Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
What did his 1st XI cost altogether?

He was clearly bullshitting or only a believer until the Coutinho ££££ changed his mind.
Less than both City's and United's.

What do you expect him to do with the Coutinho money? Sit on it? Buy 5 Adam Lallanas?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Would you have been ok if united would have played the kids in the FA Cup back then?
No. I wanted them to play in the FA Cup, it means more to me and most United fans I talk to.. World Club tournament means nothing to me, some artificial thing that FIFA want to make more money.

Worst case scenario, split the first team, the squad members and the reserves and go 50/50 FA Cup and World Club tournament.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
No. I wanted them to play in the FA Cup, it means more to me and most United fans I talk to.. World Club tournament means nothing to me, some artificial thing that FIFA want to make more money.

Worst case scenario, split the first team, the squad members and the reserves and go 50/50 FA Cup and World Club tournament.
Well I agree. I like the FA cup. I didn’t have a problem with Klopp picking kids only because it was Shrewsbury. If it was a bigger team I could see his point but would still would want a more experienced team.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
His point wasn’t specifically about Pogba, though? He was making the wider point with regards to exborbitant fees + his aversion to them, about a year before he blew the world record transfer fee for a defender. A defender who’s now arguably their most important player (similar value/importance of Pogba to United). Even if his point was specifically about Pogba it’s still most certainly wrong. Is he not worth at least the £80/90 million paid?!
Nope.

Don't get me wrong Pogba is worth £90. But he is a talisman of a club not knowing what to spend money on, or how to rebuild.

Vidic was £7 million
Evra was £5.5 million
Chicharito was £6 million
Rafael and Fabio were some stupidly small fee and then nurtured at the club

These are the type of signings that you build a club with. That's not to say you shouldn't buy marquee signings. But you need a decent team to integrate them into in the first place.

hubbuh

Well I agree. I like the FA cup. I didn’t have a problem with Klopp picking kids only because it was Shrewsbury. If it was a bigger team I could see his point but would still would want a more experienced team.
Made a right feckin’ big deal out of it in the process.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Made a right feckin’ big deal out of it in the process.
He answered questions from the media, that's all. He didn't grab a mic and start saying things out of nowhere. The decision to not turn up had already been made with the club's permission. Whatever message he wanted to send to the FA/PL would have been sent even without all this hype from the media, opposition fans and the pundits.

Less than both City's and United's.

What do you expect him to do with the Coutinho money? Sit on it? Buy 5 Adam Lallanas?
The thought of 5 Adam Lallanas pretending to be Van Dijk and Alisson cracked me up! Racoons in a trench coat situation?

hubbuh

Nope.

Don't get me wrong Pogba is worth £90. But he is a talisman of a club not knowing what to spend money on, or how to rebuild.

Vidic was £7 million
Evra was £5.5 million

These are the type of signings that you build a club with. That's not to say you shouldn't buy marquee signings. But you need a decent team to integrate them into in the first place.
But Pogba is a victim (lol) of a club that is poorly ran. Correlation doesn’t = causation etc. We shouldn’t stop signing the world’s best talent because we failed to properly integrate Pogba (and that’s assuming we’re all agreed that he’s been poorly integrated - he’s still our most important player when fit!). Vidic and Evra went into a world class setup with a number of talisman in Ferdinand, VDS, Neville etc. And that was just in defence! In essence we’re in agreement; our hairbrained recruitment strategy has been a complete mess and would benefit from a different a new perspective.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But Pogba is a victim (lol) of a club that is poorly ran. Correlation doesn’t = causation etc. We shouldn’t stop signing the world’s best talent because we failed to properly integrate Pogba (and that’s assuming we’re all agreed that he’s been poorly integrated - he’s still our most important player when fit!). Vidic and Evra went into a world class setup with a number of talisman in Ferdinand, VDS, Neville etc. And that was just in defence! In essence we’re in agreement; our hairbrained recruitment strategy has been a complete mess and would benefit from a different a new perspective.
Out of curiosity do you think ADM was a mess of a transfer? And if so would you agree Pogba is too?

hubbuh

Out of curiosity do you think ADM was a mess of a transfer? And if so would you agree Pogba is too?
ADM a resounding yes. Is there an argument for the opposite? He didn’t want to be here!
Pogba no. One of the first names on the team sheet when fit. Joined us twice, obviously has an affinity for the club, huge market value.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
ADM a resounding yes. Is there an argument for the opposite? He didn’t want to be here!
Pogba no. One of the first names on the team sheet when fit. Joined us twice, obviously has an affinity for the club, huge market value.
Can you jog my memory? Did Pogba reject Real or was it that they never bid? ADM came here because only we paid the money. We were also the only ones in that window who offered the required money for ADM.

Why is one so slated and the other not? I get Pogba likes Manchester because he used to be here but why was ADM such a mess when he joined? He didn't even get a chance under another manager. Even Pogba got dropped and fell out with Jose. Why is ADM being dropped different?

