Jack Grealish | Man City

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I said it when they signed Grealish. Whatever you feel about him as a player, £100 mil for someone who doesn’t really give £100 mil of improvement to your first 11 isn’t a good signing. I really do not see what he brings to the team that their other attacking players already give them.

He could have a successful career at city but for the value, it’s a dreadful signing. There’s no value in selling him and he adds no value to your team. Compare that to Sancho or Lukaku who both were bought for huge fees but have clear value to the team.
Agreed but the fee is set around Villa's assessment of the loss they would face without a player of his calibre in their side. I believe Grealish will find his form. Still very early days.

The United

There are more chances of him flopping if he is a youngster around 19-20 but he has proven himself at Villa for a couple of years now so the chances of him succeeding or improving are higher.
Are you hoping that he will improve?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If City have to abide by FFP as Pep claims then I don't get why you spend £100m on a player when you have to shoe horn into your line up because you have no actual position for him.

Bizarre. City were a mess and Grealish seemed to just be trying to do the exact same job as Sterling.
They have to abide by FFP so much they're trying to sign Kane for 120 million.

Eternitiy

Promising start, nearly won a penalty with a brilliant run in the early part of the game against Tottenham, it was just outside the area.

It's impossible to take the ball from him unless he's fouled.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Perhaps why they sanctioned such a move is partly becasue for whatever reason he's already a very popular player, you see it with the England fans as well. I think City owners will want their sort of Beckham to draw in the viewers and further change the image of the club and capture more minds. We see how image conscious City and PSG are.

I expect him to come good but for England and a lower club he can give you possession and control, something that England lacked and really needed at times in the Euros but was on the bench. He can be a focal point at a Villa but City are already in control in most games. I expect him to come good at City like how Pep can steer the play towards Sterling or Gundogan but we'll see. Like many have said he doesn't bring much extra to the team but he can do a similar job but be many more times popular doing it.
I got the feeling from watching City last season Pep has his heart set on developing Foden in the forwardline after he saw the lad is a clinical finisher. To play either wide or as a false, especially since the loss of Sane. Furthermore, given the strange decline of bernardo Silva for the last 1.5 seasons he needed another quality player to take up the "David Silva" role in midfield with KDB. long term. Hence the Grealish signing.

I also think Pep desires a Kane to lead the line as he use him as a template to turn Ferran Torres into a proper 9 long term. For I think he doesn't see Jesus as a starter long term.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Isn't that down to Pep ? He was looking like the understudy to David Silva. Then gets pushed out wide to the wing and rotated, played out of form. Looks like the shadow of the player he was at Monaco and the first year at City.
No. Bernardo has just lost form bad. The season City broke records the first time Bernardo was a demi god on the flanks. Yet just as deadly in the middle when handed a chance there. Even the follo on year he was ace that is why when time came to make decisions on like Sane, City felt no discomfort. People were thus expecting him to be the guaranteed heir to David Silva when the time came to call it quits. We ust don't know what happened next.

He suddenly dropped in levels and has stayed in a lull lingard style. (Tbf lingard climbed out of it in his west ham stint)

jackal&hyde

He'll come good for them eventually, well probably not 100m good but he'll be good. I see no reason to expect him to flop all honestly. Having a bad start isn't something surprising.
It is though. Comes from AV so knows the PL, is English, etc.

He is a decent player with very good technical ability that will have moments of magic. Lacks pace, doesn't work particularly hard and tends to look like playing for himself too much at times. Bruno and Pogba are 3 times the player. Over hyped to the max by the English media for no reason.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It is though. Comes from AV so knows the PL, is English, etc.

He is a decent player with very good technical ability that will have moments of magic. Lacks pace, doesn't work particularly hard and tends to look like playing for himself too much at times. Bruno and Pogba are 3 times the player. Over hyped to the max by the English media for no reason.
It isn't a big deal. Even great players who played for same club for years had poor games. Grealish wasn't even poor yesterday.

