Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
xG disagrees, had it a lot closer considering chance quality about 2.5 - 1.5. Which is how I saw it. I'd estimate that Pereira's chance and Martial's were the biggest two of the game. Liverpool were deserved winners but on another day we would have got something. Like a lot of Liverpool's games this season.
That’s indicative of the fact Liverpool have been superb at seeing games out. The odd game can be regarded as good fortune but the ability for Liverpool to protect leads is one of the best things about this side. Plus, now 7 clean sheets in a row. Mentality is spot on.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
xG disagrees, had it a lot closer considering chance quality about 2.5 - 1.5. Which is how I saw it. I'd estimate that Pereira's chance and Martial's were the biggest two of the game. Liverpool were deserved winners but on another day we would have got something. Like a lot of Liverpool's games this season.
The match reminded me a lot of our game against Everton (5-2) only without the clinical finishing. Our front 3 have been a bit wasteful this season, which is the reason why in a lot of games the opposition have still been in the game towards the end. Yesterday being a perfect example, & Spurs last week. Both matches should have been done & dusted on the hour mark. As it was we were left biting our fingernails the last 10 minutes or so.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'm pretty confident we would've easily scored another if United equalized through Pereira or Martial.

This also confirms once again that xG is a lot of crap which needs to be dismissed altogether btw.

Classical Mechanic

That’s indicative of the fact Liverpool have been superb at seeing games out. The odd game can be regarded as good fortune but the ability for Liverpool to protect leads is one of the best things about this side. Plus, now 7 clean sheets in a row. Mentality is spot on.
The match reminded me a lot of our game against Everton (5-2) only without the clinical finishing. Our front 3 have been a bit wasteful this season, which is the reason why in a lot of games the opposition have still been in the game towards the end. Yesterday being a perfect example, & Spurs last week. Both matches should have been done & dusted on the hour mark. As it was we were left biting our fingernails the last 10 minutes or so.
Understat actually have it closer.

https://understat.com/team/Liverpool/2019

@redman5

What xG tells you is that it's unreasonable to expect a 5-2 like against Everton because you were actually much more clinical than average in that game. Understat says that you actually scored as many goals as expected in yesterdays game but we under-performed the quality of our chances compared to the average.

Their xPTS table indicates that City have been the best side on balance of play but Liverpool have been over-performing both offensively and defensively. In regards to the defensive side of things that's where 'luck' can come from, the opposition squandering too many good chances or some great goalkeeping. Attacking wise I think Liverpool's forward have been great and Trent's set pieces make a big difference because they're so good whilst being low quality chances as a general rule. The question is if this over-performance is sustainable.

https://understat.com/league/EPL/2019

Classical Mechanic

redman5

What does Klopp expect us to do without Pogba, Rashford etc?
They were lucky to win 2-0 as we had two great chances from Pereira and Martial and they were also under pressure when we pressed hard for an equalizer at the end.
So is this the ''Greatest team in the History of World football?!''
Carragher was pi**ing in his pants throughout the match.
Buy a couple of good players and we'll beat them.
You bought 3 good players in the summer in James, AWB, & Maquire. Spent over £100 million whilst we spent pretty much nothing. Do you think there maybe other factors involved in United's current plight ?

redman5

@redman5

What xG tells you is that it's unreasonable to expect a 5-2 like against Everton because you were actually much more clinical than average in that game. Understat says that you actually scored as many goals as expected in yesterdays game but we under-performed the quality of our chances compared to the average.

Their xPTS table indicates that City have been the best side on balance of play but Liverpool have been over-performing both offensively and defensively. In regards to the defensive side of things that's where 'luck' can come from, the opposition squandering too many good chances or some great goalkeeping. Attacking wise I think Liverpool's forward have been great and Trent's set pieces make a big difference because they're so good whilst being low quality chances as a general rule. The question is if this over-performance is sustainable.

https://understat.com/league/EPL/2019
I'm not bothered what xG 'tells us'. My eyes & memory told me that yesterday's scoreline could quite easily have been similar to that of the Everton game, based on chances created, & chances missed.

lsd

The Oracle
Why are people seriously using xg to describe the game ?

