Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibbs

To counter this argument, I think it’s relevant to say in Martial, Rashford and Greenwood we have a strike trio worth £100 million each. Why get sancho if he is to displace one of these three?

The obvious answer being you need first team quality to compete on all fronts and that’s what we should be doing.
That is a very high valuation you associate with our players. Only Martial is worth 80m. Rashford around 70 and Greenwood 50 to 60.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
That is a very high valuation you associate with our players. Only Martial is worth 80m. Rashford around 70 and Greenwood 50 to 60.
I wouldn’t sell Rashford for £70m nor Greenwood for £60m

Dante

Average bang
Knowing many Villa fans they would think they are above Lingard. Many of the still live off the 82 Euro cup win, and 2nd place which they “should have won” in 92/93 was it?

Another thing is Greasy was only pushed wide as he was being doubled up on in a crap team. He’s better centrally, and would thrive with better players around him.

What do you guys think about his refusal to wear adult shin pads? He wears kids shin pads & refuses to pull his socks up.

He also has his shorts made ‘tight’ fit.

He’s a bit of a tit actually
Grealish has a girlfriend, so I'm sure he's straight. But his hair, tight clothes and skin exposure are what some of my gay friends would do, if they were footballers. Nothing wrong with it, as long as it's within the rules. I'm used to seeing that kind of thing on nights out with them.

I don't mind showing off a bit of individuality in football. The same applies to Pogba and his hair.

Superunknown

Rashford is difficult to put a value on because I can't see the club even contemplating letting him go. It would have to be over £100million+ for the club to even think about it. What he's worth is a difficult question to answer. He'll be 23 next month, so still early in his career. I'd be annoyed if we accepted an offer sub-£100million for him in the next few years.

treble_winner

I wouldn’t sell Rashford for £70m nor Greenwood for £60m
Rashford is difficult to put a value on because I can't see the club even contemplating letting him go. It would have to be over £100million+ for the club to even think about it. What he's worth is a difficult question to answer. He'll be 23 next month, so still early in his career. I'd be annoyed if we accepted an offer sub-£100million for him in the next few years.
To be fair, this sounds very similar to our response when PSG knocked on our door with a 40-50 millions offer for Adnan Januzaj when he first bursted onto the scene. We also felt he must not be let go at any cost, being a product of our academy. And the rest was history. So I wouldn't turn my nose up a 100 millions offer on Rashford immediately, or at least not that fast.

Superunknown

To be fair, this sounds very similar to our response when PSG knocked on our door with a 40-50 millions offer for Adnan Januzaj when he first bursted onto the scene. We also felt he must not be let go at any cost, being a product of our academy. And the rest was history. So I wouldn't turn my nose up a 100 millions offer on Rashford immediately, or at least not that fast.
On the face of it, it seems like an obvious comparison to make. But, when you look closely, I'm not sure I agree. Januzaj only had the one good season for us where he scored 4 league goals. He never hit the same heights again after that season.

On the other hand, Rashford has just had his best ever season for us, scoring 22 goals in all competitions (17 in the league) and looking much more comfortable in the roles where he has been playing. He's local, so that adds an extra element, too. The situation is different for the club where Januzaj started off well and then never got to the same level or surpassed that, whereas Rashford is just now (and partly last season) showing his true potential. We've developed him over a number of seasons and now it's starting to pay off, with the promise of more to come.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Makes no sense if we’re in for him and VDB unless we’re signing both him and Sancho and cashing in on Pogba.

MDFC Manager

I still think he'd do a very good job for us. It just doesn't have the same impact I guess as Sancho's status is higher at the moment, but it wouldn't be a bad transfer by any means. It's not going from Ronaldo to Valencia, for example.
No, Grealish isn't a bad player at all. The problem is this:
Thankfully it's likely bullshit. Grealish makes feck all sense as a Sancho replacement because he's not a right winger.
Almost like buying a player for the sake of buying.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Of course we won't but that is the max we will get I think if we were to.
I don’t believe that for one second.

We only sell if the player is too old, not good enough or so good another team pays over the odds for them.

Not at all the same. Rashford has proven his worth over the past few seasons. £100m+ for him and I’d consider selling but surely having a Manchester academy graduate is too much of an appeal to sell off while performing well.

joedirt87

Thankfully it's likely bullshit. Grealish makes feck all sense as a Sancho replacement because he's not a right winger.
but the club hasn't addressed the position in almost a decade, so it makes sense they would so something like this.

