Jack Butland | Loan agreed, medical completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
You know in Football Manager when you sign an Emergency Backup goalkeeper and the fans, board and scouting department get so mad at you that they crawl out of the game and try to kill you for real

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Oh right, well I suppose his point is that Tom Heaton isn't good enough to be a 2nd choice keeper now he's 37.
Isn't even just that he's 37. Three years ago he had a cruciate ligament injury and has played 22 minutes of top level football since. No PL club in their right mind would risk that as a second choice keeper.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Oh right, well I suppose his point is that Tom Heaton isn't good enough to be a 2nd choice keeper now he's 37.
I don’t think he really matters who our 2nd choice is tbh, they’re probably gonna play like twice.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don’t think he really matters who our 2nd choice is tbh, they’re probably gonna play like twice.
That's the thing though, it doesn't matter until it REALLY matters.

If De Gea gets injured for a lengthy time, I would not want Tom Heaton being our keeper... I don't really want Butland to be our keeper either mind you, but I'd prefer him over Heaton, and that's what its about.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

If De Gea gets injured for a lengthy time, I would not want Tom Heaton being our keeper... I don't really want Butland to be our keeper either mind you, but I'd prefer him over Heaton, and that's what its about.
True.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Not really sure why this deal is causing a bit of fuss. Most top clubs have an experienced keeper as third choice or emergency back up

City have Scott Carson as third choice, Liverpool have Adrian, Chelsea have Bettinelli, heck even Newcastle have Dubravka now probably.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Not really sure why this deal is causing a bit of fuss. Most top clubs have an experienced keeper as third choice or emergency back up

City have Scott Carson as third choice, Liverpool have Adrian, Chelsea have Bettinelli, heck even Newcastle have Dubravka now probably.
Seems he's being brought in to be the No.2 keeper seen as Heaton doesn't get a look in. He's pretty good though, but does have a massive clanger in him quite often. That's what I remember from watching him play for Blues & Stoke anyway.

romufc

What's the point of having Heaton around if he's deemed such a massive risk to be on the bench?

People who understand football better than me will tell me you "need" an experienced 3rd choice keeper instead of a youngster, but I've never quite understood why.
It just seems a great way to waste a salary higher than a youth teamer would get.
I am not entirely sure how much Heaton is on but what I can tell you from what I have heard and read is he is necessary in the dressing room.

Sometimes you need someone in the dressing room who the manager trusts.

FlawlessThaw

Seems he's being brought in to be the No.2 keeper seen as Heaton doesn't get a look in. He's pretty good though, but does have a massive clanger in him quite often. That's what I remember from watching him play for Blues & Stoke anyway.
Ah yeah I know Butland is being bought in as a No.2. It's more people's confusion over Heaton's role.

I think Butland is fine until the summer and then we can see who else we could bring in,

Chairman Steve

Heatons probably comfortable being No.3 considering his age. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was doing coaching badges on the side and being more ‘player/coach’ like Lee Grant was.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Ah yeah I know Butland is being bought in as a No.2. It's more people's confusion over Heaton's role.

I think Butland is fine until the summer and then we can see who else we could bring in,
Yeah he'll fill a hole, I'd be pretty nervous if anything happened to David though, but then I guess any team would if their first team keeper was out for a long time. Pretty rare you have two brilliant No 1's fighting it out I guess, so agree not sure why people are freaking out.

Butland's had a pretty weird career though, he's played nowhere near the amount he should have. He was touted to be England's keeper when he was at the Blues if I remember.

mu4c_20le

I am not entirely sure how much Heaton is on but what I can tell you from what I have heard and read is he is necessary in the dressing room.

Sometimes you need someone in the dressing room who the manager trusts.
Heaton was brought in by Ole. Maybe his personality is such that ETH likes him too, but I think it's more about having experience both in the dressing room and training ground. Having just youth keepers isn't going to help our forwards much.

FlawlessThaw

Yeah he'll fill a hole, I'd be pretty nervous if anything happened to David though, but then I guess any team would if their first team keeper was out for a long time. Pretty rare you have two brilliant No 1's fighting it out I guess, so agree not sure why people are freaking out.

Butland's had a pretty weird career though, he's played nowhere near the amount he should have. He was touted to be England's keeper when he was at the Blues if I remember.
Yeah Butland wouldn't be my choice for 2nd keeper but he will hopefully do until the summer. I suppose Butland has strong premier league experience and that is decent.