Utd were totally outplayed and are lucky it was only 2.0

christinaa

Gossip Girl
You bought 3 good players in the summer in James, AWB, & Maquire. Spent over £100 million whilst we spent pretty much nothing. Do you think there maybe other factors involved in United's current plight ?
You are conveniently forgetting that we got cash from the sale of Lukaku so we did not spend 100 million.

United's current plight (as you say) is nothing compared to what LiVARpool and their fans went through for a whole 30 years (must have been so, so hard watching your rivals come from 7 to 20 Leagues) - just to remind you.

And It doesn't say much for LiVARpool that had United scored the Pereira and Martial chances yesterday would have been a different story and with our depleted side they thought they would smash us.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
The Mane chance was identical to Pereira’s except even more clean cut/through. He had another one he fluffed as well with a cross/shot.
Salah missed the biggest sitter of the game. And De Gea pulled off a worldie off the Henderson shot.
Man Utd had one clear shot (Martial) and about 3-4 half attempts. You were thoroughly outplayed.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
The Mane chance was identical to Pereira’s except even more clean cut/through. He had another one he fluffed as well with a cross/shot.
Salah missed the biggest sitter of the game. And De Gea pulled off a worldie off the Henderson shot.
Man Utd had one clear shot (Martial) and about 3-4 half attempts. You were thoroughly outplayed.
It's funny how we see things so differently.
Seems funny too that we're the only team to have taken points off these and also with a depleted side and also we could have won it too after our first half injuries in that match. :)

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool

@redman5

The question is if this over-performance is sustainable.
Depends what is meant by 'sustainable'.

Currently lost 1 game in 61 - that's incredible. Won 30 of last 31 games, which is jaw-dropping.

At what point do we need to offer deeper analysis than xG? I do like xG as a point of reference but the amount of money and preparation that clubs put into statistical analysis would indicate that it is, at best, a crude measure and doesn't offer a depth that explains certain aspects of the game.

If a statistic indicates a team 16 (19) points adrift are doing 'better' than the team at the top then my issue is with the utility of that statistic and the data that sits beneath it.

Imagine in 2000 when United recorded their record points tally - 18 points clear of Arsenal - and a stats guy was telling you that Arsenal were actually better in terms of 'balance of play'. I'm sure RedCafe would have you excommunicated.

All seems a bit reductive to me and not actual analysis.

Classical Mechanic

Currently lost 1 game in 61 - that's incredible. Won 30 of last 31 games, which is jaw-dropping.

At what point do we need to offer deeper analysis than xG? I do like xG as a point of reference but the amount of money and preparation that clubs put into statistical analysis would indicate that it is, at best, a crude measure and doesn't offer a depth that explains certain aspects of the game.

If a statistic indicates a team 16 (19) points adrift are doing 'better' than the team at the top then my issue is with the utility of that statistic and the data that sits beneath it.

Imagine in 2000 when United recorded their record points tally - 18 points clear of Arsenal - and a stats guy was telling you that Arsenal were actually better in terms of 'balance of play'. I'm sure RedCafe would have you excommunicated.

It depends, some people get angry and confused out when stats tell them something they don't want to hear, others are curious as to what the underlying trends tell us. I'll admit that when xG told us last year that Ole's initial run was a freak, I dismissed it also but after looking into it xG is probably the best metric there is that's available to us plebs. Funnily enough I've had the same arguments with Leicester fans this season as xG had been saying that their form early on was massively out-performing the average both offensively and defensively, so that would suggest a correction would occur. Here we are now with them losing 4 in 6 and looking like what I suspect they are, a higher mid-table team that was on a freak run, rather than a special group of players under a genius manager.

