Jack Grealish | Man City

Green_Red

Still not sure why Barca didn't sign him as a replacement for Messi once they knew he was leaving

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
They're better as well. They're both way more dynamic and can change the tempo of a game. Grealish doesn't have that in him. He plays the game at walking pace
Early days. It always takes players half a season to year before they get going under Pep, very few players hit it off right away under him. City have had a run of difficult fixture with him still in the adjustment phase. I seen certain things he brings to the team and part of the reason why they wanted him, equally he has certain habits that I'm sure Pep doesn't like, but right now I'd wait before giving any verdict, it took Mahrez a year to year and a half to adjust to Pep demands when he came from Leicester.

Skills

Snitch
Early days. It always takes players half a season to year before they get going under Pep, very few players hit it off right away under him. City have had a run of difficult fixture with him still in the adjustment phase. I seen certain things he brings to the team and part of the reason why they wanted him, equally he has certain habits that I'm sure Pep doesn't like, but right now I'd wait before giving any verdict, it took Mahrez a year to year and a half to adjust to Pep demands when he came from Leicester.
But Mahrez finds himself on City's chopping block quite often? Grealish is a sure starter now mainly because he's City's new WR signing, once that freshness wears off - i think Grealish will find himself on the bench quite often too.

I can't see him establishing himself as one of the first names on the team sheet - like KDB, David Silva & Aguero were (and even Sterling up until very recently). I'll see him more along the lines of Sane, Mahrez and co who find themselves on Pep's merry-go-round.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
He'd really shine here tbh, won't work at City with their system and Pep I think.

cyberman

He'd really shine here tbh, won't work at City with their system and Pep I think.
Can’t see how even slower play would work at Utd. If anything it’s the opposite and we’ll see that when Marcus comes back v Leicester.

Zen86

Over 30% of City’s revenues are attributed to Grealish’ shirt sales and sponsorships. That’s 20 big ones right there

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
Over 30% of City’s revenues are attributed to Grealish’ shirt sales and sponsorships. That’s 20 big ones right there
I don’t care about your assessment of the numbers sold, who cares if you’re not a good guesser? But that’s not how it works.
The brand sellers pay an agreed fee and the club get that as a basic plus often a small percentage (circa 6%) of wholesale not retail sales above a predetermined level.
The brand sellers make nearly all of any increase in shirt sales but, in any case, shirt sales are barely increased by a club getting a big name on their books.
Essentially, if you bring in a big name then the shirt sales remail limited to those who were going to buy a shirt anyhow, they might choose to get a different name printed on it than that originally intended, but that just means that less shirts with another name get sold.

What does increase shirt sales is attractive football and current team success with heritage in the short to medium term (last 5 to 19 years) thus, after a decade of being the most successful football club in England, City shirt sales are increasing around the world, regardless of them employing Grealish.
pMore Grealish shirts will be sold but any increase in shirt sales will have come from being current champions of England etc.

The same formula applies to Ronaldo, who’s influence on the overall magnitude of utd shirt sales does, most definitely, not pay his salary.

Last edited:

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
But Mahrez finds himself on City's chopping block quite often? Grealish is a sure starter now mainly because he's City's new WR signing, once that freshness wears off - i think Grealish will find himself on the bench quite often too.

I can't see him establishing himself as one of the first names on the team sheet - like KDB, David Silva & Aguero were (and even Sterling up until very recently). I'll see him more along the lines of Sane, Mahrez and co who find themselves on Pep's merry-go-round.
And that's true. I understand people thinking he could be the next Sane/Mahrez etc but equally he could be KdB, Sterling (4 season) or Rodri people also thought these players weren't Pep type players. All I'm saying is I'll probably wait till the end of the season were I can have a better verdict of what way he'll be heading.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The question regarding Grealish is that whether the change required in his natural game would too much or not.
Can't say for sure but even before him joining City I saw him as their D Silva replacement cause he has the raw skills needed. The understanding of how to use those skills effectively at a high level... That's the open question (I think he'll be fine eventually)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
City would be a much more threatening team if they had someone like Rashford on the left instead of Grealish. He doesn't give them anything they don't have and Mahrez/Bernardo Silva are more explosive players than him so suit big teams more anyway.

KetilOwren88

Grealish, like Bruno is one of those players with charisma and the eager to express himself rather than beeing a system player. It wouldn’t surprise me if he becomes a City success, but I feel he is actually more like a United player.

lloyd2wayne

Grealish, like Bruno is one of those players with charisma and the eager to express himself rather than beeing a system player. It wouldn’t surprise me if he becomes a City success, but I feel he is actually more like a United player.
Don’t even compare Bruno to Grealish. System player? What does that even mean? What has Grealish done to be even compared to Bruno.

He’s not a United player and never will be. A good player and that’s it.

KetilOwren88

Don’t even compare Bruno to Grealish. System player? What does that even mean? What has Grealish done to be even compared to Bruno.

He’s not a United player and never will be. A good player and that’s it.
Well, he is better than a lot of our current players who have earned the right to call themselves United players. I don’t see why Grealish cannot be compared to Bruno, and anyway I am speaking more about style of play and football personality rather than abilities. A system player is excatly what is says. A player who relies on playing in a spesific kind of system, and take actions based on what he’s ment to do instead of expressing himself with more freedom.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm surprised Pep is using Grealish as a LW, I know he can do it but it's not where I thought he would be used.

