Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I get your point, but it’s the same for everyone and there’s literally nothing the FA can do at the moment. Pretty sure I heard yesterday the FA have contracts in place with the current rule set of the FA Cup till 2024. Does he want a bye to the next round?

Plus, this is the first season with a two week break. How does he think teams have done it before?
No

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
probably already booked a two week package holiday to be fair
And the players too.

I agree with the posters who wants to scrap the replays. It's an unnecessary distraction to an already filled list of fixtures and you can't plan properly if you never now when a match is squeezed in somewhere.

Blind

He's a joke, if they fluke their way to the semi final, he'll be putting on a show at Wembley, whinging at the officials and giving it the big I am.

Why didn't he play a stronger side last night? Could have avoided the replay entirely.

I don't really understand Liverpool's attitude to the cups at the minute, fair enough if there was only a few points in it in the league but that's clearly over. Nice problem to have, for sure, but if I was a fan I'd be slightly pissed off that they're not trying to win the lot.

IrishRedDevil

Puts out a weaker team that fails to beat Shrewsbury, then throws this toys out of the pram when that failure means a replay. Laughable.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why doesn't the FA just scrap replays in favour of overtime and penalties? You lot already play like 1500 games a season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Puts out a weaker team that fails to beat Shrewsbury, then throws this toys out of the pram when that failure means a replay. Laughable.
This is the absolute crux of the argument for me. The winter break meant those players are getting their rest soon enough. He could have killed them off and then rested players.

marktan

I do feel for him in a way. I recently had a week long holiday booked after no breaks in a year and a half, and had to cut it short to 3 days due to things coming up. When you look forward to a break for a while and someone says no, not possibly anymore naturally you're going to be angry.

It's a tough situation because I'm sure everyone wants to respect cups but you have to look after players' health too, without making a stand all the different tournament organisers would just continue to throw more games in. The PL fixture list is already mad congested, over Christmas there were loads of injuries.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why doesn't the FA just scrap replays in favour of overtime and penalties? You lot already play like 1500 games a season.
Becuase the lower league clubs get most of the money from playing at the bigger stadiums - it can pretty much keep these teams alive.

The FA cup is more important for these teams - I don't care if Klopp isn't happy, it's not all about the big ones.

Oldyella

I agree with Klopp. We need to re-arrange the way the cup works.

1. Get rid of replays.
2. The team from a lower league always gets to play at home.

Also get rid of the 2 legged ties in the league cup, also a waste of time.

He is a hypocrite though - for going to that World club competition. It's a non-event of football.
They get more money playing away though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Becuase the lower league clubs get most of the money from playing at the bigger stadiums - it can pretty much keep these teams alive.

The FA cup is more important for these teams - I don't care if Klopp isn't happy, it's not all about the big ones.
Lower league teams cannot sustain themselves financially without playing away ties against big clubs in the FA cup? That sounds like an awfully uncertain financial position to be in. What if you go out against a similarly lower league club a few years in a row?

Maybe the FA can redistribute some of the towering amount of wealth going around in English football? Give them 0.1% of the TV money of the premier league? I'm sure that would keep em afloat.

Of course, that would mean, the big clubs actually gave a feck about the little ones, and they don't obviously.

Paul_Scholes18

Why didn't he play a stronger side last night? Could have avoided the replay entirely.

I don't really understand Liverpool's attitude to the cups at the minute, fair enough if there was only a few points in it in the league but that's clearly over. Nice problem to have, for sure, but if I was a fan I'd be slightly pissed off that they're not trying to win the lot.
Me too, but Liverpool fans still think small time. They have not won the league for long so do not bother much about the rest I think.
I was pissed at SAF during his last season when he didn't go 100% for the cup.
We had a big lead over City then too although not as big as Liverpool got now, but it was more than 10 points I think.
Not playing Persie in the replay against Chelsea was not smart in my view. At Stamford Bridge we needed our best 11 players to win it.
Even though it was a strong side apart from that. Think Rooney was out too with injury.
Wigan won the cup in the end though so that was fun at least.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I do feel for him in a way. I recently had a week long holiday booked after no breaks in a year and a half, and had to cut it short to 3 days due to things coming up. When you look forward to a break for a while and someone says no, not possibly anymore naturally you're going to be angry.
Was the thing that cut your holiday short your own doing though? All Liverpool had to do was win the game and this discussion doesn't exist. His comments post-game have shown him up to be the classless smug wanker that he is again, yet the press keep milking it.

