Jack Grealish | Man City

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
And a far better player. But that's not the point.
Comparing Rooney being Englands starboy to Grealish being Englands starboy doesn't really make sense for me. Rooney as a boy was unreal. Grealish is great sure, but nowhere near the level Rooney looked like achieving.

red4ever 79

Comparing Rooney being Englands starboy to Grealish being Englands starboy doesn't really make sense for me. Rooney as a boy was unreal. Grealish is great sure, but nowhere near the level Rooney looked like achieving.
Agree. It was well known that Rooney even at 14 and 15 was going to be a special special player. Such was the clamour on Merseyside and him demolishing opponents in the youth side, they had no choice to put him in the first team at 16, which was more rare back then. He won the leagues youth player of the year in his first two years, became the youngest scorer in the Premier league back then, before moving to Utd at 18

tob

Where you not present during the euros? The England fans were crying for Grealish. He was "the boy wonder" this summer.
During the Euros 2004 - Rooney was. After the Euros - we signed him. After this summers Euros - City signed Grealish.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Where you not present during the euros? The England fans were crying for Grealish. He was "the boy wonder" this summer.
During the Euros 2004 - Rooney was. After the Euros - we signed him. After this summers Euros - City signed Grealish.
Rooney at those Euros looked like a player who could go on to win several Ballon d'Ors. Grealish not so much.

I think Grealish is a superstar and hate that City got him, but there's really no comparison.

SER19

Rooney at those Euros looked like a player who could go on to win several Ballon d'Ors. Grealish not so much.

I think Grealish is a superstar and hate that City got him, but there's really no comparison.
He was also 7 years younger. A teenager. Strange comparison

tob

Why are we comparing Rooney and Grealish footballing abilities?

acolyte

Someone in the Grealish to City thread said "Many are downplaying him because he cones from Villa, most will shut up in about 15 minutes of the first game or so."

So has he shut us all up yet?

Gazautd18

After watching his cameo today an his performance in the Euros, I can say City were robbed.
Well done Villa.

OrcaFat

Thought he did okay considering he only had 25 mins and his first game. He made stuff happen, took it into the box a few times. He will give them a decent yield. If he plays well and City keep losing that’ll be fine with me.

cyberman

I’m not his biggest fan but he will struggle if Pep doesn’t sign Kane and play with an actual striker. Nobody to cross to and burdened with scoring goals to make up for it which isn’t his strength

Skills

Snitch
He slows the tempo down as soon as the ball gets to him. It's why I've never been a fan.

Interested to see what Guardiola does with him. But Mahrez has the same issue as well and Guardiola's never really taken to him too

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
I like Grealish, however let’s be realistic.
Rooney at 19 years old, was better than Grealish is now.

Rooney won a lot and had a great career, however for me, he never reached his full potential.

At 18 / 19 years old, with the right lifestyle choices, he had the potential to on Messi and Ronaldo levels.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
He slows the tempo down as soon as the ball gets to him. It's why I've never been a fan.

Interested to see what Guardiola does with him. But Mahrez has the same issue as well and Guardiola's never really taken to him too
Exactly how I see it. I don’t think you can risk having them both in the same team and maintain his style of play.

tob

Because you brought up the words "boy wonder", which Rooney at 18 certainly was and Grealish at 25 certainly isn't.
I compared the feelings for the fans. Not the two players abilities or age.

When I saw the City fans reaction when Grealish came on, I got nostalgic, and thought about the moment I saw Rooney for the first time playing for United. Hence why I said:
Bet City fans are feeling the same as when we saw Wayne Rooney playing for United for the first time. England's new wonderboy.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I like Grealish, however let’s be realistic.

Rooney won a lot and had a great career, however for me, he never reached his full potential.

At 18 / 19 years old, with the right lifestyle choices, he had the potential to on Messi and Ronaldo levels.
Let’s be realistic, no teenager has ever had the impact Rooney had and ever will. Freakishly good.

Grealish would be comparable to some good midfielders but nowhere near Rooney

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Clearly, I'd say.

But then again, Rooney at 19 was a monster the like of which you hardly ever see at such a young age.

It's a half-relevant comparison, though, if we're looking at the (insane for me) hype this fecker enjoys from certain people at the moment. I mean, for a player leaving a relatively speaking "smaller" club for the first time after establishing himself as a very attractive target.

(Neither Everton nor Villa are small clubs, certainly not historically - but the point should be obvious).

Josh 76

Mahrez was first pick in the latter half of the season.

decorativeed

One was an 18 year old forward who'd already scored 5 goals for England and 17 in 2 seasons for his club in the PL. The other was a 25 year old midfielder who's scored 0 goals for England and 18 goals in 7 seasons for his club in the PL.

I'm not bashing Grealish, and I think he should have been played more in the Euros, but your comparison is a bit daft.

lsd

The Oracle
What a garbage post :lol:

Yeah garbage because it's true. We signed Sancho weeks before Grealish signed for City yet Grealish was on the pitch today and ready to go for them.

Meanwhile we sit and hope Sancho turns up for training this week.

The whole point of getting your business done early is so you got the ground running

OverratedOpinion

Didn't see the match, I do think he is horrendously overrated personally. To the point that this whole signing and some people's opinions on him really do confuse me.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah garbage because it's true. We signed Sancho weeks before Grealish signed for City yet Grealish was on the pitch today and ready to go for them.

Meanwhile we sit and hope Sancho turns up for training this week.

The whole point of getting your business done early is so you got the ground running
Absolute garbage :lol:

edcunited1878

Just glad he's playing so the hyperbole that was being spewed his way dies down.

He's a very good talent and he's got a nice personality from his time as captain, his incident as Villa player with the Birmingham fan, etc. Came across well in his Euro interviews.

City got who they wanted and fair play to them and Villa. However the over the top comments are too much.

tob

One was an 18 year old forward who'd already scored 5 goals for England and 17 in 2 seasons for his club in the PL. The other was a 25 year old midfielder who's scored 0 goals for England and 18 goals in 7 seasons for his club in the PL.

I'm not bashing Grealish, and I think he should have been played more in the Euros, but your comparison is a bit daft.
Why you think I compared Rooney and Grealish footballing abilities?

Grealish was "the one" for the england fans this Euros. Just as Rooney was at the 2004 Euros. Would you say that's fair?