Jack Grealish | Man City

Rojofiam

Proof that Man Utd is becoming more and more irrelevant with each passing transfer window. Top English players don't want to join anymore. City or Chelsea it is.
Funniest thing about this horrible take is that Grealish would've 100% chosen us over City had we been in for him :lol:

Rojofiam

Not buying this 'dream' move nonsense. I can't imagine anyone who has dreamed of playing for City.

If Villa had crept into champions League last season he'd still be there.
He's a United fan :lol: When he was dreaming as a kid, City were in the Championship or a PL relegation fight

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's not a world record fee. And he's definitely not as good as Eden Hazard despite the overrating on the caf
Will be interesting to see Grealish vs Hazard thread, I mean not their careers but who is better player on their day.

TsuWave

this is madness. Grealish is a good player but he hasn’t accomplished anything, nor does he possess the commercial or sporting profile for these wages yet

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The hype is also partially because he is the next Beckham and saviour, at least going by the media and general public, combined with his good looks, you get hype and hysteria everywhere. Kane going to City wont be half as much
Even his looks are overrated. Definitely no Beckham in that regard.

amolbhatia50k

Will be interesting to see Grealish vs Hazard thread, I mean not their careers but who is better player on their day.
As of now Grealish is a baby in comparison. I think Hazard was already the best player in the French league before he even came to the PL? Then he was the best player here for a few years too. Shame due to injuries his career as a top top wasn't (it seems ?) as prolonged post 26 as it should have been.

roonster09

Scout
As of now Grealish is a baby in comparison. I think Hazard was already the best player in the French league before he even came to the PL? Then he was the best player here for a few years too. Shame due to injuries his career as a top top wasn't (it seems ?) as prolonged post 26 as it should have been.
Yeah I know but when you see how people rate Grealish, I wouldn't be surprised if few think he is better than Hazard on their best days.

I mean look at Sancho, he was one of the best players in Bundesliga for 3 years, but for some reason people think we should have signed Grealish even though Sancho was better than him for 3 seasons and also actually addresses our weak position.

If someone was in coma for few years, they would have thought we are talking about Zidane/Ronaldinho in this thread.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
this is madness. Grealish is a good player but he hasn’t accomplished anything, nor does he possess the commercial or sporting profile for these wages yet
It's a bizarre deal, Grealish just isn't that good imo and will be benched mainly by Christmas. This deal will work out as well as Coutinho did for Barcelona.

City owners lost the plot after losing CL final?

TsuWave

And we would have been able to sign him as a result, had we truly needed him. But Sancho is a better signing - younger, IMO more talented and plays in a position we lack quality in.
Agreed. I was always Sancho > Grealish if we had to choose. The numbers involved are also ridiculous.

acolyte

this is an example of a lot of the problems we have here in the UK, looking at stats and thinking they mean much.
As opposed to making judgements based on gut feelings? I'd sooner trust the numbers and his actual body of work, thanks.

The White Pele

I find the reaction of some Villa fans quite surprising. If you leave your boyhood club to go to the best team in England, I can’t really think of a better way to do it than helping your club get promoted to the PL, staying to help them stabilise in the PL, signing a new contract with a massive release clause to guarantee your club gets a large fee for your transfer and then leaving without any noise or fuss on good terms with the club. What more could he really have done?

The argument from some Villa fans that they’re going to challenge and Grealish should have stayed to be a part of it is a bit naive. Realistically, even with Grealish, they are odds against to qualify for the Champions League this coming season. There is a chasm between them and City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool which would have been very difficult to bridge. For Villa fans to claim they would finish top 4 actually shows a level of arrogance and is dismissive of other clubs such as Leicester and Arsenal who finished above them last season.

Assuming they wouldn’t finish top 4 this coming season you are then effectively asking Grealish to stick around for the (still unlikely) prospect of playing Champions League football with Villa in the 23/24 season. And even in that case you still wouldn’t expect them to have a realistic chance of winning the thing which he has now at City.

Moreover, if Villa really do have such ambitions, how long will it be before they decide Dean Smith is not the man to take them there and then go through another building phase with a new manager.

Grealish has done the right thing for his career ultimately and has also done right by Villa.

It’s just a shame he’s going to City.

Becks00

I don't disagree. And Iniesta was valuable for Pep's Barcelona team for the same reason. Grealish and Foden are both better ball carriers than anyone City have had since prime Silva.
I would like to ask where Pogba ranks in terms of ball carriers in the league and more specifically how does he compare to Grealish in that particular quality. Because I do think Pogba himself is an excellent ball carrier and one of the major reasons why I don't feel we needed Grealish if he was staying. I do also think that Grealish is a more efficient one, that is, Pogba is more a Ronaldinho type (using skills and the likes to beat players while Grealish is more an Iniesta, Messi type, just gliding past players). Would like to read people's view regarding this, which type of dribblers or ball carriers would you prefer and which do you think is more effective.

As for the league title, people need to realize no matter how good the quality of players City sign, it's still only going to be a marginal improvement to their team. The catch up effect of our own signings due to the base we are starting from will inevitably lead to us closing the gap. The one thing City have been very good at, that makes them consistently favourite for the league is their ability to defeat teams they are expected to consistently and it's the one thing I believe Ole has identified and is resolving subject to the limits of the financial resources at his disposal.

Our signings of Sancho and Varane incredibly helps our chances of defeating this smaller teams consistently because Sancho helps us create more chances while Varane helps us push the defensive line higher, there by hopefully helping us become more dominant in these games and also plucks the set pieces leak that keeps derailing us against these teams last season.

Is quite clear we are closing the gap on them, we might not still be able to match them in a one match face off, but we quite clearly are gathering the tools necessary to dispatch teams 4-5 nil regularly as they do, and would probably lead to us being able to accumulate the points needed to compete for the league. Their signing of Grealish (a fine player that he is, one of my favourites to watch) doesn't really impact their ability to annihilate this teams consistently to accumulate the needed points or if it does, it's only marginally, as they are already excellent at it but our signings do significantly impact our ability to beat those teams.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
This transfer makes me a bit sad about the current state of football. Such a great player, who would star for so many teams, going to a club where he will end up in rotation. And at the same time a club paying such a huge amount of money for a player that will only marginally improve them given the squad now.. Sickening state of football..

acolyte

It's a bizarre deal, Grealish just isn't that good imo and will be benched mainly by Christmas. This deal will work out as well as Coutinho did for Barcelona.

City owners lost the plot after losing CL final?
I was just wondering which €100mil or more player you could actually call a success. You've got (from Wikipedia):

Neymar (to PSG)-€222
Mbappe (PSG)-180
Coutinho (Barca)-145
Felix (Atletico)-126
Griezmann (Barca)-120
Dembele (Barca)-117
Pogba (Man Utd)-105
Hazard (Real Madrid)-100
Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus)-100
Bale (Real Madrid)-100

Which of those is an unqualified success? Maybe Mbappe at a stretch? And he's about to leave on a free after winding down his contract. Ronaldo has been ok for Juve but certainly not value for money. Bale was excellent in spurts but never established himself at Madrid. The less said about the Barcelona players on that list the better. Even Neymar hasn't done what he was brought in to do, which is win the Champions League (unless you think his main purpose was to increase Qatar's profile, which, fair enough).

Hammondo

As opposed to making judgements based on gut feelings? I'd sooner trust the numbers and his actual body of work, thanks.
No you based things off the full context. You watch the games, it will tell you far more than numbers.

Hammondo

I was just wondering which €100mil or more player you could actually call a success. You've got (from Wikipedia):

Neymar (to PSG)-€222
Mbappe (PSG)-180
Coutinho (Barca)-145
Felix (Atletico)-126
Griezmann (Barca)-120
Dembele (Barca)-117
Pogba (Man Utd)-105
Hazard (Real Madrid)-100
Bale (Real Madrid)-100

Which of those is an unqualified success? Maybe Mbappe at a stretch? And he's about to leave on a free after winding down his contract. Ronaldo has been ok for Juve but certainly not value for money. Bale was excellent in spurts but never established himself at Madrid. The less said about the Barcelona players on that list the better. Even Neymar hasn't done what he was brought in to do, which is win the Champions League (unless you think his main purpose was to increase Qatar's profile, which, fair enough).
Just Ronaldo tbh.