I'd have kind of liked to see a CAM partnership

Grealish - Foden
Ie the replacement for David Silva.

EtH

Horror fit and I think most could see it coming a mile away. Bizarre transfer for club and player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm surprised Pep is using Grealish as a LW, I know he can do it but it's not where I thought he would be used.

I'd have kind of liked to see a CAM partnership

Grealish - Foden
Ie the replacement for David Silva.
And you want to leave out their best player by a distance in De Bruyne? Also where is the defensive positioning or work rate? Who there actually controls tempo? Grealish isn't a CM, neither is Foden. They're pure #10's or wide players. Foden really isn't much of a midfielder either and hasn't shown a whole lot of creativity IMO. He's pretty much been best as a more direct attacker for them.

Bebestation

And you want to leave out their best player by a distance in De Bruyne? Also where is the defensive positioning or work rate? Who there actually controls tempo? Grealish isn't a CM, neither is Foden. They're pure #10's or wide players. Foden really isn't much of a midfielder either and hasn't shown a whole lot of creativity IMO. He's pretty much been best as a more direct attacker for them.
Well Grealish had more experience as a CM than David Silva did pre Guardiola.

Play Grealish and De Bryune together in the middle with the intention of Foden replacing de Bryune one day. Until then play Foden out wide. I'd have liked to see Grealish as the replacement for David silva who I still feel they haven't replaced if they want to play that tactic.

Sterling - ? - Foden
Grealish - De Bryune
Rodri​

flappyjay

Grealish would have been perfect for us as upgrade on Pogba, who’s brilliant of course is very selective as to when he decides to show up. But I doesn’t fit it for City at all.
Yeah Grealish would thrive in our less structured attack and I think Sancho would better for them even though I think he is slowly finding his feet for us.

El Jefe

Someone needs to dig up that Grealish thread in the football thread last year that had a nauseating fanfare over him. I was very vocal that people were crowning him over very little but it seemed most in a hyperbole competition in there.

I've honestly never seen a player celebrated as much as Grealish had for doing so little. The hype train even spilled into the NT and somehow had fans thinking he was the next Gazza. Truly baffling stuff.

He's not a bad player by any means but it was obvious to anyone that his style at Villa completely built around him, fittjng into a top side would always be a question mark for him. I remember saying in the Grealish thread that he's no better than Bernardo Silva and got laughed at that's how ridiculous his overrating got.

Josh 76

Someone needs to dig up that Grealish thread in the football thread last year that had a nauseating fanfare over him. I was very vocal that people were crowning him over very little but it seemed most in a hyperbole competition in there.

I've honestly never seen a player celebrated as much as Grealish had for doing so little. The hype train even spilled into the NT and somehow had fans thinking he was the next Gazza. Truly baffling stuff.

He's not a bad player by any means but it was obvious to anyone that his style at Villa completely built around him, fittjng into a top side would always be a question mark for him. I remember saying in the Grealish thread that he's no better than Bernardo Silva and got laughed at that's how ridiculous his overrating got.
Your making Bernardo Silva sound like an average player.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is very good player and played well for City, also players take time to get used to the team.

Also like few others said, him trying to get fouled all the time might be annoying for Pep. It breaks the flow of the game.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I remember someone calling him English Ronaldinho :lol: . He's hyped up because he's English and he's a nice throwback to back in the days football

jamesjimmybyrondean

Play Grealish and De Bryune together in the middle with the intention of Foden replacing de Bryune one day. Until then play Foden out wide. I'd have liked to see Grealish as the replacement for David silva who I still feel they haven't replaced if they want to play that tactic.

Sterling - ? - Foden
Grealish - De Bryune
Rodri​
Yeah I thought this too. I think he can play the Silva role. I also thought he could be used as a false 9 too

Skills

Snitch
He's quite one footed isn't he? I don't think he'd be that great in the middle, because can only really turn in one direction

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Sterling - ? - Foden
Grealish - De Bryune
Rodri​
Wouldn't simply playing Gundogan be better ?

Bebestation

Wouldn't simply playing Gundogan be better ?
Yeah Gundogan is great but it was more why I thought Grealish was bought for. I didn't feel like they needed another LW when I though Gundogan was the slight more defensive option of David Silva (maybe more balanced though). That's why I thought Grealish was bought.

Looks like Grealish was a replacement for Sane/ bench time for Sterling which for 100 million is a bit questionable.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
He's quite one footed isn't he? I don't think he'd be that great in the middle, because can only really turn in one direction
David Silva is very one footed. Didn’t he play in the middle quite a bit?

As I said earlier in the thread, Grealish is never a 100m player. I don’t even think he’s a 50m player. Yet, he is a good player. I think he offers more and will offer more to City going forward if he is moved centrally. He’ll have his issues in that position too, but slow playmaker types on the wing don’t really do it for me.

of course, City can’t play KDB/ (B) Silva and Grealish in a MF together either.

Last edited: