Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They’re not. They don’t budget for them.

I do see your point. A windfall is welcome. But only for the owners.

League 1 Fans would rather knock a PL side out of the cup at home than have a fun away day to get smashed 4-0.
Im not saying the clubs budget for them but every year several Premier League teams will play lower league teams and it generates relatively huge revenue for these clubs which is then spread through the divisions via transfer fees.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Im not saying the clubs budget for them but every year several Premier League teams will play lower league teams and it generates relatively huge revenue for these clubs which is then spread through the divisions via transfer fees.
Having all lower league teams get a home tie would have a better effect I think.

I’m a romantic though. So take it with a lunch of salt.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Having all lower league teams get a home tie would have a better effect I think.

I’m a romantic though. So take it with a lunch of salt.

Maybe they also get to choose? If two teams separated by a division are drawn together, the team from the lower division gets to choose between home advantage or playing away and getting a share of a much higher matchday/TV revenue. I'd be okay with that.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
A lot of bitter people in here. You do know all these posts will look a lot like RAWK during our period of dominance. Apply his thinking to our own club and lots would be saying the same. This winter break is needed, the schedule is ridiculous. We know that from our own list of injuries.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Maybe they also get to choose? If two teams separated by a division are drawn together, the team from the lower division gets to choose between home advantage or playing away and getting a share of a much higher matchday/TV revenue. I'd be okay with that.
Agreed. As long as it was very time limited : ie One hour from the close of the draw. Adds a little faux suspense without being problematic to fans.

Sadly most small clubs would take a big away day, but still better than what happens now.

Paul_Scholes18

A lot of bitter people in here. You do know all these posts will look a lot like RAWK during our period of dominance. Apply his thinking to our own club and lots would be saying the same. This winter break is needed, the schedule is ridiculous. We know that from our own list of injuries.
You do know we played as many or even more games during our dominance right? Also more games in Europa league now too.
Ole could have complained about the replays, but he did not.
No other manager talks about using kids and not even bother to show up himself other than Klopp.
You are also the side with least need of a rest anyway since the league is over.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We're definitely going out in the replay. He always goes out in the 4th round.
You do know we played as many or even more games during our dominance right? Also more games in Europa league now too.
No other manager talks about using kids and not even bother to show up himself other than Klopp.
You are also the side with least need of a rest anyway since the league is over.
I think he's a United fan.

BluesJr

You do know we played as many or even more games during our dominance. Also more games in Europa league now too.
If the game wasn’t arranged during this break, he’d be there and so would the team. The whole point of this break is to actually give the clubs a rest. It’s needed. If the FA want to directly go against the PL then that’s their problem. Not Liverpool’s.

Paul_Scholes18

If the game wasn’t arranged during this break, he’d be there and so would the team. The whole point of this break is to actually give the clubs a rest. It’s needed. If the FA want to directly go against the PL then that’s their problem. Not Liverpool’s.
It is still a break. Also they can rest everyone that normally starts if they want.
If Klopp wanted a personal break then he should have tried to win the game with better players.
He just did feel certain they would win with the B side.

BluesJr

It is still a break. Also they can rest everyone that normally starts if they want.
If Klopp wanted a personal break then he should have tried to win the game with better players.
He just did feel certain they would win with the B side.
I didn’t watch the game but as far as I understand it it wasn’t a full youth team? Senior players played the game and in the past we’ve done very similar. Your squad players/youth players need the games. Again, the FA should be respecting the break and arrange the replay afterwards. It isn’t rocket science. I can’t believe I’m actually defending Liverpool here as I hate them but I have a lot of respect for what they’ve done and how they’ve actually built themselves into the best team in the world while we continue to feck around.

Steve Bruce

Well one of the major reasons for clubs to consider abandoning domestic football for a European League is because they can earn more and play fewer games, which in return will go easier on their biggest asset the players. The FA can't just throw 50+ games at the clubs per year and then not expect a reaction.

Sure for Shrewsbury this might be nice having another "big game" but you can already see that some teams will just not take the competition seriously anymore if they don't feel their time and player health is worth it. And yes Klopp didn't handle that well. He just should have fielded a youth team in the replay or something if he isn't happy about having to play again but on the other hand I can understand his annoyance.

Imo this all about finding a compromise which will let big teams take the cup competition seriously again and doesn't overburden their players with games they have to play every season.
So you agree, these complaints are not for footballing reasons but purely for financial gains.