Highfather_24

There are far far more people complaining about how "Grealish is overrated", than the actually 5-6 people overrating him. Seems so forced.

Kinda makes sense though that this trend started after it was obvious he would go to City, before that he was a favourite here among fans. He doesnt need to be a Ronaldinho or the best player in the PL. People are deluding themselves him to think he is a poor man's Joe Cole/Willian. Folks just seem salty that he didnt come here and are now posting cope about how "he is not that good anyway". I think the same happened with Havertz last year.

Yeah he is overpriced at 100M, for the same reason Maguire was overpriced. English players are overhyped and he had a long contract. But that doesnt change the fact that Grealish is one of the best midfielders in the league. What the G+A stats merchants wont tell you is that Grealish is the 2nd most creative player in the league only to KdB, and his main attribute is not "winning fouls".

Highfather_24

His chance creation stats/assists (actual and expected) are very high, tbf. He’s a very creative player, but he is one who slows play a lot and main asset is his dribbling/progressively carrying to draw fouls.

He doesn’t score a lot at all, nor does he press/make much of a defensive contribution, but yeah — can he keep his high chance creation stats playing at City whilst also being expected to dwell less on the ball? Can he add goals to his game? Those are probably the two main questions around him.
First good post I have seen analysing/criticising him.

I disagree with the analysis of people saying City need a Rashford/Son type player, because City's wingers are expected to hug the touchline and play very wide, and that's not their game. City usually camp in the opp. half and there is no room for "making runs behind" etc. I think Sterling, Mahrez, Foden, Torres etc are fine for them.

Grealish is basically a Bernardo replacement for them in midfield. Seems to me Grealish will play as the LCM alongside either Gundogan or KdB. He will get a lot less freedom than he did at Villa, but will have higher quality players around him. It will be interesting to see him after he has adapted to their style of play. I think he will either not work out at all or be extremely dangerous, no inbetween.

roonster09

Scout
There are far far more people complaining about how "Grealish is overrated", than the actually 5-6 people overrating him. Seems so forced.

Kinda makes sense though that this trend started after it was obvious he would go to City, before that he was a favourite here among fans. He doesnt need to be a Ronaldinho or the best player in the PL. People are deluding themselves him to think he is a poor man's Joe Cole/Willian. Folks just seem salty that he didnt come here and are now posting cope about how "he is not that good anyway". I think the same happened with Havertz last year.

Yeah he is overpriced at 100M, for the same reason Maguire was overpriced. English players are overhyped and he had a long contract. But that doesnt change the fact that Grealish is one of the best midfielders in the league. What the G+A stats merchants wont tell you is that Grealish is the 2nd most creative player in the league only to KdB, and his main attribute is not "winning fouls".
Looks like this is something that you want to happen.

"He didn't come here" why will he when we didn't even try to sign him. If we go with "he is City player" then people have no problem praising KdB and most agree that he is the best player in the league. Forget KdB, people don't even have problems saying Salah is the best player in the league when he was one. So why will people have problem with praising Grealish?

Only difference is, no one called Salah as modern Maradona, KdB as modern Zico. They got praised when they played at very high level. On the other hand we have few Grealish fan boys who kept spouting nonsense like "Modern day Ronaldinho" "He is Zidane" "You will see in 15 mins how great he is" "best player in PL". When you read all that, do you think people won't respond saying he isn't all that?

Also Joe Cole was great player btw, Grealish is yet to reach that level.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
".
You clearly didn't read this thread before. From the time he was linked to us till after the City move was announced, the hype has been laughable. Which is resulting in this cascade of a response.

Highfather_24

You clearly didn't read this thread before. From the time he was linked to us till after the City move was announced, the hype has been laughable. Which is resulting in this cascade of a response.
I did. General consensus on redcafe is that he is overrated and wont make much difference at City. Not that he is the second coming of Maradona.

