Jack Grealish | Man City

lloyd2wayne

Players often take a year to get accustomed to Pep’s way of playing. Bernardo, Gundogan, Cancelo, Mahrez - All had pretty limited opportunities in their first year before becoming key players.

Anyone writing off Grealish is a fool.
You are the fool for overhyping him and trying to come up with excuses for why he’s not that great.

Grealish hasn’t had limited opportunities, he literally started their first game in the community shield and every game since till he got injured.

Bearded One

He looks lost in that team any time I watch him:

100 million? You’re having a laugh

Idxomer

This is for me because Aston Villa are unlikely to play 2 CAM in the same team with a single CDM like Man City can. He used to drift in to LAM positions, I just had a feeling he would start in that position for City.

He was never a goalscorer and more a creator from wide, who is he going to set up? How is he going to score alot?
I think he's better at dribbling and carrying the ball from the left. When he received the ball from deep with Aston Villa which was usually out of necessity, he gravitated towards the left. He isn't someone who could play constantly through balls or low crosses from the middle like KDB.

He will never score a lot but should be getting more assists.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
What I find weird is why is Pep playing Grealish as a LW for City?

Wasn't the inverted wingers in Pep's games mostly goalscorers or forwards like Pedro, David Villa, Robben and Ribery, Sterling and Sane?

Grealish was never a wonderful goalscorer or even a tap in merchant - he seems wasted out wide as a LW making him take people on in the same angle in the same way especially when the whole opposition team is parking the bus against the team that always have possesion aswell.
Actually, Ribery was a playmaker who just happened to prefer playing on the left wing. And from what I've seen of Grealish he's the same type of player, just not on Ribery's level

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Actually, Ribery was a playmaker who just happened to prefer playing on the left wing. And from what I've seen of Grealish he's the same type of player, just not on Ribery's level
I mean I knew that, I just added Robben and Ribery to keep it simple (since Robben was a more prominent inverted winger that could score), he also used Gotze sometimes from LW didn't he?

With a striker like Lewandowski then I think that creative aspect is useful than say if you play Gotze as a false 9.

It's why I'm not fussed at Grealish, there is hardly a striker for someone like him to do his drifting and creative thing - City are better for me when Sterling is tapping in goals from one side which he has done for a long time now.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I mean I knew that, I just added Robben and Ribery to keep it simple (since Robben was a more prominent inverted winger that could score), he also used Gotze sometimes from LW didn't he?

With a striker like Lewandowski then I think that creative aspect is useful than say if you play Gotze as a false 9.

It's why I'm not fussed at Grealish, there is hardly a striker for someone like him to do his drifting and creative thing - City are better for me when Sterling is tapping in goals from one side which he has done for a long time now.
Perhaps they were still banking on the Kane transfer happening during the negotiations with Grealish, dunno

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Grealish will never have the physical abilities Ribery had on top of his other toolsets. That's the problem, Guardiola is lacking players who can go straight down the wing and Grealish can't bring that. Why would Guardiola drop Foden or Bernardo SIlva (who's the best City player since the beginning of the season despite some City fans here who said Grealish was a superior player) for Grealish?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Grealish will never have the physical abilities Ribery had on top of his other toolsets. That's the problem, Guardiola is lacking players who can go straight down the wing and Grealish can't bring that. Why would Guardiola drop Foden or Bernardo SIlva (who's the best City player since the beginning of the season despite some City fans here who said Grealish was a superior player) for Grealish?
You just mentioned 2 of them :confused: There's Sterling and Jesus as well.

A team like City isn't lacking for pace... It's just that pace becomes less useful when you face parked 747s every week.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
You just mentioned 2 of them :confused: There's Sterling and Jesus as well.

A team like City isn't lacking for pace... It's just that pace becomes less useful when you face parked 747s every week.
I think he lacks wingers than can outrun defenders and cross, that's why he plays Jesus on the right ring prettty often in my opinion. That's pretty much the opposite of what Grealish brings to the table.

poleglass red

which ones?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
which ones?
Ribery? He was the full package, fast, strong, smart (on the pitch), great finisher and passer, he was everything you looked for in a modern winger. Ribery had seasons with 15+ goals and 20+assists (including one at 24). He was absolutely huge for Bayern and deserved a Ballon d'or for his 11/12 season (he would have one had the voting rules been what they are right now). Grealish is REALLY far from boxing in the same category.

