B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
"Injury"
"Viral infection"
"Dentist appointment"
"Bad ankle"

Miraculously they never have these problems outside of international breaks.
Henderson and Gomez have been injured loads in the past.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That was generally friendlies. These are qualifiers.
England and the Dutch are already qualified, which is piss easy for the Euros these days. Games against the likes of Montenegro are just glorified friendlies.

What Robertson's problem with Scotland is, I don't know though. I don't follow it closely but feels like he misses games for them very regularly as their captain despite almost never missing games for us.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Is it coincidence that key Liverpool players are withdrawing from international duty? Robertson, Salah and today VVD has withdrawn for ‘personal reasons’.
I think Salah's is legit. He'll probably miss the next three games.

Van Dijk's is a weird one. Literally nothing else said other than 'personal reasons'. Fully expect Robertson & Henderson to be fine.

Mane was also taken off at HT for Senegal because he was on a yellow and they didn't want to lose him to suspension.

Josh 76

England and the Dutch are already qualified, which is piss easy for the Euros these days. Games against the likes of Montenegro are just glorified friendlies.

What Robertson's problem with Scotland is, I don't know though. I don't follow it closely but feels like he misses games for them very regularly as their captain despite almost never missing games for us.
Not sure why Robertson just doesn't be a man about it and quits international football. All this bullshit he gives about he would die for his country is fooling no one.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Funny how he doesn't criticise how the teams they cruise past set up isn't it.
Neither Klopp nor Pep likes teams that set up with the intention of fecking up their game plan. Anyone lacking in sheer quality to simply outplay them should just have a go - a valiant but obviously doomed effort - and then be praised for "trying to play football".

It's one of the more obnoxious qualities a manager can display, this "anti-football" card - played more or less shamelessly when you come up against someone who isn't willing to let you walk all over them for the sake of joga bonito.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Not sure why Robertson just doesn't be a man about it and quits international football. All this bullshit he gives about he would die for his country is fooling no one.
He’s admitted to not training for Liverpool games for the last 2 weeks because of a problem, it makes sense to take care of it now. These players are only human at the end of the day and have a family to think about and if aggravating an injury could jeopardise their career then it’s not worth the risk.

Gomez’s injury is legit and Henderson didn't train before the City game either, Salah looks like he’ll be out a few weeks. VVD has played almost every minute of every game both club and international for 2 years now, his country is already qualified. It makes no sense to risk him.

el3mel

TBF yeah he's the closest possible thing you can get to SAF in the current PL. Like him he gets 200% of most players and make many not so called top players push above their weight, has pretty good man management and his football is very direct. He's closer to SAF than Pep that's for sure.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Neither Klopp nor Pep likes teams that set up with the intention of fecking up their game plan. Anyone lacking in sheer quality to simply outplay them should just have a go - a valiant but obviously doomed effort - and then be praised for "trying to play football".

It's one of the more obnoxious qualities a manager can display, this "anti-football" card - played more or less shamelessly when you come up against someone who isn't willing to let you walk all over them for the sake of joga bonito.
No manager would or should "like" teams that set up with the intention of fecking up their game plan! Let's say, hypothetically, a random club, say West Ham, managed by, say Sam Allardyce set up that way against, oh I don't know, Mourinho and -- this is really the important part -- succeeds. What do you think Mourinho might have to say about that?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

As a Wycombe fan we constantly see it, even this season when we're currently top of the league!

We're superb at defending, and taking the heat out of games, and my word do others not like it!

In general, if other teams do like you, you're not going to be very competitive!

I wish some other clubs had shown what United showed against Liverpool. I know they've had some late fortunate situations, but come on, we're into mid November, and no club has really laid a glove on them.

VJ1762

I mean, Klopp sets up defensively against Pep. And that's fair, otherwise Man City will start scoring tap ins left, right and center.

The thing that doesn't sit well with me is when he says shit like "United set up defensively against me", "didn't win because United had many injuries", "the grass" etc. Like,bro, sorry for not setting up the team to part like the red sea.

And SAF reincarnated :lol::lol:. I am telling you, we have too many scousers on this forum.

Rakaposhi

Supports
Fortuna Düsseldorf
And SAF reincarnated :lol::lol:. I am telling you, we have too many scousers on this forum.
Too many people who believe in reincarnation rather. The man hasn't even died yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
No manager would or should "like" teams that set up with the intention of fecking up their game plan! Let's say, hypothetically, a random club, say West Ham, managed by, say Sam Allardyce set up that way against, oh I don't know, Mourinho and -- this is really the important part -- succeeds. What do you think Mourinho might have to say about that?
He'd no doubt find a way to spin it so that it made him, personally, look as good as possible.

In general, top managers don't like to lose - and are generally sore losers. As a United fan, being used to a certain A. Ferguson, this is something I'm very familiar with.

My issue with Klopp and - especially - Pep in this regard is that they tend to play the "anti-football" card (as I said above): as if setting up "negatively" is cheating, or a violation of some kind of code (this is Pep's usual implication - again, he's far worse than Klopp when it comes to this).

There isn't a "right" and a "wrong" way to play football in my book - not in the sense that there's an ideal way to approach the game which should be adhered to by everyone. Horses for courses, etc.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
He'd no doubt find a way to spin it so that it made him, personally, look as good as possible.

In general, top managers don't like to lose - and are generally sore losers. As a United fan, being used to a certain A. Ferguson, this is something I'm very familiar with.

My issue with Klopp and - especially - Pep in this regard is that they tend to play the "anti-football" card (as I said above): as if setting up "negatively" is cheating, or a violation of some kind of code (this is Pep's usual implication - again, he's far worse than Klopp when it comes to this).

