Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne's World

I'd love for us to sign him but If we kept Pogba then I really don't see the point?

I wish we could be spending the likes of 50 million on squad players but we really can't. He's going to be a class act to the club he goes too though

red thru&thru

I'd love for us to sign him but If we kept Pogba then I really don't see the point?

I wish we could be spending the likes of 50 million on squad players but we really can't. He's going to be a class act to the club he goes too though
Always room for strength in depth, especially to replace the like of Juan, Jesse & Andreas.

Wayne's World

Always room for strength in depth, especially to replace the like of Juan, Jesse & Andreas.
Absolute no problems with replacing them with Grealish but don't think he'd come to United to want to sit on the bench.

Saying that, he can play as a left winger too so he would be useful. If it was me I'd have no hesitation spending 50 million on him right now.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We're not really in a position to spend that kind of money on strength in depth though, not when we have areas of the starting 11 that could do with an upgrade.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm just kinda meh on him. He's an excellent dribbler and runner with the ball, but not really cut out for the wing with the way he plays and his other attributes. He kind of just gets a free role for Villa because he's far and away their best player, but in a system at a bigger club he wouldn't have that. As a midfielder, he really isn't much of a passer. He's a very average passer, doesn't really pass it all that progressively, has decent delivery into the box but far from special, and that's what we should look at IMO. His great quality being an excellent dribbler doesn't lend itself to suiting our squad all that much to be honest. If he's fine with being firmly behind Pogba and Bruno Fernandes in midfield and Rashford on the left, then yeah of course. But there's no reason why he'd want to join and be firmly a squad player while in his prime behind 3 players who he'll never be as good as. And I just don't see him as a super effective player. Someone who I think will peak at about Spurs level, but not enough to be more as he lacks too many qualities IMO. Need more than just excellent dribbling in deep areas before an unadventurous pass.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'm not entirely impressed with Grealish honestly, he seems a bit pedestrian.

What does Grealish offer that Mata doesn't? Obviously Mata is 8 years older, but Grealish seems like he would just sit on the bench (like Mata has recently) because he's honestly not a player that would compliment Bruno or Pogba, I think the squad needs a CDM in there that allows them to get forward.

If the ambition was to get a Mata replacement that's tidy on the ball then great, but if you want a top top class CDM or box to box midfielder to accompany Pogba and Bruno, then Grealish really isn't that player.

I thought the ambition is a title challenge, not getting a relegation teams best player who is far below top 4 quality.

Grealish would much better be suited to a team like Spurs.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

What does Grealish offer that Mata doesn't? Obviously Mata is 8 years older, but Grealish seems like he would just sit on the bench (like Mata has recently) because he's honestly not a player that would compliment Bruno or Pogba, I think the squad needs a CDM in there that allows them to get forward.

If the ambition was to get a Mata replacement that's tidy on the ball then great, but if you want a top top class CDM or box to box midfielder to accompany Pogba and Bruno, then Grealish really isn't that player.

I thought the ambition is a title challenge, not getting a relegation teams best player who is far below top 4 quality.

Yeah if we're looking to improve the squad, sure. If we're looking at starting 11 improvements, the right wing is the next step, then probably a partner for Maguire, and then a top class CDM and more attacking quality and creativity at left back. Squad depth wise we are ok in most positions right now and it's just standard upgrading as players leave/age, but Grealish would just be too high profile of a transfer for a bench player behind 2 automatic starters.

red thru&thru

We're not really in a position to spend that kind of money on strength in depth though, not when we have areas of the starting 11 that could do with an upgrade.
Like Ole said, this pandemic has thrown up opportunities that may have not been there previously. But agreed, we wouldn't have spent pre-covid money on him to sit on bench. Post covid? No idea

