Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
That's more like it ! City are our next 'big match' so back for City and then United soon after would be perfect. Winter/Xmas hols sorted and back refreshed.
If he could be back for that City game, then I'd expect Klopp to rest him for Sunderland away and the FA Cup game (depending on the opponents). We'll need him at United considering Mane will be at the ACON.

Treble

6 weeks out means back training on the 9 Jan (if we count from today's date, the date of the scan). I can't see him being involved against us tbh.

Will take at least 2 weeks from that date to get fitness back and the odd sub appearance. Chelsea game is probably the most sensible target for him.
Maybe it means that he won't play 6 weeks, not that he won't train 6 weeks.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Two PL clean sheets for Klopp in a row. Is that the first time this season?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Two PL clean sheets for Klopp in a row. Is that the first time this season?
Yeah. It's worth pointing out that 5 of the 14 goals we've conceded this season came in the first two games and Matip didn't play in either of them. Since then it's 9 conceded in 11. If we lose Matip to an injury I think we're likely to start shipping goals again.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah. It's worth pointing out that 5 of the 14 goals we've conceded this season came in the first two games and Matip didn't play in either of them. Since then it's 9 conceded in 11. If we lose Matip to an injury I think we're likely to start shipping goals again.
6 weeks isn't great but could have been a lot worse I suppose, I didn't get a great view from where I was sat at the game but images later looked horrendous.
I thought it was a break.
Still expect a signing in January and at least Lallana is back soon, need Sturridge to stay fit and a chance for Origi to shine.

The likes of young Ejaria and Stewart may get a chance from the bench also - so positives in that.

We have to cope with injuries even to our best players.
Klopp is not going to buy a stopgap for the sake of buying. He´ll elevate a young player, unless he finds a player that he thinks can also add some long-term value to the squad.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Liverpool have looked rather static in the past two games without Lallana. People talk about Coutinho's injury and Mane going to AFCON, but Lallana's importance is often underestimated. He's a bit like Busquets, you don't know how good he is until he's gone.

Coutinho and Mane have both been great this season, but because of Klopp's reputation in Germany, Liverpool can easily lure someone like Julian Brandt or Emil Forsberg from the Bundesliga; especially if they are still near the top of the table by January.

Lallana however, is difficult to replace. There aren't a lot of players like him, who run their heart out and are also very creative.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Klopp is not going to buy a stopgap for the sake of buying. He´ll elevate a young player, unless he finds a player that he thinks can also add some long-term value to the squad.
I agree he won't buy a stop gap, it's not his style. However, a lot of us think we need another attacking option anyway, and with Ings out all season and plagued with injury problems , Sturridge injury record suspect to say the least we could be light up front even without Mane being unavailable.

Not sure which attacking young players he could promote, Woodburn who made a brief appearance at the weekend is just a kid, Ejaria is a creative midfielder but again very young.
I could list a few names from the U23s but doubt you will have heard of them and don't see anyone really close to making the first team bench just yet.
The one's which are like Joe Gomez, Alexander-Arnold and Kevin Stewart are not attackers.

So I would be surprised personally if he didn't at least try and get an attacker in, especially given our current league position, but as we know it's not that straight forward in January.

I do agree with you though he won't panic buy.

Last edited:

bio202

Supports
liverpool
I agree he won't buy a stop gap, it's not his style. However, a lot of us think we need another attacking option anyway, and with Ings out all season and plagued with injury problems , Sturridge injury record suspect to say the least we could be light up front even without Mane being unavailable.

Not sure which attacking young players he could promote, Woodburn who made a brief appearance at the weekend is just a kid, Ejaria is a creative midfielder but again very young.
I could list a few names from the U23s but doubt you will have heard of them and don't see anyone really close to making the first team bench just yet.
The one's which are like Joe Gomez, Alexander-Arnold and Kevin Stewart are not attackers.

So I would be surprised personally if he didn't at least try and get an attacker in, especially given our current league position, but as we know it's not that straight forward in January.

