Can’t we just prioritize our glaring weaknesses first? RB, CB, CM, RW and ST

Shaw is ok at LB for another season, let’s see how he does
GK will most likely be a need next season as well

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Can’t we just prioritize our glaring weaknesses first? RB, CB, CM, RW and ST

Shaw is ok at LB for another season, let’s see how he does
GK will most likely be a need next season as well
We have been linked with players in all those positions already.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am confused devilish so Shaw is not good enough for United because he doesn't compare well with United legends but you are in favour of buying Wan-Bissaka who is simply a poor footballer in the other thread strange.
I see plenty of potential in AWB. Unfortunately I don't see that in big bum

gajender

I see plenty of potential in AWB. Unfortunately I don't see that in big bum
Shaw may need to be replaced in future but Wan-Bissaka though good defender looks quite poor on the ball and just hoping that he would improve immensely in that department with experience while paying top fee now just doesn't make sense, we did that with Shaw and it has hardly paid off and he was greater talent than Wan-Bissaka.

Mcking

Evra and Irwin are the benchmark of a United's first team fullback. If the guy has a monstrous attitude then someone like Gaz would make it as well. Shaw is nowhere near to those players. Thus he's other a squad player or he's not good enough to be with United.
What you choose to ignore though is that Shaw is just 23 and would look better in a better team. If we start going by peak Evra, peak Irwin, United, hallmark, quality, benchmark etc, then we wouldn't have any players.

devilish

Shaw may need to be replaced in future but Wan-Bissaka though good defender looks quite poor on the ball and just hoping that he would improve immensely in that department with experience while paying top fee now just doesn't make sense, we did that with Shaw and it has hardly paid off and he was greater talent than Wan-Bissaka.
First of all I think that AWB's attacking prowess is highly underrated. The guy had 3 assists this year. To put things into context Trippier had 4 assists this year same as Shaw and Robertson while Kyle Walker had just 1 assist, same as Young. That's not tragic considering that AWB plays with a far weaker side who are on the defensive side for most of the game. Its realistic to think that if he plays with United then those assist rates will improve.

Having said that if I am asked to choose between a young FB whose defensively sound and whose got all the skills in his locker to improve attacking wise (pace, strength etc) and a near 28 year old fb whose better attacking wise but whose hopeless in defence then Id choose the former every single time.

devilish

What you choose to ignore though is that Shaw just 23. If we start going by peak Evra, peak Irwin, United, hallmark, quality, benchmark etc, then we wouldn't have any players.
Hence why I don't want him sold but to be used as squad player. Luke Shaw has been with United since he was 18. The only thing that had developed since then is his weight. He doesn't deserve to remain first teamer anymore. If he steps up though he can win a first team place. Fletch fought his way back to first team despite having to compete with Carrick, Scholes, Hargreaves and Ando. I am sure that if Shaw is half as good as his hype suggests then he can give any fullback a run for his money

gajender

First of all I think that AWB's attacking prowess is highly underrated. The guy had 3 assists this year. To put things into context Trippier had 4 assists this year same as Shaw and Robertson while Kyle Walker had just 1 assist, same as Young. That's not tragic considering that AWB plays with a far weaker side who are on the defensive side for most of the game. Its realistic to think that if he plays with United then those assist rates will improve.

Having said that if I am asked to choose between a young FB whose defensively sound and whose got all the skills in his locker to improve attacking wise (pace, strength etc) and a near 28 year old fb whose better attacking wise but whose hopeless in defence then Id choose the former every single time.
It doesn't have to between these two we should target better balanced younger player instead and I am getting the impression you haven't watched Wan-Bissaka much I may be wrong because he looks like Smalling on the ball he would require to improve a lot attacking wise just to be decent for the top team and just to add assist stats are not the only thing to gauge how good a attacking fullback is.

devilish

It doesn't have to between these two we should target better balanced younger player instead and I am getting the impression you haven't watched Wan-Bissaka much I may be wrong because he looks like Smalling on the ball he would require to improve a lot attacking wise just to be decent for the top team and just to add assist stats are not the only thing to gauge how good a attacking fullback is.
I disagree with your assessment and you disagree with mine so lets agree to disagree. I explained my line of thought which I think is consistent.

gajender

I disagree with your assessment and you disagree with mine so lets agree to disagree. I explained my line of thought which I think is consistent.
Yes let's agree to disagree but I hope you are proven right for United's sake if we do end up buying Wan-Bissaka, just out of curiosity how do you rate Dalot and does he have future here if we end buying another youngster.