I'm also not a big fan of 2 No.1's fighting it out anyway, it's better to have a consistent number 1 with the 2nd choice able to come in without causing the same level of alarm when Kevin Pilkington would come in for Schmeichel.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Yeah Butland wouldn't be my choice for 2nd keeper but he will hopefully do until the summer. I suppose Butland has strong premier league experience and that is decent.

I'm also not a big fan of 2 No.1's fighting it out anyway, it's better to have a consistent number 1 with the 2nd choice able to come in without causing the same level of alarm when Kevin Pilkington would come in for Schmeichel.
He was great in that one game against Palace (94/95)

romufc

Heaton was brought in by Ole. Maybe his personality is such that ETH likes him too, but I think it's more about having experience both in the dressing room and training ground. Having just youth keepers isn't going to help our forwards much.
Now it makes sense why there is dislike towards him, he was brought in by Ole. There was an article earlier this season from the telegraph highlighting Heaton as part of the leadership group at United.

People think standards are driven up by Ten Hag and that is the end of it. Ten Hag has generals in the form of leadership from players like Bruno, Heaton that also enforce these standards at the club. A youth team keeper would not be able to do so.

croadyman

Welcome Jack. Hope he still has some of the old, international cap-worthy form. If only we could sign outfield players just as smoothly.
Yeah rather than waiting til after City

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Tom Heaton brings his experience to the training and dressing room? No wonder ETH wants a new sub Gk so bad.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
He came through at Birmingham. We sent him out IIRC to Cheltenham on loan when he was a teen. He actually made his England debut before he played for Birmingham the following week, so was technically a League 2 player. Had a bad ankle injury and struggled after.

I think being around David will improve him. Good enough for #2 at United, and English. He won’t rock the boat, has EPL experience, and should improve in those surroundings.

daba

People saying what about Heaton? Has he fallen out with ETH?

His role is 3rd goalkeeper, where unless a proper emergency occurs he won’t be expecting any game time and is more there for training, coaching purposes, and mostly likely to keep our English homegrown quota high.

Basically the same as what Richard Wright was for city for years, but a more capable version.

As for Butland, he would be a top Championship to lower Prem keeper. He’s a very good option for 2nd keeper. The only part I don’t understand is why it’s a loan rather than an outright buy given his contract is up in June?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Always interesting to go back to the old threads to see what people were saying 5 years ago. Few thought he'd be amazing, some said he'd be England's no.1. @Samid said he had enormous potential.

Sadly nobody embarrassed themselves which was the main reason I went looking but I'll be damned if the effort was in vein so here's a post anyway.
I thought he'd get to play for England (maybe not hold down the spot) the first few times I saw him (at a very young age). but then I thought the same of Chris Kirkland... can't say I think Pickford is that much better

Gandalf

People saying what about Heaton? Has he fallen out with ETH?

His role is 3rd goalkeeper, where unless a proper emergency occurs he won’t be expecting any game time and is more there for training, coaching purposes, and mostly likely to keep our English homegrown quota high.

Basically the same as what Richard Wright was for city for years, but a more capable version.

As for Butland, he would be a top Championship to lower Prem keeper. He’s a very good option for 2nd keeper. The only part I don’t understand is why it’s a loan rather than an outright buy given his contract is up in June?
Well it looks pretty much like we are paying his salary and that is it, so we are getting a 6 month preview before deciding whether to offer a longer deal and Palace are saving on the wages for a guy they don't need. If Palace were asking for transfer fee I doubt we would be in for him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
From what I remember about Butland is he doesn't tend to make howlers which is a good start for your back-up keeper! Is he Manuel Neuer? No. but he ain't taibi or that French clown we paid a fortune to/for either

croadyman

From what I remember about Butland is he doesn't tend to make howlers which is a good start for your back-up keeper! Is he Manuel Neuer? No. but he ain't taibi or that French clown we paid a fortune to/for either
Yeah think he has generally been solid

Boneli

This is literally the last game I can remember him playing…

Still think he is a perfectly adequate number 2 though, Palace fans rate him and think he’s unlucky to be stuck as their number 3.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
fecking hell you lot can't get over Paul Pogba can you

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This is literally the last game I can remember him playing…

Still think he is a perfectly adequate number 2 though, Palace fans rate him and think he’s unlucky to be stuck as their number 3.
De Gea has made a fair few clangers over the years to be fair

Status
Not open for further replies.