I do agree with you though he won't panic buy.
Daily mail reporting pulisic as an option. 25mil bid reported. It makes sense to me as he's good for now but also great for the future.

JustFootballFan

Supports
Liverpool
Daily mail reporting pulisic as an option. 25mil bid reported. It makes sense to me as he's good for now but also great for the future.
Do they only employ idiots at the tabloids these days? At least make it 40M to make it sound somewhat realistic. Or make up a Dortmund player that actually makes more sense like Kagawa.

I think if Lallana is fit, it will be pretty straight forward. Just use Origi, Sturridge and Ojo for Coutinho. If Lallana is out as well, one option would be to insert Moreno and shift Milner back into the middle. Another option would be to play Grujic in the middle with Can and Wijnaldum.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
Do they only employ idiots at the tabloids these days? At least make it 40M to make it sound somewhat realistic. Or make up a Dortmund player that actually makes more sense like Kagawa.

I think if Lallana is fit, it will be pretty straight forward. Just use Origi, Sturridge and Ojo for Coutinho. If Lallana is out as well, one option would be to insert Moreno and shift Milner back into the middle. Another option would be to play Grujic in the middle with Can and Wijnaldum.
I believe we bid just £11 mil for him this summer and it wasn't enough obviously. The lads only 18 but I agree the guys worth north of 30 imo.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

Ojo has been out for months and is only just back in training, it is an option but not sure how soon he will be considered available, plus he hasn't featured too much in the first team anyway yet.

I think your points are good, it is more about if Coutinho's return is delayed, Mane is away, Sturridge fitness is hardly reliable.
Replacing all 3 and having options on the bench won't be straight forward and if something should happen to Lallana or Firmino we would be in big trouble - guess that is getting a bit carried away though!

Guess we will have to see what if anything Klopp does, the better way is to wait until the summer but if we are still challenging I think he may be tempted to add to the squad if he can - especially as we effectively had a negative net spend in the last summer window.
But yes obviously he will try and utilise what he has , Grujic especially could really benefit from this.

Righteous Steps

I believe we bid just £11 mil for him this summer and it wasn't enough obviously. The lads only 18 but I agree the guys worth north of 30 imo.
Why?

You'll be the first(not you personally) to call said player overrated if he was English and playing in this league, hes done nothing of sort to be worth north of 30m.

Couch potato 82

Why?

You'll be the first(not you personally) to call said player overrated if he was English and playing in this league, hes done nothing of sort to be worth north of 30m.
Potential I guess. He'd be pretty marketable as possibly the first proper top class yank to play in the premier league. Liverpools owners are American so they might take a chance on it. Same could have been said about Martial when he signed to be fair.
I've seen a good bit of Pulisic and he seems to be the real deal.
In 2-3 years he might well be a 50million pound player and at that stage Pool couldn't afford him.
It would make sense for them to speculate now.
If it was United I'd have no qualms with spending it on him.

JamesO

Supports
Liverpool
If Lallana is out as well, one option would be to insert Moreno and shift Milner back into the middle.
On this point, I'd be loath to move Milner now as our back line is beginning to look quite settled and solid. Whilst Moreno can offer a lot going forward, the prospect of him bringing his unique brand of chaos to our defence scares me.

Rafateria

Liverpool have looked rather static in the past two games without Lallana.......

............ but because of Klopp's reputation in Germany, Liverpool can easily lure someone like Julian Brandt or Emil Forsberg from the Bundesliga; especially if they are still near the top of the table by January.
I think any team would look static when up against two stacked double decker buses ;)

Easily get Brandt ?! Bite your arm off for him but I don't think 'easily' is the right word to be honest. Maybe 'impossible' would be right word considering the other teams interested in him (like, everyone).