Mcking

Hence why I don't want him sold but to be used as squad player. Luke Shaw has been with United since he was 18. The only thing that had developed since then is his weight. He doesn't deserve to remain first teamer anymore. If he steps up though he can win a first team place. Fletch fought his way back to first team despite having to compete with Carrick, Scholes, Hargreaves and Ando. I am sure that if Shaw is half as good as his hype suggests then he can give any fullback a run for his money
Doesn't mean that he is a squad player at best though, just that we could do with more options and competition.
Shaw has been here since he was 18, but his problem has mainly been injuries and fitness. He seems to have gotten over that though and is just coming off a decent season where he won POTY. If he does not deserve to be a first teamer after such improvement, then we should sell every player and raid Man City and Liverpool.

Ekeke

More of a dribbler than a passer, he'd certainly be a good option alongside Shaw. Still not the best end product though. Has a fairly good right foot for a leftback, I guess its possible he could play on the right too. The top clubs would go for Gaya instead perhaps leaving Firpo available

devilish

Yes let's agree to disagree but I hope you are proven right for United's sake if we do end up buying Wan-Bissaka, just out of curiosity how do you rate Dalot and does he have future here if we end buying another youngster.
I think Dalot is promising however us signing AWB won't ruin his career.

A- Dalot can play both as RB and as LB and we're a team who lack of a quality FB
B- If he's good as many rate him then he will win a first team place in no time irrespective whether AWB is bought or not.

Last edited:

devilish

Doesn't mean that he is a squad player at best though, just that we could do with more options and competition.
Shaw has been here since he was 18, but his problem has mainly been injuries and fitness. He seems to have gotten over that though and is just coming off a decent season where he won POTY. If he does not deserve to be a first teamer after such improvement, then we should sell every player and raid Man City and Liverpool.
He's not good enough to hold a first team place and he's not shit enough to be sold. That's make him the epitome of a squad player. The POTY means nothing to me. Its an award given by players most of whom shouldn't be here talent wise and attitude wise. We all know that United's benchmark is Evra, Gaz and Irwin. Shaw is nowhere near to that level.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Been championing a left back for a while myself, although not our top priority. We only have one left back in the squad though, and nobody really banging on the door from the academy either, so we could certainly do with one. That being said, there are other positions where we don’t even have the ‘one’ who is good enough, so they are obviously more pressing.

One thing on Shaw though is that I don’t think his attacking game is to be concluded at this stage. He’s had games where he’s been great going forward, and whilst not a very good crosser, he does have some assets there like close control and running with the ball. He’s apparently starting his training early again this year, and I expect him to be even better next year. He’s not that great a player at the moment, but there is more to come I feel. The pre leg-break Shaw was looking brilliant going forward. A full season in the team and a good pre-season, I’m hopeful he can get back to that level.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What wrong with buying a LB too? Too being the operative word
Because it’s not an urgent need. We have 2 months to recruit, not an unlimited budget and we are not gonna go full FM mode. The team simply wouldn’t gel next season if we do that

Not to also rule out the huge progress Shaw made last season. He deserves more time

Last edited:

Ekeke

He's not good enough to hold a first team place and he's not shit enough to be sold. That's make him the epitome of a squad player. The POTY means nothing to me. Its an award given by players most of whom shouldn't be here talent wise and attitude wise. We all know that United's benchmark is Evra, Gaz and Irwin. Shaw is nowhere near to that level.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Axkiko

Go for him. My favourite LB/LWB in la liga. Fast, strong, good on the ball. Defensively not good enough. It is his only weakness. But I really love his playstyle.

jesperjaap

Evra and Irwin are the benchmark of a United's first team fullback. If the guy has a monstrous attitude then someone like Gaz would make it as well. Shaw is nowhere near to those players. Thus he's other a squad player or he's not good enough to be with United.
The benchmark of being a United full back is you have to be as good as two full backs we have had over 30 years?