Looks like this is something that you want to happen.
Sure pal, I'm just wanting to see United fans post cringe all day

"He didn't come here" why will he when we didn't even try to sign him.
We were linked with him A LOT. Particularly last summer. Lots of fans wanted him here. To say otherwise is revisionist.

Only difference is, no one called Salah as modern Maradona, KdB as modern Zico. They got praised when they played at very high level. On the other hand we have few Grealish fan boys who kept spouting nonsense like "Modern day Ronaldinho" "He is Zidane" "You will see in 15 mins how great he is" "best player in PL". When you read all that, do you think people won't respond saying he isn't all that?
Like I said, maybe 4-5 people made those daft claims and that became the only talking point. Far far more people complaining that he is overrated than the actual overrating. I can call Bruno overrated too because I saw someone on redcafe calling him the best player in the world, and it would be just as stupid.

Ace of Spades

Never saw what the fuss is all about, good player but massively overpriced and overrated, and most importantly not truly needed.

Looks like they need a ST, LB and DM more right now. Fernandinho is looking slow and they have no one that can do his job (hack people down and escape being carded).

roonster09

Scout
Those cringe posts are much better than what Grealish fan boys came up with.( "OMG We missed the trick again" "We are left behind again" "Shows how far we have fallen" "OMG I can't watch best player in the league now" )

We were linked with him A LOT. Particularly last summer. Lots of fans wanted him here. To say otherwise is revisionist.
I meant this summer and also he didn't come as we didn't make an acceptable bid. We thought we will get him for good price, we didn't and we didn't even make a bid. That story was closed. Not sure why would any ManUtd fan hold that against Grealish. It's not like Ramos situation where he used us for better contract. Like I said, this is something you want to happen rather than what actually happened.

Like I said, maybe 4-5 people made those daft claims and that became the only talking point. Far far more people complaining that he is overrated than the actual overrating. I can call Bruno overrated too because I saw someone on redcafe calling him the best player in the world, and it would be just as stupid.
Ofcourse bit of common sense would say why the number is higher. One poster makes a daft claim, this is a forum with more than 1000 posters online, even if 50 posters respond to that, it will obviously be higher. It's same in any thread when one or two posters make daft claims and you will have many posters who will reply to that post.

Also if anyone rates Grealish highly (and didn't come up with Ronaldinho, Zidnane, Best player in the league thing), not sure why they take the bait. When people post mocking posts, it's for the right audience, the one who came up with daft posts.

There are posts which are to mock the daft posts and then there are so many posts which analyzed his performance without any hyperboles, just like how there are posts which praised Grealish without hyperboles and the daft ones. You have both type of posts from both sides.

jesperjaap

He is a quality player adapting to a new team and players with a price tag round his neck and most importantly to me he ISNT the focus of thse side like he has been his whole career. You could seem moments he was a bit frustrated not beign given the ball that he always would hav ebeen at Villa.

Of course the comparisons from pundits to Gazza are laughable as are some of thos eon here to Ronadhino and ZIdane etc. Comparing almost any player to those is laughable of course though and he is for me one of the best players in the league. Its a case of fitting him into the side asthey already have so many players for his favoured position and can he be as effective in others lik eyesterdays position?

OrcaFat

As I’ve said, he already looks fully comfortable at City. His technique is just amazing. And we know he can be productive against the best as well as against the worst. But he can still be a flop if he doesn’t become more productive.

He has to become a player who consistently does things that win games for City, like KDB does, for example. Half a season, or more, is needed before we can start to make that kind of assessment.

Highfather_24

Those cringe posts are much better than what Grealish fan boys came up with
Debating which posts are more cringe is not a good hill to die on chief :lol:

Ofcourse bit of common sense would say why the number is higher. One poster makes a daft claim, this is a forum with more than 1000 posters online, even if 50 posters respond to that, it will obviously be higher. It's same in any thread when one or two posters make daft claims and you will have many posters who will reply to that post.
Which proves my point, that Grealish being a world beater is not the consensus here, but him being "overrated is". In other words if couple of clowns here call Bruno "Penandes", it wouldnt suddenly mean he is "underrated".

