Transgender rights discussion

jeff_goldblum

Interesting few days for her - praising Stephen King for standing up for her re: her experience of assault and then deleting her tweet and unfollowing him when he tweeted 'trans women are women', retweeting a tweet expressing dismay at a Canadian bill being passed which outlawed conversion therapy (her pen name Robert Galbraith under which she wrote a book with transphobia aspects happens to be the name of a well-known proponent of conversion therapy) and it emerging that she follows a white supremacist author whose other fans include Viktor Orbán.

Interesting few days for her - praising Stephen King for standing up for her re: her experience of assault and then deleting her tweet and unfollowing him when he tweeted 'trans women are women', retweeting a tweet expressing dismay at a Canadian bill being passed which outlawed conversion therapy (her pen name Robert Galbraith under which she wrote a book with transphobia aspects happens to be the name of a well-known proponent of conversion therapy) and it emerging that she follows a white supremacist author whose other fans include Viktor Orbán.
Maybe people will actually start realizing that her views (as expressed in person and in her books) are actually quite conservative by nature and that the tumblr crowd was always going to be disappointed in her at some point.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
She deleted her tweet praising Stephen King right after he tweeted "Trans women are women", his position would hopefully extend a little beyond the tumblr crowd (though I' not very confident it does).

zing

Zingle balls
She deleted her tweet praising Stephen King right after he tweeted "Trans women are women", his position would hopefully extend a little beyond the tumblr crowd (though I' not very confident it does).
i waa giving her the benefit of the doubt thinking she was interested in a real debate till she did this. That was pretty juvenile

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I think this is a cool thing these fecking nerds have done, in distancing themselves from her statements on gender stuff:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...elves-from-jk-rowling-over-transgender-rights

It doesn't always work out this way but the unruly winds of social media can sometimes blow in a goodly direction. And sometimes soc-media is the only thing that can reach these previously untouchable, abusive billionaires.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I think this is a cool thing these fecking nerds have done, in distancing themselves from her statements on gender stuff:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...elves-from-jk-rowling-over-transgender-rights

It doesn't always work out this way but the unruly winds of social media can sometimes blow in a goodly direction. And sometimes soc-media is the only thing that can reach these previously untouchable, abusive billionaires.
How is she being taught? The fans are too entrenched into her books to give them up all together which would actually hit her if the popularity of HP goes down impact the millions in royalty she is earning. I have seen folks who run HP podcasts say that they condemn here but it does not mean people should stop enjoying or discussion her books. I mentioned in the first post itself that a large portion of HP fan base is the one most outraged by this and the same makes her some what 'un-cancellable.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Alright, so I have learned 5 new words today: Agender, Bigender, Demigender, Genderfluid and Transfeminine/masculine. I think in 2 hours I will completely have forgotten what these words actually mean. I think it's hard to keep up with if you are not really part of that world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-binary_gender

Last edited:

Gehrman

Just posting this here because I found parts of it funny.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/09/02/its-time-to-derail-the-pride-train/

" The LGBT community is now the LGBTQQIP2SAA movement. It’s getting ridiculous."

" So now there are flags available for those who identify as pangender, aporagender, agender, bigender, trigender, genderqueer, genderfluid, demigender, demigirl, demiboy, neutrois, polyamorous, non-binary, asexual, omnisexual, polysexual, abrosexual, androsexual, gynosexual, skoliosexual, aromantic, gender questioning, gender non-conforming, and many more. Surely it would be far easier to create one giant flag for narcissists and be done with it. "

NotThatSoph

" The LGBT community is now the LGBTQQIP2SAA movement. It’s getting ridiculous."

" So now there are flags available for those who identify as pangender, aporagender, agender, bigender, trigender, genderqueer, genderfluid, demigender, demigirl, demiboy, neutrois, polyamorous, non-binary, asexual, omnisexual, polysexual, abrosexual, androsexual, gynosexual, skoliosexual, aromantic, gender questioning, gender non-conforming, and many more. Surely it would be far easier to create one giant flag for narcissists and be done with it. "
This guy is so funny he could be a generic Internet teenager. He didn't even use the tried and true alphabet soup slam dunk, so he can get even funnier.

Even if you agree with this guy wholeheartedly, how can you find this funny? It's the "two tomatoes crossed the road" of anti-LGBT+ jokes.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

The author should probably get themselves a narcissist flag by the look of those quotes.
:lol:

Gehrman

This guy is so funny he could be a generic Internet teenager. He didn't even use the tried and true alphabet soup slam dunk, so he can get even funnier.

Even if you agree with this guy wholeheartedly, how can you find this funny? It's the "two tomatoes crossed the road" of anti-LGBT+ jokes.
I don't agree with the guy wholeheartedly, I think it's more the ever expanding lexicon of genders I find puzzling and funny.

NotThatSoph

I don't agree with the guy wholeheartedly, I think it's more the ever expanding lexicon of genders I find puzzling and funny.
See, that makes it even weirder to me. Surely you've seen this exact article and these exact jokes done millions of times before?

