Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He’s clearly a top manager but this idea that he’s working with shite is very strange. His starting XI is comfortably the best in football. You could easily make the case for any of Alisson, Trent, Van Dijk, Robertson, Thiago and Salah being the best in the world in their position. Them not winning the league or the CL is failure.
What?
Trent banging 50 aimless crosses in a game doesn't make him the best right back in the world. Check the Madrid guy for what a top quality right back can be.
No-one would have Thiago top in his position either, let alone "easily" making a case.

He's got a great unit, with a few stand out players.

Sir Kenny: "The best two teams in Yoorop are Liv'pool and Man City."

Not the team that beat them both then.

PL is so far up its own arse it's not even funny.

Deluded
Real demonstrated incredible resilience to win the trophy, but both City and Liverpool should have put them away. I can see where he is coming from, but the fact is neither English team finished the job. When you're on top you must make it count.

Suedesi

Real demonstrated incredible resilience to win the trophy, but both City and Liverpool should have put them away. I can see where he is coming from, but the fact is neither English team finished the job. When you're on top you must make it count.
Phleez - Real were very comfortable last night. I thought they would suffer the press, and generally teams under pressure tend to make mistakes, miss passes, hoof the ball.

Real did none of that, they were pinging passes in tight spaces, recycling the ball and didn't seem hurried at all. Real are by design the type of team that are happy to absorb pressure, play on the margin, and then hit you on the counter. It's happened time and time again to be a coincidence.

I'd say the English team that gave them the most trouble was Chelsea - they're the most 'continental' English team.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What?
Trent banging 50 aimless crosses in a game doesn't make him the best right back in the world. Check the Madrid guy for what a top quality right back can be.
No-one would have Thiago top in his position either, let alone "easily" making a case.

TAA > Carvajal, if that is who you are referring to.

Phleez - Real were very comfortable last night. I thought they would suffer the press, and generally teams under pressure tend to make mistakes, miss passes, hoof the ball.

Real did none of that, they were pinging passes in tight spaces, recycling the ball and didn't seem hurried at all. Real are by design the type of team that are happy to absorb pressure, play on the margin, and then hit you on the counter. It's happened time and time again to be a coincidence.

I'd say the English team that gave them the most trouble was Chelsea - they're the most 'continental' English team.
What about City, with a two goal lead in the final minute? Real showed great character, but both City and Liverpool outplayed them. You have to take your chances.

bleedred

What about City, with a two goal lead in the final minute? Real showed great character, but both City and Liverpool outplayed them. You have to take your chances.
City over two legs, maybe.

But they weren't outplayed by any means yesterday. Yes, they had many shots on target, but the Real defense was comfortable for the most part. Its not as if they were hanging on for their lives till the end. They managed the game well after the first 25 mins or so.

Josh 76

Let's hope they get it wrong, but Klopp has gotten very little wrong thus far.
It’s going turn out like Wenger. Great for the first few years, then faded badly. I don’t think he will be able to rebuild after losing the core of the team. This team has one more season. He should have walked after that.

Suedesi

The comeback against City was dramatic and all, but I thought Chelsea matched up so well against them and had them on the run in Bernabeu. That was a cnut of a comeback

Regardless, we're talking about Liverpool here and it was by far Real's easiest game against English oppo.

The comeback against City was dramatic and all, but I thought Chelsea matched up so well against them and had them on the run in Bernabeu. That was a cnut of a comeback

Regardless, we're talking about Liverpool here and it was by far Real's easiest game against English oppo.
But Real were still second best, as 24-3 shots demonstrates. Thankfully, they prevailed, but we can't rely on the Scousers misfiring all the time; we can't have another 1970s/1980s. We must now look to ourselves.

Tavern in the town

What?

He has 44 assists in the league in the last 4 seasons. Any reasonable fan would think there’s a case for him being the best right back in the world. It’s only on the Caf where that’s considered such an outlandish opinion.

spiriticon

RM bypassed their press beautifully via passage of passing several times. Especially the goal where Modric made a Mickey out of their press.

Klopp complaining about long ball this game is straw clutching. He's basically asking for his opponent to stupidly play into his hand for no good reason. It's like asking opposition to give them a goal advantage just because they're Liverpool.
That's true, but not many teams can do that so beautifully though. It's not the first time Klopp has complained about long balls, he does this to every team who dares to try bypass his midfield and I find it a little arrogant.

