Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Nico Williams and Curtis Jones both look like players Klopp is trying to push into the first team. Nico's Welsh though (not scouse) and has TAA ahead of him, so will probably find it tough to get a look in.

He's naive if he thinks he can win the league using our academy. It's difficult for players coming through that route to make it at the highest level. Trent is a rare occurrence. United's academy produces lots of talent but how many of those players are good enough to compete in sides hoping to push for a title or a European Cup? Rashford's done well and Greenwood looks like a hell of a talent but if United start competing for title's again it'll because of signings like Fernandes imo, rather than academy products.

In a world with City's and Chelsea's you can't really hope to win with academy products.
You are right but Klopp knows well that he won't win anything if he just plays local players. But to focus more on the academy is never a bad thing, and I'm very proud to see players like Rashford and Greenwood coming through

romufc

When you go through the title winners of the last 10 years, how many had academy products as prominent players in their line up? We've got TAA but that's it, and as good as he is Alisson & Van Dijk were both far more important. Salah & Mane too. City's prominent players have been Aguero, Silva, Kompany, Yaya Toure and Fernandinho.
That is because the teams winning it are not really known to promote youth as much.

City want to promote youth but their win it now attitude does not help.

Liverpool, I am afraid do not have the quality, or they would have got a chance.

We are not seeing a group of very young talented players coming through the academies, not just Manutd but across the country.

It is up to the managers to bleed the youngsters in. This is a key reason Arteta, Lampard and Ole have the job, to encourage youth to play more.

Ofcourse they will be inconsistent, but what they will get is patience from fans.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
That is because the teams winning it are not really known to promote youth as much.

City want to promote youth but their win it now attitude does not help.

Liverpool, I am afraid do not have the quality, or they would have got a chance.

We are not seeing a group of very young talented players coming through the academies, not just Manutd but across the country.

It is up to the managers to bleed the youngsters in. This is a key reason Arteta, Lampard and Ole have the job, to encourage youth to play more.

Ofcourse they will be inconsistent, but what they will get is patience from fans.
I'm sure those managers will encourage the young players they have playing for them and get them plenty of game time. But the reality is that it's very hard to win the top trophies nowadays with academy products.

Handré1990

I'm sure those managers will encourage the young players they have playing for them and get them plenty of game time. But the reality is that it's very hard to win the top trophies nowadays with academy products.
Depends on the academy products. That is the only real answer. TAA is very important for you guys, I’ve seen more than enough to be able to make that judgement. Of course some of the best players in the world are more important, doesn’t really back up your point, though. A lot of academy products at the same time will obviously be a problem for a title challenge, but just to use us as an example, Rashford came up one season, McTominay a couple of years after that, Greenwood 3 or 4 after Rashford.

Yes, I am aware we haven’t won a title with this team. I’m just saying your point means nothing without context, imo.

Josh 76

Klopp will never ever come close the class of 92.
If that's his dream. I pity this prick.

Fridge chutney

When you go through the title winners of the last 10 years, how many had academy products as prominent players in their line up? We've got TAA but that's it, and as good as he is Alisson & Van Dijk were both far more important. Salah & Mane too. City's prominent players have been Aguero, Silva, Kompany, Yaya Toure and Fernandinho.
We're talking about United though, not City and Liverpool. My point is that United have been at their best when they have both: a strong academy presence and very adept signings. We have that potential now with Greenwood and Rashford in the starting 11 (and Pogba, who sorta counts as both). And our u18 class is very strong. In a recessionary cash-strapped environment, I think this will be even more important, including for Liverpool. Anyway I'm diverting the thread.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
In a couple of seasons time we are going to be laughing at him for saying this as he fails to promote a single player from their academy. Clearly hurting him that the talk of Liverpool’s title* has died down and everyone is discussing United’s talented youngsters once again.
Williams in the XI this evening. :angel:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
We're talking about United though, not City and Liverpool. My point is that United have been at their best when they have both: a strong academy presence and very adept signings. We have that potential now with Greenwood and Rashford in the starting 11 (and Pogba, who sorta counts as both). And our u18 class is very strong. In a recessionary cash-strapped environment, I think this will be even more important, including for Liverpool. Anyway I'm diverting the thread.
I think the 'cash-strapped' is the point here, and that's what makes it relevant to Liverpool as well. I would argue that it's not because United have a healthy mix of homegrown and others that the team does well, but because being able to promote top-class youngsters means that there is money left to buy players for other positions. (Case in point: all the money United don't have to spend on buying Rashford and Greenwood can be spent on buying someone like Sancho. Or yet another CB. :nervous: ) If Liverpool again are being reluctant to invest in their team (because of the recession or whatever reason), after spending almost nothing last year either, then it will soon become very necessary for them to start getting more out of their academy.

Agila Dathi

Giggs, Scholes, Lampard...

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Giggs, Scholes, Lampard...
Lampard was signed from West Ham. Giggs & Scholes came through during a different era. Nowadays it’s extremely hard to complete at the top with youth academy products as prominent members of the side.