The FA has already scaled back both league Cup and fa cup (and the top division has less clubs and games) over the last 50 years, but European matches has increased along with WCC not to mention the internationals.

I know what will happen, they'll scrap the league Cup, decrease the rounds in the fa Cup, scrap replays, scrap extra time and then the clubs will play even more European games and they'll increase the WCC and we'll ultimately still play as many games as they do now but will have an extra 20m.

Anyone that thinks this is anything other than a financial issue your kidding yourselves.

whitworth

Supports
liverpool
No-one takes either of the Cups seriously until they get to the semi-finals. If they don't get that far it's a shame, but doesnt really matter.

As for Liverpool, they only have the 1 set of good defenders. Once you start having to play Lovren - you're doomed.

Oldyella

Let the lower league club choose where to play.
Why should they have to though? Shrewsbury have basically had best of both worlds, home tie for their fans against European champions, tv money, and now a lucrative tie away at a premiership club.

It's on liverpool to ensure it doesn't go to a replay. I get why some dont want replays to help with fixture congestion but it's just another example of big clubs getting what they want over little clubs if it comes to pass.

Walters_19_MuFc

He obviously wants to try and go unbeaten in the league. If not, he could go all out all out for the cup and afford to drop points in the league.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
No-one takes either of the Cups seriously until they get to the semi-finals. If they don't get that far it's a shame, but doesnt really matter.

As for Liverpool, they only have the 1 set of good defenders. Once you start having to play Lovren - you're doomed.
Matip when he is sharp and playing is a quality player. He's got a bottom level in him though and he looked rusty as feck last night.

No qualms about him as 3rd choice, since he showed he is good enough to be starting as 2nd choice alongside van dijk last season. Even in form, he isn't getting ahead of gomez the way Joe's playing though.

Lovren is all out of excuses. He'll do shit like that any day of the week.

romufc

To many games now in England, up to the FA, EFL and PL to sort it out. It's TV money greed pure and simple ramming so many games in.
There has been the same number of games for years now. This is not something new. PL has always been 38 games, League cup, FA cup have been the same for years now.

I dont understand where this too many games now comes from?

Paul_Scholes18

I didn’t watch the game but as far as I understand it it wasn’t a full youth team? Senior players played the game and in the past we’ve done very similar. Your squad players/youth players need the games. Again, the FA should be respecting the break and arrange the replay afterwards. It isn’t rocket science. I can’t believe I’m actually defending Liverpool here as I hate them but I have a lot of respect for what they’ve done and how they’ve actually built themselves into the best team in the world while we continue to feck around.
Liverpool rotating against them makes sense. Although to complain after when they didn't win makes 0 sense.
I have never listened to anyone complaining about this before Klopp did. It might have happened though, but got no media coverage.
I think they could have the replays this week instead in my view.
Although there is the league cup semi finals, but could have it for the other sides.

It feels like it is only Klopp that is moaning that he gets 2 days to rest less than he would otherwise.
If he takes away his weekly moan day about the FA then the break will be equally long for them.

For the league cup game I can understand his moaning since they should have used a better date for that one.

Paul_Scholes18

There has been the same number of games for years now. This is not something new. PL has always been 38 games, League cup, FA cup have been the same for years now.

I dont understand where this too many games now comes from?
Was it not more games in europe in the past too? Double group stages so 4 more games.

That was before I started following football regulary though so not sure if there was less cup games then?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The English FA have way too many matches and this leads to too many injuries, average CL performances and international football games.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Why should they have to though? Shrewsbury have basically had best of both worlds, home tie for their fans against European champions, tv money, and now a lucrative tie away at a premiership club.

It's on liverpool to ensure it doesn't go to a replay. I get why some dont want replays to help with fixture congestion but it's just another example of big clubs getting what they want over little clubs if it comes to pass.
The lucrative away tie is far from assured. In this case it happened to work out well for them.

Matip when he is sharp and playing is a quality player. He's got a bottom level in him though and he looked rusty as feck last night.

No qualms about him as 3rd choice, since he showed he is good enough to be starting as 2nd choice alongside van dijk last season. Even in form, he isn't getting ahead of gomez the way Joe's playing though.