Eternitiy

This transfer, Grealish to City over United, can be viewed as akin to United losing out on Ronaldinho to Barcelona in 2003. Missing out on one of football's great entertainers. What a tragedy.

amolbhatia50k

This transfer, Grealish to City over United, can be viewed as akin to United losing out on Ronaldinho to Barcelona in 2003. Missing out on one of football's great entertainers. What a tragedy.
:lol:

The Firestarter

Go cry at the gates of Old Trafford

roonster09

Scout

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Zen86

We’ve had a decent summer so far, the babies needed something to cry about. Grealish going to City was perfect timing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I would like to ask where Pogba ranks in terms of ball carriers in the league and more specifically how does he compare to Grealish in that particular quality. Because I do think Pogba himself is an excellent ball carrier and one of the major reasons why I don't feel we needed Grealish if he was staying. I do also think that Grealish is a more efficient one, that is, Pogba is more a Ronaldinho type (using skills and the likes to beat players while Grealish is more an Iniesta, Messi type, just gliding past players). Would like to read people's view regarding this, which type of dribblers or ball carriers would you prefer and which do you think is more effective.

As for the league title, people need to realize no matter how good the quality of players City sign, it's still only going to be a marginal improvement to their team. The catch up effect of our own signings due to the base we are starting from will inevitably lead to us closing the gap. The one thing City have been very good at, that makes them consistently favourite for the league is their ability to defeat teams they are expected to consistently and it's the one thing I believe Ole has identified and is resolving subject to the limits of the financial resources at his disposal.

Our signings of Sancho and Varane incredibly helps our chances of defeating this smaller teams consistently because Sancho helps us create more chances while Varane helps us push the defensive line higher, there by hopefully helping us become more dominant in these games and also plucks the set pieces leak that keeps derailing us against these teams last season.

Is quite clear we are closing the gap on them, we might not still be able to match them in a one match face off, but we quite clearly are gathering the tools necessary to dispatch teams 4-5 nil regularly as they do, and would probably lead to us being able to accumulate the points needed to compete for the league. Their signing of Grealish (a fine player that he is, one of my favourites to watch) doesn't really impact their ability to annihilate this teams consistently to accumulate the needed points or if it does, it's only marginally, as they are already excellent at it but our signings do significantly impact our ability to beat those teams.
In terms of per 90min in their domestic leagues last season:

Dribbles attempted: Grealish 3.83, Pogba 3.51, Sancho 7.12

Dribbles success rate: Grealish 65.6%, Pogba 60.8%, Sancho 55.8%

Total distance carried: Grealish 396.6, Pogba 258.6, Sancho 327.6

Progressive distance carried: Grealish 237.0, Pogba 141.4, Sancho 188.6

Though I'm sure the positions they play also impact those stats. They aren't exactly like-for-like.

acolyte

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Neymar (to PSG)-€222
Mbappe (PSG)-180
Coutinho (Barca)-145
Felix (Atletico)-126
Griezmann (Barca)-120
Dembele (Barca)-117
Pogba (Man Utd)-105
Hazard (Real Madrid)-100
Bale (Real Madrid)-100

Ronaldo has scored around similar amount of goals for Juventus as Mbappe for PSG over past 3 years, and he is cheaper. If Mbappe is unqualified success, so is Ronaldo.

marktan

Yeah I know but when you see how people rate Grealish, I wouldn't be surprised if few think he is better than Hazard on their best days.

I mean look at Sancho, he was one of the best players in Bundesliga for 3 years, but for some reason people think we should have signed Grealish even though Sancho was better than him for 3 seasons and also actually addresses our weak position.

If someone was in coma for few years, they would have thought we are talking about Zidane/Ronaldinho in this thread.
I think too many people get hung up on stats with Grealish and Sancho, I've watched both a lot Grealish is clearly the better player.

With both of them now at a top team I'd bet significant money that Grealish outperforms Sancho in most metrics.

roonster09

Scout
I think too many people get hung up on stats with Grealish and Sancho, I've watched both a lot Grealish is clearly the better player.

With both of them now at a top team I'd bet significant money that Grealish outperforms Sancho in most metrics.
They don't play in Romanian second division, both play in top leagues. So most here watched them play and rate from what they saw.

romufc

What's the difference between stats and metrics?

saivet

The only real positive I can take from this transfer is that if he does well as a no.8 this will at least make Southgate consider him for that role in the World Cup next year.

Devil81

Pep claiming Grealish cost them 40 million because they've made 60 million in transfer fee's.

I'd love to know where that 60 million has come from. I can only see 34 million on transfmrkt.