Edit apologies this isn't the best thread. Happy to drop it.

hubbuh

Can you jog my memory? Did Pogba reject Real or was it that they never bid? ADM came here because only we paid the money. We were also the only ones in that window who offered the required money for ADM.

Why is one so slated and the other not? I get Pogba likes Manchester because he used to be here but why was ADM such a mess when he joined? He didn't even get a chance under another manager. Even Pogba got dropped and fell out with Jose. Why is ADM being dropped different?

Edit apologies this isn't the best thread. Happy to drop it.
You genuinely don’t see the difference between Di Maria or Pogba?! Mental.

Hawks2008

Not sure what the fuss is about, winning the FA cup holds no weight anyway. If he wants to prioritise other competitions that's their business.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Not sure what the fuss is about, winning the FA cup holds no weight anyway. If he wants to prioritise other competitions that's their business.
He seems to have disrespected the love that many Utd fans have for this beautiful British trophy. Some other poster even said he disrespected Everton by putting out a weak team against them in the previous round. Which Liverpool won...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He seems to have disrespected the love that many Utd fans have for this beautiful British trophy. Some other poster even said he disrespected Everton by putting out a weak team against them in the previous round. Which Liverpool won...
He showed utter contempt for one of the oldest club competitions in the world.

Playing a weaker team is not something new. Saying you can’t be bothered to turn up is a completely unneeded step. Is he worried he’s going to be fatigued from standing on the touch line?

hubbuh

To be fair. Everyone except Klopp made a big deal of it. The media thrive on such stuff.
No one would have batted an eyelid if he’d played the youth plus a senior player or two. Instead he immediately made a statement post game about how he won’t be going to the replay (okay Jürgen), and that it’ll be played by the youth team. He was making a point about scheduling, it came across as a bit dramatic and disrespectful to Shrewsbury.

ariveded

Klopp blatantly misused his fame and power. He is in a good moment so he successfully made excuses to let go of his responsibilities. There were other PL teams also having replays, their managers didnt have such luxury.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
He showed utter contempt for one of the oldest club competitions in the world.

Playing a weaker team is not something new.
Why isn't this utter contempt? Is it just because many clubs do it? It's still one of the oldest club competitions in the world....

Is he worried he’s going to be fatigued from standing on the touch line?
Again, he clearly said that the u23 team needed to play with their usual manager who knows and understands them. He specifically addressed this question and said you can't ask Capello to suddenly manage the Italian team for one game just because he's a good manager. Hell, put Pep in charge of Liverpool for one match this season suddenly and opposition teams will like their chances much more.

So if he turned up, he would have only sat in the stands. But he didn't. And that hurt your feelings? Okay.

No one would have batted an eyelid if he’d played the youth plus a senior player or two.
Disagree. Eyelids would have been batted. Someone said in this thread not too long ago that he disrespected Everton with his selection. Plus Klopp was at the match btw.

Instead he immediately made a statement post game about how he won’t be going to the replay (okay Jürgen), and that it’ll be played by the youth team. He was making a point about scheduling, it came across as a bit dramatic and disrespectful to Shrewsbury.
He answered questions from the media. And find me some Shrewsbury fans or team management folks who found this disrespectful and they would rather Klopp played a strong team in the first leg. If they were fine with that team and the improved prospect of a replay then they can't moan about the team selection in the replay or Klopp not turning up.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Again, he clearly said that the u23 team needed to play with their usual manager who knows and understands them. He specifically addressed this question and said you can't ask Capello to suddenly manage the Italian team for one game just because he's a good manager. Hell, put Pep in charge of Liverpool for one match this season suddenly and opposition teams will like their chances much more.

So if he turned up, he would have only sat in the stands. But he didn't. And that hurt your feelings? Okay.
What an utter bollocks excuse. Klopp is the Liverpool first team coach and this was a Liverpool first team match and if they're gaining first team experience then working under the first team coach is vital.

This actually makes it worse if anything because he's admitting that in Liverpool's mind they have entered the U23 side into the competition this year.

Lets see if that's still the case when you play Chelsea or get through to Wembley. I have a sneaky suspicion that Klopp will be on the touchline with a very strong first XI on the field then.

Siorac

Nope.

Vidic was £7 million
Evra was £5.5 million

If anything, it's often the other way around. Javier Hernandez certainly wasn't part of the foundation of the club: he's the sort of cheap punt that you can get away with when you have a strong, stable team.

The famous class of '92 could only emerge because they were supported by a team comprised of quite a few "marquee" signings. Obviously the fees we paid for the likes of Hughes, Pallister, Bruce, Ince or Robson seem paltry now but back then these were all major signings for serious money.

Similarly, back when Vidic and Evra arrived, we already had a core: Rio Ferdinand, the most expensive defender of all time; Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney, both signed for the then highest fee any British club ever paid for a teenager.

Kodi

Supports
Liverpool
No one would have batted an eyelid if he’d played the youth plus a senior player or two. Instead he immediately made a statement post game about how he won’t be going to the replay (okay Jürgen), and that it’ll be played by the youth team. He was making a point about scheduling, it came across as a bit dramatic and disrespectful to Shrewsbury.
I understand your point. Fair enough. I can buy into the direspectful bit. On the other hand though. In context. Was he direspectful to Shrewsbury directly or was it an unintended consequence of honouring the already-made decision that all senior players are to be rested, as per the winter break and as scheduled by the FA?