The basic statistical data of losing only winning 30 in 31 should tell that the run is highly unusual or a 'freak'. Arsenal never recovered after the bubble was burst on their '50 not out' run. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if that happened to this Liverpool side.

You are correct in that xG is not a tell all metric and factors like a great goalkeeper and great attackers might lead a team to out-perform its xG longer term. Some sides in Spain seem to have. Personally I'd back City to win the title next season though as I think the data shows they're a better footballing side and Pep will get the backing to make the tweaks in player quality.

I guess as this is a United forum I won't be excommunicated for posting like this about Liverpool :)

@_00_deathscar

It depends how you look at it. Henderson is highly unlikely to score from that position so you can frame it as lucky that he got so close to doing so, thats why it wouldn't have affected the xG positively very much.

Last edited:

christinaa

Gossip Girl

It may be that all the other teams are passing through a bad phase, at the same time, so nothing incredible or jaw-dropping about this LiVARpool team.

Paul_Scholes18

I miss his excuses after defeats :(. Not happening no more.
Hopefully they get smashed in the CL!

He spent all summer training in wind, rain, thunder, heat, cold, on mud etc to make them ready for it now.

Paul_Scholes18

I'm not bothered what xG 'tells us'. My eyes & memory told me that yesterday's scoreline could quite easily have been similar to that of the Everton game, based on chances created, & chances missed.
Apperently those free headers for Van Dijk is pretty low xG. Although in reality he will score most of the time when noone is marking him well.

passing-wind

Why are people seriously using xg to describe the game ?

Utd were totally outplayed and are lucky it was only 2.0
Thanks it's nice to know some of us still live here on earth rather than mars. The balance of play and momentum of games always speaks volumes about a fixture more so than any statistical analysis highlights. By our own managers admission we were extremely fortunate the first half to not have been blown apart.

Paul_Scholes18

It depends, some people get angry and confused out when stats tell them something they don't want to hear, others are curious as to what the underlying trends tell us. I'll admit that when xG told us last year that Ole's initial run was a freak, I dismissed it also but after looking into it xG is probably the best metric there is that's available to us plebs. Funnily enough I've had the same arguments with Leicester fans this season as xG had been saying that their form early on was massively out-performing the average both offensively and defensively, so that would suggest a correction would occur. Here we are now with them losing 4 in 6 and looking like what I suspect they are, a higher mid-table team that was on a freak run, rather than a special group of players under a genius manager.

The basic statistical data of losing only winning 30 in 31 should tell that the run is highly unusual or a 'freak'. Arsenal never recovered after the bubble was burst on their '50 not out' run. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if that happened to this Liverpool side.

You are correct in that xG is not a tell all metric and factors like a great goalkeeper and great attackers might lead a team to out-perform its xG longer term. Some sides in Spain seem to have. Personally I'd back City to win the title next season though as I think the data shows they're a better footballing side and Pep will get the backing to make the tweaks in player quality.

I guess as this is a United forum I won't be excommunicated for posting like this about Liverpool :)

@_00_deathscar

It depends how you look at it. Henderson is highly unlikely to score from that position so you can frame it as lucky that he got so close to doing so, thats why it wouldn't have affected the xG positively very much.
You need to use xG correctly. To use it for individual games is fine to see which teams had chances, but a season average might not tell that much. If you totally destroy a side 6-0 with xG 7 then it is great, but it still gives you only 3 points.Just like goal difference do not tell you which sides is the best one.
City smashing the bottom sides doesn't mean they will win the hard games too. Liverpool defend better and get those 1-0 wins, but also wins big at times in big games.

montpelier

There's no real way Utd deserved anything, 2-0 seemed about right to me. Mane chance equates to Martial muss. Salah should have scored, AWB should have given Pereira a standing up tap in. This starts to take us towards 3-1, 4-2, 5-2 maybe, when we think LFC had others opps too.

xG doesn't seem like it has any consistency of calculation imo, so is nonsense basically

Classical Mechanic

You need to use xG correctly. To use it for individual games is fine to see which teams had chances, but a season average might not tell that much. If you totally destroy a side 6-0 with xG 7 then it is great, but it still gives you only 3 points.Just like goal difference do not tell you which sides is the best one.
City smashing the bottom sides doesn't mean they will win the hard games too. Liverpool defend better and get those 1-0 wins, but also wins big at times in big games.
City have been behind in the xG in 2 games this season and only lost one of those games. When they drew with Newcastle the xG was 0.21 - 2.44 yet the score was 2-2. Those are the type of 'unlucky' games that Liverpool have managed to avoid this season.