Lovren is all out of excuses. He'll do shit like that any day of the week.
That's true about Matip. He was outperforming VVD in the initial part of the season. Lovren is great when there's a lot of last ditch defending to do. If we were playing with 10 men against a Man City team trailing us by one goal with 10 mins to go, he'd probably be my first choice before VVD. :D

kafkawithaspirin

Supports
Liverpool
I understand why he's going to put out the U23s.

I don't understand him missing the match. Is it really just a protest thing?
I imagine we have some warm weather camp booked somewhere far for the first team squad, similarly to last year. Given it would be directly before the CL games he would rather be there then managing the U18's in an FA cup tie.

Paul_Scholes18

The English FA have way too many matches and this leads to too many injuries, average CL performances and international football games.
Really what makes you say that?
Germany has been pretty poor in CL the last few years. Is that due to having less games then?
I say it is from them only having one really strong side in Bayern.
Juventus are doing well, but not really any other Italian sides. Not sure having less cup games is helping them out much.

4 PL sides in the two cup finals last year.
Before that Spain has dominated who plays many games in the cup. Although they play only 1 game per round now though.

I guess Germany got helped by having a more fresh squad for the world cup they won potentially, but didn't help them in the last one.
Pogba played well for France so not really burned out by Mourinho playing him in cup games ;).
England did well that year too.

Past years failures from England had more to do with management and overrated players starting rather than the best ones.
Also Rooney got injured before 2010 world cup when he was at his peak so you might have a point with him playing too many games.

romufc

Was it not more games in europe in the past too? Double group stages so 4 more games.

That was before I started following football regulary though so not sure if there was less cup games then?
Exactly, this metric of too many games sometimes is just an excuse. None of the big boys put their first team out in the early rounds of the league or FA cup. The PL starts a couple weeks earlier than other leagues as well.

Just as a metric, I have got stats from Ronaldo:

07/08 - 49 Games @ Manchester United
08/09 - 53 gmaes @ Manutd inc Club World cup
10/11 - 54 games @ Madrid
15/16 - 48 gmaes @ Madrid
16/17 - 46 games @ Madird

romufc

Before that Spain has dominated who plays many games in the cup. Although they play only 1 game per round now though.
Just shows posters reading things online and thinking it is true. During 06-12 when Chelsea & Manutd were battling for titles on a yearly basis, they used to be in Quarters and semis of CL and FA cups.

How many German teams have we seen do that, or Italian?

Even now, last 2 years we have had English teams in Finals.

Pure excuses.

Paul_Scholes18

Just shows posters reading things online and thinking it is true. During 06-12 when Chelsea & Manutd were battling for titles on a yearly basis, they used to be in Quarters and semis of CL and FA cups.

How many German teams have we seen do that, or Italian?

Even now, last 2 years we have had English teams in Finals.

Pure excuses.
Yeah when teams like Liverpool rest everyone then it is not too many games for the main men.
Pretty much all sides do rotation in the cups and group stage games in europe too.

Messi and Ronaldo has been playing far more games than most PL players.
Although playing in warm Spain could help with recovery more and Barca let Messi just walk around in defense at times.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Really what makes you say that?
Germany has been pretty poor in CL the last few years. Is that due to having less games then?
I say it is from them only having one really strong side in Bayern.
Juventus are doing well, but not really any other Italian sides. Not sure having less cup games is helping them out much.

I guess Germany got helped by having a more fresh squad for the world cup they won potentially, but didn't help them in the last one.
Pogba played well for France so not really burned out by Mourinho playing him in cup games ;).
I just think all the replays are whack. Why not penalties. What about the injuries?

You think Rashford's back injury isn't influenced by pressure over games & the more games you play? Sure its management but the English FA is way over the top about money than success.

Im not saying our clubs and international team are suddenly going to be a success if the games are reduced - but neither do I think they go in to games looking like the constantly most tired team vs nearly every other league in the world.

Whether we play -

League 1 team, Bundesliga, La liga, Serie A - the Premier league teams like Chelsea, Arsenal, United and City have always looked constantly shattered compared to them by the quarter final stage.

The only team that haven't in the final years are probably Liverpool and that's because they are a fitness machine and Klopp doesn't give a toss about these Cup games either.

I've watched it for 2 decades now - quarter finals, premier league games we may be beaten by quality and tactics but we enter the game looking completely out of energy.

In the last few months world class managers from other Leagues like Klopp & Pep have voiced their concerns over the English FA number of games - I'm telling you whilst this is to protect their own team this has a benefit to our team and they are doing it because they see the effects of it because their previous clubs in Spain and Germany weren't going through such a hard time in their Leagues either.

