experienced.
I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen the website. Scrolling through the football stories and found this. Which I enjoyed reading.

I’ve been on a bit of an Iceland tip this morning because a close friend is a big cheese at Pepsi, so I was obliged to forward him this fantastic bit of viral advertising, created, directed and produced by the Icelandic goalkeeper.

Apparently Pepsi has 90% market share in Iceland. Not for long!

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
"When things were going well, I was reading newspapers articles and they were calling me Romelu Lukaku, the Belgian striker.

When things weren’t going well, they were calling me Romelu Lukaku, the Belgian striker of Congolese descent."

What the...

arthurka

I've been rooting for or Rom for a long time. He is just so likeable , hope he does really well this WC2018 and comes back firing on all cylinders .

IrishRedDevil

A very touching article. I am so pleased that he is a United player and this just endears me even more. He's a hardworking warrior who is grounded, respects his roots and his constant addiction to improve further is inspirational. His improvement in the last 12 months is obvious and I really look forward to watching the rest.

Red Rom :devil:

Borden

I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen the website. Scrolling through the football stories and found this. Which I enjoyed reading.

I’ve been on a bit of an Iceland tip this morning because a close friend is a big cheese at Pepsi, so I was obliged to forward him this fantastic bit of viral advertising, created, directed and produced by the Icelandic goalkeeper.

Apparently Pepsi has 90% market share in Iceland. Not for long!
That's fantastic.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
"When things were going well, I was reading newspapers articles and they were calling me Romelu Lukaku, the Belgian striker.

When things weren’t going well, they were calling me Romelu Lukaku, the Belgian striker of Congolese descent."

What the...
That is so damning and every one of those "journalists" should hang their head in shame

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Brilliant read. Thanks for posting.

Had a bit of a similar financial background to him (but not quite as bad by the sounds of it), but it all turned out alright in the end.

Thought my 2 brothers are still struggling a bit, we always have a roof over our head and food on the table.

Jojo <3 Mou

A really inspirational read from Lukaku. I'm happy for him and his family.

I hope that he'll continue fulfilling his goals/dreams with us. :)

diarm

What the...
This sort of thing is fairly common in a lot of countries.

Have a look at the English papers if someone like Rory McIlroy or Andy Murray win a tournament and they're all writing about the British golfer or the British tennis star.

Miss a cut or lose to an outsider in the first round and all of a sudden they areare Northern Irish or Scottish again!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Brilliant read, people who talk about players mentality should read this, these guys goes through so much before making it as pro.
And this guy is exactly the sort of guy who would run through brick walls for his team, which is why Jose keeps playing this guy.
Jose talked a lot about mentality and how some of our players are a bit soft.

I only wish that Luke Shaw would have this attitude. The guy would be dynamite for us and would lock down the LB position, for the next decade.
How do you develop the attitude of player, to be the sort of guy who will run through brick walls?

Patchbeard

"I used to try to tear the cover off the ball every time I shot it. Full power. We weren’t hitting R1, bro. No finesse shot."

You still do this Romelu... the main thing he needs to work on is composure when one on one with the keeper rather than blasting it full power almost every time.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Really great read, never knew he came from such humble beginnings. Fully deserves everything he's got thus far. Also, that Iceland ad was bloody awesome!

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
:cool: That bet he had with his coach, and won!

Good read.
It was a good reaction by the coach as well. Plenty of youth coaches wouldn't have agreed to it and simply used their authority to deny him. In hindsight, one can always say he would've been stupid not to agree to it, but at the given point in time, I doubt he could be sure Lukaku would be so spectacular.

Smores

I've already said what a brilliant article it is but was thinking it over some more and what a fecking example that is to players from a poorer background.
I know hardship probably makes an iron will and all that but even for lads who had a decent upbringing they must be inspired by that. Top man

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great piece, really likeable guy. One question though - How did he come 2nd in 'African Player of the year'? That doesn't make any sense.

dbs235

Brilliant read and love our Rom. I've backed him to be top scorer at the tournament due to that mentality that he has, hopefully he batters a few in today. Deserves all the success he has achieved and more, what a guy.
He's a good shout, Belgium although they might fall short against the bigger teams, have a habit of battering the smaller teams.

Seagulls.vii

Thanks for the read, illuminating insight into his mental resilience, drive and character. Hope he will reach the very top with us

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He didn't finish second, at least not in the African Footballer of the Year vote.
"I used to have to take a big bag to school so I could catch a flight in the afternoon. We won the league by a mile, and I finished second for African Player of the Year. It was just … crazy"

Raw

What a fantastic read. I'm so glad we got a player of his mentality in the squad. I feel that he knows he can become top 10 in the world and I'm glad he'll try his hardest to prove that with us.