El Jefe

I'm just kinda meh on him. He's an excellent dribbler and runner with the ball, but not really cut out for the wing with the way he plays and his other attributes. He kind of just gets a free role for Villa because he's far and away their best player, but in a system at a bigger club he wouldn't have that. As a midfielder, he really isn't much of a passer. He's a very average passer, doesn't really pass it all that progressively, has decent delivery into the box but far from special, and that's what we should look at IMO. His great quality being an excellent dribbler doesn't lend itself to suiting our squad all that much to be honest. If he's fine with being firmly behind Pogba and Bruno Fernandes in midfield and Rashford on the left, then yeah of course. But there's no reason why he'd want to join and be firmly a squad player while in his prime behind 3 players who he'll never be as good as. And I just don't see him as a super effective player. Someone who I think will peak at about Spurs level, but not enough to be more as he lacks too many qualities IMO. Need more than just excellent dribbling in deep areas before an unadventurous pass.
This is how I see it too. He also holds onto the ball for ages taking unnecessary touches before making the very obvious square pass. You can see he's a talented player but his game doesn't impress me. He has the freedom of the pitch to do what he wants and he really doesn't do all that much with it other than a few dribbles.

We have no need for him IMO.

marktan

This is how I see it too. He also holds onto the ball for ages taking unnecessary touches before making the very obvious square pass. You can see he's a talented player but his game doesn't impress me. He has the freedom of the pitch to do what he wants and he really doesn't do all that much with it other than a few dribbles.

I agree we don't need him, but I think you're underselling him a bit here. He can play a pass, he can score goals, he's looked a bit poor today but that's because he has so few options to play balls in too. They're playing with 2 up top who are getting crowded and no wide players. To me he reminds of me of someone like Ox who will do a solid job at AM. But we already have Pogba and Bruno so we don't really need him on top, unless he was cheap.

crossy1686

career ending

This has more to do with his team mates than Grealish. He cannot do everything himself, although he does 2/3's.

Dribbling past a man or men and goal scoring are what you pay top money for in transfer fees. Grealish beats men with ease and can turn a game on its head with a few dribbles. If you've got Rashford, Martial and Bruno in front of him he'd look a lot better.

I'll put a scenario to you for next season:

Champions League quarter final second leg against Bayern.
United need to score to go through.
Bruno is suspended for the match.
You look at the team sheet and see Lingard starting in his place.
This is the point you realise Jack Grealish at £50m would have been very good business.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Excellent player who from my perspective would flourish in a big club like United. He seems to raise to the occasion and being in the limelight doesn’t seems to be bothering him.

I can easily se him rotating with Bruno and Paul in order for us to have more fresh creative alternatives. He would also be a great back up to Rash. If we can get him for a decent fee what’s there not to like?

We need an rvn

Captain of a big-ish club since age 23 or so and has to work a hell of a lot harder than he would at United - in the sense at United he'd be able to express himself more than he would as generally we'd be further up that pitch than Villa are for most matches.

Plus he would be a huge improvement over Lingard, Mata, Andreas - simple as that.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Grealish makes sense as a rotation option, and coming off the bench late. I just don't seem him as a starting option for us though. Question is if he'd be happy with that.

POF

Grealish makes sense as a rotation option, and coming off the bench late. I just don't seem him as a starting option for us though. Question is if he'd be happy with that.
If he's happy being a rotation player I don't want him. Any player who joins United should do so with the intention of getting in the first team.

If he backs his ability to earn his spot in the side (he seems to be a player who relishes the big stage) then he'd be a great option. He could easily play in any of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 or in any of four positions in a 4-3-3.

With the market as it is, I think there's a good chance United get Grealish this summer and go for Sancho next summer when he has a year less on his contract. If Dortmund play hardball, the fee could be too much for anyone in a post-COVID market.

ReddevilTinu

Grelish should be bought since we need backup in short term and long term it gives us leverage if Pogba wants to move

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If he's happy being a rotation player I don't want him. Any player who joins United should do so with the intention of getting in the first team.

If he backs his ability to earn his spot in the side (he seems to be a player who relishes the big stage) then he'd be a great option. He could easily play in any of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 or in any of four positions in a 4-3-3.

With the market as it is, I think there's a good chance United get Grealish this summer and go for Sancho next summer when he has a year less on his contract. If Dortmund play hardball, the fee could be too much for anyone in a post-COVID market.
Other clubs will be in for Sancho next summer.

Why would we prioritise Grealish and lose out on Sancho?

Slysi17

I just watched the game and he literally did sod all. Just dribbled and passed sideways. His passing is bang average. Not a top four quality player and a player a team like Everton would sign. I love making fun of Arsenal but he is a player I would sign if I was Mikel Arterta. Not a player we should sign.

