Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark

@NotShark
Why would we sign Grealish now that we signed Fernandes, play him on the right?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I never seen him playing on the right, but won't surprised if it's the case. Being part of rotation with Daniel James on the right and also backup option for Bruno & Rashford. Cheap & available.

edcunited1878

You know, United once had Paul Scholes, Carlos Tevez, and Dimitar Berbatov on the bench for a CL semi-final 2nd leg about 11 years ago now...if he really is available and wants to come here, it really is a no brainer. If United add Grealish, that would be a coup. Then maybe, maybe, Sancho...

United would have selection issues with the bench! Romero, Bailly, McTominay, Matic, Grealish, Greenwood, Ighalo...James, Mata, Williams, Lingard, etc. would be fighting to make the matchday squad.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You know, United once had Paul Scholes, Carlos Tevez, and Dimitar Berbatov on the bench for a CL semi-final 2nd leg about 11 years ago now...if he really is available and wants to come here, it really is a no brainer. If United add Grealish, that would be a coup. Then maybe, maybe, Sancho...

United would have selection issues with the bench! Romero, Bailly, McTominay, Matic, Grealish, Greenwood, Ighalo...James, Mata, Williams, Lingard, etc. would be fighting to make the matchday squad.
That's only if we are already have good enough starting XI to win the league. When you look at our bench from 04/05 to 05/06 or even when we won the league in 06/07. Our bench wasn't really comparable to 07-09 season. In 06/07 we had a starting XI to win the league and the next window we started strengthened the whole squad.

edcunited1878

That's only if we are already have good enough starting XI to win the league. When you look at our bench from 04/05 to 05/06 or even when we won the league in 06/07. Our bench wasn't really comparable to 07-09 season. In 06/07 we had a starting XI to win the league and the next window we started strengthened the whole squad.
You need to have a full squad worthy enough to win the league. It's not just down to 11, 12, 13 players. Bench players spell your starting XI and fill in when rotation is needed due to suspensions, injuries, and congested schedules. Liverpool are able to call on Oxlade-Chamberlin, Lallana, Shaqiri, Minamino, Milner, Origi. City don't have nearly the depth they once had, but still can tap into Mahrez, Jesus, Foden, Cancelo.

Thankfully United bought Bruno and Ighalo, but the side didn't cope well enough without Pogba or before those two. Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Chong aren't going to cut it. Only Greenwood. Having a Grealish then possibly a Sancho legitimizes the first team squad with quality depth at key positions such as forward line and across midfield.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He'd most likely rotate amongst a number of different positions. Most obviously he'd be the direct first choice replacement for both Rashford and Bruno, but he'd also be an option on the right and in central midfield. He'd also play his part in the striker rotation (Rashford moving up front with Grealish then playing on the left).

We need roughly 14 true first teamers, not just 11. That covers us during injury, normal rotation over a long season, quality substitutions, and lets players know that if their form drops they'll end up sitting on the bench most of the time because we've got somebody of similar quality able to slot in. That's where Grealish comes in. Sometimes he'd only be on the bench, but over the course of the season he'd probably start more games than not.

JohnnyLaw

You need to have a full squad worthy enough to win the league. It's not just down to 11, 12, 13 players. Bench players spell your starting XI and fill in when rotation is needed due to suspensions, injuries, and congested schedules. Liverpool are able to call on Oxlade-Chamberlin, Lallana, Shaqiri, Minamino, Milner, Origi. City don't have nearly the depth they once had, but still can tap into Mahrez, Jesus, Foden, Cancelo.

Thankfully United bought Bruno and Ighalo, but the side didn't cope well enough without Pogba or before those two. Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Chong aren't going to cut it. Only Greenwood. Having a Grealish then possibly a Sancho legitimizes the first team squad with quality depth at key positions such as forward line and across midfield.
Sure but when you sign a player for the first team you still improve the squad as the player who used to be first choice becomes falls into rotation. Most of the players you mentioned were either bought to be first choice but couldn’t cut it or as back-ups/successors to already established players such as Mane/Salah Walker/Agüero. Alot of those players were also brought in for a pittance, especially in Liverpools case. Minamino, Shaquiri and Origi were all brought in for fees below 15 m€ I believe and Milner was a free transfer. I don’t think it’s wise to buy a 40+ million £ player like Grealish as a rotational option when theres still holes in the first eleven that needs to be attended to.

