Supports
Liverpool
Fantastic manager.

But has a long way to go.

Trophies:

Fergie 48
Guardiola 28
Klopp 8
We just need him to add 3 PL trophies to that while united continue the downward spiral and that’ll do.

Njord

Pep Guardiola, with his high possesion and patience in building up play, has perfected the art of breaking down the opposition's defence.

Jürgen Klopp, with his high pressing and aggressive midfield, had perfected the art of breaking down the opposition's attack.

You tell me who is the defensive manager.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Pep Guardiola, with his high possesion and patience in building up play, has perfected the art of breaking down the opposition's defence.

Jürgen Klopp, with his high pressing and aggressive midfield, had perfected the art of breaking down the opposition's attack.

You tell me who is the defensive manager.
Different styles, yes, but it takes some quite alternative thinking to describe either of them as defensive managers.

Njord

Different styles, yes, but it takes some quite alternative thinking to describe either of them as defensive managers.
The basics of Klopp's system, the first thing he fixed at Liverpool, and what you can't take out, is that his attackers and midfielders must be able to run a lot, and be aggresive. Klopp's philosophy is based on stopping the opposition from establishing their own play.

Now, Klopp is also a world class motivator and he has a wonderful eye for talent. But his team would still work if you switched the attacking components, like TAA's crossing abilty with a more creative CM. They would not work if you switched Wijnaldum and his work rate with a Özil, Mata etc.

Klopp's philosophy is entertaining yes but it is based on a defensive, destructive foundation. (And he has implemented excellent attacking qualities, so it was of course a bit tongue in cheek to call him a defensive manager).

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
The basics of Klopp's system, the first thing he fixed at Liverpool, and what you can't take out, is that his attackers and midfielders must be able to run a lot, and be aggresive. Klopp's philosophy is based on stopping the opposition from establishing their own play.

Now, Klopp is also a world class motivator and he has a wonderful eye for talent. But his team would still work if you switched the attacking components, like TAA's crossing abilty with a more creative CM. They would not work if you switched Wijnaldum and his work rate with a Özil, Mata etc.

Klopp's philosophy is entertaining yes but it is based on a defensive, destructive foundation. (And he has implemented excellent attacking qualities, so it was of course a bit tongue in cheek to call him a defensive manager).
You're not seeing the whole picture imo. Run a lot and aggressive pressing is just one part of it. Dominating possession, a high line and fast direct passes are other parts.

He plays with a very high line and has the most possession in almost every match, quite often in the 60-70% range. Only City has more possession than Liverpool.

Is winning the ball back with aggression a defensive and destructive way? Destructive for the opponent maybe, but I'd say it's the opposite of defensive.

montpelier

They haven't always gone for the high line though. I think that might be to do with VAR - keep teams away from your own penalty area, helped by the return of offside as an effective defensive tactic. Everything falls into place for them. The rest of the League looks like it hasn't caught on yet.

Also, they almost press in 2 phases. From the front to start. When they have possession, TAA and Robbo go in and they are effectively playing 343 as the DM drops back. No wonder they don't mind teams trying to play out from the back.

I don't know quite how you set about playing against them but surely you have to turn them around at some stage or at least carry the threat. But then they have 3 forwards to mark, and you can't leave the FBs space wide either. Then you also have to try and keep the ball yourselves and attack them if you can, when it's likely that your forwards and your FBs are not as good as theirs. And your team doesn't play like that or against that normally.

Dinghy

The hypocritical cnut must be embarrased by that second half as they were shit and played more defensively than any other team we've faced this season.

Dan_F

The hypocritical cnut must be embarrased by that second half as they were shit and played more defensively than any other team we've faced this season.
They absolutely battered us for the first 15/20 minutes of that half. Like. Battered. We couldn’t even get the ball out of our half.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
They absolutely battered us for the first 15/20 minutes of that half. Like. Battered. We couldn’t even get the ball out of our half.
10mns. And then got completely dominated and just resorted to hoof ball. They also did it for a 10mn period in the first half. Their periods of dominance are very intense but there were long phases in the game where we made them look very ordinary.

Dinghy

They had a good ten minute spell and then they sat back for the rest of the game. Embarrasing from Kloppo.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
And yet we kept them out.
When teams have missed chances like that against us we’ve been called lucky. Using the same logic I think you could say United were fortunate using the same logic, that we didn’t kill the game.