P-Nut

He doesn't need to be happy being a rotation option, it's more about not expecting to walk straight into the team, because more often than not, if we do sign Sancho he's going to be starting on the bench. Possibly until he proves he's better than the other options in his position.

Slysi17

That's a stupid thing to do. We desperately need a right winger. We don't need a overrated English attacking mid who would never be a starter for a team challenging for titles.

ArjenIsM3

If we can get a good deal then he'd be a good signing to provide Bruno and Pogba with some competition provided we manage to sell at least one of Lingard and Pereira. He won't be more than a squad player though.

Slysi17

That's the best he can hope for. He will never be good enough to start for a title chasing team. If he wants to be a regular starter he should go to Arsenal. He would walk straight into their team. I don't understand why Arsenal aren't considering him.

Last edited:

Slysi17

That's the best he can hope for. He will never be good enough to start for a title chasing team. If he wants to be a regular starter he should go to Arsenal. He would walk straight into their team. I don't understand why Arsenal aren't considering Grealish.

POF

Other clubs will be in for Sancho next summer.

Why would we prioritise Grealish and lose out on Sancho?
£££

It's a really uncertain transfer market. Who knows what the new normal will be.

If Villa get relegated, United have more leverage and could get him for a reasonable price. Dortmund don't seem under any financial pressure to sell Sancho so it may be easier to get him cheaper with less time on his contract and in a more realistic market.

He doesn't need to be happy being a rotation option, it's more about not expecting to walk straight into the team, because more often than not, if we do sign Sancho he's going to be starting on the bench. Possibly until he proves he's better than the other options in his position.
That's the case for every player joining a big club and should be the case every day for their time there. It should be the case for Sancho too.

If you perform well you're in. If you don't, there's someone ready to take your place. There are lots of games so plenty of opportunities to earn your spot.

It just depends whether Grealish would back himself to get in the side at a club like United.

Slysi17

£££

It's a really uncertain transfer market. Who knows what the new normal will be.

If Villa get relegated, United have more leverage and could get him for a reasonable price. Dortmund don't seem under any financial pressure to sell Sancho so it may be easier to get him cheaper with less time on his contract and in a more realistic market.

That's the case for every player joining a big club and should be the case every day for their time there. It should be the case for Sancho too.

If you perform well you're in. If you don't, there's someone ready to take your place. There are lots of games so plenty of opportunities to earn your spot.

It just depends whether Grealish would back himself to get in the side at a club like United.
But don't you realize we need a right winger alot more than Jack Grealish. In fact we are desperate for one as we don't have a single right winger. If Sancho is too expensive go for someone else. That's not how an ambitious club operates.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'd personally sell Daniel James, Lingard, Pereira, Mata to all replace with one player in Grealish.

For me, transfer wise, wages wise, substitution wise - that makes exceptional sense.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I'd personally sell Daniel James, Lingard, Pereira, Mata to all replace with one player in Grealish.

For me, transfer wise, wages wise, substitution wise - that makes exceptional sense.
Glad you aren’t in charge.

Dan James and Mata still offer something very different t Grealish,

James is an outstanding counter attacking threat and Mata is still a good last 30mins creative threat.

Grealish isn’t the same as either.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Can Grealish play in a verity of positions? It’s worth pointing out that there are always injuries and there is always room somewhere for someone like Grealish if there is room for Andreas who has a lot of appearances this season. Not to mention the fact that we need different options for different teams. Fergie used to manage his squad so well by making them feel that they’re important and that they have an important role to play during the course of the season. If Ole can get Grealish on board with that then Grealish, Pogba, and Bruno would make us one of the most formidable attacking options in the world, let alone the premier league. Would be a really excellent, exiting signing. Add Sancho to that and we’re challenging an all fronts.

Josh 76

Can Grealish play in a verity of positions? It’s worth pointing out that there are always injuries and there is always room somewhere for someone like Grealish if there is room for Andreas who has a lot of appearances this season. Not to mention the fact that we need different options for different teams. Fergie used to manage his squad so well by making them feel that they’re important and that they have an important role to play during the course of the season. If Ole can get Grealish on board with that then Grealish, Pogba, and Bruno would make us one of the most formidable attacking options in the world, let alone the premier league. Would be a really excellent, exiting signing. Add Sancho to that and we’re challenging an all fronts.
This is a great point. Fans always play the game on paper. "This would be my first 11". "Where will he play"
"His best position is right wing"
But in reality it never works like that. Fergie had 4 striker in the treble year and they all pushed each other.

