Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The system relies on an imperious ball playing centre back, and Hendo and Fabinho in the midfield.
Taking those out of their positions has a big effect on the rest.

But the front players have definitely lost an edge either way.
A system that relies solely on a ball-playing centre-back to provide an attacking threat has to be flawed, no?

I get they're missing VVD - he is (or was) the best CB on the planet - but I don't see how one player picking up an injury can impact a team so much that they go from league champions to mid-table wannabees overnight.

They were showing signs of decline towards the end of last season don't forget. Not to mention losing 7-2 to Villa in VVD's last game.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It's always amazing how almost invincible teams can drop off so quickly.

Chelsea in the mid 2000s, United after the European 2008 win, City last year.

But this is probably the biggest drop off of the lot so far. More stuff going on in fairness, but still shocking.
We’re not comparable to any of those sides though. This side that won the league last season was very good but not in the top five sides during the PL era. United 07-09 & 99, Arsenal’s invincible side, Pep’s centurions, Mourinho’s 05-06 side. All of them were much better sides than ours from last season.

I think the quick turn around between seasons has hurt us as well. We’re so high energy under Klopp that it probably damaged the players not having a summer to reload. That’d explain why we were ok to start with then started having a meltdown midway through the season.

Sweet Square

But this is probably the biggest drop off of the lot so far. More stuff going on in fairness, but still shocking.
?

The season after we won the league again and made another european final

Charlie Foley

?

And then lost the league by a point the next year and would have made another CL final but for Rooney’s injury. Won the league the next year and another European final. Lost the league on goal difference the next year: won the league the year after that!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A system that relies solely on a ball-playing centre-back to provide an attacking threat has to be flawed, no?

I get they're missing VVD - he is (or was) the best CB on the planet - but I don't see how one player picking up an injury can impact a team so much that they go from league champions to mid-table wannabees overnight.

They were showing signs of decline towards the end of last season don't forget. Not to mention losing 7-2 to Villa in VVD's last game.
I'm enjoying their demise and certainly don't want to defend them, but it's three players really, as two key centre mids to how they play have had to go into defence.
They're not quick, or anywhere near as good, so the lincense of the full backs, who can usually storm forward has gone massively down.
And because of this, the two wide forwards have way less room as there's fewer to pick up, or chances from frequent balls coming in.

It's a whole house of cards.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We’re not comparable to any of those sides though. This side that won the league last season was very good but not in the top five sides during the PL era. United 07-09 & 99, Arsenal’s invincible side, Pep’s centurions, Mourinho’s 05-06 side. All of them were much better sides than ours from last season.

I think the quick turn around between seasons has hurt us as well. We’re so high energy under Klopp that it probably damaged the players not having a summer to reload. That’d explain why we were ok to start with then started having a meltdown midway through the season.
Remember you had the highest points of all of these teams, so relative against the other teams in the league you were better than all of those teams versus others.
So that makes the drop off even bigger.

But the full on effort version and no rabid Anfield crowd has certainly impacted in a huge way. As well as having to put in 20 centre back combos, and putting out some absolute chumps at centre back.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
?

I should say the gradual dip off in quality of the team in the years after.
Ronaldo out, Valencia/Owen in etc.
Just about holding it in place through Fergie's genius.

Josh 76

I'm enjoying their demise and certainly don't want to defend them, but it's three players really, as two key centre mids to how they play have had to go into defence.
They're not quick, or anywhere near as good, so the lincense of the full backs, who can usually storm forward has gone massively down.
And because of this, the two wide forwards have way less room as there's fewer to pick up, or chances from frequent balls coming in.

It's a whole house of cards.
If Henderson is their best CM player, why play him at the back. Surely they have other options to cover the CB positions and play Henderson back in midfield.

(The two young lads and the two new signings. )

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If Henderson is their best CM player, why play him at the back. Surely they have other options to cover the CB positions and play Henderson back in midfield.

(The two young lads and the two new signings. )
The defenders are gubbins, and a 25 year old from the championship is a plain pointless move.

