Jack Grealish | Euro 2020/1

Yagami

Good post resistant
In my opinion, this fellow could be the difference maker between us having a decent Euro showing, and a very good one.

Should Southgate consider him a starter? If so, do you expect him to be a difference maker? Here's hoping this thread is looked back on fondly come the end of the tournament!

Yagami

Good post resistant
England pinning all their hopes and dreams on an Irishman?

You love to see it!
I love Ireland!

What do you think? Should he start, and, if so, do you see him being a difference maker?

gajender

In my opinion, this fellow could be the difference maker between us having a decent Euro showing, and a very good one.

Should Southgate consider him a starter? If so, do you expect him to be a difference maker? Here's hoping this thread is looked back on fondly come the end of the tournament!
He should definitely be starter for England and kind of pragmatic football England play under Southgate they need player like Grealish who can produce magic individually to actually do anything worthwhile in the tournament .

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I love Ireland!

What do you think? Should he start, and, if so, do you see him being a difference maker?
I am only pulling your leg, mate.

I absolutely love Grealish. (I think I started the first thread on him on the Caf, way back in 2013. :angel:) Personally, I think Southgate would be mental not to start him and build his attack around him. He’s genuinely that good. I’d love to see him light up the Euros, but from a United point of view, that may make signing him even more difficult.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He should definitely be starter for England and kind of pragmatic football England play under Southgate they need player like Grealish who can produce magic individually to actually do anything worthwhile in the tournament .
My thoughts, too. It's why I think both him and Foden should start. Together, I think they could really take our general play to another level with their ability to play in tight spaces and under pressure.

Plus, I think Grealish really gives off a never give up attitude that could rub off on the team in general.

snk123

The actual talent we should have been after. He's going to light up Euros and will then go to City while we will end up with an inferior player in Sancho. Will be watching England games just to see Grealish.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He should absolutely start, I can’t think of many reasons he wouldn’t and he certainly can be a difference maker.
Well, he doesn't seem to be seen as one to Southgate. Looks like he prefers Mount, and definitely won't play Grealish and Foden with Mount. I don't think that's the way to go but I wonder if anyone agrees with Southgate.
I am only pulling your leg, mate.

I absolutely love Grealish. (I think I started the first thread on him on the Caf, way back in 2013. :angel:) Personally, I think Southgate would be mental not to start him and build his attack around him. He’s genuinely that good. I’d love to see him light up the Euros, but from a United point of view, that may make signing him even more difficult.
Ha, nice one, mate!

I get your United point but, from the outside looking in, it looks like Grealish isn't a high priority for us anyway. On the flip side, I think a stellar Euros would make us more eager to sign him!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If he hadn't had that 3month spell out, he'd be my first name on the sheet.
Wonder it that spell out has affected the decision.
Foden ended the season in good form too and Rashy and Sterling are Southgate boys.

izec

Foden ended the season in good form too and Rashy and Sterling are Southgate boys.
He should be fresh, while Rashford/Sterling are not in their best form to say it nicely. Rashford not even fully fit

Yagami

Good post resistant
Don't forget Mount. Kane and Sterling are guaranteed, and deserve to be, imo. Then there's one spot for Rashford/Sancho, and another for Mount/Foden/Grealish it seems.

The actual talent we should have been after. He's going to light up Euros and will then go to City while we will end up with an inferior player in Sancho. Will be watching England games just to see Grealish.
I think he should be our number 1 priority, too, but let's not concern ourselves with the City link just yet! Let's enjoy him while we still can :lol:

Classical Mechanic

I doubt that Grealish will start. His best form by far has been on the left wing for Villa. Southgate will select either Rashford or Sterling in that position because they’re the only two wide forwards we have with real pace. This stretches the opposition defence and makes it harder for them to defend as a unit. I think he’ll select Mount as the player to link midfield to attack as he’s a very efficient player in transitions and has excellent off the ball work. In contrast Grealish is fairly poor off the ball which can be costly in central positions.

He could start Grealish on the left and Sterling on the right but I think he’ll use Foden who was in fantastic form at the end of last season whilst Grealish was injured.

I think the main argument against Grealish is the idea that a team should be built round him. I don’t think many managers really think that way anymore as an optimised team is on average more efficient than relying on a single player to produce something every game. He was very elite in chance creation last season but I think to actually build your team around someone these days they have to be at Messi or Ronaldo level and score a lot of goals. They need that extra dimension and there’s not much to suggest that Grealish has that so far.

I think Grealish on at 60 minutes if you’re wanting someone to hold on to the ball and win free kicks to kill opposition momentum is a very useful option to have.

