Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

DannyDee

Because there isn't. Shooting is what you train, and that's different from finishing in an actual game. Finishing is a mental thing as much as a technical one, and there's no way to train that directly. You just can't replicate the same conditions in training
Except finishing is a skill that can be evaluated, and you can buy players who can finish. This is why we spent money on Lukaku.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I agree with your post directly above for the most part, but surely it's the managers job to get the players mentally prepared in the best way possible so they have composure in those moments? You can't train finishing, but you can manage mentality.
Yes i already said that

But you can hone your technique to such an extent that it becomes second nature. The less you have to think about the actual technique involved in finishing, the more natural it comes to you, the easier it becomes to cope with the mental side of it. Of course you can train and develop finishing skills. Look at Wayne Rooney. Or Dries Mertens.
Fernando Torres sure as hell did that at chelsea. He surely was good at it in practice. Come game time, he couldn't hit the side of a barn from 5 yards. The same Torres who was a goalscoring machine at Liverpool

Do you agree that shooting is an important part of finishing? If yes, your other point is invalid. Maybe shooting isn't everything, but if it's a factor in finishing, then you can practice finishing by practicing shooting. Besides, the manager also influences the mentality of his players.
You can practice finishing by practicing shooting, but if you can't cope with the pressure of those situations during games, it won't do you much good. And yes, manager's do influence the players mentality. I've said that. Right now it's mostly a confidence issue imho, 'pool players are too afraid of missing those chances. It's Klopp's job to get them in a mental frame where they won't feel like missing a chance is the end of the world. Being able to create more chances would be a big help

Lamps used to practice finishing and got himself hundreds of goals. You can practice anything, apart from being the victim of an accident.
You can practice the technical aspect, not the mental one. That involves a completely different type of training. In football like in life, confidence is everything. Some players are just naturally more confident than others. Look at Coutinho's finishing and compare it to Firmino or Salah

Different sport, entirely different thing

Except finishing is a skill that can be evaluated, and you can buy players who can finish. This is why we spent money on Lukaku.
Sure. But those same players scored 78 goals last season, those same players never had much problems scoring goals. A guy like Lukaku would have helped, sure, but then again a guy like Lukaku tends to eat the bulk of his teams goals. Liverpool's choice is to have 4 players who can score 15 each instead of one 30 goals striker. But that's besides the point(and yes, Klopp is covering himself there by diverting from the actual problem)

Still, fwiw, i said all summer that liverpool's priority should have been a great goalscorer

Oldham

'I wouldn't leave Liverpool for Bayern'
Paul Merson claims he wouldn't leave Liverpool for Bayern Munich and it would be a step backwards for Jurgen Klopp.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
My Liverpool supporting friend (don’t know why I even have one of them) actually said to me about 10 minutes ago that he genuinely believes that Liverpool under Klopp will win a trophy in the next 4-5 years. He will be lucky to still be the manager in that time.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Teams missing chances is for the manager to sort out as is everything else. Either your team is not on the ball mentality, or needs work behind the scenes or requires some additions, all of which can be influenced by the man in charge.

Yes there's an element that's in the moment that the manager can't influence but a lot of it, he can. Otherwise we can apply it to a lot of things. Split second instinct by a defender in the box? Manager can't do anything. Quick thinking when pressed by numbers? Manager can't do anything.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@giorno why? You said instinct can't be taught. Jordan says it can be. You just practice it enough times. It says nothing about the sports but about the importance of practising.
Because the dynamics involved are different. Strikers usually have to make faster decisions than bball players. But mostly, besides finishing at the rim in traffic, scoring baskets is about rote movements. Create separation from defender, shot. You don't have a goalkeeper to deal with, you're shooting with your hands, and unless you're taking the game-winning/tying shot, no shot you make is going to carry the same amount of pressure as a goalscoring chance in a tight game in football

Jordan said instincts can be taught. Well he's right -it's just that instincts aren't enough if you lack the confidence to trust them, and that's far more true in football than in bball, for the reasons i outlined