I think the xPTS table serves to illustrate the seasonal dynamic.

redman5

You are conveniently forgetting that we got cash from the sale of Lukaku so we did not spend 100 million.

United's current plight (as you say) is nothing compared to what LiVARpool and their fans went through for a whole 30 years (must have been so, so hard watching your rivals come from 7 to 20 Leagues) - just to remind you.

And It doesn't say much for LiVARpool that had United scored the Pereira and Martial chances yesterday would have been a different story and with our depleted side they thought they would smash us.
Do you think there maybe other factors involved in United's current plight ?

That's the question I asked you in my post. It was a reasonable question imo, so why didn't you offer your opinion as to why your club is in the position it is after spending so much money ? Pointing out stuff like if Pereira had done this or if Martial had done that is totally irrelevant. If you don't want to answer the question then fine. But using deflection & ridicule is an absolute cop-out.

GazTheLegend

I'm pretty confident we would've easily scored another if United equalized through Pereira or Martial.

This also confirms once again that xG is a lot of crap which needs to be dismissed altogether btw.
It’s not though, you’ve got away with points in so many games you were shite in.

Not quite sure how Liverpool have gone unbeaten all season, but it has got to the stage where is probably a mental thing for even the opposition to overcome, loads of teams are missing absolute sitters against the scousers somehow.

redman5

Thanks it's nice to know some of us still live here on earth rather than mars. The balance of play and momentum of games always speaks volumes about a fixture more so than any statistical analysis highlights. By our own managers admission we were extremely fortunate the first half to not have been blown apart.
It's like the narrative by a few people that we're a long ball team. It's something we do to counter the high press. It's not exactly a big hopeful hoof to a big lumbering centre forward, it's generally a crossfield diagonal pass to one of the fullbacks who've advanced into the opposition half. VVD does it very well.

redman5

It’s not though, you’ve got away with points in so many games you were shite in.

Not quite sure how Liverpool have gone unbeaten all season, but it has got to the stage where is probably a mental thing for even the opposition to overcome, loads of teams are missing absolute sitters against the scousers somehow.
I'm pretty sure if you went back over the past 12-18 months you'd find very few matches where the opposition have created the better chances than us during the course of the match. We missed a few sitters ourselves yesterday yet all we see on here is how United could/should have scored 1, or maybe 2, goals. Same with Spurs last week, we should have easily been 3-0 up at half-time but it's lucky Liverpool because Spurs messed up a couple of chances in the 2nd half.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
What depleted side ? What first half injuries ?
I made the mistake of trying to have a reasonable conversation with Christinaa once... she just kept baiting and when I eventually snapped, she didn't like it much. I wouldn't bother mate

GazTheLegend

I'm pretty sure if you went back over the past 12-18 months you'd find very few matches where the opposition have created the better chances than us during the course of the match. We missed a few sitters ourselves yesterday yet all we see on here is how United could/should have scored 1, or maybe 2, goals. Same with Spurs last week, we should have easily been 3-0 up at half-time but it's lucky Liverpool because Spurs messed up a couple of chances in the 2nd half.
Off the top of my head, Chelsea and Southampton both outplayed you badly and you still won so yeah there’s that. I haven’t followed every Liverpool game for the last 12 months or however long as that’s a pretty depressing thing to do as a member of Uniteds grim but loyal but I’m sure there are other occasions. Ourselves too.