WelshManc

I still want us to sign him, even if Pogba stays. I don't think we can miss out on him for around 40m or possibly even less due to current situation. I don't trust Pogba not to throw his toys out of the pram and decide he wants to leave or flirt with other teams.

I think Jack is a quality player and I'd love him at OT.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I'm happy with not signing Grealish.

I still can't get over that he actually went to party, and crashed cars while drunk driving during a pendemic quarantine. And at this point I probably never will. 0 character.

laughtersassassin

I still want us to sign him, even if Pogba stays. I don't think we can miss out on him for around 40m or possibly even less due to current situation. I don't trust Pogba not to throw his toys out of the pram and decide he wants to leave or flirt with other teams.

I think Jack is a quality player and I'd love him at OT.
Yet he has never thrown his toys out of the pram. He mentioned a new challenge once in the summer after being abused by our fans during the last game in a season where he was our best player.

Context matters and considering leaving is not throwing your toys out of the pram. If it's is every player who has even wanted to leave a team is a twat by that context.

Renegade

People suggesting Grealish playing from the RW must not have seen him play regularly.

JohnnyLaw

People suggesting Grealish playing from the RW must not have seen him play regularly.
Mata has been deployed consistantly at RW throughout his Utd career but I don’t think he’s ever played as a ’right winger’. He’s always wandered about untethered and I’d imagine Grealish being able to do the same.

We’ve been pretty versatile tactically under Ole though so I’d imagine he’d come in as a AM in a diamond or in a back five formation with Fernandes/Pogba taking a step deeper.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Sure if they are cost like Daniel James's fees. Anything more is probably better used to improve the starting XI first.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
------------Matic/McTominay--------------------
----Fred/Bruno------Pogba/Grealish-------------

He’ll get plenty of games, even more if Pogba is shipped out. Grealish’s signing probably even hinges on his sale.

laughtersassassin

------------Matic/McTominay--------------------
----Fred/Bruno------Pogba/Grealish-------------

He’ll get plenty of games, even more if Pogba is shipped out. Grealish’s signing probably even hinges on his sale.
Pogba won't be shipped out. If he leaves it's cause he wants to win trophies we aren't kicking him out

Renegade

Mata has been deployed consistantly at RW throughout his Utd career but I don’t think he’s ever played as a ’right winger’. He’s always wandered about untethered and I’d imagine Grealish being able to do the same.

We’ve been pretty versatile tactically under Ole though so I’d imagine he’d come in as a AM in a diamond or in a back five formation with Fernandes/Pogba taking a step deeper.
Mata is left footed so it’s not quite the same. I have no problem with Grealish playing from the left as that’s arguably his strongest position anyway. From the right it’s completely different for the way he plays. For the same reason Rashford and Martial can’t play on that side well too.

laughtersassassin

Semantics. If he left that’s how I’d see it anyway.
Ok haha.

But as others have said we need to be making these signings regalesless of if he stays.

At the end of the day we simply don't have enough top players. Pogba is one Bruno is another. Need to be adding to them so if Pogba goes it would be shite by the club to replace him with one top player. We need to imrove the overlap squad quality so if he is going we would need both Grealish and Sancho.

One or the other would be a disgrace.

Kag

He'd most likely rotate amongst a number of different positions. Most obviously he'd be the direct first choice replacement for both Rashford and Bruno, but he'd also be an option on the right and in central midfield. He'd also play his part in the striker rotation (Rashford moving up front with Grealish then playing on the left).