Suedesi

• Had no business being in a CL final with Dortmund in the first place - lost to a team they and everyone else finished ~30 points behind in the league who were clearly just much better than them.
  • Lost to a Real Madrid side who came in having won back-to-back CL's, who ended up winning 4 in 5 years and who'll go down as one of the greatest club sides in history as a result.
  • Basically lost last night because of an all-time great goalkeeping performance.
:houllier:

Suedesi

It does. But for an amazing goalkeeping performance, Real would have been well beaten.
OK mate - most of the shots were routine; I count 2 WC saves, one against Mane and one against Salah

But since we're in the world of hypotheticals, had it not been for a controversial ref decision Real Madrid would be 1-0 at halftime
Had it not been for a silly Casemiro pass or a Ceballos indecision in front of Alisson it would have been 2-0

In all honesty, Klopp got schooled by Ancelotti. Liverpool's Klopp does not seem able to break a low block - it's been a problem for them all season long (hence not being able to beat any of the top 4 sides this season - 2 lucky draws with City, 4 draws with Chelsea, 2 draws with Spurs, 0 goals in 330 minutes of finals), but sure take the shots advantage, I'm sure it's dampened Madrid's celebrations today

:lol:

OK mate - most of the shots were routine; I count 2 WC saves, one against Mane and one against Salah

But since we're in the world of hypotheticals, had it not been for a controversial ref decision Real Madrid would be 1-0 at halftime
Had it not been for a silly Casemiro pass or a Ceballos indecision in front of Alisson it would have been 2-0

In all honesty, Klopp got schooled by Ancelotti. Liverpool's Klopp does not seem able to break a low block - it's been a problem for them all season long (hence not being able to beat any of the top 4 sides this season - 2 lucky draws with City, 4 draws with Chelsea, 2 draws with Spurs, 0 goals in 330 minutes of finals), but sure take the shots advantage, I'm sure it's dampened Madrid's celebrations today

:lol:
The point is we can't keep relying on Liverpool to mess up. Without getting bogged down in minutiae, they should have won last night. Klopp will keep coming back for more, so we need to be ready. They have reached three CL finals in five years; we aren't even in the competition. We have so much work to do.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Those 5 minutes where we 3-0 up at the Bernabeu was literally the highlight of my season. I was on cloud 9 :lol:

caid

To be honest i think most teams kind of outplayed Real throughout the competition. PSG should have beaten them too kind of.
They've been a pretty weird case this season. They'll be outplayed and have no control of the match for 70+ minutes and concede a good few chances and often a few goals. They just create a lot of chances in the 5 minutes they're on top and are insanely clinical. Benzema's form is hard to maintain.
I thought they looked comfortable last night, and calm and professional. But Courtois made way too many great saves to say thats actually true. They just always look that way. I don't think liverpool were particularly good last night mind you, kind of wasteful and feckless.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Klopp is a brilliant manager who has done great things with the vermin

I think this team is largely at the end of its peak though. I wonder if the owners have the intention to fund another big summer and get 3-4 big signings done. If not then I think they'll not be within 10 points of city next season

ti vu

To be honest i think most teams kind of outplayed Real throughout the competition. PSG should have beaten them too kind of.
They've been a pretty weird case this season. They'll be outplayed and have no control of the match for 70+ minutes and concede a good few chances and often a few goals. They just create a lot of chances in the 5 minutes they're on top and are insanely clinical. Benzema's form is hard to maintain.
I thought they looked comfortable last night, and calm and professional. But Courtois made way too many great saves to say thats actually true. They just always look that way. I don't think liverpool were particularly good last night mind you, kind of wasteful and feckless.
Italian manager wins it the Italian way perhaps?

Try it this way. Italy which is well known for their defense/defensive play, their goalkeeping has a history of excellence too. The reality is that goalkeeping is also vital part of the defense art.

The total football principle may place more expectation on sweeping, and distribution than actually shot stopping, doesn't mean that is the best goalkeeping standard. Same can say about the style. Dominating many metric, but not be able to take exhaust your opposition mentally and physically then got suckered punch.

It's sport. Else where end up watch computer generated stimulation with hard set standard.

Pearl.Jam

He has 44 assists in the league in the last 4 seasons. Any reasonable fan would think there’s a case for him being the best right back in the world. It’s only on the Caf where that’s considered such an outlandish opinion.
Assists aside, isn’t he meant to be a defender ? Which I’m pretty sure in the job description entails stopping balls going into your own net which he is patently shit at…best right back in the world :houllier: your defence of him is borderline ridiculous..

nope, it’s batshit crazy

Tavern in the town

Assists aside, isn’t he meant to be a defender ? Which I’m pretty sure in the job description entails stopping balls going into your own net which he is patently shit at…best right back in the world :houllier: your defence of him is borderline ridiculous..

nope, it’s batshit crazy
It’s 2022. A full back’s primary job for top teams is offensive. You’re not living in the real word if you think otherwise.

