Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

bio202

Supports
liverpool
I don't know if dropping Karius is good for him. It might ruin his belief and young keepers need time to develop.

That being said, you're right that Karius has been awful so far. Apart from his distribution, I don't really see where he's a step up from Mignolet.
I think Mignolet would have saved a few of those shots on Sunday. Probably would have had a rick too boot but we would have won.:(

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
when did mignolet become a keeper who saves shots?

His save percentage was the worst in the league of any first choice keeper last season.

bio202

Supports
liverpool

His save percentage was the worst in the league of any first choice keeper last season.
Don't know his percentages but to me Klarius doesn't even stretch for the ball on two of those goals. Feel he's a bit "rabbit in the headlights" atm.

I'm sticking with him but I'm worried about him. He needs to improve quickly now.

VanGaalEra

You guys could and should have signed Timo Horn, but chose Karius.

Timo Horn is calm, assured and no nonsense and that's the kind of keeper Liverpool needed IMO.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Don't know his percentages but to me Klarius doesn't even stretch for the ball on two of those goals. Feel he's a bit "rabbit in the headlights" atm.

I'm sticking with him but I'm worried about him. He needs to improve quickly now.
Karius did make a few decent saves though that for the ones Karius let in that Mignolet may have held on to he may have also let in the ones Karius saved.

Timo Horn is calm, assured and no nonsense and that's the kind of keeper Liverpool needed IMO.
I'm a big fan of Horn as well. Although I do sometimes question how much he benefits from how good Koln's defensive system is.

That said he is who I hope Spurs sign should Lloris ever leave.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Pretty much the same was said about Karius at Mainz last season. Karius and Horn were equally impressive in the last Bundesliga season and amongst the league´s top keeper. They are differences between them of course (Karius has better distribution but is a bit weaker in the air than Horn for example) but nearly no frequent Bundesliga follower would doubt their overall quality.

I think many underestimate how hard the Transition to a bigger club can be for a GK. We have seen many times that it would take time for keeper to really arrive at their new club.

We went through the same period last season with Roman Bürki. Bürki was performing like a world beater for Freiburg, but struggled pretty heavily in his first half season with us (so much that quite a few had a new GK at the top of their lists for the summer transfer window). Now in his second season he is completely undisputed and actually wins us games from time to time.

This kind of thing can be even witnessed on an even higher level. Premium level keeper like Neuer or De Gea did not have super convincing starts at their clubs either.

There is of course no guarantuee that Karius will come good eventually, but it is far too soon to write him off just yet. If he has as much frequency in his mistakes at the end of the season and Shows no real signs of development, then it will be a different story, though.

Camilo

Premium level keeper like Neuer or De Gea did not have super convincing starts at their clubs either.
It's very true that De Gea was pretty awful in his first season or so - it's impossible to judge young keepers early on. If Klopp sticks with him you have to assume he's got something good, but hopefully he doesn't show it for a few more months!

VanGaalEra

Cameroon coach:

“When I took over as coach I went to see him in Gelsenkirchen and ask him to return to the team,” Broos told Belgium’s Voetbal Magazine.

“But he said to me ‘nothing is organised properly in Cameroon’.

“I asked him to give me a chance to prove that we could do it better but he was not convinced.

“But in the meantime I’ve heard that he is now prepared to make a comeback and so I am going to go and see him again.”

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Hearing from a Pool mate of mine at work that apparently Matip might be going to AFCON now. This true?

@Klopper76 @Rafateria @B20
The Cameroon manager is trying to get him to play. I really hope he says no because we'll need him in January. I've also heard that we're not interested in Van Dijk either which is disappointing if true. Klopp is apparently keen to get Gomez back into the set up.

VanGaalEra

The Cameroon manager is trying to get him to play. I really hope he says no because we'll need him in January. I've also heard that we're not interested in Van Dijk either which is disappointing if true. Klopp is apparently keen to get Gomez back into the set up.
Fingers crossed Matip gets convinced to go and Van Dijk isn't signed either :keano:

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Fingers crossed Matip gets convinced to go and Van Dijk isn't signed either :keano:
We can't go into January with three competitions to play in and Lovren/Lucas as our first choice CB's, so I'll assume that we're signing a defender in January or that there is a plan to bring Gomez in.

VanGaalEra

We can't go into January with three competitions to play in and Lovren/Lucas as our first choice CB's, so I'll assume that we're signing a defender in January or that there is a plan to bring Gomez in.
Return of the Sakho?

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Return of the Sakho?
I don't think that's happening considering what's been said recently (about Sakho having no future at the club), but then I didn't think I'd see Schweinsteiger in a United shirt again. Never say never and all that.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Realistically targets for Liverpool in the near future should include a new left-back (Milner is not a long term solution), a new centre-back partner for Matip (Lovren isn't good enough), and more depth for wingers.

Karius
Clyne - Matip - Van Dijk - Hector
Henderson - Can - Lallana
Mane - Firmino - Coutinho

A squad like that should be good enough to challenge for the league, especially with Klopp as manager, assuming that Karius is actually better than what he showed against Bournemouth.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Milner qualitywise is a longterm solution. Only downside is that he doesn't have that many years in him.

Rafateria

Klopp should be put in jail for that.
Should Mourinho ? What is worse ? Punishing and deciding a player who was disregarding club regulations and disrespecting the manager on camera should be kept apart from the squad, to avoid disruption, until sold, or punishing a player for ... who knows what Schweinsteiger did, do we even know ?

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Milner qualitywise is a longterm solution. Only downside is that he doesn't have that many years in him.
I agree. An upgrade on left back is not necessary for now. Milner is doing a great job there.

A CB with quality to challenge Matip and Lovren should be first priority in january.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I agree. An upgrade on left back is not necessary for now. Milner is doing a great job there.

A CB with quality to challenge Matip and Lovren should be first priority in january.
Lovren, basically.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
This is a relief considering how poor our other options are.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Yeah, pretty unusual for an opposition coach to single out a player after the game and say they're a weakness. "We know they like to play it out from the back, so we wanted to press high to force mistakes" is fine. "Their keeper's shite", not so cool.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Yeah, pretty unusual for an opposition coach to single out a player after the game and say they're a weakness. "We know they like to play it out from the back, so we wanted to press high to force mistakes" is fine. "Their keeper's shite", not so cool.
Did an opposition coach do that to Karius? I don't think Howe said anything, did he?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He didn't, it was Cook who said it was one of their tactics to make sure they put pressure on him.
That's a bit of an over-reaction from Klopp then if he is referring to what Cook said.

Cook was asked if they targeted the goalie and said "I’ve got to be honest, we did. We felt he was under a lot of pressure – obviously, playing for Liverpool you’ve got to be a very strong character. We did target him, we tried to pressure him and get as many shots at him as possible".

If that's "one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life", he's had a pretty sheltered life!

VanGaalEra

That's a bit of an over-reaction from Klopp then if he is referring to what Cook said.

Cook was asked if they targeted the goalie and said "I’ve got to be honest, we did. We felt he was under a lot of pressure – obviously, playing for Liverpool you’ve got to be a very strong character. We did target him, we tried to pressure him and get as many shots at him as possible".

If that's "one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life", he's had a pretty sheltered life!
It's really moaning about nothing, perhaps just trying to distract attention away from Karius.

Liverpool 2:2 West Ham

Triple.Threat

it is odd seeing all the overreaction to Liverpool and how good they really are and how they are PL winning material. To win PL you need a solid keeper and very good defenders.

Luckily they lack all the above.

TheReligion

Abusive
Matip howler and more goalkeeping errors.

Interesting period for Liverpool now as they look far from convincing at either end.