Leicester’s title win was spearheaded by Kanté, Mahrez & Vardy who were all signed from other clubs.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Basically Liverpool lost its root and sold their souls to satan.

The true Liverpool fans that I know don't support Liverpool anymore. No more academy players is disgusting to some and modern day Liverpool feels like ManCity to them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lampard was signed from West Ham. Giggs & Scholes came through during a different era. Nowadays it’s extremely hard to complete at the top with youth academy products as prominent members of the side.

Leicester’s title win was spearheaded by Kanté, Mahrez & Vardy who were all signed from other clubs.
ManUtd 2012-13 - League games
Evans - 21+2
Welbeck - 13+14
Cleverley - 18+4
Fletcher - 2

This is ignoring the obvious ones like Giggs and Scholes.

I agree it's hard to win titles and at the same time promoting kids from academy, that's why SAF was at different level. He won titles, promoted kids, refreshed squad, loyal to his old players.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Basically Liverpool lost its root and sold their souls to satan.

The true Liverpool fans that I know don't support Liverpool anymore. No more academy players is disgusting to some and modern day Liverpool feels like ManCity to them.
Sold their souls to satan? True Liverpool fans don’t root for Liverpool. Where they all fake fans at the parade for the 6th? You might be a bit upset at Liverpool winning everything in sight lately but don’t say we’ve sold out. No sugar daddy’s here pal.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sold their souls to satan? True Liverpool fans don’t root for Liverpool. Where they all fake fans at the parade for the 6th? You might be a bit upset at Liverpool winning everything in sight lately but don’t say we’ve sold out. No sugar daddy’s here pal.
Did you forget the bit where you got knocked out of all other competitions this season?

Zlaatan

Parody Account
"Winning everything in sight lately" is a brave way of describing an average of 1.5 trophies per season over a period of 2 years.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
*Wins everything in sight lately*

*Literally gets turfed out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle every season under Klopp*

This alternate Scouseverse must be a scream to inhabit.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
It all depends. Are you talking from Liverpool or through academy. Sterling was in academy
Wasn’t he technically signed from QPR in his teens? I wouldn’t say you could compare Sterling to Alexander-Arnold, who has been at the club from a very young age.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Wasn’t he technically signed from QPR in his teens? I wouldn’t say you could compare Sterling to Alexander-Arnold, who has been at the club from a very young age.
A lot of youth products are brought in from other clubs in their teens. Beckham and Giggs joined when they were 14, Neville joined when he was 16, while Sterling was signed at 15.

If you put a barrier on 16 and then a lot of youth products go out of the picture.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I think 2 yrs at academy set the youth program on fire with his goal exploits. But at that age surely the academy had the most impact up to that point in his progression.

AFC NimbleThumb

If as has been rumoured next season quickly follows this one I can see Liverpool being one of the worse affected; their momentum is gone whilst retaining is always harder than the initial win.

The pace they started this season with was literally historic; they aren’t doing it again next season.

They’re a top side but they won’t be carrying a momentous title win into next season so it’ll be interesting to see them try to live up to expectations.

[All conjecture of course]

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good to see him ranting at the ref after the game. Such a dreadful loser, or even drawer aint he.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If as has been rumoured next season quickly follows this one I can see Liverpool being one of the worse affected; their momentum is gone whilst retaining is always harder than the initial win.

The pace they started this season with was literally historic; they aren’t doing it again next season.

They’re a top side but they won’t be carrying a momentous title win into next season so it’ll be interesting to see them try to live up to expectations.

Let's hope so.
Let's also hope their hunger drops that ever so slight bit as we've seen with City a few times over the years. Couple of injuries to key players would be critical too. And I don't mean "Hendo", I mean the front 3, Van D or TAA. Whenever they rotate any of those 5 the replacement is an absolute country mile off the same level.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The state of this prick on the pitch after the match haranguing officials again. How is he allowed to get away with these shameful acts time and time again?!

Throw the book at him, FFS.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Getting knocked out of the CL was a blessing in disguise for them. They'll have a longer break than City.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It's hard to judge them at the minute because they've been non-stop for 18 months or so now and now they've secured the title there was bound to be an inevitable drop off. They won't come close to 100 points next season but I'd imagine it will be Liverpool and City for the title again. Possibly United but I think it may perhaps be a season too soon.

I do of course hope I'm wrong as I'd love to see them plummet back down the table.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Let’s himself down so badly with his post match antics when he doesn’t win. It really does bring out the worst in him and makes his charm when they win look quite contrived.

This game meant nothing, yet there he is again.

AFC NimbleThumb

Let’s himself down so badly with his post match antics when he doesn’t win. It really does bring out the worst in him and makes his charm when they win look quite contrived.

This game meant nothing, yet there he is again.
What’s he done?

I’ve long said had he been managing United there’s no chance the media look so glowingly at his. . . passion. Top manager but unlike a lot on here I’ve never been able to stand him.