Anustart89

nope, it’s batshit crazy
If his defensive deficiencies cost his team 4-5 goals per season but he contributes to 15 either by assisting or other offensive contributions (scoring, pass before the assist, overlapping runs that free up space for Salah et al), do you not see the net positive in that equation? I mean, compare that to AWB who contributes to 3-4 goals per season but is also liable for 3-4 goals per season by being unable to hold an offside line and mark at the back post. Would you still go with AWB because he's primarily a defender?

mu4c_20le

Serious shortage of world class right backs the moment then. I'd put a fit and healthy Walker over him any time. He can also attack, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

iamking

It wont be too much of a stretch to say Real had a Euro-Greece like run this CL. They were absolutely second best in all their 4 games against PSG, Chelsea, City and Liverpool. Don't let the dipper-hate cloud common sense and make them seem like some Messiah. They were absolutely dominated yesterday. If we go just by yesterday's account, Benzema, Modric, Vini had literally zero impact. The game's best players were the GK (Court), RB(Caravajal), DM (Casemiro in the 2nd half) and the GOAL POST. Rest of them were pathetic. The football gods were kind to us and all our suffering and prayers were answered in the form of an inspired Courtois and his wonder-saves.

One of the poorest CL winners since Chelsea 2012, Liverpool 2005. Great run of results, yes, very lucky will be the right verdict.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Replacing Salah or Mane will be tough, I'm not as hyped on Luis Diaz as others seem to be. I don't think he's at the level of either of the two, don't know if they will invest the money from selling either on buying another player in that role but I think they will have to find the next great winger.
Same. He doesn’t seem to be the most clinical or even have an eye for goal. He’s incredible at getting the ball forward but his best attributes are probably best utilized when he’s playing next to a CF.

Josh 76

It wont be too much of a stretch to say Real had a Euro-Greece like run this CL. They were absolutely second best in all their 4 games against PSG, Chelsea, City and Liverpool. Don't let the dipper-hate cloud common sense and make them seem like some Messiah. They were absolutely dominated yesterday. If we go just by yesterday's account, Benzema, Modric, Vini had literally zero impact. The game's best players were the GK (Court), RB(Caravajal), DM (Casemiro in the 2nd half) and the GOAL POST. Rest of them were pathetic. The football gods were kind to us and all our suffering and prayers were answered in the form of an inspired Courtois and his wonder-saves.

One of the poorest CL winners since Chelsea 2012, Liverpool 2005. Great run of results, yes, very lucky will be the right verdict.
Don’t think anyone is saying Real were amazing. Think all Utd fans are just relieved they just won. If Liverpool were better and unlucky, I don’t really give a feck!

Tavern in the town

Serious shortage of world class right backs the moment then. I'd put a fit and healthy Walker over him any time. He can also attack, it doesn't have to be one or the other.
Not really. At the moment you’ve got Trent, Walker, Cancelo, Reece James, Kimmich (plays in midfield now but he was amazing there), Carvajal and Hakimi. Sounds pretty stacked to me.

NoPace

Liverpool were better between the boxes, but only Mane's shot that Courtois hit the post on was near the quality of final pass/strike that Valverde's game winning assist was. The Madrid defenders and Casemiro had strong games. Also the disallowed goal was genuinely 50/50 to be one, which basically equals the Mane post moment.

I'd say play the game 10 times and it's something like Liverpool win 5, 3 draws and 2 Madrid wins, so I can see why Liverpool feel a bit aggrieved, but Courtois is the keeper on the biggest team in the world because he can have games like this, not for his ability to sweep or pass, so it's kind of meaningless to say "their keeper won it for them." He's a De Gea type, not an Allison/Ederson type, and if one of the latter sets up a goal you don't go "well their keeper had an assist."

Honestly seems like another game where Klopp/Liverpool's failure to get a really quality match winning midfielder doomed them in Europe. 90M pounds on Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain and it's the one real hole in the squad. They use their midfielders as workers and let TAA do the creating, and it mostly works brilliantly obviously, so I'm not suggesting they buy a Riquelme type, but it is the one obvious hole in their squad, and obviously when their chief rivals have Kevin De Bruyne it's hard not to see it.

Wouldn't blame Klopp, though, aside from him being the one to push for Keita I assume? His team created more, he didn't make any particularly bad calls in the first XI or subs and one piece of magic from of Salah or TAA instead of a bunch of 7/10 deliveries and they probably win it.