Jürgen Klopp Watch

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
People actually getting angry at him for turning a phrase like that are absolute bollockses.

Also, he should be forced to retire immediately and never return to the game.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Klopp is completely out of line. Sure, we all get the inconvenience, but he shouldn't be looking down on a major international tournament like this.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Klopp is completely out of line. Sure, we all get the inconvenience, but he shouldn't be looking down on a major international tournament like this.
It's a total non-issue. The phrasing he used is a very common way to lightheartedly correct people who have forgotten something important.

Slooj

Firstly, it was hardly a question and more a judgement. Secondly, what Klopp said was idiomatically fine. Very common parlance when referring to a significant event.

The little matter Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster
Yes except that's not at all what he said.

He clearly says "there's a little tournament in Africa". What you're suggesting he said is "there's the small matter of a tournament in Africa". Contextually very different.

I get that some of the reactions are perhaps over the top but at the same time not sure why people are so adamant to defend Klopp.

The fact that he didn't have the humility to even offer an apology along the lines of "im sorry if anyone has interpreted my comments in that manner, but this is actually what I meant...." is testament to the man's arrogance.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He clearly meant in a sarcastic tone, but the sarcasm in and of itself is downplaying the tournament. Like the journalist said, you wouldn't say a phrase like that (sarcastic or not) about the Euros.

BerryBerryShrew

Yes, ban him as a Liverpool manager this season, and let him take charge as an interim at Manchester United. :wenger:
You'd basically be punishing him twice with that!

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He clearly meant in a sarcastic tone, but the sarcasm in and of itself is downplaying the tournament. Like the journalist said, you wouldn't say a phrase like that (sarcastic or not) about the Euros.
Disagree. The bigger the tournament, the more obvious the irony. If he'd said, "then there's a little tournament called the World Cup to think about" it'd be extremely obvious that he was being facetious. Assuming sarcasm was his intention, this seems like a total non-story.

adexkola

Arsenal supporter
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Much ado about nothing, and I say that as an AFCON fan.

All managers at club level wish that international events would disappear into the ether. Unfortunately for them, international football is here to stay.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool

He clearly says "there's a little tournament in Africa". What you're suggesting he said is "there's the small matter of a tournament in Africa". Contextually very different.

I get that some of the reactions are perhaps over the top but at the same time not sure why people are so adamant to defend Klopp.

The fact that he didn't have the humility to even offer an apology along the lines of "im sorry if anyone has interpreted my comments in that manner, but this is actually what I meant...." is testament to the man's arrogance.
This is exquisite.

lsd

The Oracle

It's an International tournament that's not the World Cup so it's by defination pointless and unimportant