Jack Grealish | Man City

MUW4Eva

I agree, I think it's been City's main problem.

In the UCL knockouts they don't have anyone that steps up in the big games (other than Mahrez). Aguero was never it either. I mean when a rotational player (Mahrez) that you signed 4 years ago is already your leading goal scorer in the UCL knockout stages you know you have a problem.
Look at their assists, and who is still top of that chart, and how will see that for all of City's supposed top class midfielders, they very rarely do anything of note when they see called upon.

Having Jesus as your main striker just says it all, as he is just not a striker.

allen7

Being unlucky is generally a difference between good players and top players.
Exactly this. In the first leg, Vini Jr covered half of the ground and scored a goal in a very similar angle while maintaining his run.

tomaldinho1

I don't see what Foden brings, he just doesn't do anything when the chips are down, and his need players to stand up and be counted.

He os massively overhyped for what he actually does or brings to a side.

City needed him yesterday, and what did he do, absolutely nothing.

Same for de Bruyne, he has load of hype, but mentally he is sooo weak, he cracks under pressure.
I agree re Foden being overhyped, he's very tidy on the ball but it's like they want him to be Iniesta and there's levels to being that good.

Disagree re KDB, he usually turns up in big games although he was terrible yesterday. He's also their main creator, look at chances created per 90 and it's KDB (2.46), Grealish (1.83), Gundogan (1.48), Mahrez (1.27), Sterling (1.16) then Foden on (1.14).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I was saying this last night...could you imagine if we'd signed him for that amount? Weekly articles about how hes a flop. Lukaku as well. £12m for Ronaldo was the best bit of business done by any club last summer.
I doubt it would be that bad, as he is English international, we tend to be willing to show more patience with our own English talented players (ie Sancho).

padr81

Supports
Man City
I don't see what Foden brings, he just doesn't do anything when the chips are down, and his need players to stand up and be counted.

He os massively overhyped for what he actually does or brings to a side.

City needed him yesterday, and what did he do, absolutely nothing.

Same for de Bruyne, he has load of hype, but mentally he is sooo weak, he cracks under pressure.
Thats not even remotely true, Foden has probably come up with more decisive goals for us than anyone over the last couple of seasons even Mahrez.

This season alone he scored first leg vs Real, assisted the winner vs Atletico, Scored vs Liverpool, scored the winning goals vs Brentford and Everton in 1-0's wins..
When the chips are down and games are tight Foden is usually the man who actually gets the decisive goal at City.

Scottynaldinho

He just joined this season, we have a tendency to overreact, see Mahrez, Thiago Alcantara, Stones etc.

Too early to judge and it's not like he has been bad, just hasn't been influential.

the_cliff

Thats not true, Foden has probably come up with more decisive goals for us than anyone over the last couple of seasons even Mahrez.
This season alone he scored first leg vs Real, assisted the winner vs Atletico, Scored vs Liverpool, scored the winning goals vs Brentford and Everton.

When the chips are down and games are tight Foden is usually the man who actually gets the decisive goal at City. We've had 2 1-0 wins this season both times Foden was the match winner.
I think he means in regards to the UCL, the league is your bread and butter, other than Mahrez I don't remember anyone else really scoring decisive goals consistently for you in the knockout stages and that's including Aguero and co.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think he means in regards to the UCL, the league is your bread and butter, other than Mahrez I don't remember anyone else really scoring decisive goals consistently for you in the knockout stages and that's including Aguero and co.
In the CL thats also unfair as he continuously delivers in the tight game. I'll say again Foden created the goal that beat Atletico and scored vs Real in the two biggest ties.
He scored the winner away at Dortmund and the winner at home to Dortmund last season, plus the winner in a tight game to put us through the group vs Olympiakos in Greece.

Pretty much all his CL goals have been decisive or big goals.
Of his 6 CL goals in the last two seasons 3 of them have been match winners, 1 against Real and 3 of them have been in the knockout rounds.
Of his 5 assists 3 of them have been in the KO rounds too.

He had a poor game last night for sure but Foden is one of Cities best big game players by a mile.

