Jack Charlton has passed away

Okey

Sad news. RIP Big Jack. Thoughts with Sir Bobby and the family.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What a legend.. sad to hear about his pasing. RIP Big Jack.

Deery

Dreary
RIP Legend, “we’re all part of Jackie’s army”.

Brophs

The One and Only
Alongside SAF he gave me the best years of my football supporting life.

R.I.P.

diarm

I wonder will be they be afraid to open up a book of condolences in Dublin? They could end up with the entire country travelling to sign it and a Covid-19 nightmare on their hands.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Was in the queue for the weekly shop and heard about it from the couple in front of me who were talking about it - must have been at the time it was breaking news.

RIP

always_hoping

Ah so sad, I lived through Euro 88, the World Cups in 1990 and 94. He lifted the Irish nation and took us to places we never had seen before. The memories will live on as will the legend of Mr Charlton. RIP Big Jack.

Last edited:

dalriada

R.I.P. Jack Charlton, born and died in his beloved Northumberland. Condolences to Sir Bobby and the families, hoping they were at peace with each other at the end. A fine player and a great football career.

simplyared

Only five players from the world cup winning side of 1966 are left now. As a player for that "infamous" Leeds side of the late 60's early 70's I can't say I was a fan. However developed into a top class centre half quite late on in his career. I associate him as being one of the first CB's to become a goal threat in the oponents penalty box. Leeds introduced that aspect into the game quite early on and it worked well for them. Hated the team though!
RIP big Jack!

man united 4eva

R.I.P Jackie Charlton.. I can remember him scoring the first goal against us in a 2-2 draw at Elland Road in 1970.. Leeds won a corner and Peter Lorimer swung the ball into the penalty area where Paul Madeley headed it back for Jack Charlton to score with a typical header. Our players complained bitterly that the goal should not have been allowed to stand, because a Leeds supporter at that end of the ground had clearly blown a whistle and our players switched off before the ball reached Jack Charlton. Wilf McGuinness argued that our players had thought the referee had blown the whistle, but the referee allowed the goal to stand. He did, though, order a loudspeaker announcement to be made, warning that if the unofficial whistle should be blown again he would take action.. :confused::mad:

Reactions: Niall

Denis' cuff

Very sad but hey, he was an old bloke And his time ran out. A real fecking legend, big Jack, as opposed to the 10 million two-Bob legends around now. Wish he’d played for us when Bill Foulkes was fading away. Dirty bastard but an absolute rock. Bobby Moore got showered with praise after the 66 WC win but without Jack next to him, London’s finest would have got roasted like West Ham. Loved him as a pundit too. Straight as a dye. Saw him a couple of times at after dinner gigs and he was always worth listening to and blunt as they come.

rip, big man - sort em out.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He always seemed like a warm, decent fella and his teams were warriors, cast in his own image.

RIP Jack.

Denis' cuff

... just an afterthought; if both Charlton brothers were on the pitch for the ‘70 wc sf vs W. Germany, no way we’d have lost a two goal lead. Beckenbauer would’ve still been chasing Bobby and Seeler wouldn’t have got near a header, never mind the other two goals we shipped.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Sad news, always came across as an honest, straight talking man who clearly loved football.

Some people have said not the most talented of footballers but talent comes in lots of forms.... and two great British managers don't keep you as a part of one of the great club teams of the last 50 years and a World Cup winning team without something.

My favourite memory was Rep of Ireland scoring in the World Cup and a huge smile on his face.

RIP.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I was very saddened to hear the news about Jack. A true legend and a legend in more ways than one.
Probably Ireland's most loved Englishman.
Rest in Peace Jack.