Gehrman

See, that makes it even weirder to me. Surely you've seen this exact article and these exact jokes done millions of times before?
I havn't actually followed this stuff very much. It's probably much more a topic of conversation in the UK and the US than it is here. So I'm behind the times.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
See, the problem with right wing humor to me is not that it's offensive. It's just never funny.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

So funny. Did he do the one about identifying as an attack helicopter or a penguin? That gets me every time.

NotThatSoph

So funny. Did he do the one about identifying as an attack helicopter or a penguin? That gets me every time.
I'm not huge on Frankie Boyle, but his twist on this wasn't too bad. Ricky Gervais, being the extremely unfunny and unoriginal waste of space that he is, did a joke that went something along the lines of "if people can identify as a different gender I can identify as a toaster", which Boyle responded that he shouldn't identify as a stand up comedian.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm not huge on Frankie Boyle, but his twist on this wasn't too bad. Ricky Gervais, being the extremely unfunny and unoriginal waste of space that he is, did a joke that went something along the lines of "if people can identify as a different gender I can identify as a toaster", which Boyle responded that he shouldn't identify as a stand up comedian.
I love Frankie Boyle taking the piss out of people. The evil laugh he does, is a classic. Does he still do shows?

NotThatSoph

I love Frankie Boyle taking the piss out of people. The evil laugh he does, is a classic. Does he still do shows?
He does, but I don't really keep up so I don't know how often. I believe he's changing things up a bit style wise as well.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Quality from Boyle :lol::lol::lol:

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Gervais is a shame, I do love the Office but he really is insufferable.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Very original.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

I've seen the odd tweet referring to queer activists as 'the alphabet mafia' which is just an objectively cool name and I'm disappointed there hasn't been a committed effort to make it our own.

NotThatSoph

I've seen the odd tweet referring to queer activists as 'the alphabet mafia' which is just an objectively cool name and I'm disappointed there hasn't been a committed effort to make it our own.
I might be making this up, but I feel like I've heard that.

Anyway, I hear from reputable conservative centrist sources that you guys are taking over, so enjoy, choose whatever name you want and then some (if I'm misreading "make it our own" here then shoot me.)

DOTA

I might be making this up, but I feel like I've heard that.

Anyway, I hear from reputable conservative centrist sources that you guys are taking over, so enjoy, choose whatever name you want and then some (if I'm misreading "make it our own" here then shoot me.)
We're doing our best. Obviously banning heterosexuality was always going to be hard to sell to the masses but you have to take things one step at a time.

I am a genderqueer pansexual, in formal terms. I generally just use 'queer' to describe myself and the community at large.

Halftrack

The acronym had already grown to the point he's now aghast about it having grown to more than a decade ago, yet he pats himself on the back about predicting it 6-7 years ago.

It should also be pointed out that LGBT, LGBT+, LGBQT, LGBQT+ and the other 4-5 letter versions of the acronym are still the norm, but you can't be outraged about that.

Then there's the mischaracterizations of arguments, his clear view that, of all the people covered by the full acronym, only gay people's needs and wants matter, and his repeated claims that gay folks have achieved equality (he does one time specify "before the law", which is guess is true). It's a terrible piece of writing by a thoroughly unfunny individual. But he's very clearly a transphobe, so I guess it has a place in this thread, even if it isn't related to Rowling.

DOTA

It should also be pointed out that LGBT, LGBT+, LGBQT, LGBQT+ and the other 4-5 letter versions of the acronym are still the norm, but you can't be outraged about that.
LGBTQIA is the norm these days in the community. That's intersex and asexual at the end there, for anyone confused.

Asexuals being a pretty obvious addition, given it already included everyone else who isn't purely heterosexual and intersex people being included, from my understanding, because many intersex people were vocal about the fact that intersex rights are best fought for as one with sexuality and gender minority rights. Intersex people are often LGBT, so it makes a lot of sense.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
What is it with these Wokemarxtopians and their torrents of taxonomical terror. I haven't been this outraged since Gell-Mann further subdivided the atom into quarks. If they're not inventing new Dulux colour swatches they're digging up the latest missing link. Why can't everything be just one thing; one indivisible, static singularity from which nothing grows or changes. Won't someone release us from this hellishly Heraclitean higgledy-piggledy. Mum, I finished painting the windows.

Last edited:

Charlie Foley

:lol: :lol:

Charlie Foley

Alphabet mafia is great. Needs to go on a shirt

nimic

something nice
Scout
Apparently she just released a book where the killer is a crossdresser who hates women (which is what she sort of thinks trans women are)? Seems on brand.

Mike Smalling

Apparently she just released a book where the killer is a crossdresser who hates women (which is what she sort of thinks trans women are)? Seems on brand.
Wow! Incredibly subtle messaging :lol: Short article about it

The idea of a cross-dressing killer isn't exactly new though (Silence of the Lambs, Psycho, etc.).

Also, what is the point of using a pseudonym, when everyone knows who you are anyway?

nimic

something nice
Scout
"her voice as rough and loud as a docker's"

Isn't she supposed to be a great writer or something? :lol:

Not as bad as Ben Shapiro, I guess, who wrote the line "she heard him sigh audibly".

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
"her voice as rough and loud as a docker's"

Isn't she supposed to be a great writer or something? :lol:

Not as bad as Ben Shapiro, I guess, who wrote the line "she heard him sigh audibly".
That's one thing she's never been accused of.