GMoore23

Really hope the signing of Van De Beek ends our interest in this guy. Really strikes me as a player who'll lose his hunger not long after getting a move to a big club . The money will ruin him.

lsd

The Oracle
No, Grealish isn't a bad player at all. The problem is this:

Almost like buying a player for the sake of buying.

There is nothing with buying quality players who are better than players you have. Buying Grealish makes sense if we can offload the likes or Periera and Lingard as he is better and gives us more options to have .

The problem is though getting rid of the players we have as they are on far more money than they would get elsewhere

Really hope the signing of Van De Beek ends our interest in this guy. Really strikes me as a player who'll lose his hunger not long after getting a move to a big club . The money will ruin him.
Really misguided comment. Can’t see that at all, I see the opposite. I think he would thrive at a top club, be that at Utd or elsewhere. He’s the sort of player Fergie would have bought, and I’m sure we would have done too if the price was right.

Quality player, but looks like he will be staying at Villa this season.

Hope he gets a game, he deserves a chance at international level, and it was a bit perplexing why he was left out originally.

CG1010

Martial and Rashford would easily command values in excess of 80million depending on particular urgency by them to leave the club. Not that we will sell at those values.

pascell

Greenwood £50-60m :lol: Greenwood is priceless, you don't sell those level of academy products. The club clearly agree as they knocked back Dortmund who wanted him in the deal for Sancho.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Grealish has a girlfriend, so I'm sure he's straight. But his hair, tight clothes and skin exposure are what some of my gay friends would do, if they were footballers. Nothing wrong with it, as long as it's within the rules. I'm used to seeing that kind of thing on nights out with them.

I don't mind showing off a bit of individuality in football. The same applies to Pogba and his hair.
That's the deal breaker then

OrcaFat

I’m not sure it helps to dress like he’s on a night out with your friends, gay or otherwise. But the issue is that he is probably more likely to get injured if he won’t wear proper pads. So far so good but for most people shin pads are a very sensible precaution.

The tight shorts could cause injury too I suppose. And the hairstyle could annoy players or confuse them so may go either way.

Dante

Average bang
I’m not sure it helps to dress like he’s on a night out with your friends, gay or otherwise. But the issue is that he is probably more likely to get injured if he won’t wear proper pads. So far so good but for most people shin pads are a very sensible precaution.

The tight shorts could cause injury too I suppose. And the hairstyle could annoy players or confuse them so may go either way.

True. But so did George Best, and that was in a much more dangerous era.

High challenges up the the front of a player's shin are pretty much non-existent these days. When a high challenge does happen, it's usually from the back, the side or lower down near the ankle (where his shin pads actually do cover).

I agree that it's a risk. But I've always liked a maverick.

dev1l

Have you ever considered applying for the Director of Football post at MU?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Shin pads are mandatory at all levels of football, the tight shorts are less so but depends on the manager I suppose. Wouldn't want to piss off a coach if he said, ' I'd like you all to wear your underpants on the outside of your shorts.'

OrcaFat

True. But so did George Best, and that was in a much more dangerous era.

High challenges up the the front of a player's shin are pretty much non-existent these days. When a high challenge does happen, it's usually from the back, the side or lower down near the ankle (which his shin pads actually do cover).

I agree that it's a risk. But I've always liked a maverick.
Yeah, s’pose you’re right. Mavericks are fun - we need more of them.

I really hope we sign this guy, by the way.

Black Rick

Grealish has the intelligence and skillset to play anywhere across the frontline and midfield.

Given that we already have Rashford/Martial/Greenwood - that they need supporting rather than replacing - Grealish would be a far more astute signing than Sancho in allowing us to spread the leftover budget across other gaps in the squad.

Red Comet

Hallo mein Fruend. Ich kommen aus Dortmund.... you want Sancho ja...? We can let him join you in exchange for Rashford und Greenwood.

Ist gut deal ja? Sehr einfach.

Last edited:

roseguy64

Comparing Rashford to Januzaj. Wow

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I don't feel sorry for him at all. He didn't strike hard, he didn't skip practice to apply pressure on Villa. He even played out of his skin to keep Villa safe in the relegation battle. Everything he did helped Villa stick a high price tag on him. He was supposedly desperate to join Manchester United, yet all he did made us have to pay a fortune to get him. He can stay and retire in Villa for all I care.
Strange post.

I'd have a lesser opinion of him if he'd downed tools and contributed to his club being relegated, just to force a move.

Would that be the kind of player we'd want at the club?