There isn't a "right" and a "wrong" way to play football in my book - not in the sense that there's an ideal way to approach the game which should be adhered to by everyone. Horses for courses, etc.
You're not wrong about Mourinho. Check out his comments after Chelsea vs West Ham (2013/2014, I think). He was complaining about 19th Century football from West Ham.

Tbh I loved it when that happened and I hate it when teams do it to Liverpool now:D. For managers, I think it's more a frustration of being outdone on the day. That they knew what was coming and yet, failed to achieve their goal. I think all of these managers, when asked about this issue away from their immediate post match emotions are quite pragmatic and admit that some teams've gotta do what they gotta do.

I agree that Pep is a strange one though. He'll probably argue that the opposition are not playing to the best of their footballing potential and that's an affront to the footballing gods, or something (ask Nathan Redmond). Funnily his team seems to be much more vulnerable when the opposition is positive, takes risks in offense and are willing to outdo them in tactical fouling.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I think it's the opposite with Pep, I think he prefers it when teams sit back and try to stifle his side's, they are the absolute best at wearing teams down, they probe so hard and create so many physical and mental problems to deep lying opponents they will crack, whether it's the 3rd minute or the 70th, it will happen. Eventually one defender just won't have it in him to go that crucial yard (due to being systematically pulled from pillar to post) and that's that.

When teams gets results against Pep sides sitting deep it's usually down to blind luck, the way to worry his team's is to actually have a go, I mean it can backfire badly but it's the best chance of reward against him.

Liverpool is a different kettle of fish, they can actually be stifled quite well with deep tactics which can require them needing individual moments of magic (which in fairness they often get) but if they faced say Atletico in the CL I could see them being contained quite well by Simeone's set up and find it ridiculously hard to break them, whereas City I feel will beat them quite comfortably bar a written in the stars intervention.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Our problem is we sometimes don’t adjust quick enough, our creativity comes from our full backs, however when one is missing we’re easily stifled as teams can contain us down the middle and our game is non-existent. However we compound the issue by picking both Milner and Henderson as 8’s, hence we had nobody able to progress the ball to the front three and they spent the game instantly surrounded by the Napoli back line each time they did get it and ceded possession.

The creativity needs to come through the middle if the full backs are missing, either we should have played 4-2-3-1 or started with 2 of Lallana/Ox/Keita with Shaqiri being another option. We also had Origi to throw on who we didn’t use.

Whoever Klopp puts on the field more often than not gets the job done, but we are occasionally susceptible to getting the personnel wrong. We don’t have back ups and nor would we be able to get them for the full backs. We just need to switch up the way we play in games like this, we did it last year when Shaqiri played and we played great football the year before when our midfield had Ox connecting it with the attack particularly his link up with Salah. This team has proven it can play and win in a multitude of ways. Last night was frustrating because it’s a mistake that we had a plethora of options to remedy with.

Madzik_92

Our problem is we sometimes don’t adjust quick enough, our creativity comes from our full backs, however when one is missing we’re easily stifled as teams can contain us down the middle and our game is non-existent. However we compound the issue by picking both Milner and Henderson as 8’s, hence we had nobody able to progress the ball to the front three and they spent the game instantly surrounded by the Napoli back line each time they did get it and ceded possession.

The creativity needs to come through the middle if the full backs are missing, either we should have played 4-2-3-1 or started with 2 of Lallana/Ox/Keita with Shaqiri being another option. We also had Origi to throw on who we didn’t use.

Whoever Klopp puts on the field more often than not gets the job done, but we are occasionally susceptible to getting the personnel wrong. We don’t have back ups and nor would we be able to get them for the full backs. We just need to switch up the way we play in games like this, we did it last year when Shaqiri played and we played great football the year before when our midfield had Ox connecting it with the attack particularly his link up with Salah. This team has proven it can play and win in a multitude of ways. Last night was frustrating because it’s a mistake that we had a plethora of options to remedy with.
Don't worry you guys will win the PL though.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Following yesterday’s match Klopp said: "We asked is it possible to enjoy all these games. The answer is 'yes'.

Easy to slide by this comment as football jargon but isn’t this what the Liverpool success is all about right now?

Klopp has been talking about enjoying football and having fun from day 1. It removes anxiety and gives players the right to fail.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I've worn my lucky panda socks five times this year.

Against Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool and City.

We've won three, drawn two. I'm now going to start wearing them when teams play against Liverpool so they start losing. This is where Liverpool's season goes downhill.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I've worn my lucky panda socks five times this year.

Against Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool and City.

We've won three, drawn two. I'm now going to start wearing them when teams play against Liverpool so they start losing. This is where Liverpool's season goes downhill.
I will see that and raise it with my 7 year old son is panda mad. I will make sure he wears his panda socks whenever we play to ward off any evil eye. Let's see which infant triumphs. :p

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Justified, these media pricks need to stop making false quotes. He has every right to call someone out if a German translator is trying to manipulate a quote in front of a German coach.
Nonsense. He could’ve addressed the mistranslation with far more humility and tact than that.

He’s a disgrace who needs bringing down a peg or two.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Justified, these media pricks need to stop making false quotes. He has every right to call someone out if a German translator is trying to manipulate a quote in front of a German coach.
I agree with you.
Nonsense. He could’ve addressed the mistranslation with far more humility and tact than that.

He’s a disgrace who needs bringing down a peg or two.
I rarely agree with you.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's there as long as he wants to be. Potential to get a dynasty going now. Back to back title wins and all the stuff other major teams have done in last twenty years.

DoomSlayer

I hope this is a wake up call for our board, they need to realise that our status is seriously at stake right now and we need to be properly challenging the season after the next one.