We need roughly 14 true first teamers, not just 11. That covers us during injury, normal rotation over a long season, quality substitutions, and lets players know that if their form drops they'll end up sitting on the bench most of the time because we've got somebody of similar quality able to slot in. That's where Grealish comes in. Sometimes he'd only be on the bench, but over the course of the season he'd probably start more games than not.
Well said. As pointed out by @edcunited1878, we used to have the likes of Tevez, Scholes and Giggs on the bench to come on and change games. This is when we were good. Right now, we’re an injury to Bruno away from puddings like Lingard and Pereira.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Ok haha.

But as others have said we need to be making these signings regalesless of if he stays.

At the end of the day we simply don't have enough top players. Pogba is one Bruno is another. Need to be adding to them so if Pogba goes it would be shite by the club to replace him with one top player. We need to imrove the overlap squad quality so if he is going we would need both Grealish and Sancho.

One or the other would be a disgrace.
Oh yeah i’d still be bringing Grealish in regardless.

edcunited1878

One thing too, is I noticed that when it comes to transfers, many people isolate on a annual basis. As in, very short-term. When injuries, transfers, and issues arise easily.

What could stop Rashford from leaving for Real Madrid or Barcelona? What if Pogba just says feck it, I'm gone because there's a bid within the next two years that suits United, Ole, whoever? Same with Bruno. These are all possible scenarios in just 2/3 years time and preparing yourself when it's possible is best. Strengthen when you can when you are strong or getting stronger, not just when you're weak. Fergie always looked to 'freshen' up the squad because he didn't want complacency to creep in and get new blood in to keep everyone competitively on edge.

So many people complain about transfer fees with United. This has never been a problem for United since the advent of the Premier League. Only when agent fees got in the way did SAF or others shy away or not push harder. Even then, if a player really wants to come to United, they wouldn't sit idle, they would push it forward like Bruno, Berba, and countless other players.

Starting XIs across a domestic campaign and Europe are never set in stone. You need 15 or 16 players of first XI quality to compete throughout the year and to challenge.

I can almost guarantee that within 3 years, at least one of the following players will not be at United - Mata, Lingard, Periera, Chong, Pogba, Matic. Adding Grealish on a 3 year deal with a 4th year option or 4 year deal with a 5th year option helps alleviate any loss of said example players. You put Grealish in the matches that Mata, Lingard, Periera have played in this year....different outlook isn't it.

If Bruno and Pogba play advanced roles with Fred, McTominay, or Matic behind them, you'll need to freshen them up midweek or go with a more tactically hardened or disciplined side with 3 at the back and have McTominay, Fred, Grealish play the center of the pitch with Bruno, Pogba on the bench if needed. That's fecking beating a team before you reach the tunnel status.

Quality depth breeds quality competition in training which breeds the urgency to perform in matches or else you're not playing as much. They're all desperate to play and have to earn it.

NoPace

Grealish is versatile to get enough games for us, like say Isco for Madrid, as a 10 in a diamond or most offensive guy in the midfield 3 or as a winger (LW for him, RW for Isco).

And he'd give us our first bench midfielder/winger you'd fancy to come on and change a game with 30 to go since whatever year that old Giggs was coming on to supply Hernandez and Rooney with chances. Good teams have those.

Rashford-Martial-RW (Greenwood, Grealish, James)
--------Pogba---Bruno--- (Fred, Grealish)
----------------DM------------ (McTominay)
LB-----------------WanBissaka (Shaw, Williams)
-------Maguire-CB-------- (Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe)
-------------De Gea---------- (Romero)

Unclear if we can sign 5 quality players this summer but that's a team that can survive a couple injuries without going to pieces.

edcunited1878

Grealish is versatile to get enough games for us, like say Isco for Madrid, as a 10 in a diamond or most offensive guy in the midfield 3 or as a winger (LW for him, RW for Isco).

And he'd give us our first bench midfielder/winger you'd fancy to come on and change a game with 30 to go since whatever year that old Giggs was coming on to supply Hernandez and Rooney with chances. Good teams have those.