Rafateria

On this point, I'd be loath to move Milner now as our back line is beginning to look quite settled and solid. Whilst Moreno can offer a lot going forward, the prospect of him bringing his unique brand of chaos to our defence scares me.
Agreed. If we were that desperate we needed a LW then Moreno can play there and leave Milner at LB. Though I'd be surprised if Grujic or Ejaria was not brought into the centre and Wijnaldum pushed into what is supposedly his best position as an attacking LM.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
Why?

I believe the price will be inflated due to him being potentially the first world class US player. Marketing etc.

Personally I would love to get him and I'll be first in the Que to get my shirt with his name on.

How bad's that....a 46 year old getting a 18 year old name on his back.

JustFootballFan

Supports
Liverpool
I think any team would look static when up against two stacked double decker buses ;)

Easily get Brandt ?! Bite your arm off for him but I don't think 'easily' is the right word to be honest. Maybe 'impossible' would be right word considering the other teams interested in him (like, everyone).
I think Brandt has a ridiculously low buy-out clause. I think I heard around €15M. But Kagawa might be a name to keep an eye on, if his love for Klopp is stronger than his hate for the PL. I don´t think Tuchel fancies him at all. I´d say he´s #6 or #7 right now on the depth chart behind Reus, Goetze, Dembele, Pulisic, Castro and Schuerrle. I think he´d be available in the winter for €15M.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
I think Brandt has a ridiculously low buy-out clause. I think I heard around €15M. But Kagawa might be a name to keep an eye on, if his love for Klopp is stronger than his hate for the PL. I don´t think Tuchel fancies him at all. I´d say he´s #6 or #7 right now on the depth chart behind Reus, Goetze, Dembele, Pulisic, Castro and Schuerrle. I think he´d be available in the winter for €15M.
Unfortunately not. Our head scout(or technical director or something like that), Michael Reschke, was responsible for the transfer of Brandt to Leverkusen and his contract. There were a lot of rumours in germany that Reschke wants Brandt at Bayern but that he's quite annoyed about the contract he gave him which makes it rather difficult/expensive to get him.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Why?

I agree.
30m is way over priced

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
3 clean sheets in a row now but it's the other end that's worrying me. We're getting slower in our passing and movement and not playing the right pass with the right weight.

Obviously we have moments where we do and we're strangely clinical but need more than just moments. Hopefully Firming and Lallana play against Bournemouth.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
I agree.
30m is way over priced
I know what you mean but I think the money men will look at him and say " 30mil is small change compared to money from shirt sales and new supporters we attract" as sad as that sounds.

Nah, feck it I want him at lfc!

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
It is their time to shine and our time to be Liverpool for ten, twenty years. Cycles and all that.

izec

They will be good as long as Klopp is there. After that, depends on their next managerial appointment.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They will be good as long as Klopp is there. After that, depends on their next managerial appointment.
As long as they don't win a title in that time, I'm happy. But if this is the standard Klopp maintains at Liverpool, it may just be a matter of time sadly.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
They don't even have top players like the other contenders. City, Chelsea, Arsenal have a comfortably better squad.
Klopp is doing a good job of getting much more the sum of their parts. Top coach.

I hope there's a slippery moment somewhere down the road.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They don't even have top players like the other contenders. City, Chelsea, Arsenal have a comfortably better squad.
Klopp is doing a good job of getting much more the sum of their parts. Top coach.

True. He's doing an incredible job this season for that reason. I'm surprised at the sheer consistency.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
True. He's doing an incredible job this season for that reason. I'm surprised at the sheer consistency.
Not being in Europe certainly helps, as it helps Chelsea. Momentum, consistency.
Liverpool don't let too many first players out even in the League Cup.

We spread the key players thin across every department, in comparison.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds

It's strange alright, players like Lallana putting on a stone of muscle yet being faster and fitter too, any saints fan would tell you they used to have to take him off at 70 minutes as he didn't have good stamina.

Funny too that Sakho was instantly hidden away after getting caught for performance enhancing drugs. The more suspicious of us might even suggest he's being punished for forgetting to take the masking agent used to conceal certain "supplements" Klopp has them taking.;)