RuudTom83

Transfer fees are more the value he was to the club you are buying him from. For Villa he was a 100 million asset, obviously at City he isn't worth 100 million to them. But he if picks up a League or CL medal at the end of the season then no one will care about his cost...except jealous rival fans.

lloyd2wayne

Where are all the clowns who where drooling over him and bringing our own players down(Sancho, Bruno). For anyone to have watched this guy and claim he is world class was baffling.

The most overrated English player in the last ten years and that’s saying something. I’m very glad we didn’t get him. 100 million my ass.

The next Ronaldinho, the most entertaining footballer, generational talent, hahahahaha.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He’s been awful. Crazy how many of the top 10 most expensive signings have proven to be big flops.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Never saw him as a fit for City, argued with a few here in the summer who thought it was the end of the world.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Where are all the clowns who where drooling over him and bringing our own players down(Sancho, Bruno). For anyone to have watched this guy and claim he is world class was baffling.

The most overrated English player in the last ten years and that’s saying something. I’m very glad we didn’t get him. 100 million my ass.

The next Ronaldinho, the most entertaining footballer, generational talent, hahahahaha.
Were people on here actually saying this stuff?.

AshRK

This is their Sanchez transfer. Just that city as a team are strong so this won't be scrutinized that much

The United

Was wondering why his thread had been disappeared for a few weeks earlier.

Gliding around getting fouled would help us more or something and better than Bruno by some usual nonsense spouters. Funny if he was here, he probably would not have fitted in with RR.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I wouldn't write him off as some are doing here. One just needs to remember Bernardo Silva or Cancelo first season there and what was said about them too. Different team, where he isn't the best player where everything that happens goes through him. Next season he will be much better, and he hasn't been as bad as it looks.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Were people on here actually saying this stuff?.
Sadly yes. Most talented English player, best in the league, etc.

He's a good player but I said it in the summer, he's not better than Gundogan, De bruyne, Bernardo Silva, Sterling for his role... Foden has since also surpassed him. He's about Mahrez's level IMO, although Mahrez stylistically suits them more.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I wouldn't write him off as some are doing here. One just needs to remember Bernardo Silva or Cancelo first season there and what was said about them too. Different team, where he isn't the best player where everything that happens goes through him. Next season he will be much better, and he hasn't been as bad as it looks.
Guardiola will leave in 2023 at the latest, not impossible he does in 2022 if he has a setback in the CL, what's next?

Grealish is just too slow to be a winger at the highest level, his workrate is too low and it'll not change at 27. His only chance is a spot in the midfield.

The United

He is not some 21 years old though.

You can't change a player at 26-27 much if any at all. But, if a different coach uses a different system, he might be a bit more useful. But next Ronaldinho would never happen.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is a very good player who has chosen the wrong club. He carried Villa at times. Their win percentage without him was woeful!

His style and his strengths aren’t what Pep teams are expected to do. Maybe he thought he could iron out those habits, who knows.

It’s ridiculous to say he is not a good player though. He has proven his quality for years before going to City. It’s just a bad match.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Guardiola will leave in 2023 at the latest, not impossible he does in 2022 if he has a setback in the CL, what's next?

Grealish is just too slow to be a winger at the highest level, his workrate is too low and it'll not change at 27. His only chance is a spot in the midfield.
How do you know he will leave... don't tell me he is going to replace Pochettino? ;)
He is not some 21 years old though.

You can't change a player at 26-27 much if any at all. But, if a different coach uses a different system, he might be a bit more useful. But next Ronaldinho would never happen.
Who said that nonsense? Not even Villa fans said such things.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
It’s just going as most sensible people said it would, no more and no less. He is a good player perhaps a great player in form but not an outstanding one.

The player himself isn’t worth anywhere near 100 mil for city. They are over saturated in AMs for one and the other being there was never that ability to improve the team by 100 million. He is worth half his fee in todays market.

RuudTom83

Don't think he will care to much if he ends the season with a medal around his neck.

The thing with a 100 million transfer fee is...you cant pay it back in half a season. Need to wait 2 seasons before writing him off.