Rashford-Martial-RW (Greenwood, Grealish, James)
--------Pogba---Bruno--- (Fred, Grealish)
----------------DM------------ (McTominay)
LB-----------------WanBissaka (Shaw, Williams)
-------Maguire-CB-------- (Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe)
-------------De Gea---------- (Romero)

Unclear if we can sign 5 quality players this summer but that's a team that can survive a couple injuries without going to pieces.
However United don't need to make those 5 quality players because that's pretty much asking for top class players that aren't going to be available. United already have requisite quality in DM, LB, CB. The DM is Matic, but you can make a double pivot for more solidarity or put Pogba with Fred with Bruno above. LB is covered with Shaw and Williams or both if going with 3 at the back with Shaw as the LCB and Williams as the LWB. Lindelof is quality, not world class but he's working well and developing with Maguire. Within the next two summer transfer windows, the squad should be close to complete with players at or near their consistent peak with a good floor.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
One thing too, is I noticed that when it comes to transfers, many people isolate on a annual basis. As in, very short-term. When injuries, transfers, and issues arise easily.

What could stop Rashford from leaving for Real Madrid or Barcelona? What if Pogba just says feck it, I'm gone because there's a bid within the next two years that suits United, Ole, whoever? Same with Bruno. These are all possible scenarios in just 2/3 years time and preparing yourself when it's possible is best. Strengthen when you can when you are strong or getting stronger, not just when you're weak. Fergie always looked to 'freshen' up the squad because he didn't want complacency to creep in and get new blood in to keep everyone competitively on edge.

So many people complain about transfer fees with United. This has never been a problem for United since the advent of the Premier League. Only when agent fees got in the way did SAF or others shy away or not push harder. Even then, if a player really wants to come to United, they wouldn't sit idle, they would push it forward like Bruno, Berba, and countless other players.

Starting XIs across a domestic campaign and Europe are never set in stone. You need 15 or 16 players of first XI quality to compete throughout the year and to challenge.

I can almost guarantee that within 3 years, at least one of the following players will not be at United - Mata, Lingard, Periera, Chong, Pogba, Matic. Adding Grealish on a 3 year deal with a 4th year option or 4 year deal with a 5th year option helps alleviate any loss of said example players. You put Grealish in the matches that Mata, Lingard, Periera have played in this year....different outlook isn't it.

If Bruno and Pogba play advanced roles with Fred, McTominay, or Matic behind them, you'll need to freshen them up midweek or go with a more tactically hardened or disciplined side with 3 at the back and have McTominay, Fred, Grealish play the center of the pitch with Bruno, Pogba on the bench if needed. That's fecking beating a team before you reach the tunnel status.

Quality depth breeds quality competition in training which breeds the urgency to perform in matches or else you're not playing as much. They're all desperate to play and have to earn it.
After we lost both Keane & Ruud, there is a reason why we chose to sign Carrick first before we add Tevez & Berbatov in our squad. Everything need to be step by step process, and the best thing to do is spend the available money wisely not throw away the money so we can have Berbatov, Tevez & Scholes quality of bench.

If we sign Grealish this summer because we can't get Sancho or any quality player on the right then it makes more sense than signing both of them together this summer. Right winger is not the only position we need to upgrade and No 10, CM & LW aren't the position we need to upgrade at this point.

edcunited1878

After we lost both Keane & Ruud, there is a reason why we chose to sign Carrick first before we add Tevez & Berbatov in our squad. Everything need to be step by step process, and the best thing to do is spend the available money wisely not throw away the money so we can have Berbatov, Tevez & Scholes quality of bench.

If we sign Grealish this summer because we can't get Sancho or any quality player on the right then it makes more sense than signing both of them together this summer. Right winger is not the only position we need to upgrade and No 10, CM & LW aren't the position we need to upgrade at this point.
Tevez and Berbatov weren't available at that time anyways. The summer Keane was released saw VDS, Ji Sung Park, with Foster, Evra, and Vidic to follow. A step by step process is correct, however you also have to account not only for areas that you can clearly improve upon, but areas that will see players move on. The following summer, when Carrick was signed, RVN, Tim Howard, Pique, and others were sold or loaned out. Then the following year, Hargreaves and Anderson were signed.