The English FA is a money making machine.

romufc

Yeah when teams like Liverpool rest everyone then it is not too many games for the main men.
Pretty much all sides do rotation in the cups and group stage games in europe too.

Messi and Ronaldo has been playing far more games than most PL players.
Although playing in warm Spain could help with recovery more and Barca let Messi just walk around in defense at times.
Well people act as if there is 10 plus more games in England. Well to be successful, you have to play more games because you get further in knock out competitions.

The fact that the league is much easier abroad is why managers in this country complain, they can't rest players in the PL cause you'd end up dropping points.

Well the weather is a separate issue to players playing too many games. People act as if no injuries around the continent. The fact is PL is a tougher league.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I imagine we have some warm weather camp booked somewhere far for the first team squad, similarly to last year. Given it would be directly before the CL games he would rather be there then managing the U18's in an FA cup tie.
No, it's not that. He'd given the players the week off to spend with their families.

I'd be perfectly ok with playing a second string side if we were in their shoes. The FA Cup and League Cups are a distant third and fourth in terms of importance.

It's disrespectful of him not to bother to turn up though. Not like he needs rest.

Paul_Scholes18

Well people act as if there is 10 plus more games in England. Well to be successful, you have to play more games because you get further in knock out competitions.

The fact that the league is much easier abroad is why managers in this country complain, they can't rest players in the PL cause you'd end up dropping points.

Well the weather is a separate issue to players playing too many games. People act as if no injuries around the continent. The fact is PL is a tougher league.
The weather is a good point. The pitch we played on last day was awful.
You can still rotate players in the league here too. I don't think there is a massive difference compared to Spain if you look at the bottom 10.
Most teams want the star players to start since there is not good enough bench players.
Although City rotates a lot anyway and it works for them.
Leicester rotated over christmas and won two games.
Chelsea mix it up too although mainly due to the main players not performing that well.

I think for us this season the depth is so bad now that we can't rotate much now with all injuries.

romufc

The weather is a good point. The pitch we played on last day was awful.
You can still rotate players in the league here too. I don't think there is a massive difference compared to Spain if you look at the bottom 10.
Most teams want the star players to start since there is not good enough bench players.
Although City rotates a lot anyway and it works for them.
Leicester rotated over christmas and won two games.
Chelsea mix it up too although mainly due to the main players not performing that well.

I think for us this season the depth is so bad now that we can't rotate much now with all injuries.
We are in a very unfortunate position, to think the number of games some of our players have played. Maguire started games V Colchester.

Europa League has one extra round, so I think it is a matter of the manager managing players correctly. If you are going to compete in numerous competitions you will need a squad to help.

Paul_Scholes18

We are in a very unfortunate position, to think the number of games some of our players have played. Maguire started games V Colchester.

Europa League has one extra round, so I think it is a matter of the manager managing players correctly. If you are going to compete in numerous competitions you will need a squad to help.
Yeah I think we should have rotated the squad more against Colchester and AZ. Normally central defenders can play a lot unless they have knocks and stuff like that.
I think Maguire will be fine now with the break that comes.

If we get a healthy lead over Brugge we could rotate a few players too, but not expecting that.

romufc

Yeah I think we should have rotated the squad more against Colchester and AZ. Normally central defenders can play a lot unless they have knocks and stuff like that.
I think Maguire will be fine now with the break that comes.

If we get a healthy lead over Brugge we could rotate a few players too, but not expecting that.
I think the winter break will do us good, alot of players look tired in some games. Hopefully get McT back and maybe even Pogba?

Ludens the Red

I just think all the replays are whack. Why not penalties. What about the injuries?

You think Rashford's back injury isn't influenced by pressure over games & the more games you play? Sure its management but the English FA is way over the top about money than success.

Im not saying our clubs and international team are suddenly going to be a success if the games are reduced - but neither do I think they go in to games looking like the constantly most tired team vs nearly every other league in the world.

Whether we play -

League 1 team, Bundesliga, La liga, Serie A - the Premier league teams like Chelsea, Arsenal, United and City have always looked constantly shattered compared to them by the quarter final stage.

The only team that haven't in the final years are probably Liverpool and that's because they are a fitness machine and Klopp doesn't give a toss about these Cup games either.