Sweet Square

And then lost the league by a point the next year and would have made another CL final but for Rooney’s injury. Won the league the next year and another European final. Lost the league on goal difference the next year: won the league the year after that!
It's arguable that team really only fell apart after Fergie left and most of the team was nearing retirement age.

I should say the gradual dip off in quality of the team in the years after.
Ronaldo out, Valencia/Owen in etc.
Just about holding it in place through Fergie's genius.
Oh fair enough.

Glorio

Everton can be clinical though can't they? Against us, 3 chances, 3 goals. That's impressive

Josh 76

Yeah I agree. He‘ll see how next season goes and call it a day if it goes south. I think the club are expecting him to go by 2023 anyway. He’s already set a date in his mind Imo.
Think he will wait until the summer and see how much money he is given for transfers.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He’s earned the right to try and make it right though. This sacking managers culture in modern football does my head in. Klopp’s delivered our first league title in three decades and a CL as well. Now people are asking if he should be sacked? Who comes in? What’s the long term goal if we do sack him?

I‘m not worried about replacing players who might go. For the most part the club has got it right in the transfer market since Klopp has been there.

I’m a bit worried about the average age of the squad if I’m being honest. Any players we sign in the summer need to be younger than Thiago’s profile. I’m expecting one of Salah or Mane to go regardless of where we end up.
Replacing the likes of Salah and Mane with players of equal ability is a near-impossibility for Liverpool. They're both £100 million players in today's market, probably above that figure if we're honest. Liverpool don't have the funds at hand to buy those sort of players.

Didn't Klopp kick up a stink earlier in the season because the owners refused to provide him with enough funds to strengthen the team last summer?

GoldanoGraham

It’s called Complacency.......

when so much smoke is blown up your arse by ex player tv pundits and general fanboys you start to believe your own hype - chat like dominating the league for years blah de blah is just fantasy......

reality is you bust your arse to get to the top and then struggle to keep the same level. Injuries haven’t helped but unlike Fergie used to do Klopp needed to shake that team up a bit....

think now a few of those players (like Salah) will be thinking of a change - theyve won the PL and CL so maybe time to move on....and thus the cycle ends......

GMoore23

We won the league and were champions league finalist's the following season :houllier: :houllier:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Replacing the likes of Salah and Mane with players of equal ability is a near-impossibility for Liverpool. They're both £100 million players in today's market, probably above that figure if we're honest. Liverpool don't have the funds at hand to buy those sort of players.

Didn't Klopp kick up a stink earlier in the season because the owners refused to provide him with enough funds to strengthen the team last summer?
But we signed them from clubs when they weren’t world class players. Apart from Alisson and Thiago, Klopp has lifted his best signings from a mid-tier level to ridiculous heights. He could easily sell Salah and sign a £30 million replacement who turns out to be excellent. There’s always a risk there but Klopp’s record with player development speaks for itself.

He did get backed in the summer. He signed three players and two for big money. Kota was working out really well prior to injury. I think he’s due back soon which might help. Firmino is rubbish in front of goal.

NoLogo

Surely the board will look at the sudden drop in performances and draw comparisons to Klopp's Dortmund side.

This is more than a slump. The players look knackered, devoid of ideas and before long will start losing faith in Klopp's system. Plus, they don't have the funds to replace superstars like Salah and Mane.
If there is one big weakness with Klopp as a manager imo, it's that he too much depends on the same players again and again. If he could learn to use more than just 14-15 players and give his team the needed rest he might be able to avoid the performance drop after a couple of years.

Maureen-yo

You’re making me feel like everything’s going to be ok mate.

I don’t think we’re getting top four now.
I think you will, still a lot of games and football to play yet. If Henderson injury is bad it will be a tough ask though.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
They've had injuries obviously but they also made the decision to let Lovren go and are purposely playing midfielders at CB rather than playing the younger back ups. They maybe got complacent after having such a good run of no injuries to key players.

Their luck in close games has run also ran out. Last season Richarlison misses that early chance and they scrape a win instead without being convincing.