And I can bet you that all the Liverpool fans crying about the fixture list wouldn't have uttered a word if they had won yesterday.

Cardozo

Lower league teams cannot sustain themselves financially without playing away ties against big clubs in the FA cup? That sounds like an awfully uncertain financial position to be in. What if you go out against a similarly lower league club a few years in a row?

Maybe the FA can redistribute some of the towering amount of wealth going around in English football? Give them 0.1% of the TV money of the premier league? I'm sure that would keep em afloat.

Of course, that would mean, the big clubs actually gave a feck about the little ones, and they don't obviously.
I’m a fan of a solidarity fund in football.

Siorac

Away fixtures at huge stadiums are absolutely critical to the finances of the lower leagues. It cascades the money, if not directly then via transfer spends.

Surely it has to be more of a sort of unexpected bonus for these smaller clubs than a critical part of their budget? There are only so many big stadiums going around in England.

As @KirkDuyt said above, there has to be a better way to redistribute some of the wealth in English football than this.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He knew this could happen though so why not ask for solutions?
Moving the games so it would not reduce the break?
Didn't work the last time.

liverpool will play 4 games less than we do over this period if we beat Club Brugge and get to play more games in europe.
It is silly they complain about a break.

Other teams might complain too, but not so much that the manager himself feels he need a super long break.
If he wants less games go back to Dortmund then or take over a midtable side outside europe.
He's argued for less games in football for the sake of player health for a long time and the necessity of a winter break for player's health ever since he came to England.

Really think people who think it's just about how he thinks fatigue projections will affect his plans for this season are missing the point.

The Premier league finally listened to reason and made a winter break. The FA decided to play on like the 80s. He's basically said "if the FA want to continue compromising player health with this when others are moving forward, we won't participate."

Bocca9978

I do get changing the team to rest players for this, even sending them on holiday.
But Klopp should at least be there as manager.

You know the shite United would have got doing this (when we were at the top).

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Away fixtures at huge stadiums are absolutely critical to the finances of the lower leagues. It cascades the money, if not directly then via transfer spends.
They’re not. They don’t budget for them.

I do see your point. A windfall is welcome. But only for the owners.

League 1 Fans would rather knock a PL side out of the cup at home than have a fun away day to get smashed 4-0.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
How is this fecker getting a free pass with treating our domestic game with such disdain? He should be fined for bringing the game into disrepute. Leaving bias and hyperbole completely aside for one second, could you imagine the controversy if Ferguson or Mourinho behaved as such when manager of United? It would be wall-to-wall criticism and abuse, and rightly so.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Me too, but Liverpool fans still think small time. They have not won the league for long so do not bother much about the rest I think.
I was pissed at SAF during his last season when he didn't go 100% for the cup.
We had a big lead over City then too although not as big as Liverpool got now, but it was more than 10 points I think.
Not playing Persie in the replay against Chelsea was not smart in my view. At Stamford Bridge we needed our best 11 players to win it.
Even though it was a strong side apart from that. Think Rooney was out too with injury.
Wigan won the cup in the end though so that was fun at least.
The team out there was good enough to win. They didn't. It happens. Plus it's not accurate to say that Liverpool fans don't care about the rest. We still want to win the CL again. I'd prefer a league-CL double over a domestic double. We'd like to go unbeaten in the league. We'd like to outperform City's 100 points. All this would require maximum effort in the league week after week, especially since we are a not-so-good team mainly getting by on our luck. But somehow the story here is the small time nature of fans who support the decisions of a manager who's made 3 CL finals and is about to win his 3rd league title.

As for SAF in his last season, maybe he had learned a lesson from the previous year where you dropped a lot of points with a few games to go?

Reactions: Grinner

Red00012

He’s trying his best to get Liverpool knocked out of the cup but it doesn’t seem to be happening.

sparx99

Liverpool should actually be kicked out. We were in 2000 or 2001 whenever it was. We offered to play a 2nd string team due to our Club World Cup commitments which the FA wanted us to take part in.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
They're going to accidentally win the cup despite their managers best efforts to get knocked out.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Don't for a second think this is what he's telling his team behind closed doors.

More likely, this is damage limitation for when/if they're knocked out against any potential repercussions it could have for their season as a whole.

Not that the league isn't already sorted, mind.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He's got a point that replays are annoying for clubs fighting on a few fronts but that's the way it is, also lower league clubs like the chance to draw at home to get a lucrative away match at a big stadium. Certainly there's a case for dialogue with the FA/PL about the calendar, but I believe we're stuck with these rules for the foreseeable.