MUW4Eva

Yup, the Champions League is what separates the overhyped Charlies, and those who deserve to be respected, Forden, is in the overhyped category.
Where was he last night, please anyone point out how he played a pivotal role in City reaching the final....

Look who has the most assists in this season's Champions League, that is a player who stands up when needed, Forden, de Bruyne etc simply do not.

MUW4Eva

In the CL thats also unfair as he continuously delivers in the tight game. I'll say again Foden created the goal that beat Atletico and scored vs Real in the two biggest ties.
He scored the winner away at Dortmund and the winner at home to Dortmund last season, plus the winner in a tight game to put us through the group vs Olympiakos in Greece.

Pretty much all his CL goals have been decisive or big goals.
Of his 6 CL goals in the last two seasons 3 of them have been match winners, 1 against Real and 3 of them have been in the knockout rounds.
Of his 5 assists 3 of them have been in the KO rounds too.

He had a poor game last night for sure but Foden is one of Cities best big game players by a mile.
Where was this big game player last night, as please correct me, but last night was a bit game was it not, and he did once again naff all.
Hence he shouldn't be viewed as a big game player.

Kaushal

I always thought he had a personality, an arrogance and self confidence about himself but he’s turning out to be abit meek, star struck like a kid in a concert rather than standing out with his chest and feels like he belongs there. You know what I mean. I always felt he has some swagger about him at villa like he would take on the role of a main man at a big club and would fit right in but as it stands he’s shown that he is quite timid and he’s just happy to be there at city and be a part of it. He won’t be a flop but he won’t a success either at city and certainly not a player everyone thought he could be. No chance. I don’t think he has that kind of personality of a big player at a big club. Maybe big fish in a small pond type of player.

Anyone feels the same or is it just me that overrated those aspects of Grealish ?

jackal&hyde

People treated him like he is the second coming of Maradona and the price was to much. But he will come good. It's ok to take a season in to adapt to a new system. Needs to change his game a bit to be more of a team player rather then the one man show he was used to at AV.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Thats not even remotely true, Foden has probably come up with more decisive goals for us than anyone over the last couple of seasons even Mahrez.

This season alone he scored first leg vs Real, assisted the winner vs Atletico, Scored vs Liverpool, scored the winning goals vs Brentford and Everton in 1-0's wins..
When the chips are down and games are tight Foden is usually the man who actually gets the decisive goal at City.
This is the first game he's seeing Foden.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
"No one says anything" in a thread where Grealish is criticized.
If he played for United it would be front page for the next 3 days. With City and in this case Grealish, by tomorrow morning everyone would have moved on.

Zetrio2002

Grealish was obviously the wrong fit. It was quite obvious even to the untrained eyes.

City players like to run fast and pass quickly. Grealish likes to dribble and look, think and pass relatively slowly. Grealish was just incredibly lucky to be even sold to City at 100 mil.

2 seasons back, Villa almost relegated due to Grealish's slow mo playing style but somehow by some stroke of luck, Grealish saved Villa in the last few games was hailed as hero. Just like Maguire, he's massively overrated.

Grealish is also extremely weak at defence. He doesn't even know basic defending. He's like Pogba in his 2nd or 3rd season here. He's just there, pretending to defend the ball but makes no attempt to block the cross.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This thread, and the animosity toward Grealish, continues to be absolutely absurd.

Can't recall many players the caf turned on like this. Even more odd given Grealish just gets on with his game and doesn't strike as a player to simply hate for the sake of it.

Judas

Open to offers
His seasons has been very predictable, next year is the interesting one. If he doesn’t click for them then yeah it’s a ridiculously bad signing and proven everyone right who thought he was a weird fit for City.

cyberman

This thread, and the animosity toward Grealish, continues to be absolutely absurd.

Can't recall many players the caf turned on like this. Even more odd given Grealish just gets on with his game and doesn't strike as a player to simply hate for the sake of it.
I think its because half this place called him an absolute superstar and were hysterical when he joined City and we are now seeing the backlash of those absurd statements?
Hes an ok wide man but you need to be an inside forward with a fantastic goal threat to be considered a top, modern player in his position. A lot of fans last year just couldn't see that.