Having Bruno, Grealish and Pogba fighting for the midfield would be sensational. Against teams that park the bus, they could all start.
Also when one is off form or injured, the other two could contribute massively.

Paxi

This is a great point. Fans always play the game on paper. "This would be my first 11". "Where will he play"
"His best position is right wing"
But in reality it never works like that. Fergie had 4 striker in the treble year and they all pushed each other.

Having Bruno, Grealish and Pogba fighting for the midfield would be sensational. Against teams that park the bus, they could all start.
Also when one is off form or injured, the other two could contribute massively.
Yep absolutely agree with everything. I would say Grealish is an essential signing if we want to take the next step forward. Grealish and Sancho would be an amazing summer.

P-Nut

For our last 3 signings this hasn't been the case at all. Maguire, AWB and Fernandes all walked straight into the team.

zenith

Without pogba being sold, there is no way we can muster enough funds to spend on him.

Maybe next year, if villa survive and pogba opts to leave.

POF

But don't you realize we need a right winger alot more than Jack Grealish. In fact we are desperate for one as we don't have a single right winger. If Sancho is too expensive go for someone else. That's not how an ambitious club operates.
I agree they need a right sided attacker more but they also need more depth in attack. Mata is almost gone and Lingard/Pereira have failed miserably this season.

If they can get Grealish cheaper this summer post Villa's relegation and save £20-30m on Sancho by getting him next summer, that might be the best long term play.

Greenwood's future may be at centre forward but he's a couple of seasons away from leading the line at senior level. He may be good enough as first choice on the right next season. You could have Grealish/Rashford as the wingers who consistently rotate throughout the game, Bruno may get injured or lose form, Pogba may leave or miss most of the season again.

If United feel Grealish is the right character and will give strong depth in attacking areas and if they feel Sancho is the one they want for right sided attacker, isn't it better they get both across 2 summers than an inferior replacement this summer?

It shouldn't be a new transfer strategy every summer. There needs to be a long term plan.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He can play LW, 10 and attacking 8. So two positions we play every match and another which we should be using against at least half the league. We play ~50-55 matches a season. Most players start at best 40 matches a season and that is entirely escaping injuries and anymore is usually dependant on being over played and forced to play through injuries like Rashford and Pogba have done. Just from that alone he could get 12-13 starts as a rotation for Rashford, 12-13 from Bruno and 5 for Pogba against weaker opposition where we play more attacking. That’s looking at 30 starts plus any appearances off the bench. You’re looking at nearly 3,000 minutes there which is a very good amount.

POF

For our last 3 signings this hasn't been the case at all. Maguire, AWB and Fernandes all walked straight into the team.
Because the competition in their positions was non existent. Valencia and Smalling left and Bruno's competition was Lingard and Pereira.

Dan James was signing #4 under Ole and has been in and out depending on form.

United have a good side now. Anyone coming in now will have a challenge to get in the side.

Fred has had a great season and after an unimpressive hour at Spurs he's out of the team. That's the level the club needs to get to. It's how you keep standards high.

Paxi

He can play LW, 10 and attacking 8. So two positions we play every match and another which we should be using against at least half the league. We play ~50-55 matches a season. Most players start at best 40 matches a season and that is entirely escaping injuries and anymore is usually dependant on being over played and forced to play through injuries like Rashford and Pogba have done. Just from that alone he could get 12-13 starts as a rotation for Rashford, 12-13 from Bruno and 5 for Pogba against weaker opposition where we play more attacking. That’s looking at 30 starts plus any appearances off the bench. You’re looking at nearly 3,000 minutes there which is a very good amount.
There you are, it shouldn't be a hard sell for the club or the player. I don’t think he’d be under the impression that if he came here he’d be the first name on the team sheet anyway. But hey, we’ve seen various players come for various clubs over the years and absolutely exceed everyone expectations. I literally cannot think of one reason why we shouldn’t sign him especially now that Villa are a cert to go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.