Sad Chris

Sure. But those same players scored 78 goals last season, those same players never had much problems scoring goals. A guy like Lukaku would have helped, sure, but then again a guy like Lukaku tends to eat the bulk of his teams goals. Liverpool's choice is to have 4 players who can score 15 each instead of one 30 goals striker.
:lol::lol::lol:

amolbhatia50k

Because the dynamics involved are different. Strikers usually have to make faster decisions than bball players. But mostly, besides finishing at the rim in traffic, scoring baskets is about rote movements. Create separation from defender, shot. You don't have a goalkeeper to deal with, you're shooting with your hands, and unless you're taking the game-winning/tying shot, no shot you make is going to carry the same amount of pressure as a goalscoring chance in a tight game in football

Jordan said instincts can be taught. Well he's right -it's just that instincts aren't enough if you lack the confidence to trust them, and that's far more true in football than in bball, for the reasons i outlined
Why do they lack the confidence? They didn't lack it when they hammered Arsenal. They didn't lack it last season.

These are just lame excuses made for the manager. If he's not able to get them mentally prepared, then he should have made changes in the summer.

I actually don't think Liverpool have an issue with chance taking in general. The odd game you don't take your chances doesn't mean it's this big issue. The team is getting some poor results so it's effecting various aspects of their game. Making it sound like this huge issue is an attempt to deflect blame from the manager (which it doesn't do either).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why do they lack the confidence? They didn't lack it when they hammered Arsenal. They didn't lack it last season.

These are just lame excuses made for the manager. If he's not able to get them mentally prepared, then he should have made changes in the summer.

I actually don't think Liverpool have an issue with chance taking in general. The odd game you don't take your chances doesn't mean it's this big issue. The team is getting some poor results so it's effecting various aspects of their game. Making it sound like this huge issue is an attempt to deflect blame from the manager (which it doesn't do either).
I agree with that mate, with the exception of blaming the manager. It's early in the season and they have had their issues with personnell(between lallana, clyne, coutinho, mané...). Blame the manager for not signing a CB better than Klavan/Gomez and/or a DM, sure. Other than that, you can blame him for the capitulation at the etihad, but that's about it. Klopp's not doing a bad job and it's disingenous to think otherwise(he's not doing a great job either)

amolbhatia50k

I agree with that mate, with the exception of blaming the manager. It's early in the season and they have had their issues with personnell(between lallana, clyne, coutinho, mané...). Blame the manager for not signing a CB better than Klavan/Gomez and/or a DM, sure. Other than that, you can blame him for the capitulation at the etihad, but that's about it. Klopp's not doing a bad job and it's disingenous to think otherwise(he's not doing a great job either)
I agree that he's not doing a bad job but a manager is responsible for how his team performs. That's applicable to Mourinho, Jose or Pep irrespective of allegiances.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What we going with this time then? Team played well, happy with the performance. Upset about a minor penalty incident no one can remember?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Thread change to sack watch surely? Already 7 points off the drift. Could be 10 by the time we finish with them. In fact I’m confident they won’t beat us so they’ll be at the least 9 points behind Man City.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What we going with this time then? Team played well, happy with the performance. Upset about a minor penalty incident no one can remember?
"We always get offside goals against us. Newcastle scored offside goal like United did last year"

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Klopp should take on boxing, that jaw would make him a pay-per-view legend.

Jurgen Flopp making hard work of it once again. A defence with all the stability of The Titanic in its last moments.

We must run at that defence all day in two weeks time. If we don't win at Anfailed, something has gone wrong. Their defence has no right to cope against us. Lukaku, Rashford and Miki running at them, and get plenty of crosses in for big Fellaini to cause panic attacks.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
One criticism of Klopp at the end (in Dortmund) was that he only works against the ball in practice, and never trains offensive movements in possession and imho that´s a huge reason they cannot break down a bus. It´s not like Palace or Newcastle play Liverpool any differently than the other top teams, but only Liverpool struggle badly to break these deep-sitting teams down.