Paul_Scholes18

City have been behind in the xG in 2 games this season and only lost one of those games. When they drew with Newcastle the xG was 0.21 - 2.44 yet the score was 2-2. Those are the type of 'unlucky' games that Liverpool have managed to avoid this season.

I think the xPTS table serves to illustrate the seasonal dynamic.
The thing though is when teams got a result against City they tend to sit back and defend deep not creating much.
Newcastle just defended deep and didn't allow City that many great chances. Although once behind they attacked more and got the goals within 10 minutes both times.
That has more to do with poor defending from City than luck in my opinion. De Bruynes goal was brilliant and Shelveys too. These things can happen if you allow players too much space/time even outside the box.

Liverpool has had a lot of luck with VAR and stuff like that. Although they defend much better once ahead.
Granted both us and Spurs could have scored against them, but they often make it harder for the opponents than City.

I don't really think City deserves many more points. Liverpool has got more than expected obviously, but once behind they often comes back in games too.

redman5

Off the top of my head, Chelsea and Southampton both outplayed you badly and you still won so yeah there’s that. I haven’t followed every Liverpool game for the last 12 months or however long as that’s a pretty depressing thing to do as a member of Uniteds grim but loyal but I’m sure there are other occasions. Ourselves too.
Just checked the stats on both games (Southampton & Chelsea). Against the Saints we had 6 shots on target to their 3, & 3 on target against Chelsea whereas they had 2. What's important though is the fact we were 2-0 up in both games, so that kind of changes the perspective somewhat because the losing side generally works harder in trying to get something from the game, especially when they're playing at home. I think it's that perspective that a lot of people actually see which helps form their their 'lucky Liverpool' view. Danny Ings missed a sitter late on against us, but we missed a couple of good chances to go 3 up prior to that. I can't recall a single game where the opposition have had us under the cosh for most of the match & we've stolen a draw or a victory.

cyberman

Sheff United were the better side as well.
Thats what makes them so impressive, they dont shut teams down and they still dominate like this.

AshRK

The difference was the quality. Liverpool when on top were really amazing and should have buried the game but after the 65th min mark we pegged them back and we had 81% possession during that 15-20 min period. I still think City on their day are more unplayable and more fun to watch.

redman5

Sheff United were the better side as well.
Thats what makes them so impressive, they dont shut teams down and they still dominate like this.
How were they the better side with just 29% possession & 2 shots on target to our 4 ? They worked their socks off & made it very difficult for us, but again we should have gone in front well before Henderson's mistake. They too also missed a great chance to score near the end though.

GazTheLegend

Just checked the stats on both games (Southampton & Chelsea). Against the Saints we had 6 shots on target to their 3, & 3 on target against Chelsea whereas they had 2. What's important though is the fact we were 2-0 up in both games, so that kind of changes the perspective somewhat because the losing side generally works harder in trying to get something from the game, especially when they're playing at home. I think it's that perspective that a lot of people actually see which helps form their their 'lucky Liverpool' view. Danny Ings missed a sitter late on against us, but we missed a couple of good chances to go 3 up prior to that. I can't recall a single game where the opposition have had us under the cosh for most of the match & we've stolen a draw or a victory.
Nobody is saying “lucky Liverpool” but to claim you’ve been the better side and deserved to win EVERY game is bonkers.

My Liverpool supporting mate alwyas had a saying that “champions find a way to win” which is probably the best way to put how I feel - it’s a mental thing and a lot comes from having a manager and players that have tremendous belief in their own ability.

So this is like an insight into how strong pool have been mentally, and such - even in games they’ve not been at their best they’ve found wins.

But IIRC Liverpool dominated tons of games even in their first season under Klopp and didn’t always win and even lost some of those games - that for me is the difference, I remember pool losing and having like 30 shots on goal - now it’s that calmness and belief you are GOING to score and even if you’re a goal down that belief that you’re still gonna win that’s huge

Plenty of games Liverpool haven’t been great in that I’ve seen but