I've watched it for 2 decades now - quarter finals, premier league games we may be beaten by quality and tactics but we enter the game looking completely out of energy.

In the last few months world class managers from other Leagues like Klopp & Pep have voiced their concerns over the English FA number of games - I'm telling you whilst this is to protect their own team this has a benefit to our team and they are doing it because they see the effects of it because their previous clubs in Spain and Germany weren't going through such a hard time in their Leagues either.

The English FA is a money making machine.
Respectfully this is entirely incorrect, like all of it. You must be very selective when it comes to the years English teams "look constantly shattered compared to European clubs". Did between 2005 and 2012 when English teams dominated the latter stages of the CL, did those years not count? German and Italian sides have been absolutely pathetic in CL knockout football since 2013. Literally Real Madrid and Barcelona are the only two teams who have outperformed English clubs in the CL in the last two decades and that's probably down to them having some of the best players ever in their teams. I cant even believe you mentioned the French League considering what happened to PSG last season in particular.

If you've watched the Premier League for the last two decades, then you should know that the domestic fixture list has not gone up at all, in fact with the scrapping of replays beyond round 5 it has gone down. It is UEFA and FIFA that have added to the fixture list with expanding the Champions League, Europa League, FIFA World Club Cup and Nations League.

It's actually hilariously ironic that you're accusing the English FA about chasing money when the football calendar at the moment is completely the making of UEFA and FIFA chasing money. Look at this World Club Cup thing that is now going to be played every four years in the middle east. What a load of complete and utter shite that is. Introducing a group stage to the Europa League, what was wrong with pure knockouts? The Europa fecking Conference? seriously you think it's the FA and PL?

Klopp and Pep are both whiney, self entitled bastards and their comments and the way they behave sum up the "elitist" problem that is not only rife in football but is mirrored in day to day life. The elitist being selfish, thinking the world revolves around them, completely inconsiderate of those with less and nobody else is allowed a piece of the pie.
You've got Pep whinging about the fixture list with his billionaire squad but when Man City get cup draws at home to Port Vale, Macclesfield and Yeovil he throws on all the big names such is his obsession with his own self legacy. Last game against Fulham, a measly two academy players in the line up.
As for Klopp, why does he feel the need to mention it so much? Why couldnt he have just not said anything after yesterday and send out the kids come matchday, does he think him and his club are that important? He's not going to attend the game? Absolute fecking twat.
Shrewsbury have played two less games than Liverpool this season, why isn't their manager coming out crying and complaining? If Pep and Klopp are so upset about fixtures and not enough breaks, leave English football, you knew beforehand about it, but you came because you wanted the exposure and the money and the resources.

Honestly its pathetic, all of it, this constant whinging and whining about the fixture list, get over yourselves. Football league clubs play a minimum of 50 games a season (with a few cup runs and playoff that could easily hit 60+) and you rarely hear the managers, chairman or fans complain, they get on with it. With less resources, on horrific pitches they just get on with it.
And the moaning about Christmas games as well, who cares? get over it, it's been going on for forever, why are you still moaning about it?. The rest of the country are overworked during christmas too, mentally and physically drained, 12-15 hours a day at work for some professions, actually saving and effecting peoples lives. That's what you have a squad for, use it! And people wonder why normal people have a general distain and can't relate to PL footballers and those involved in the PL.

The top clubs will support abolishing the domestic cups then in the next breath support expanding the champions league and World club Cup.

The fa Cup and league Cup hasn't increased over the last 50 years, but the European format has massively but the clubs supported it because of the money.

This is nothing to do with fixture congestion, it's all to do with financial rewards.

Then of course another problem is the sheer volume of internationals, when we have 3 or 4 international breaks during the season.
So you agree, these complaints are not for footballing reasons but purely for financial gains.

The FA has already scaled back both league Cup and fa cup (and the top division has less clubs and games) over the last 50 years, but European matches has increased along with WCC not to mention the internationals.

I know what will happen, they'll scrap the league Cup, decrease the rounds in the fa Cup, scrap replays, scrap extra time and then the clubs will play even more European games and they'll increase the WCC and we'll ultimately still play as many games as they do now but will have an extra 20m.

Anyone that thinks this is anything other than a financial issue your kidding yourselves.
Nail. On. Head.

Last edited:

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I take no issue with the players he plans to use...but to hand over management duties is what I take exception to.

I hope Shrewsbury can at least eliminate the idea of the real treble.