We wet ourselves in the final 30 minutes after that. I think Klopp’s more focussed on getting results than he is on entertaining people.

Dan_F

10mns. And then got completely dominated and just resorted to hoof ball. They also did it for a 10mn period in the first half. Their periods of dominance are very intense but there were long phases in the game where we made them look very ordinary.
Completely dominated! If you say so. We created one good chance all game. They’ve had 2 disallowed and one that DDG somehow turned onto the post.

Everyone can’t have it both ways. We apparently smashed City 1-2, despite only playing well for the first 20 minutes and that was because of the counter, not us actually dominating the ball. Liverpool got ahead, battered us for the whole first half and a bit of the second and somehow they are completely ordinary.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Mate, they had 11 behind the ball at times. We had some amazing chances and space at times but unfortunately couldn't make the most of it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Completely dominated! If you say so. We created one good chance all game. They’ve had 2 disallowed and one that DDG somehow turned onto the post.

Everyone can’t have it both ways. We apparently smashed City 1-2, despite only playing well for the first 20 minutes and that was because of the counter, not us actually dominating the ball. Liverpool got ahead, battered us for the whole first half and a bit of the second and somehow they are completely ordinary.
They had two goals correctly ruled out. We had multiple clear cut chances through Periera, Fred and Martial that were wasted, along with a tonne of shots from range. United dominated the second half and Fred was the best player on the pitch.

We deserved a point

predator

Youth NITK
I dont think he will lose sleep given the final score, the position they are in the league, the seasons he's just had :lol:

montpelier

Klopp in talking absolute bollocks shock. They were happy enough to funnel back, as they normally are.

Pagh Wraith

They had two goals correctly ruled out. We had multiple clear cut chances through Periera, Fred and Martial that were wasted, along with a tonne of shots from range. United dominated the second half and Fred was the best player on the pitch.

We deserved a point
I, for one, must have seen a completely different game. This reads like some alternate universe description.

Pagh Wraith

Let's see your version of events then.

I have been drinking which doesn't help my bias.
In terms of big chances I remember the one Martial blasted over the bar. Two decent opportunies for Fred and Andreas, but the rest were low-expectation efforts from long range. Liverpool had multiple big chances and while they certainly conceded more possession in the second half than they would have liked they weren't really pressured. A two-goal victory sounds about right to me. Maybe more a 3-1 than a 2-0, though.

montpelier

In terms of big chances I remember the one Martial blasted over the bar. Two decent opportunies for Fred and Andreas, but the rest were low-expectation efforts from long range. Liverpool had multiple big chances and while they certainly conceded more possession in the second half than they would have liked they weren't really pressured. A two-goal victory sounds about right to me. Maybe more a 3-1 than a 2-0, though.
I agree with 3-1 actually, would have fair imo.

But AWB ought to found Pereira for 1-1 at half time. And that was a genuinely bad miss by Martial.

Liverpool were better though, in all areas, really.

Dan_F

We deserved a point
I mean, the Martial one is clear cut. The rest were half chances, apart from maybe the Pereira one where he slid in.

Liverpool seemed to have us covered and could have gone up a gear. I never really felt like we would score in the last 10 mins.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
What does Klopp expect us to do without Pogba, Rashford etc?
They were lucky to win 2-0 as we had two great chances from Pereira and Martial and they were also under pressure when we pressed hard for an equalizer at the end.
So is this the ''Greatest team in the History of World football?!''
Carragher was pi**ing in his pants throughout the match.
Buy a couple of good players and we'll beat them.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Should have been 4-0 after 10 min of the second half. united are so lucky just to have stayed in it. I just don't see united getting fourth with the finishing and clear cut chances so few and far between. That said united were brave and did hang in there against a vastly superior team.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Should have been 4-0 after 10 min of the second half. united are so lucky just to have stayed in it. I just don't see united getting fourth with the finishing and clear cut chances so few and far between. That said united were brave and did hang in there against a vastly superior team.
Tripe sweeping statements.

Baneofthegame

2-1/3-1 would probably have been the fair result, we did a lot better than I was expecting, especially considering we were missing three top players.

Classical Mechanic

xG disagrees, had it a lot closer considering chance quality about 2.5 - 1.5. Which is how I saw it. I'd estimate that Pereira's chance and Martial's were the biggest two of the game. Liverpool were deserved winners but on another day we would have got something. Like a lot of Liverpool's games this season.