Also if anyone rates Grealish highly not sure why they take the bait.
For the same reason why people take the bait when somebody calls him Ronaldinho regen.

This discussion is getting boring now, so I'll stop. Whether he is overrated hack or the next Garrincha are not the only extremes that exist in football. I really hope him and KdB dont click.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He had some nice touches yesterday, but ultimately did feck all yesterday goes down far to easy for me. Good player, yes he is, World class no he's not and I don't think he will ever be, don't get the hype.

roonster09

Scout
Debating which posts are more cringe is not a good hill to die on chief :lol:

Which proves my point, that Grealish being a world beater is not the consensus here, but him being "overrated is". In other words if couple of clowns here call Bruno "Penandes", it wouldnt suddenly mean he is "underrated".

For the same reason why people take the bait when somebody calls him Ronaldinho regen.

This discussion is getting boring now, so I'll stop. Whether he is overrated hack or the next Garrincha are not the only extremes that exist in football. I really hope him and KdB dont click.
Yeah and I said it takes bit of common sense to see why the number is higher on one side.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
He's a great player of course, but I still fail to see how he improves their first eleven. Obviously makes their squad depth even more insane.

Are they going to play him LM behind Sterling do we think? It left them so vulnerable to the counter yesterday.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Promising start, nearly won a penalty with a brilliant run in the early part of the game against Tottenham, it was just outside the area.

Wow, sounds like he had an amazing game then, getting fouled and nearly winning a penalty...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think people have been a bit too quick to react here and too keen to go the other way to the “Grealish is Ronaldinho reborn” crowd.

I hate to be “the truth is probably somewhere in the middle” guy but I think it probably is in this case. He’s a quality player and Pep is as good a manager as any to make a player like him perform in his system. He’s going to be judged against his fee of course but as a few others have pointed out in this thread, a lot of Grealish’s appeal to City will have been for marketing purposes and the money men at City will be using his impact there to judge him as much as his performances on the field - that’s just a fact of football these days.

I hope he flops, I really do, but I’m not going to start judging him after 1.5 matches, it just seems like asking for trouble.

bosskeano

he's a quality player and there is no denying that. hell most of us wanted him brought to United over the course of the summer especially if Pogba left.

Issue he has is where will he play and fit into that first XI? You saw the issue yesterday when City tried to play two attacking mids, one of them being Grealish, they got destroyed on the counter as he doesn't really defend well.

So that means you look to put him on the outside where they already have sterling, foden, mahrez, silva and possibly Jesus who all fit the style and system for Pep. It'll take time for them to figure things out but he'll be a good player for them. Hopefully just not enough that they walk the league.

RooneyLegend

Him, KDB and Rodri will be toying with midfields soon enough and alot in this thread will be looking stupid.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I agree with a lot of your points regarding him but it can happen 2 things for him under Guardiola. Or he completely improves those weaknesses he has and under that system he will be a top 5 or 10 player in the world or restricted to a style of play where he will be restricted to certain areas and he will have to respect more his positions in the pitch instead floating freely around the pitch like he did at Villa he might suffer there.

I already said something who might be ridiculous to some who watched football in the 90’s but here it goes.

I don’t see on him a bigger natural talent than Balakov or Mostovoi,he certainly doesn’t give me the same vibe as Rui Costa between 96/98 or Figo between 98/2000.

And if we want to raise the bar, compared to Michael Laudrup or Zinedine Zidane he is miles away.

But we’re on unknown territory here knowing he will play in one of the best squads in the planet, under a specific coach, but I doubt he will reach De Bruyne levels, I am really finding pathetic some posters labelling him as the best player in the league when in fact he hasn’t done nothing similar to De Bruyne in his career.