He's probably been priced out of a move, but he'll leave Villa eventually. Contracts don't last forever.

Fracture90

Strange post.

I'd have a lesser opinion of him if he'd downed tools and contributed to his club being relegated, just to force a move.

Would that be the kind of player we'd want at the club?

He's probably been priced out of a move, but he'll leave Villa eventually. Contracts don't last forever.
Mephistopheles has entered the chat.

GMoore23

Really misguided comment. Can’t see that at all, I see the opposite. I think he would thrive at a top club, be that at Utd or elsewhere. He’s the sort of player Fergie would have bought, and I’m sure we would have done too if the price was right.

Quality player, but looks like he will be staying at Villa this season.

Hope he gets a game, he deserves a chance at international level, and it was a bit perplexing why he was left out originally.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...DBAN&usg=AOvVaw1pfUbkFxD11Gug11HOrSRr&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ARAB&usg=AOvVaw1UYgRTyrFIUY5l2pf8lbcY&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AhAB&usg=AOvVaw0CsW0TwDm-VjqO4bfb6_ip&ampcf=1

Misguided, I don't think so. Fergie wouldn't have thought twice about signing him and I don't think Ole will either.
I honestly don't think we've ever been interested and its all just the usual press hype. They'd absolutely love us to sign him so they could wet themselves eveytime he slips up.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...DBAN&usg=AOvVaw1pfUbkFxD11Gug11HOrSRr&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ARAB&usg=AOvVaw1UYgRTyrFIUY5l2pf8lbcY&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AhAB&usg=AOvVaw0CsW0TwDm-VjqO4bfb6_ip&ampcf=1

Misguided, I don't think so. Fergie wouldn't have thought twice about signing him and I don't think Ole will either.
I honestly don't think we've ever been interested and its all just the usual press hype. They'd absolutely love us to sign him so they could wet themselves eveytime he slips up.
Can’t remember a single Utd player getting in trouble whilst at the club...?

or a single Utd player that had caused controversy before we bought him...?

Just as an example, why don’t you look up Dwight Yorke before and after he joined Utd. Puts anything Grealish did firmly in the shade. You clearly have google skills!

If the price was right, we would be all over him. He’s the right type type of player who would relish the step up.

A typical Fergie signing.

GMoore23

Just as an example, why don’t you look up Dwight Yorke before and after he joined Utd. Puts anything Grealish did firmly in the shade. You clearly have google skills!

If the price was right, we would be all over him. He’s the right type type of player who would relish the step up.

Fergie couldn't stand Yorkes lifestyle making the headlines. He was made a rotational option in only his 3rd season with us and a backup player the next. Fergie couldn't wait to get him out the door.

GMoore23

You must have loved United in the 80s. Full of your type of players.
Plenty of winning sweet feck all.

Haddock

Or Cantona that notoriously low maintenance player who absolutely didn't throw a hissy fit and 'retire' at 25 after being run out of France.
Fergie couldn't stand Yorkes lifestyle making the headlines. He was made a rotational option in only his 3rd season with us and a backup player the next. Fergie couldn't wait to get him out the door.
He still signed him didn't he? He was sidelined because Sheringham had a far better year than him. And there's a massive difference between Yorke's lifestyle and Grealish's incidents five years apart.

Fergie was also going to sign Ronaldinho. He signed Rio and stuck by him. He signed Anderson. Keane was arrested days before the FA cup final in 1999 on assault charges. He was in court again in 2005.

croadyman

Grealish has the intelligence and skillset to play anywhere across the frontline and midfield.

Given that we already have Rashford/Martial/Greenwood - that they need supporting rather than replacing - Grealish would be a far more astute signing than Sancho in allowing us to spread the leftover budget across other gaps in the squad.
Yeah as the poster says Jack doesn't play on the RW well hasn't since the Notts County days anyway. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see this pick up again if the Sancho stuff reaches a dead end.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I think players like Grealish need to be a lot smarter when they were signing contracts at these levels of clubs if they want a big move. They need to start putting fairly low release clauses in their contracts so they can have more control over their career.

romufc

I think players like Grealish need to be a lot smarter when they were signing contracts at these levels of clubs if they want a big move. They need to start putting fairly low release clauses in their contracts so they can have more control over their career.
Yep. You cannot expect clubs to keep paying £60m+ when they can get similar quality from abroad.

Maguire, Chilwel, Maddison, Grealish etc.. Players need to think of their careers and it is obvious for the better of their career, they need to be playing for the better teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.