I went into the FA.com website, albeit all the rounds are listed, there's no mention of replay dates. I don't know if Klopp was aware that 4th round rematches were penciled for that week. Or, Is that decision only made after the matches.

If we cast our minds back several weeks. Klopp fielded the same kids against Aston Villa. Yet nobody is saying he was direspectful to Aston Villa. Yet, if we are to use the same principle, one should argue that he was way more direspectful to the premier League Aston villa - but that's not the case.

In both instances, Klopp was to make a decision that suited Liverpool. In both instances, it was a scheduling issue.

I dunno. Perhaps the scheduling shenanigans needs more focus and outcry instead of gunning one manager, unfairly imo, for sticking to what had already been decided.

That's just my opinion.

Newstar

Supports
Liverpool
Is my memory playing tricks on me or didn't Ferguson once miss a league match to attend his son's wedding, which - amazingly - was planned during the football season ?
Apparently he also missed a match to scout De Gea?! I am not sure how true this is though, I just stumbled across it while searching for this wedding thing! ha

montpelier

To be fair. Everyone except Klopp made a big deal of it. The media thrive on such stuff.
Liverpool and Klopp were loving it for the media coverage. Kids at home vs Shrewsbury was a dream, lovely for plenty of hype on social media.

Loads better than them getting humped 5 zip at Villa.

Suedesi

I honestly don't understand the furore about the FA Cup. Sounds like a media driven bs campaign. Jurgen can play whoever he wants and he can phone it in from Dubai as far as I'm concerned. He doesn't have to answer to the media in England or to some no name little Englander second division club President - the only person Jurgen has got to answer to probably has a 617 area code, and that's that.

montpelier

They've treated Shrewsbury like shit, instigated by Jurgen as soon as the final whistle went in the 1st game. Its all been all about the Liverpool.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
They've treated Shrewsbury like shit, instigated by Jurgen as soon as the final whistle went in the 1st game. Its all been all about the Liverpool.
Allowing the first team to take time off for what they had all thought was vacation time anyway (and thus providing Shrewsbury a golden opportunity to progress) is shitting on them?

Posh Red

Allowing the first team to take time off for what they had all thought was vacation time anyway (and thus providing Shrewsbury a golden opportunity to progress) is shitting on them?
I agree with resting the first team - completely within his rights to do that. Do you not think he should have been present though? That’s the only bit that bugs me somewhat.

Rama The Raid

I agree with resting the first team - completely within his rights to do that. Do you not think he should have been present though? That’s the only bit that bugs me somewhat.
It's a PL break to be fair. The organizer must assume that all PL players and staff are all on their holiday. No games should be obligated to them. It'd be strange if they treat the PL players as officially on holiday but the PL staff is not.

The rule said "strongest team available". So since it's within the PL break it means the PL players and staff are not available. What's the strongest team available? Obviously U-23 team. So U-23 players and staff took care of the fixture.

It makes sense actually. One thing for sure is that he can't do it for the Chelsea game as it's way outside the PL break.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
An argument could be made that the u23’s would have loved it if he had had been there on the sidelines, yeah. But he seems like the kind of guy who would make it clear to the team that him being absent wasn’t to shit on them, whatever the reason was. Which could of course also just be him needing a break.

Posh Red

It just seems like petty point scoring to me. The guy has one of the best jobs in the world and refused to turn up to what could be one of Shrewsbury’s biggest games in recent history, mainly to prove a point.

montpelier

Shrews chairman persistently confused Rush and Dalglish allegedly. Telling Kenny he was his favourite Welsh player and asking why he shaved his moustache off. Also complained a lot about LFC costing them money.

Liverpool not impressed, apparently.

Disrespect probably, innit?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Shrews chairman persistently confused Rush and Dalglish allegedly. Telling Kenny he was his favourite Welsh player and asking why he shaved his moustache off. Also complained a lot about LFC costing them money.

Either dumb or bitter. If he was just stupid then Klopp should have pretended the first team and him actually showed up instead of the kids. Sounds like this Shrews chairman might have believed him.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool

Well, attempted disrespect at least. Especially if it continued for a while as it seemed to have. But it'll be strange if anyone actually bothered to take offence. Just mild annoyance I guess. If anything, they should've just played along. No no, Kenny was the one in goal with the squiggly legs.

KekiZeki

Pains me to say this, but Klopp is there to stay for a long time. Rarely you see a team and a manager click so well, there is no reason for him to go. He's too intense to take Germany job, he needs football more often than every 3 months. He also likes to pick his players and in national team they tend to be picked for you. Maybe when he is close to retirment and wants to slow down a bit, but that's not happening any time soon.

We can't really look and hope Liverpool loses Klopp, out of our hands. We need to support our own manager as he is making strides to improve our squad.