Jack Grealish | Man City

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Even City doesn't pay £100m for depth/rotation.

He's a very good player in the right setup, but I'm still confused as to how people managed to convince themselves he was/is a generational talent. Players like him come along on the regular, there's nothing really special about him.
Doesn’t help that almost any talented (youngish) player is being called a generational talent nowadays.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Why is this thread bumped for no particular reason? He just came back from injury

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
This forum loves City, no need to get worked up by one thread of criticism.
I just find it weird, it genuinly feels like people just check results without seeing games and then forms opinions.
Haaland thread after the Bournemouth game is already a classic in that regard

GlasgowCeltic

Pep tried him in centre mid when he first signed and he was terrible, then Bernardo stayed, literally been no point to him being there ever since

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Hasn’t been injured for 16 months now
He has been good for us, and more importantly he has never been poor. He has so far followed the trajectory of every forward signing Pep has ever made other than maybe Nolito and Jesus who both delivered good numbers from the get-go. New signings usually gets intructed to be much safer in their decisionmaking until they get the system down as second nature. Then, usually after a season they get license to bring back more of their own attributes. Mahrez has been through it, Bernardo has been through it and Grealish has had a better first season than both in my opinion.

People are just desperate for him to fail which given it's a United forum is fair enough but there is more than enough City fans that doesn't seem to learn either. I think his face just rubs people the wrong way

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I get that… I just think there’s a very good player in there. Not sure city was the best move for him.
In terms of winning titles going to City was the best move. But there were always huge question marks over how he'd fit in there as their respective styles clash quite a bit. If it ultimately works it'll be huge for both he and the club as they end up strengthening each other, but they also run the risk of it ending up a costly mistake.

I'm still pissed about that huge VAR mistake where they missed the ball going over the line, a stuff-up that (in theory at least) was the defining factor in Villa not being relegated in 19/20. If they get relegated we sign him instead of Donny, and I have little doubt that he'd have been fantastic for us.

ForeverRed1

In terms of winning titles going to City was the best move. But there were always huge question marks over how he'd fit in there as their respective styles clash quite a bit. If it ultimately works it'll be huge for both he and the club as they end up strengthening each other, but they also run the risk of it ending up a costly mistake.

I'm still pissed about that huge VAR mistake where they missed the ball going over the line, a stuff-up that (in theory at least) was the defining factor in Villa not being relegated in 19/20. If they get relegated we sign him instead of Donny, and I have little doubt that he'd have been fantastic for us.
On a trophy count perspective it really was a no brainer of course.. but he could sit on the bench all season and still win trophies with this team, so maybe it is a little hollow, maybe he doesn’t care.. he’s picking up millions and part of a winning squad..

if he’s of come here he would of been a starter most weeks and racking up minutes.. but it wasn’t to be.

wouldn’t be surprised if he moves again in 2 seasons time or so

Trequarista10

Pep tried him in centre mid when he first signed and he was terrible, then Bernardo stayed, literally been no point to him being there ever since
Yeah, don't think he really suits City's setup at all. Think he's best cutting in from the left and dropping deeper to collect the ball and carry it forwards, whereas City have him generally starting high and wide on the left. He can beat a full back in those positions, or play the little passes with full back and LCM that City are drilled in to get past defences, but he's not an improvement on Sterling in that regard, who is also better at making late runs into the box. His best attributes at Villa were carrying the ball from the halfway line, or cutting inside and shooting/crossing from the edge of the box, neither of which he is demonstrating at City.

Bwuk

Could see him leaving this summer. City don’t mess around and keep players too long who haven’t worked out.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I really wanted United to get him but yeah he’s been underwhelming.

He’s likely worth £50-60m.
I think that he was and still is a better fit for us. I didn't like the fee but the player is fine.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Still, you're not "coming back from an injury" when you've been out for two weeks with a knock, it's not long enough to affect match fitness.
Call it what you want, the fact is that he coming back into the squad after he being out with a injury

Last edited:

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
A generational talent and the English Ronaldinho some said last summer. They were in tears when City got him and we would see and behold his talent as he would show us within a few matches how wrong the doubters were...

heh.

Bobski

He would've fit us like a glove.
How?

He is a guy who needs to monopolize the ball, works when you are the big fish but if you want a develop into a top team where does he fit in?

Can't do much for England either so it is not as if it is a one off.

Jezpeza

Just a classic case of a guy who looks amazing in a small team when they completely play through him and aim to give him the ball every time they get possession but disappears when he becomes a cog in the machine. Zaha another example

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How?

He is a guy who needs to monopolize the ball, works when you are the big fish but if you want a develop into a top team where does he fit in?

Can't do much for England either so it is not as if it is a one off.
I don't think that he needs to monopolize the ball. And I think that he would have been a better for us because we needed a strong ball carrier, all teams do and we didn't until hopefully Antony.

Stacks

He's all image. He's always been overhyped to the extreme.
wearing your socks low and an alice band makes you a top flairy continental player
He has been good for us, and more importantly he has never been poor. He has so far followed the trajectory of every forward signing Pep has ever made other than maybe Nolito and Jesus who both delivered good numbers from the get-go. New signings usually gets intructed to be much safer in their decisionmaking until they get the system down as second nature. Then, usually after a season they get license to bring back more of their own attributes. Mahrez has been through it, Bernardo has been through it and Grealish has had a better first season than both in my opinion.

People are just desperate for him to fail which given it's a United forum is fair enough but there is more than enough City fans that doesn't seem to learn either. I think his face just rubs people the wrong way
6 goals 4 assists is the lowest return of the 3 :houllier:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Grealish has been living the life and has no intention of buckling down and grafting for a place in the side.

His application is the bigger concern than his aptitude at the minute, I'd say.

City have purchased someone who is intoxicated by the off the field trappings. Not sure he'd have been the same for us because he would have been a permanent fixture in our side and had every ounce of faith placed in him where as at City it's meh if he's there or not, which he clearly responds terribly to.