Jack Grealish | Man City

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Simple, England international. Certain lads are off limits to the media and in fairness Rashford probably benefitted a bit from this last season. Just look at the media wankfest over Harry Kane today.
So it's not about race then.

Jam

That is the point. Grealish has been getting slaughtered everywhere as well since his debut against Spurs last season and up to now. A United fan will notice the Antony criticism and a City fan will notice the Grealish stuff. They are both probably better than the narrative around them at the moment
Agreed.

I don’t get this “why is no one criticising Grealish” narrative when he’s been getting criticised his entire time at City…

And to be honest he’s been better than the criticism let’s on. Albeit not as good as he should have been.

Grealish is white British. Will always get an easy ride with the press etc.

See the difference in Sterling and Rashford’s media treatment compared to say, Foden and Grealish.
Sterling and Rashford escape a lot of deserved criticism from sports press.

They get hammered by general tabloid press though. And that is definitely to do with race and political affiliation. Let’s be frank, Sterling and Rashford weren’t criticised for bad performances like they should have been; they were criticised for being black, having tattoos, feeding kids and criticising the government.

bringbackbebe

1. Jack Grealish gets the ball
2. Foul Jack Grealish
3. Jack Grealish goes to ground & wins a free kick
4. Rinse & Repeat

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Simple, England international. Certain lads are off limits to the media and in fairness Rashford probably benefitted a bit from this last season. Just look at the media wankfest over Harry Kane today.
The idea that England internationals don’t get criticism is mental to me. They get more than anyone on this forum as they’re seen as not cultured enough.

look at how Rashford was treated on this forum for years.

He was alright yesterday, half the Spurs team would have seen second yellows for fouling him if the referee did his job properly. Im just always astounded by how little magic City have in the side for all the money they've spent. Grealish is the most likely to conjure something and that's saying a lot.

When the signing happened we all knew he wouldn't fit in there. Are we all surprised now?

Mike Smalling

He was alright yesterday, half the Spurs team would have seen second yellows for fouling him if the referee did his job properly. Im just always astounded by how little magic City have in the side for all the money they've spent. Grealish is the most likely to conjure something and that's saying a lot.

When the signing happened we all knew he wouldn't fit in there. Are we all surprised now?
I think it's pretty clear that Mahrez is a lot more likely to conjure something than Grealish.

Watching Grealish yesterday, it actually looked like he was more interested in being fouled than creating something for the team. It looks like he is on mission to be the most fouled player in the league. It's different to games I've seen with great dribblers that are constantly hacked down because they are a threat - Grealish seeks it out.

SteveCoppellFan

Watched short highlights from the game yesterday and the only thing that stuck in my head was Grealish deliberately making contact with the Spurs player and theatrically throwing himself to the floor and jumping up moaning at the ref until the player was sent off.

Why any player would do that is beyond me but each to their own i suppose.

He seems to spend more time perfecting how to get free kicks than he does assisting or scoring goals.

I think it's pretty clear that Mahrez is a lot more likely to conjure something than Grealish.

Watching Grealish yesterday, it actually looked like he was more interested in being fouled than creating something for the team. It looks like he is on mission to be the most fouled player in the league. It's different to games I've seen with great dribblers that are constantly hacked down because they are a threat - Grealish seeks it out.
Which says something because both of them should really be backups for a team of City's supposed level. Individually they are looking less and less of a threat as time goes by.

Grealish has always drawn fouls. It's the way he plays and Pep should have known he always likes to hold the ball longer than he should.

GlasgowCeltic

he comes across like a nice harmless enough guy but he’s definitely not a driven player, he seems very accepting of his minimal contribution role at City. In fairness he fits Utd way more and it’s clearly the move he wanted/was expecting

Oranges038

Watched short highlights from the game yesterday and the only thing that stuck in my head was Grealish deliberately making contact with the Spurs player and theatrically throwing himself to the floor and jumping up moaning at the ref until the player was sent off.

Why any player would do that is beyond me but each to their own i suppose.

He seems to spend more time perfecting how to get free kicks than he does assisting or scoring goals.
My thoughts too, he should have been booked for diving.

He seems to hold the ball too long and go looking for fouls when just playing it simple or dribbling past the player is a better option.

Mike Smalling

Which says something because both of them should really be backups for a team of City's supposed level. Individually they are looking less and less of a threat as time goes by.
I think that's a bit harsh on Mahrez, who got 24 goals and 9 assists last season. Sure, this season hasn't been as good, but he is a top quality player in my opinion. I do agree that Grealish is more back-up level for a team like City, though.

I think that's a bit harsh on Mahrez, who got 24 goals and 9 assists last season. Sure, this season hasn't been as good, but he is a top quality player in my opinion. I do agree that Grealish is more back-up level for a team like City, though.
He was signed as a backup though. Despite the signing fee which is an irrelevance for Pep and City, that first season he played half his games from the bench. He's done very well and continually forces his way into the side but he has never fully cemented himself as a first choice.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He was signed as a backup though. Despite the signing fee which is an irrelevance for Pep and City, that first season he played half his games from the bench. He's done very well and continually forces his way into the side but he has never fully cemented himself as a first choice.
Pep just likes to rotate his wide forwards.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Congratulations to Grealish for scoring his 3rd goal in all competitions this season following his £100m move to City to play as a left wing forward in 2021.

Lecland07

It has taken a bit of time, but he seems to be becoming quite an important player now. The performances started getting a lot better a while ago, but he is now creating again.

8 assists (all competitions) since the world cup is good. Think they said he is top, or joint-top at least, for that period.

I think it shows you can't write a player off quickly.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
It has taken a bit of time, but he seems to be becoming quite an important player now. The performances started getting a lot better a while ago, but he is now creating again.

8 assists (all competitions) since the world cup is good. Think they said he is top, or joint-top at least, for that period.

I think it shows you can't write a player off quickly.
He doesn't slow the pace down any more or dawdle for ages on the ball. When he receives it, he makes quicker decisions because he's more used to the system and the habits and movements of his teammates.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm not watching but I'll always be gutted we prioritised Donny and then Sancho over him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Wish that Southgate used Grealish at CAM more and Rashford at LW.

England lack creativity through the middle & he is the best England’s got IMO.

Bellingham - Rice
Grealish
Saka/Foden - Kane - Rashford​

is the best balanced IMO.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Wish that Southgate used Grealish at CAM more and Rashford at LW.

England lack creativity through the middle & he is the best England’s got IMO.
He is one of the most right footed player I have seen playing at the top level.