At best what he did for Villa last season might be compared to what De Bruyne did at…Wolfsburg.
I think he has enough qualities in the games i watched that i wouldn't be too surprised if he improves another level or two under Pep's coaching setup, and becomes a very good player for City. I'd be surprised if he reaches a De Bruyne or Silva level.

He's not as talented overall or intelligent as any of those players imo, they all established themselves as having elite vision and technique much earlier in their careers, with a lot higher abilities to dictate games with passing. To be fair didn't really see him as trying to be like that sort of "classic" attacking midfield playmaker as Zidane. His style is quite unorthodox and individualistic for current trends, so it'll be interesting to see how much that changes at city.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Definitely on another level to Penandes.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
I'm a bitter Villa fan and even I don't want him to fail as much as some people here. This thread has always been a bit weird. He was decent yesterday in an off-kilter team. People writing him, and more crucially, City, off at this stage are in for a rude awakening I feel. They're going to hit their stride soon.

lloyd2wayne

I did. General consensus on redcafe is that he is overrated and wont make much difference at City. Not that he is the second coming of Maradona.

4-5 people?
I think people have been a bit too quick to react here and too keen to go the other way to the “Grealish is Ronaldinho reborn” crowd.

I hate to be “the truth is probably somewhere in the middle” guy but I think it probably is in this case. He’s a quality player and Pep is as good a manager as any to make a player like him perform in his system. He’s going to be judged against his fee of course but as a few others have pointed out in this thread, a lot of Grealish’s appeal to City will have been for marketing purposes and the money men at City will be using his impact there to judge him as much as his performances on the field - that’s just a fact of football these days.

I hope he flops, I really do, but I’m not going to start judging him after 1.5 matches, it just seems like asking for trouble.
asking for trouble that
Him, KDB and Rodri will be toying with midfields soon enough and alot in this thread will be looking stupid.
you hope huh? Hopefully you aren’t a Manchester United fan.

lloyd2wayne

I'm a bitter Villa fan and even I don't want him to fail as much as some people here. This thread has always been a bit weird. He was decent yesterday in an off-kilter team. People writing him, and more crucially, City, off at this stage are in for a rude awakening I feel. They're going to hit their stride soon.
You know this a United forum right? “You don’t want him to fail as much as people in here”. Ofcourse we want him to fail . He’s a rival player and not the superstar you think.

roonster09

Scout
ManUtd fans want City player to fail? Not sure what reason they might have.

romufc

Well, it is a United forum so it's kind of obvious.

If a United player went to Birmingham, you would want him to be amazing right?

Also, no one is writing City off, they just showed signs of weakness, which has always been there.

Its not just United fans, most fans do the same, look at City fans singing Sancho and Rashford you've let the country down...

Varun

Staff
I rate grealish very highly and love him as a player but want his career to go pear shaped now. Surely it's easy to see why?

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Well, it is a United forum so it's kind of obvious.

If a United player went to Birmingham, you would want him to be amazing right?

Also, no one is writing City off, they just showed signs of weakness, which has always been there.

Its not just United fans, most fans do the same, look at City fans singing Sancho and Rashford you've let the country down...
I think it's less to do with him being a City player now and more to do with people wanting to be vindicated on their "he's overrated" stance. It was the same during the Euros while he was still a Villa player and probably would have been the same had he went to Chelsea or something.

romufc

I think it's less to do with him being a City player now and more to do with people wanting to be vindicated on their "he's overrated" stance. It was the same during the Euros while he was still a Villa player and probably would have been the same had he went to Chelsea or something.
There is a case of that too, people do go over the top with Grealish as if he's Messi. He is a £100m player. You are talking generational talents for that price.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
There is a case of that too, people do go over the top with Grealish as if he's Messi. He is a £100m player. You are talking generational talents for that price.
Or just very good English players. There's always that premium. Or you know, Coutinho :D