Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

sugar_kane

The biggest compliment Liverpool have had this season was that United game at Anfield.

Mourinho set his team up to not get beat in a fashion I'd not seen from a United side. They played dead after about 65mins with no ambition whatsoever. All so Mourinho could say his "last wonder of the world" comment at the end. United have unquestionably been the best team to visit Anfield this season, but it was a containment job. He really rated the opposition - more than some in here that's for sure.
Unfair I think - we played to win that game, especially in the first half. As you rightly said we dropped off in the last third of the game, but I think that's because we tired out.

Am I right in thinking it's the only game Liverpool haven't scored in at Anfield this season?

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
The biggest compliment Liverpool have had this season was that United game at Anfield.
:lol: You lot are so bitter about this game. From Dumbstar "punching the air when the whistle blew" to this nonsense. If we played you again now with Pogba, Martial, Mhki etc in their current form I'm sure we'd have looked a lot more threatening. That was also the period where Mourinho was dabbling around with Fellaini who won't be anywhere near the starting eleven when we play you again soon.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
:lol: You lot are so bitter about this game. From Dumbstar "punching the air when the whistle blew" to this nonsense. If we played you again now with Pogba, Martial, Mhki etc in their current form I'm sure we'd have looked a lot more threatening. That was also the period where Mourinho was dabbling around with Fellaini who won't be anywhere near the starting eleven when we play you again soon.
It was actually a one and half punch, sort of like Klopp but more vertically. I still remember it like it was yesterday. Of course the difference between 'yesterday' and now being the chasm in points, goal difference and league positions. But we won't go into "stats" as they're not my forte. ;)

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Bitter? My post praises United. They were very good.

I'd have preferred a more threatening United - would've been a more open game. Being the best attack in the league I'd bank on Liverpool if United wanted to go toe-to-toe. Far more deadly across the team than United.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Unfair I think - we played to win that game, especially in the first half. As you rightly said we dropped off in the last third of the game, but I think that's because we tired out.

Am I right in thinking it's the only game Liverpool haven't scored in at Anfield this season?
Yes correct

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Bitter? My post praises United. They were very good.

I'd have preferred a more threatening United - would've been a more open game. Being the best attack in the league I'd bank on Liverpool if United wanted to go toe-to-toe. Far more deadly across the team than United.
You'd have smashed us. Our attacking players just weren't in good form. We were forced to play open against Chelsea after the massive feck up after 20 seconds and got annihilated.

RedCurry

Not saying Klopp is a one trick pony kinda manager but any team that presses Liverpool harder than Liverpool usually seems to be the better team. We did it and recently Everton looked a much better side for the first half when they pressed Liverpool.

Teams need to come out and not be afraid to do that more often.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Not saying Klopp is a one trick pony kinda manager but any team that presses Liverpool harder than Liverpool usually seems to be the better team. We did it and recently Everton looked a much better side for the first half when they pressed Liverpool.

I for one completely agree and I wish they would.

The United

Or any team can have some bad games here and there.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
The highlights for this game lasted less than a minute.
The goal, Silva's shot and Aguero's (?) shot.
LvG would have been proud.

Rafateria

It was actually a one and half punch, sort of like Klopp but more vertically. I still remember it like it was yesterday. Of course the difference between 'yesterday' and now being the chasm in points, goal difference and league positions. But we won't go into "stats" as they're not my forte. ;)
I'm still surprised at your delight though. I was very disappointed. If that match had gone on for another 2 hours United were never going to score so it was just about finding a way past the double decker.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Swansea did it too. It works for around 30 minutes before we take over. Only Swansea actually managed to get a lead from it, and they still lost.

It's a viable tactic though.

Rafateria

Yep. As others have said, it has been a good tactic to employ against us. However no team has yet been able to maintain the pressure and it inevitably leads to exhaustion and Liverpool then taking control of the match (whether they then win it or not is another question entirely).