Don't get me wrong, if Grealish starts I’d be happy as he’s a great player but I don’t think his exclusion from the XI would be all that controversial.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Well, he doesn't seem to be seen as one to Southgate. Looks like he prefers Mount, and definitely won't play Grealish and Foden with Mount. I don't think that's the way to go but I wonder if anyone agrees with Southgate.
I’d start him over Rashford on the left given his form at the seasons end. I doubt Southgate will though.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I’d start him over Rashford on the left given his form at the seasons end. I doubt Southgate will though.
I would argue one of Rashford and Sterling is needed for their pace, to have a threat on the counter and stretch the opponent. I would go with Rashford/Sterling - Grealish - Foden.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can you give me the lottery number for this week?

I doubt that Grealish will start. His best form by far has been on the left wing for Villa. Southgate will select either Rashford or Sterling in that position because they’re the only two wide forwards we have with real pace. This stretches the opposition defence and makes it harder for them to defend as a unit. I think he’ll select Mount as the player to link midfield to attack as he’s a very efficient player in transitions and has excellent off the ball work. In contrast Grealish is fairly poor off the ball which can be costly in central positions.

He could start Grealish on the left and Sterling on the right but I think he’ll use Foden who was in fantastic form at the end of last season whilst Grealish was injured.

I think the main argument against Grealish is the idea that a team should be built round him. I don’t think many managers really think that way anymore as an optimised team is on average more efficient than relying on a single player to produce something every game. He was very elite in chance creation last season but I think to actually build your team around someone these days they have to be at Messi or Ronaldo level and score a lot of goals. They need that extra dimension and there’s not much to suggest that Grealish has that so far.

I think Grealish on at 60 minutes if you’re wanting someone to hold on to the ball and win free kicks to kill opposition momentum is a very useful option to have.

Don't get me wrong, if Grealish starts I’d be happy as he’s a great player but I don’t think his exclusion from the XI would be all that controversial.
i don’t think you need to build a team around him. His work rate is impressive - and he fits in where required. He’s obviously the main man at villa, where they don’t have as much quality.

it’s brilliant for us, that we have the quality to be able to leave him out.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I would argue one of Rashford and Sterling is needed for their pace, to have a threat on the counter and stretch the opponent. I would go with Rashford/Sterling - Grealish - Foden.
Foden definitely has to be in there, I’d personally have Grealish in there but if form is the factor for selection there can’t be many arguments for Marcus to start. Much as we want our players playing for the national team, he looked completely spent by the end of the season. The guy needs a rest.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Foden definitely has to be in there, I’d personally have Grealish in there but if form is the factor for selection there can’t be many arguments for Marcus to start. Much as we want our players playing for the national team, he looked completely spent by the end of the season. The guy needs a rest.
Absolutely agree, would rather go with Sterling, but somehow Rashford has achieved something of an undroppable status. Don't know why that is, but wouldn't be surprised at all to see Southgate picking him.

cyberman

Absolutely agree, would rather go with Sterling, but somehow Rashford has achieved something of an undroppable status. Don't know why that is, but wouldn't be surprised at all to see Southgate picking him.
Rashford has attributes that other English players dont have. England have looked toothless when playing the Grealish / Mount etc triangles because nobody runs in behind and its all ball to feet. In these predicted lineups, there are few goals behind Kane.
It should be between Marcus and Sancho for the left spot. Sterling is nowhere

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I would start Grealish on the left over Rasford. He's more composed, nimble footed and overall has a better variety in his passing and is simply a player more inclined to bring others into play.

Rashford is still a greater threat when there's abit more room infront of him, when the game opens up. But his lack of interplay is one of his weakest aspects.

Classical Mechanic

I think this thread is indicative of the problem with Grealish. He seems to have been elevated to an esteem far beyond his achievements in the game in the minds of some fans. Is he the only player to have an individual thread? I do think he's a cracking player but he's not Messi.

England likely won't win this tournament with or without him but I suppose the seeds of a myth are being sown.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think this thread is indicative of the problem with Grealish. He seems to have been elevated to an esteem far beyond his achievements in the game in the minds of some fans. Is he the only player to have an individual thread? I do think he's a cracking player but he's not Messi.

England likely won't win this tournament with or without him but I suppose the seeds of a myth are being sown.
I agree with this to a certain extent.

England, not necessarily Southgate, is once again pinning alot of hope on one player to give us a spark/edge.

Don't get more wrong because I hope Jack gives us something extra but this is very rarely the case with England post 96 Gazza.

And Grealish is a lessor player than Gazza.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I agree with this to a certain extent.

England, not necessarily Southgate, is once again pinning alot of hope on one player to give us a spark/edge.

Don't get more wrong because I hope Jack gives us something extra but this is very rarely the case with England post 96 Gazza.

And Grealish is a lessor player than Gazza.
Rooney in 04?

Yagami

Good post resistant

I've rated Grealish the same for years. Even when he was in the Championship I thought he was good enough to start, and that was seen as silly because he was a Championship player and we had Maddison, Ali, Lingard playing at a higher level, etc.