devilish

The benchmark of being a United full back is you have to be as good as two full backs we have had over 30 years?
Actually 3 and they covered a big chunk of SAF's reign. I dare to say even Wes, Parker and Rafael were better then Shaw. He is better then Oshea, Fabio and Butter though

jesperjaap

Actually 3 and they covered a big chunk of SAF's reign. I dare to say even Wes, Parker and Rafael were better then Shaw. He is better then Oshea, Fabio and Butter though
Parker was a very good right back and I also think Heinze was quality until he got injured and it tied in pretty much with us signing Evra, think people forget how good he was due to the Liverpool links.
Lets be honest, Rafael had that one season where he massively improved, was it the Moyes one? Apart from that he was all promise but ultimately naive and rash, he really wasnt very good during his time here bar the one year.
I dont think Shaw has lived up to his Southampton promise for sure, it was a horrible injury though. I think the main thing is his fitness, he certainly isnt world class but he is definately decent and with the DeGea contract problems its probably the one position that doesnt desperately need addressing as we still have Ashley Young.....erm, Dalot can play there. I think one thing to tale into account is he has had very inconsistent players in front of him too which hasnt helped in the case of supporting when attacking or very often, the wide players helping him out defensively. He does have weaknesses in his game but for me he has certainly done enough overall this season to warrant his place next year and there arent many I can say that for

jesperjaap

Because it’s not an urgent need. We have 2 months to recruit, not an unlimited budget and we are not gonna go full FM mode. The team simply wouldn’t gel next season if we do that

Not to also rule out the huge progress Shaw made last season. He deserves more time
Agree with your latter statement and the time restraints.....But, the side has hardly gelled for several years so really what difference does ripping it up and starting again change in that regard? Also budget wise DeGea, Pogba, Martial, Lukaku is possibly £300m worth of sales in itself, not to mention possibly getting another couple of big earners off of our books, if that was added to a warchest that would allow us to make 4/5 big signings and a few signings of the ilk of James, Firpo, Pedro as examples. Personally think that is pretty much exactly what we need to do.....but I am still expecting 5/6 max out and pretty much the same in and only 1 or 2 will be big signings....not enough

devilish

Parker was a very good right back and I also think Heinze was quality until he got injured and it tied in pretty much with us signing Evra, think people forget how good he was due to the Liverpool links.
Lets be honest, Rafael had that one season where he massively improved, was it the Moyes one? Apart from that he was all promise but ultimately naive and rash, he really wasnt very good during his time here bar the one year.
I dont think Shaw has lived up to his Southampton promise for sure, it was a horrible injury though. I think the main thing is his fitness, he certainly isnt world class but he is definately decent and with the DeGea contract problems its probably the one position that doesnt desperately need addressing as we still have Ashley Young.....erm, Dalot can play there. I think one thing to tale into account is he has had very inconsistent players in front of him too which hasnt helped in the case of supporting when attacking or very often, the wide players helping him out defensively. He does have weaknesses in his game but for me he has certainly done enough overall this season to warrant his place next year and there arent many I can say that for
That's why I said he should be considered as a squad player rather then sold. I don't know what budgets we have to work with and if it's very limited then I agree with you. However keeping the status quo is a risk. Shaw is meah and he's injury prone, young is a former player in all but name and dalot is a RB

devilish

its amazing the mental gymnastics you go to, to pretend Shaw isnt a good leftback

Much more likely you are just a very bad judge of fullbacks if not players in general
:lol::lol::lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Agree with your latter statement and the time restraints.....But, the side has hardly gelled for several years so really what difference does ripping it up and starting again change in that regard? Also budget wise DeGea, Pogba, Martial, Lukaku is possibly £300m worth of sales in itself, not to mention possibly getting another couple of big earners off of our books, if that was added to a warchest that would allow us to make 4/5 big signings and a few signings of the ilk of James, Firpo, Pedro as examples. Personally think that is pretty much exactly what we need to do.....but I am still expecting 5/6 max out and pretty much the same in and only 1 or 2 will be big signings....not enough
Pogba’s going nowhere :mad:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It’s just not feasible to recruit for every single position in one window. That’s like Sparta level madness

Andersons Dietician

I’ve read some outlandish things on the CAF before but this, this is by far the most ludicrous:lol:

devilish

I’ve read some outlandish things on the CAF before but this, this is by far the most ludicrous:lol:
Would you mind saying which part of that post you disagree with? The only slightly controversial part is Rafael. However that is all

Valencia was better as well