Júnior Firpo

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nah we only need to stop overrating players especially those whom you can count their good performances on one hand. Evra and Irwin are United's quality first team full backs. Shaw might beat those in a pie eating contest. This squad deserves to be at 6 place.
Brutal..:lol:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Nah we only need to stop overrating players especially those whom you can count their good performances on one hand. Evra and Irwin are United's quality first team full backs. Shaw might beat those in a pie eating contest. This squad deserves to be at 6 place.
Couldn't agree more

pascell

Signing a LB and RB this summer would mean the end of Laird and his pathway to the first team, unless we make Dalot a RW. Rather we avoided this scenario as Laird looks promising and would mean Ole going back on his word of bringing through youth.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Signing a LB and RB this summer would mean the end of Laird and his pathway to the first team, unless we make Dalot a RW. Rather we avoided this scenario as Laird looks promising and would mean Ole going back on his word of bringing through youth.
Personally I believe in Laird and would go for a LB instead. Would love Tierney, but that's not gonna happen.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Laird will probably move inside as his game develops so nothing to worry about on that score, he did play there the last time I saw him for England.

Canagel

Actually 3 and they covered a big chunk of SAF's reign. I dare to say even Wes, Parker and Rafael were better then Shaw. He is better then Oshea, Fabio and Butter though
Don't disagree much.

Loublaze

ATLien
If Laird is good enough nothing will stop his pathway to the first team. Right now he's just a promising academy prospect, nothing more. The club should have an eye on the future of course but we should be looking at proven players that will improve United right away

Last edited:

Bojan11

So what?

We need to improve the first team especially starting eleven with players whose main experience isn’t the reserves or u21s. If they good enough then they’d break through. The sams goes for Greenwood. Unless you wanna wait a few more years for Young to be starting whilst Laird develops. Get players in who can start for you now.

We have a great academy but people are way too obsessed with the class of 92 and all that trying to replicate it. How many youngsters are our rivals in the top 5 producing? Not many. The premier league is more ruthless league now we can’t be seen as a youth development side. Pep was lauded as the man who gave youth a chance and look what he’s done in the prem. He even admitted he’s not going to give many players from the City academy a chance.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Local media mention our interest again in the young LB.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There could be something in this folks.. Real Madrid have turned their attention to Ferland Mendy of Lyon. And we seem to be ahead in the race for his signature according to local Betis media.

izec

He is a very good attacking fullback. Not sure about his defensive qualities, but attacking wise, he will make Shaw look like a league one player. At that price, you wont find a better modern fullback. With modern i mean someone who has a clue what to do with and without the ball when he passes the halfway line.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
30m is a great price for a young full back. I’m down. Starting to actually think we need a LB more as we have a lot of prospects at RB, especially if you think O’connor will be a RB too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Been saying for two years that we need a summer like City where we let go pretty much all of our full backs and bring in at least two new ones. At the time I wanted Young, Valencia and Shaw our, although Shaw has obviously shown his worth since then.

If there were not so many holes in the side, or we had unlimited funds, the. I’d be all for getting Firpo and a right back. This is what the team needs.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ah, okay. What do you think?
There's question marks with him going forward and he seems to have a weight issue. A LB is required due to him needing competition regardless. He needs to be challenged for his place.

Handré1990

There's question marks with him going forward and he seems to have a weight issue. A LB is required due to him needing competition regardless. He needs to be challenged for his place.
Agree on all points. It was great to see a solid defensive presence on the left, but as far as attacking output goes, he had to be on the low end of the scale for PL leftbacks.

Cathy Ferguson

Roy Keane did say that Shaw wasn't good enough.
He is good defensively but not outstanding. He is very limited going forward. LB should not be a priority position this summer, unless we have huge war chest.

Sanche7

Why aren’t we looking at Telles?
He’s 26, has 4G 8A from 33 matches in the league and 1G 3A from 10 champions league games. He’s in the whoscored team of the season and is rumoured to have a 35 million euro release clause. There was a lot of talk last summer linking us and Bayern to him but it just fizzled out. If the clause is there, shouldn’t we be looking at Telles considering he is more experienced than Shaw and Junior?

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Saw him live at Camp Nou in november. Was good in that game. Scored a goal too, but he played as a left winger. I’m not sure he would adapt to premier league either. If he is bought to compete with Shaw I think he would be a good punt.

Enigma_87

You know who
Probably the last position we should be looking at to strengthen if we're indeed making 5-6 purchases this window.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Probably the last position we should be looking at to strengthen if we're indeed making 5-6 purchases this window.
I’m not so sure, we offer very little attacking width that side, so it would be good to have an option and some competition for Shaw.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not really? We have Shaw... and that's it. Unless you're counting Darmian/Rojo/Young as valid options :nervous:

Wayne's World

I reckon If we signed him, he'd be our first choice left back within a month. Shaw isn't good enough for a team wanting to be challenging for trophies

Enigma_87

You know who
I’m not so sure, we offer very little attacking width that side, so it would be good to have an option and some competition for Shaw.
Not really? We have Shaw... and that's it. Unless you're counting Darmian/Rojo/Young as valid options :nervous:
I wouldn't say no to a bit more competition to Shaw, but CB, 2 CM's, RW, ST, AM - far more important positions to strengthen right now. GK as well if we lose DDG(or he doesn't sign).

Wallez

The only way I see this happening is if Shaw is converted into a CB in a system with three at the back. I actually think Shaw would flourish in this role, as he has the physique to compete with most strikers and is extremely solid one-on-one. This will also give us a left-footed CB that is comfortable with the ball in his feet. This may allow us to bring in Firpo as a wing-back, who would provide width down the left side, which is absolutely neccessary as Martial and Rashford keep cutting in when playing LW.

Ekeke

The only way I see this happening is if Shaw is converted into a CB in a system with three at the back. I actually think Shaw would flourish in this role, as he has the physique to compete with most strikers and is extremely solid one-on-one. This will also give us a left-footed CB that is comfortable with the ball in his feet. This may allow us to bring in Firpo as a wing-back, who would provide width down the left side, which is absolutely neccessary as Martial and Rashford keep cutting in when playing LW.
In theory it works, but I recall that he played LCB one game in the 2nd half of last season and his man scored. So it might be a longer process than you think for him to get used to the role

Wallez

@Ekeke I agree that this will take some time, but we have seen Azpilicueta successfully making this transition in Chelsea. I think Shaw has all the tools to succeed in this role, even if it may take him a few years to get the mindset of a proper CB.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Link/source

Barcelona is not the only team that has set itself in Junior . Manchester United already got in touch with Betis and put a high amount of money on the Betic table, although that first proposal was rejected. Júnior, meanwhile, remains training with the U21 team at the City of Soccer of Las Rozas, with which he prepares the European Championship, a stage where he can continue to revalue.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
If the release clause of Alex Telles is true at 35-40m euro, then I'd much rather go for some experience rather than being left with two young left backs
Not heard much of this guy though to be honest