Jack Grealish | Man City

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
I thought he was top 5 in league quality at Villa and in that no fans season it was a joy watching almost every Villa game, pretty much for him.

Now he's moved to City he's a mere bit part player and doesn't even stand out as particularly special at all. I'm still a little shocked by that as didn't think it'd be the case.
It definitely feels like he's had his wings clipped style wise going there.
I can't say I understand why. Anyone who moves to City and is given any creative responsibility under Pep has a very quiet/underwhelming first season without fail. That's not just wingers like Mahrez and Sané, it's Bernardo, Rodri, Cancelo, Stones, Torres, Angeliño, Nolito, Zinchenko. For everyone except Dias, Walker, Ederson and Laporte, there's been a settling-in period of at least six months and usually more. They're being asked to learn something so different from what they're used to so it's only fair to expect a transition.

Grealish was never going to have a big impact in his first season.

Skills

Snitch
Seems like he's having the time of his life in Vegas now.

What a character

Chairman Steve

I’ve never seen a footballer get snapped up wasted as much as he is, which makes me wonder if he’s being loud and obnoxious in a public setting, that draws attention to his presence and hence everyone takes photos and videos of him, ranging from your casual football fan taking a photo who knew who he was, to your non-football fan who took the photo and shared it with friends remarking on the drunk idiot they saw in Caesar’s last night.

All for having a good time but don’t be an asshole to the degree everyone around you is being negatively affected (if that is the case)

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I’ve never seen a footballer get snapped up wasted as much as he is, which makes me wonder if he’s being loud and obnoxious in a public setting, that draws attention to his presence and hence everyone takes photos and videos of him, ranging from your casual football fan taking a photo who knew who he was, to your non-football fan who took the photo and shared it with friends remarking on the drunk idiot they saw in Caesar’s last night.

All for having a good time but don’t be an asshole to the degree everyone around you is being negatively affected (if that is the case)
I don't think there are many people who spent 80k on a night out and order 116 bottles of drink. Combined with what you said, getting drunk so much, like a highschool kid on some trip with his mates first time away from parents.

Bobski

Joe Cole or Jack Grealish, who was better?

Cole probably didn't entirely fufill his potential but he showed he could adapt to being part of a team and share the ball which Grealish has yet to match. Grealish could have a productive next 2-3 years and separate himself but at the moment I would probably still go with Cole though he peaked early.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Cole had maybe 2 years as a top player. Most of his career he was decent to average. I think Grealish has a higher top level and has been more consistent, he just hasn't had as many chances at the top level yet.

Bobski

Cole had maybe 2 years as a top player. Most of his career he was decent to average. I think Grealish has a higher top level and has been more consistent, he just hasn't had as many chances at the top level yet.
Both have rather poor goal-scoring records for attacking players, Grealish 43 in 290 club appearances. Cole 74 in 592, taking away his 20 in 86 in the US retirement league.

As you say a major issue with Cole is longevity, was pretty much finished as a top level player by the 2008-09 season, 27 or so, probably not helped by Mou running him into the ground.

Bondi77

Cole probably didn't entirely fufill his potential but he showed he could adapt to being part of a team and share the ball which Grealish has yet to match. Grealish could have a productive next 2-3 years and separate himself but at the moment I would probably still go with Cole though he peaked early.
Joe Cole without a doubt

Bondi77

I stated at the time that he was no better than what City had a lready and that he would be a super expensive squad player.

phelans shorts

Joe Cole by a significant margin.

TwoSheds

Both have rather poor goal-scoring records for attacking players, Grealish 43 in 290 club appearances. Cole 74 in 592, taking away his 20 in 86 in the US retirement league.

As you say a major issue with Cole is longevity, was pretty much finished as a top level player by the 2008-09 season, 27 or so, probably not helped by Mou running him into the ground.
Yep, I don't think Grealish's game is primarily about goals though. Carrying the ball and creating goals are what he should primarily be judged on. He does need to improve his goalscoring though as well, it's quite poor for an era where wide players are expected to score.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't remember Cole ever having the level of season Grealish had at Villa.

Cole was thought of as a wonderkid, and had a "good" career, top club, good international stats etc, but I'd defy anyone to say his output was anywhere near what was hoped for.

TwoSheds

Cole was thought of as a wonderkid, and had a "good" career, top club, good international stats etc, but I'd defy anyone to say his output was anywhere near what was hoped for.
Not sure it's clear cut. He had at least one awesome year under Mourinho. Also played more CL and international games and scored some important goals too. I agree Grealish should have a better career though.

cyberman

He was sensational at West Ham before he even moved to Chelsea. I honestly think Jacks season was seriously overrated, he benefited from the shine of being the player that everybody passed to.

NoPace

Not sure it's clear cut. He had at least one awesome year under Mourinho. Also played more CL and international games and scored some important goals too. I agree Grealish should have a better career though.
Cole was fantastic that one year, but I'd take Grealish for his extra pace at LW, which proved to be Cole's best position. Also gets fouled a ton, which would have suited Chelsea with their giant defenders and England with Beckham.