You sign quality when you can, it waits for nobody. Right forward/right winger is the most glaring hole just like it was RB for many years. But if United have continued to earmark Sancho to be their future right forward, then so be it. Dan James and Greenwood are serviceable for now. And if United go at 3 at the back or diamond midfield, you don't need an out and out right winger or right forward.

Within the next year or two, it will probably be DM or backup/fringe CF. Then a year after that, DDG v. Dean Henderson will engulf the club.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Tevez and Berbatov weren't available at that time anyways. The summer Keane was released saw VDS, Ji Sung Park, with Foster, Evra, and Vidic to follow. A step by step process is correct, however you also have to account not only for areas that you can clearly improve upon, but areas that will see players move on. The following summer, when Carrick was signed, RVN, Tim Howard, Pique, and others were sold or loaned out. Then the following year, Hargreaves and Anderson were signed.

You sign quality when you can, it waits for nobody. Right forward/right winger is the most glaring hole just like it was RB for many years. But if United have continued to earmark Sancho to be their future right forward, then so be it. Dan James and Greenwood are serviceable for now. And if United go at 3 at the back or diamond midfield, you don't need an out and out right winger or right forward.

Within the next year or two, it will probably be DM or backup/fringe CF. Then a year after that, DDG v. Dean Henderson will engulf the club.
My point wasn't signing Tevez & Berbatov but we chose to sign midfielder first rather than striker in 06/07. We had Saha at that time who can still do the job in our starting XI in 06/07 thus why upgrading our starting XI midfield was more priority. Torres was one of the example striker that we were linked with at that time and we still chose to sign Carrick.

At this moment, no 10, LW & CM aren't position that we need to upgrade first compared to others. We need to spend the money wisely on position that we need to improve first not spend all the money on every available quality players so we can have amazing bench.

Last edited:

edcunited1878

My point wasn't signing Tevez & Berbatov but we chose to sign midfielder first rather than striker in 06/07. We had Saha at that time who can still do the job in our starting XI in 06/07 thus why upgrading our starting XI midfield was more priority. Torres was one of the example striker that we were linked with at that time and we still chose to sign Carrick.

At this moment, no 10, LW & CM aren't position that we need to upgrade first compared to others. We need to spend the money wisely on position that we need to improve first not spend all the money on every available quality players so we can have amazing bench.
So the only position that United need to seriously upgrade is RW/RF. What other position in the starting XI is a glaring weakness compared to CB and RB last year, and RW/RF this year? Grealish and Sancho is not a package deal, one doesn't depend on the other. Priority is clearly Sancho over Grealish, but Sancho has had his own budget since that's an enormous deal. Grealish may end up near Bruno's transfer fee. United still have housekeeping things of their own in Smalling, Sanchez, Ighalo, Rojo, and Gomes.

Grealish is a player who would take out 3 players at once in Mata, Lingard, and Pereria. Their playing time would be halved, at least. All 3 of those players have started way too many games without proper influence or end product. Having a quality bench is a very good thing, no shame in having one. And that's just at full strength.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So the only position that United need to seriously upgrade is RW/RF. What other position in the starting XI is a glaring weakness compared to CB and RB last year, and RW/RF this year? Grealish and Sancho is not a package deal, one doesn't depend on the other. Priority is clearly Sancho over Grealish, but Sancho has had his own budget since that's an enormous deal. Grealish may end up near Bruno's transfer fee. United still have housekeeping things of their own in Smalling, Sanchez, Ighalo, Rojo, and Gomes.

Grealish is a player who would take out 3 players at once in Mata, Lingard, and Pereria. Their playing time would be halved, at least. All 3 of those players have started way too many games without proper influence or end product. Having a quality bench is a very good thing, no shame in having one. And that's just at full strength.
First of all, Sancho will cost around 100m, and It's very unlikely we will add another 40m plus on our spending. Even Ole had mentioned before the pandemic that the money we spent on Bruno would affect our spending this summer.

After that, we'll still need to upgrade Lindelof. He's in our starting XI right now doesn't mean he's good enough for us in long term regular centre back to fight for league title. After that, we'll need to consider Matic's replacement and then we can start talking about strengthened others and this also including if players like Martial, Shaw/Williams & others are showing improvement and being developed to be good enough.

You are making it sounds easy that we can just expect players are going out easily as well as getting their replacement. If it was that easy, we wouldn't need to give Mata a new contract last summer to wait another window until we can sign Bruno. And I'm not just talking about what happened recently but also what happened in years ago. If it was always easy, we could sign striker (Torres) & midfield (Carrick) together in 06/07.

edcunited1878

First of all, Sancho will cost around 100m, and It's very unlikely we will add another 40m plus on our spending. Even Ole had mentioned before the pandemic that the money we spent on Bruno would affect our spending this summer.

After that, we'll still need to upgrade Lindelof. He's in our starting XI right now doesn't mean he's good enough for us in long term regular centre back to fight for league title. After that, we'll need to consider Matic's replacement and then we can start talking about strengthened others and this also including if players like Martial, Shaw/Williams & others are showing improvement and being developed to be good enough.

You are making it sounds easy that we can just expect players are going out easily as well as getting their replacement. If it was that easy, we wouldn't need to give Mata a new contract last summer to wait another window until we can sign Bruno. And I'm not just talking about what happened recently but also what happened in years ago. If it was always easy, we could sign striker (Torres) & midfield (Carrick) together in 06/07.
Sancho will be an expensive transfer yes, however 100M Euros is approximately 89M Pounds, not including any bonus or that sort. Regardless, it'll be expensive. What Ole says in public about impending transfers whether it be this year or next, wouldn't put much into it. He's not going to let anyone under the hood and it's very clear the club operated from a position of financial strength with Bruno, even before everything went to shit. United have large cash reserves that generate interest and commercial payments still coming in. United's financial boat was already higher and strong than many other clubs to begin with. Not saying they can just throw money at reckless abandon, but if clubs need immediate cash injections and are willing to part with good players, money talks and 1 player may not be bigger than the club, but 1 player transfer can save it from financial shithousery.

We don't need an upgrade on Lindelof, unless it's a bonafide complete upgrade, of which there aren't many. Go ahead, name a clear cut upgrade on Lindelof who is remotely available. You seriously cannot think United will spunk Sancho money and then Maguire money or there about on another CB, in the same window as Sancho. No way. Again, United have the 4th best defensive record through 29 matches in terms of goals conceded. Their goal tally, as we all know, is what is holding them back.

Matic does need to be replaced in time yes, but you can also cover a CDM with a double pivot or 3 CBs.

Martial is good enough, please stop. Again, name another clear cut replacement who is available for Martial. Timo Werner? Haaland wasn't going to United at this juncture of his career. Nope. However, Ole and club, really any smart club or business always sees what's under the hood when allowed to in any potential takeover or potential acquisition. Know how they operate and how they could one day slot into your company or business. Shaw and Williams have shown to be good enough and complement each other well. Shaw has finally regained the fitness and confidence and consistency. So again, who are these clear cut players that are available at LB?

My point is, if Grealish is really available at an affordable price that is deemed fair by the club and United have clearance to get him...I am all for it as many others are or at least should be.

SAFMUTD

Its not just about starting XI quality, is about having a competitive squad, if Bruno goes into a patch, gets injured, suspended or needs rest right now we would play Lingard or Pereira in his position, thats a huge drop in quality.