BerryBerryShrew

He's a fantastic player and I'd trade any of our players apart from Sancho for him in a heartbeat.

Pep bought him and is trying to mould him into a robot. He's a flair player and would shine if he was signed by a club who appreciated what he brings to the party as opposed to one who bought him to make him into the new Pedro.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Jack Grealish came from France.
English press said he had a chance.
£100m down the drain.
Jack Grealish is shit.

zenith

He'll be much better next season, I don't doubt it at all. Either he adapts to peps methods or there will be a big showdown and I'll happily grab my pop corn for that

CallyRed

He's a good player, he just doesn't suit City. Can't blame him for going though.

mu4c_20le

There's a player in there for sure, bit like our Donny. Maybe if they bring in Dean Smith after Pep leaves, we'll see the best of him again.

Idxomer

The sub was fine, there was a space behind which something Grealish did take advantage of.

He's a very good player who was excellent with Aston Villa, his problem is that his finishing and shooting are below average.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Was almost worried he might score the CL winning goal after a mediocre season like Havertz (thankfully) did last season.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What a waste of 100m, we’d of been slated like mad if we signed him for that much and he isn’t really producing. If they’d of spent that on a striker then they’d of probably won the CL this season… wish we could have 100m players sitting on the bench. They overpaid for one reason and that’s because he’s English.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Where was this big game player last night, as please correct me, but last night was a bit game was it not, and he did once again naff all.
Hence he shouldn't be viewed as a big game player.
One poor game makes him a failure ok...

didz

Where are all the journalists and pundits to constantly remind us of his £100m price tag? Or is that only when it’s United/non English players?
Occasionally I get annoyed by this as well - like I get annoyed by them also having a £40m Dutch international unable to get a game either. I guess because they win games it masks it. We all know there are probably other reasons too, but yeah, there's that at least.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Good player, just not a 100m player. No English player is worth 100m other than Harry Kane.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I think its because half this place called him an absolute superstar
Yup he was being compared to Ronaldinho if I remember correctly , just mass hysteria all round. (He is a fantastic player but not a generational talent.)

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Grealish was obviously the wrong fit. It was quite obvious even to the untrained eyes.

City players like to run fast and pass quickly. Grealish likes to dribble and look, think and pass relatively slowly. Grealish was just incredibly lucky to be even sold to City at 100 mil.

2 seasons back, Villa almost relegated due to Grealish's slow mo playing style but somehow by some stroke of luck, Grealish saved Villa in the last few games was hailed as hero. Just like Maguire, he's massively overrated.

Grealish is also extremely weak at defence. He doesn't even know basic defending. He's like Pogba in his 2nd or 3rd season here. He's just there, pretending to defend the ball but makes no attempt to block the cross.
Interestingly how time would change the narrative of people. Back then he was Cafe’s favourite and had been hailed highly as someone who single-handedly carrying Villa by himself, and also regarded as England’s hope for Euro 20.

Now he is nothing but a misfit and massively overrated player.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
2 seasons back, Villa almost relegated due to Grealish's slow mo playing style but somehow by some stroke of luck, Grealish saved Villa in the last few games was hailed as hero.
Couldn't have been more wrong even if you tried.

Skills

Snitch
For me they just bought the wrong player. They just bought an inferior version of Foden & Silva (right footed one though). But they were already stacked with this type of player because Mahrez is also quite similar but a better scorer.

They still haven't replaced Leroy Sane, who for me was a vital cog in the 17/18 team. That's the profile of wide attacker they should have targeted

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Havertz 7 goals and 3 assists in 26 matches.(so did ole tbh)
So many players are not worth their costs.

Werner 4 goals 1 assist.

Pepe 1 goal 1 assist

VDB at 40 mil just 10 mil less than AWB.

Pogba at 90 million

Hazard

Lukaku

Torres

Di Maria

So many flops but it's only English players that get blamed for costing alot.

I hardly hear Pogba's cost compared to Maguire or AWB - it's weird when Pogba is probably leaving on a free roo whilst we might get some money back from the others.