TwoSheds

Cole was fantastic that one year, but I'd take Grealish for his extra pace at LW, which proved to be Cole's best position. Also gets fouled a ton, which would have suited Chelsea with their giant defenders and England with Beckham.
I can see the argument, I'm just saying it's not fair to Cole to say he was never anywhere near Grealish's level.

NoPace

I can see the argument, I'm just saying it's not fair to Cole to say he was never anywhere near Grealish's level.
Oh yeah, he definitely was, just was probably at that level for 3-4 years and Grealish has done that already for me and has time left on his side.

Cole was better at linking up so there's managers and lineups I could see preferring him, but I think England would have been better with Grealish on the left, as they really lacked dribblers from when Rooney bulked up more until the new generation of Foden, Sancho and Grealish types emerged.

TwoSheds

Oh yeah, he definitely was, just was probably at that level for 3-4 years and Grealish has done that already for me and has time left on his side.

Cole was better at linking up so there's managers and lineups I could see preferring him, but I think England would have been better with Grealish on the left, as they really lacked dribblers from when Rooney bulked up more until the new generation of Foden, Sancho and Grealish types emerged.
I tend to agree. I despised most of that England side and Cole was only rarely an exception despite some good performances :lol:

phelans shorts

He was sensational at West Ham before he even moved to Chelsea. I honestly think Jacks season was seriously overrated, he benefited from the shine of being the player that everybody passed to.
That season is absolutely incredible. Genuinely don’t think I’ve ever seen history rewritten as fast as it was when he somehow became England’s poster boy (who rightly wasn’t getting picked).

Mcking

With likely more game time and better role clarity, could see him having a very good season. He's got plenty of ability.

Joel Miller

That season is absolutely incredible. Genuinely don’t think I’ve ever seen history rewritten as fast as it was when he somehow became England’s poster boy (who rightly wasn’t getting picked).
Glad it’s not just me. One of the most overrated players I can remember, the fact his greatest quality seems to be “gets fouled a lot” speaks volumes. Christ even that’s dubious with the amount of dives he takes. England’s poster boy, who can’t hold down a starting place for England.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Grealish is a quality player.

If people can make excuses for Sancho then Grealish can have them as well.

Having a striker like Haaland to try and create to is something he didn’t have last season - probably why the more goalscoring type like Sterling may take a back seat or get transferred out.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
It’s a big season for Grealish. He’ll have had his year to settle in and now he has to produce. It’s easy to write him off but City more so than other teams do seem to take longer for players to settle in and produce the goods - even forward players. To name a few Mahrez, Rodri, B.Silva, Sane, Sterling all had relatively average first seasons and kicked on massively in their 2nd.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
The difference in narrative for him and Pogba in the media is ridiculous. Judging by media, what he does is funny and entertaining(drinking and embarassing yourself), but when Pogba does his hair it's making him play bad and he is setting a bad example.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The difference in narrative for him and Pogba in the media is ridiculous. Judging by media, what he does is funny and entertaining(drinking and embarassing yourself), but when Pogba does his hair it's making him play bad and he is setting a bad example.
Couldn’t agree more this. If Pogba did half the things Grealish got upto he would have been hounded out the country years ago. Our press is disgraceful and too many follow it’s lead.

Is it? I think you're trying to find something that's not there. The media are setting Grealish up to be the next Gazza. Maybe after Qatar, maybe later, but he's their next target and it will be far worse than anything Pogba was subjected to.

cyberman

It’s a big season for Grealish. He’ll have had his year to settle in and now he has to produce. It’s easy to write him off but City more so than other teams do seem to take longer for players to settle in and produce the goods - even forward players. To name a few Mahrez, Rodri, B.Silva, Sane, Sterling all had relatively average first seasons and kicked on massively in their 2nd.
Don’t think he’ll start much. Halaand will hate the way he hangs on to the ball since it’ll affect how Halaand times his runs. Having someone constantly hold on to it on the wing is a big no-no when playing with a prolific number 9

crossy1686

career ending
He’s a great player but he just isn’t suited to the rigid system that City play to.

Pep does this occasionally, he buys a player he thinks he can tame. Zlatan springs to mind, so does Yaya. Certain players just need to be told to do whatever they want with the ball when they get it. Not stick to a zone and play square or wait for the overlap.

MDFC Manager

Is it? I think you're trying to find something that's not there. The media are setting Grealish up to be the next Gazza. Maybe after Qatar, maybe later, but he's their next target and it will be far worse than anything Pogba was subjected to.
Didn't think of this angle, now you've brought it up, it makes good sense.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I am not trying anything, Grealish hasn't done half of what Pogba did in his carewr and he was criticised for every move on and off the pitch; and Grealish had far worse season than Pogba had in his first year here, he is getting pissed every week, and apparently it's funny: