Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Liverpool played better. We packed a bus. This doesn't need analysis. I don't know if it's still possible but Mourinho needs to just set up a team to go out and play. Playing like underdogs with our budget is unacceptable.
completely agree!

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Are you serious? You honestly believe that if United went toe to toe with us at Anfield you would hammer us? Absolutely no chance. You have a superior defence and midfield and the GK but we rarely have an opponent outclass us or wipe the floor with us. When we lose it’s usually due to a counter attack goal or from a set piece. Only City have outclassed us. If United had opened up and attacked it would of given us more space so I highly doubt you would of wiped the floor with us.
So basically, you are saying José got his tactics exactly right and you had no response?

FujiVice

This will always be Klopp's "Liverpool Way" for me. Winning feck all and doing a lap of honour at home to West Brom.

JustinC00

Liverpool played better. We packed a bus. This doesn't need analysis. I don't know if it's still possible but Mourinho needs to just set up a team to go out and play. Playing like underdogs with our budget is unacceptable.
Guess you missed most of the other games this season?

It's also harder to do when you are missing 2 of your top 3 CM and 1 of your first choice CB and your starting LW isn't 100%

Likely a different setup if Pogba or Fellaini and Bailly were available and Rashford was fit enough to start, which would have allowed him to bring Martial on in the 2nd half like he has been.

Fridge chutney

Very disingenuous comments by Klopp. He needs to be introspective. Why couldn't he break us down? Why couldn't he take advantage of our midfield hole? Why did his team resort to diving and 30 yard shots?

Because he isn't good enough, plain and simple.

Fridge chutney

Guess you missed most of the other games this season?

It's also harder to do when you are missing 2 of your top 3 CM and 1 of your first choice CB and your starting LW isn't 100%

Likely a different setup if Pogba or Fellaini and Bailly were available and Rashford was fit enough to start, which would have allowed him to bring Martial on in the 2nd half like he has been.
Not only that, Valebcia and Rashford were carrying knocks. We really were weakened, and on top of that we should be criticizing our players, not Mourinho. I thought we played shite. But Liverpool still couldn't beat us :lol:

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
I can't see any other top 6 side taking 3 points at Anfield. The best the can manage is 1. Jose has got what he could, especially with the lack of some key players.

Klopp has dropped 2 points, Utd were there for the taking but he was unwilling to go for it.

Both managers cagey in different ways.

AndyJ1985

Mourinho does what he's paid to do; build a team and set it up to get results to maximise the chances of winning trophies. That's what he does, its what he's always done, and it's what's made him one of the most successful managers in football. To expect him to suddenly change his ways and go gung ho just to please a few muppets on a forum is naive at best. And frankly given the fact he's already won two trophies and we're currently sat in 2nd, I don't see why he needs to change.

Would you rather we played like Liverpool and won feck all?

James Peril

To semi-quote a few legends in the game, «you don’t score goals when the ball is in midfield». What is funny is that Klopp and many LFC-fans believe they dominated the game yesterday and played wonderful football like they always do. They didn’t - they had no plan B and created one chance after a corner and another from a long ball.

Liverpool are self-proclaimed attacking wizards, doesn’t really help though. They are 8th and have a GD of +1. United are 2nd with a GD of +19. But jog on Klopp, you’ve got this!

Liverpool and Klopp are painfully predictable, Klopp is predictable in his inability to change his ways - it’s status quo and they will not win the league. Again.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I can't see any other top 6 side taking 3 points at Anfield. The best the can manage is 1. Jose has got what he could, especially with the lack of some key players.

Klopp has dropped 2 points, Utd were there for the taking but he was unwilling to go for it.

Agreed. Spurs and City have a really bad record at Anfield.

Spurs have only 2 wins in the PL era at Anfield and 6 win in their league history.
City have only 2 wins at Anfield since 1953. Their last win was in 2003. So even post the big investment they are poor at Anfield.
Chelsea have a better record lately. 2 wins 2 draws in their last 4 games at Anfield.

GazTheLegend

I actually thought we were a bit more cautious in the first half. At the start of the second half we looked more lively and like we might find a way through. Reading the match thread it seemed like a few of you were more concerned by the second half and the way the game was going after HT.
Agree.

We matched you to a point in the first half but second half we just completely conceded the ball.

I do genuinely believe Mourinho when he says he was waiting for Klopp to change your midfield up and he would have tried to capitalise but there’s no doubt he’ll be incredibly happy with a point as that’s pretty much all he wanted and that’s what we set up for.

And this might be unpopular but I strongly feel that with Pogba and Fellaini both playing it would have made no difference at all either to the way we played or the final result. Mourinho would have set his team out in exactly the same way - perhaps dropping Mikhataryan and Martial for the two, and then tried to go direct all game.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Klopp is the king of 'negative' tactics. He packs the midfield and presses like mad. Most managers leave their attackers further up the pitch but Klopp insists on them pressing the ball as well.

When was the last time a big game with Klopp was a tactically sophisticated event? It devolves into a turnover of possession every few minutes and fighting over second balls. Klopp's whole style of play revolves around disrupting the flow of the game and counter attacking.