I didn't make the thread because he's the best player. I made it because, as well as just being a big fan and looking forward to seeing him in a major tournament, the goal of a thread is to promote discussion. As this is a United forum, we have more English fans than not on here, and Grealish's part in our Euros is the big talking point so why not discuss it? Personally, I'm hoping he has a stellar Euros and we all rave about him in here like a Luke Shaw performance thread. :D

Finally, I don't think anyone has said he's the difference in winning the competition. At most, I, and probably others, have said he "could" be the difference between an average tournament and a good one. That doesn't necessarily mean winning it.

Classical Mechanic

I've rated Grealish the same for years. Even when he was in the Championship I thought he was good enough to start, and that was seen as silly because he was a Championship player and we had Maddison, Ali, Lingard playing at a higher level, etc.

I didn't make the thread because he's the best player. I made it because, as well as just being a big fan and looking forward to seeing him in a major tournament, the goal of a thread is to promote discussion. As this is a United forum, we have more English fans than not on here, and Grealish's part in our Euros is the big talking point so why not discuss it? Personally, I'm hoping he has a stellar Euros and we all rave about him in here like a Luke Shaw performance thread. :D

Finally, I don't think anyone has said he's the difference in winning the competition. At most, I, and probably others, have said he "could" be the difference between an average tournament and a good one. That doesn't necessarily mean winning it.
I've rated Grealish for years too. In fact I'm pretty sure that when he was playing for Villa in The Championship I posted on here that he would eventually play for England. That said I do think that tactically he's not an easy fit for England as it stands as we need some pace in his position, the number of excellent players that we have in his best position and I'm not convinced by him in a central position.

TheReligion

Abusive
Don't forget Mount. Kane and Sterling are guaranteed, and deserve to be, imo. Then there's one spot for Rashford/Sancho, and another for Mount/Foden/Grealish it seems.

I think he should be our number 1 priority, too, but let's not concern ourselves with the City link just yet! Let's enjoy him while we still can :lol:
I'm surprised that Sterling is getting praise here. He's had a poor season and it's arguably more out of form than Rashford.

Rashford has been far more productive than Sterling this season too when you look at goals and assists.

I'd say Sterling should be benched.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've rated Grealish for years too. In fact I'm pretty sure that when he was playing for Villa in The Championship I posted on here that he would eventually play for England. That said I do think that tactically he's not an easy fit for England as it stands as we need some pace in his position, the number of excellent players that we have in his best position and I'm not convinced by him in a central position.
That's fair enough, mate. It's one of the reasons I created this thread. I knew the whole Grealish discussion could be quite polarizing so I wanted to hear from both sides (as well as hopefully raving about him playing well!)

I actually think Grealish is quite fast. I've seen him leave opposition players in the dust when he's got going so I don't have any worries there myself. As for the central position point, I completely get the concern there because of his, well, perceived laziness, but before he was given a free role at Villa in the middle of last season, he'd actually been doing very well as a cm in a three. He was actually more disciplined in midfield than McGinn who'd often end up partnering Abraham up front; leaving Grealish and the other cm in a 2 when in possession.

Obviously this is a whole different level, but I think he'd be brilliant in a three with Rice and Foden.

I'm surprised that Sterling is getting praise here. He's had a poor season and it's arguably more out of form than Rashford.

Rashford has been far more productive than Sterling this season too when you look at goals and assists.

I'd say Sterling should be benched.
I'm pretty much basing my opinion on how he's done for England and, imo, he's been our most consistent player alongside Kane for a few years now.

For me, until he plays poorly for England, I'm fine with Southgate starting him.

TheReligion

Abusive
That's fair enough, mate. It's one of the reasons I created this thread. I knew the whole Grealish discussion could be quite polarizing so I wanted to hear from both sides (as well as hopefully raving about him playing well!)

I actually think Grealish is quite fast. I've seen him leave opposition players in the dust when he's got going so I don't have any worries there myself. As for the central position point, I completely get the concern there because of his, well, perceived laziness, but before he was given a free role at Villa in the middle of last season, he'd actually been doing very well as a cm in a three. He was actually more disciplined in midfield than McGinn who'd often end up partnering Abraham up front; leaving Grealish and the other cm in a 2 when in possession.

Obviously this is a whole different level, but I think he'd be brilliant in a three with Rice and Foden.

I'm pretty much basing my opinion on how he's done for England and, imo, he's been our most consistent player alongside Kane for a few years now.

For me, until he plays poorly for England, I'm fine with Southgate starting him.
That's fine but I think you have to judge Rashford by those standards then and he's also been pretty great for England..

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Grealish is good enough to play anywhere across that 3 and still get involved in the game. Personally I'd go 4231 with Mount as one of the 2, Rashford off the left, Grealish down the middle and Foden on the right. But they're all capable of swapping positions fluidly, same with Sterling and Sancho.

What we'll actually see is the 343 (for which read 523 because it's Southgate), something like:

-------------------Kane
-----Grealish Rashford
Chilwell Mount Henderson Trippier
---------Mings Coady Stones
------------------Pickford

devil99

Grealish and Rashford are not starting as per Skysports/DailyMail and Trippier at left back over Shaw and Chilwell.