In short, if you didn't want a replay you shouldn't have drawn the game, so button it you fecking Scouse wanker.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Liverpool should actually be kicked out. We were in 2000 or 2001 whenever it was. We offered to play a 2nd string team due to our Club World Cup commitments which the FA wanted us to take part in.
I thought it was the club (United) rather than the FA that decided that a second string wasn't a good solution?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know that it is Liverpool and that's why everyone is calling him a cnut and a whinge etc. but I don't see anything wrong with his reasoning here. If the replay was played external to the winter break he'd play a side similar to yesterday I imagine with a mix of fringe and senior players. As it stands he will probably be playing a full U-23 side in the replay and I don't disagree with him. The FA and the PL should have sorted this out before the season began in terms of replays as it makes a bit of a mockery of the winter break. You can't have a 'trial' of a winter break that's fair if you have some teams playing replays and other teams that aren't. The whole point of it is to give players a rest within that specified timeframe which Klopp is and wanted to respect both for his players and the trial itself. But because it's Klopp he will get rinsed for it.

Besides, the PL matters way more to Liverpool than the FA Cup. I do think teams should go for everything and I hate when they don't but I understand in this scenario the desperation for Liverpool to get that PL title and Klopp's views on the winter break.

RoyH1

I think they're terrified of having another debacle in the league. Until they have in the bag they will not take the cups seriously.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
The top clubs will support abolishing the domestic cups then in the next breath support expanding the champions league and World club Cup.

The fa Cup and league Cup hasn't increased over the last 50 years, but the European format has massively but the clubs supported it because of the money.

This is nothing to do with fixture congestion, it's all to do with financial rewards.

Then of course another problem is the sheer volume of internationals, when we have 3 or 4 international breaks during the season.
Whoop, there it is...

Ironically, what Ole did yesterday .... and got dogs abuse from loads of fans (well.... posters) pre match.

Withnail

It's a tough situation because I'm sure everyone wants to respect cups but you have to look after players' health too, without making a stand all the different tournament organisers would just continue to throw more games in. The PL fixture list is already mad congested, over Christmas there were loads of injuries.
What fresh hell is this?

Are there no labour laws where you're from or are you self-employed?

I agree there's far too many games so close together especially at Christmas.

Klopp seems to be using this game to make a point and I can't really argue with it.

Paul_Scholes18

He has already played with a B-team in the cups.
Why not keep on doing that if he want to rest his first 11?
If the B players need a break give them a few days extra off since you do not need them against Norwich anyway.

Or does he fear Norwich so much that he need a fully refreshed Lovren and Matip on the bench in case Van Dijk gets his first injury for Pool in that game?

Logically his B-team would want to get games too since he never rotates much in the league.
Fabinho will probably play a lot, but not most others in that B-team. Origi and Miniamino might come from the bench though.

Or is it just that he wants a personal break from managing his side. Maybe he did feel that he got tactically destroyed by a league 1 side and feels embarassed by that?

Siorac

I thought it was the club (United) rather than the FA that decided that a second string wasn't a good solution?
Yes. The club asked for a postponement, the FA refused and Fergie didn't want to risk young players getting pummelled at Anfield or Maine Road or some other nightmare scenario like that.

NoLogo

Sure why not just abandon English football and play in the European super money league.

By the way, Shrewsbury will benefit by a replay, so your assertion that replays benefit no one is incorrect.
Well one of the major reasons for clubs to consider abandoning domestic football for a European League is because they can earn more and play fewer games, which in return will go easier on their biggest asset the players. The FA can't just throw 50+ games at the clubs per year and then not expect a reaction.

Sure for Shrewsbury this might be nice having another "big game" but you can already see that some teams will just not take the competition seriously anymore if they don't feel their time and player health is worth it. And yes Klopp didn't handle that well. He just should have fielded a youth team in the replay or something if he isn't happy about having to play again but on the other hand I can understand his annoyance.

Imo this all about finding a compromise which will let big teams take the cup competition seriously again and doesn't overburden their players with games they have to play every season.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Klopp is right to enforce the planned break and play the u23 team and manager in the replay.

To many games now in England, up to the FA, EFL and PL to sort it out. It's TV money greed pure and simple ramming so many games in.

Personally didn't bother watching any English football on the weekend other than Chelsea highlights. No interest in the early rounds, even for Chelsea. Rather watch other European leagues and proper level of competition.

I'd exclude premier League teams from the EFL cup and give a CL place to the FA cup winners.

Then teams will actually care about it again.