Liverpool cannot break down packed defenses; which is a hall mark of negative teams. They rely on the other team committing numbers forward.
You would be a great politician.

poleglass red

I'd see City taking all 3 and quite handily as well tbh

Theonas

Scout
Mourinho does what he's paid to do; build a team and set it up to get results to maximise the chances of winning trophies. That's what he does, its what he's always done, and it's what's made him one of the most successful managers in football. To expect him to suddenly change his ways and go gung ho just to please a few muppets on a forum is naive at best. And frankly given the fact he's already won two trophies and we're currently sat in 2nd, I don't see why he needs to change.

Naïve? Someone should tell Barcelona and Real fans how stupidly naïve they are. Only Mourinho has cracked the code that a team has a choice between winning and going out to play. None of the other footballing people has caught on yet, the idiots ...

Theonas

Scout
The first part of the statement is ridiculous. I think for Klopp to suggest that it's not OK for Liverpool to play certain way, must have missed watching Liverpool under Houiller and Rafa. Any club that claims they have a way of playing or not playing are really just being delusional. It usually simply means going back to whatever period of success they've had and assuming that was the way always. Liverpool under those two managers were no better than a Mourinho team in terms of their approach. Only difference is they didn't win as much. Klopp understands the Liverpool fans though, he knows what to say to play on their tribal based emotions. The second part of his assertion that it's okey for us to play like that is apparently and unfortunately true. I can't imagine any other top club not criticizing their team if they set out like that. You would get the sack at the Spanish giants for setting out like that, or at least will get under some intense pressure from your fans.

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
he's a twit. maybe if he'd played a bit more like us, he wouldn't have got his arse handed to him by City last month

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Some United fans would, apparently :houllier:

Whatever the reason, it won’t do. Forget the ‘United Way’ rubbish, this was simply beneath the standards of an elite club. Frankly, this author would rather win nothing than succeed playing this way.

https://talksport.com/football/manc...cuse-surrender-against-liverpool-171016258403

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"Funny, how? Like I'm a clown?"

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They play such heroic, noble football, that they've won 1 game in 8.

1 game in 8! That's an incredible run.
Or were those mean opponents doing stuff like defending well?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
They play such heroic, noble football, that they've won 1 game in 8.

1 game in 8! That's an incredible run.
Or were those mean opponents doing stuff like defending well?
You aren't supposed to defend. You just stand back and watch on admiringly as the ball hits the back of the net.

Solver

Disappointing performance but very good result under the circumstances

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You aren't supposed to defend. You just stand back and watch on admiringly as the ball hits the back of the net.
A guy at work reckoned that if Pool had scored, we'd have definitely equalised, as we'd have had to have come out.

I'd be more inclined to think it'd have gone the way of that Chelsea game where the gameplan was out the window 1 min in and we got tonked.

ZAGREB RED

I think Klopp is taking the opportunity to divert attention away from his own team's deficiencies. Even Jamie Redknapp pointed out that Klopp showed no real ambition to overcome United's tactics and he settled for a draw almost as much as Mourinho, he took no risks and was just as concerned about losing as Jose was.
Anyway, how could a team with such a mediocre goalkeeper and back four with Jordan Henderson in front of them try to park the bus ? They would be incapable of defending the way United did on Saturday, they don't have the players.

Distracted Steward

Ferguson could be defensive, same as benitez, but not like this. I don't know of any top manager who would approach a game like this where defending is the only strategy on the table.
I don't recall Ferguson doing it particularly well. Balanced, maybe. Defensive, I struggle to think of many big results he got that way.

AshRK

When Rodgers was sacked he had 12 points from 8 games, Klopp has 13 from 8. I don't understand how he is getting so much of a free pass from Liverpool fans. If he was our manager, media and rival fans would have bashed him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
When Rodgers was sacked he had 12 points from 8 games, Klopp has 13 from 8. I don't understand how he is getting so much of a free pass from Liverpool fans. If he was our manager, media and rival fans would have bashed him.
Because he is charismatic and funny. Brendan only had very white teeth.

Peanut Butter

Because he shows PASHUN!

And the fact that he did win a German league title. He can point to that where as Rodgers was just this strange, small blobfish from some fictional Northern Irish village.

AshRK

Because he is charismatic and funny. Brendan only had very white teeth.
Because he shows PASHUN!

And the fact that he did win a German league title. He can point to that where as Rodgers was just this strange, small blobfish from some fictional Northern Irish village.
49% win rate is pretty average. Yes he does not spend like Pep or Jose but still that win ratio is pretty mediocre. Even Moyes after just spending 30 odd million had 52 percent record. Not saying Klopp is worse than Moyes, no way but still Liverpool fans are giving this guy a free ride.

Peanut Butter

49% win rate is pretty average. Yes he does not spend like Pep or Jose but still that win ratio is pretty mediocre. Even Moyes after just spending 30 odd million had 52 percent record. Not saying Klopp is worse than Moyes, no way but still Liverpool fans are giving this guy a free ride.
Liverpool fans put managers on a pedestal - they become mythical creatures that are better in their minds than in reality.

Inter Yer Nan

Liverpool fans put managers on a pedestal - they become mythical creatures that are better in their minds than in reality.
Yeah, it's really bizarre. The Klopp one is strange. It's almost like he's still in that honeymoon period there and facts don't matter. I think a lot of them were so happy that a manager of Klopp's standard would choose them but I think ultimately he's proven to have met his level there. He's a great salesman though he's got them still convinced he's the best manager in the game and has even bought himself perhaps another season with the Keita signing.

I wonder when is the point where he will have to truly prove himself? My guess is he'll get a free ride this season but if next season they still look like this I think the knives will be out.