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Yep. As others have said, it has been a good tactic to employ against us. However no team has yet been able to maintain the pressure and it inevitably leads to exhaustion and Liverpool then taking control of the match (whether they then win it or not is another question entirely).
You could see after 20 minutes of the Everton match that the Everton players were sucking air in through their arseholes because of the effort they were putting in. United couldn't maintain the pressing in the 2nd half & were nowhere near as effective. People still don't get our style of play & the fact we don't actually press full on for 90 minutes. It's all controlled & manipulated rather than chasing everything that moves. Still, I suppose it's testament to the impact Klopp's had that managers feel they have change their style of play in order to tackle Liverpool.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
It's definitely an advantage. Not the only difference as I think the top two are genuinely better but enough to make a difference of a few points.

And it's not as if we play nobodies in the EL. Zlatan at 35 and Pogba who has been playing football non stop for ages play in our EL games too.
If United continue the upward trend with their performances by the time the next phase of EL games come around I can all but guarantee that no matter who you play in the competition it won't affect your PL performances. You'll obviously still drop unexpected points from time to time - we all do - but it'll be because of missed chances & the opposition goalkeeper playing a blinder (i.e Burnley) & not because of playing a game in midweek.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Pressing us is extremely effective as the likes of Henderson Clyne Milner Lovren Mignolet arent great with the ball under severe pressure, however as others have alluded to most teams havent spent weeks and weeks training the intense way we do in order to play that way so after 20/30 maybe 60 if they have it in them they're gassed and we pick them off.

Anyways in regards to the Jan window someone who could replicate Mane's attributes would be ideal not just for the immediate present but long-term.

montpelier

They ought not to be tired today. They were mainly standing in their own half during the last 70mins of the City game.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I'm still surprised at your delight though. I was very disappointed. If that match had gone on for another 2 hours United were never going to score so it was just about finding a way past the double decker.
Agreed but with such a tight game all you needed was for a Lingard to go down under a light touch and it was a penalty and 1-0. We'd probably not have scored in 2 hours either with De Gea in goal.

It was a defining moment, Utd finally played like a team in the season then and the max points could have seen them go on an unbeaten run that would have them up there with Chelsea now. At the same time introducing some doubts in our own minds. As it happened not winning continued to upset their rhythm for a while longer and here we are now.

The small margins in football aren't all statistical, sometimes they're intangible but you can taste it or smell it. All IMHO of course.

TheReligion

Abusive
They ought not to be tired today. They were mainly standing in their own half during the last 70mins of the City game.
My thoughts exactly. The bus was well and truly parked in the second half. Found that pretty strange home at Anfield. I guess it's a real tribute to the way Pep plays his football that Klopp had to change his style.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
My thoughts exactly. The bus was well and truly parked in the second half. Found that pretty strange home at Anfield. I guess it's a real tribute to the way Pep plays his football that Klopp had to change his style.
:lol:

It is though. And good to see Klopp being willing to go pragmatic. I've been missing that at times.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If Liverpool look as energetic as ever this afternoon, I want the dope police on their case.
The thing is, they press as a group not as individuals which means you expand lesser energy as you always have everyone covering other spaces close to you while you move toward the ball. Contrast that with teams that have individuals pressing, the player on the ball always has space to kick and run into which means the presser has to then chase after him again. It's a reason why his Dortmund teams did so well.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
After the city game both klopp and Milner said there wasn't a specific plan to sit back against city. Instead it panned out like that because of how poor we were on the ball, losing possession easily and City's ability to keep the ball.

The inclusion of Can instead of Origi could have been interpreted as a more defensive move. But it freed up wijnaldum to get further forward than usual and it obviously paid off.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
For all this talk about how well we're doing, a defeat today could be damaging. We follow it with a trip to Old Trafford and could find ourselves going from title contenders to top four challengers.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Serious question. How do you see Klopp approaching the game at OT now?
I hope more pragmatically than Rodgers, when he obliged Morinho by camping in front of Chelsea's goal in his quest for a draw.

I think Mourinho will come out to play though, at least if we let him and we should. Pick our moments to control the game.

In all honestly, I think it will be a tactical standoff between two sides more focused on neutralising each other than playing ball and the first goal wins it.

cyberman

Win our next 2 and we're 2 points behind them.
Chelsea's run makes everyone else look worse than they are

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Klopp doesn't half like a moan to the refs.

Every single freekick not given, given against or 50/50.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Did Klopp really sarcastically applaud the Sunderland fans? Seemed like it.