We need depth if we want to compete for major titles, looking at the other top teams and they have game changers on their bench

Madrid: Isco, Valverde, Asensio
Barca: Vidal, Umtiti, Rakitic, Dembele
Bayern: Coutinho, Coman, Tolisso
Liverpool: Shaqiri, Keita, Oxlade Chamberlain
City: Gundogan, Gabriel Jesus, Mahrez, Cancelo
Juve: Douglas Costa, Ramsey, Bernardeschi, Bentancur, Rabiot

Meanwhile look at our bench, the gap between the starting players and the squad is huge, having Grealish would definitely improve us.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sancho will be an expensive transfer yes, however 100M Euros is approximately 89M Pounds, not including any bonus or that sort. Regardless, it'll be expensive. What Ole says in public about impending transfers whether it be this year or next, wouldn't put much into it. He's not going to let anyone under the hood and it's very clear the club operated from a position of financial strength with Bruno, even before everything went to shit. United have large cash reserves that generate interest and commercial payments still coming in. United's financial boat was already higher and strong than many other clubs to begin with. Not saying they can just throw money at reckless abandon, but if clubs need immediate cash injections and are willing to part with good players, money talks and 1 player may not be bigger than the club, but 1 player transfer can save it from financial shithousery.

We don't need an upgrade on Lindelof, unless it's a bonafide complete upgrade, of which there aren't many. Go ahead, name a clear cut upgrade on Lindelof who is remotely available. You seriously cannot think United will spunk Sancho money and then Maguire money or there about on another CB, in the same window as Sancho. No way. Again, United have the 4th best defensive record through 29 matches in terms of goals conceded. Their goal tally, as we all know, is what is holding them back.

Matic does need to be replaced in time yes, but you can also cover a CDM with a double pivot or 3 CBs.

Martial is good enough, please stop. Again, name another clear cut replacement who is available for Martial. Timo Werner? Haaland wasn't going to United at this juncture of his career. Nope. However, Ole and club, really any smart club or business always sees what's under the hood when allowed to in any potential takeover or potential acquisition. Know how they operate and how they could one day slot into your company or business. Shaw and Williams have shown to be good enough and complement each other well. Shaw has finally regained the fitness and confidence and consistency. So again, who are these clear cut players that are available at LB?

My point is, if Grealish is really available at an affordable price that is deemed fair by the club and United have clearance to get him...I am all for it as many others are or at least should be.
Your points were, you believe that financially we are capable to sign everyone who are available and how we needed to sign someone like Grealish so we can have strong backup & bench to win the league like in 07/08 & 08/09. Both of your points just don't meet our condition right now.

Our money is not Arab money & our regular XI is still not on par with the likes of Liverpool & City to considered us challenging the league. In 05/06 & 06/07, we were focusing on strengthened our regular XI before we strengthened the bench & the backup option. This should give you the idea of when is the best time for United to spend big money for their bench or backup players.

Sancho's transfer value right now is about 120m Euro, that's pretty much exceed 100m pounds. I'm in shocked how there is someone who still think that we can sign both Grealish & Sancho this summer window after the world's situation is in right now. You look at what happened in the past 2 summer windows, we barely even exceeded 100m net spend. Bruno was available last summer, and yet we needed to wait until January to sign him.

Of course we need to upgrade Lindelof, the guy is not good enough for regular centre back in winning the league sides. And when I said we need to upgrade him doesn't mean we need to upgrade him this transfer window. Centre back availability in the market can changed every transfer window, Koulibaly wasn't available last summer. Upamecano & Koulibaly are now available this window. This is including player like Martial, Shaw/Williams and others who will be given chances to show what they can become in the next two season. Asking for name right now is unnecessary since we don't know who's going to show up in 2021 and what our players can become in 2021, potential new names can come out as well.

POF

It's amazing how people think about squad building. United went into this season ridiculously short of attackers. Martial got injured in the 3rd game of the season and United went from looking dangerous to never looking like they'd score again with a front 4 of Lingard, Pereira, James and Rashford.

Now it's "we don't need Grealish, we have Bruno and Rashford". What if one of them gets injured, suspended or is out of form? Back to Pereira or Lingard as first choice?

Under Mourinho, United looked like they lacked quality in attack. Since then, they've lost their 2 marquee forwards (Lukaku and Sanchez) and the likes of Mata, Lingard and Pereira are being phased out. Bruno has come in but in the front 3, they've added a winger from the championship and a striker on loan from China.

The club is desperately in need of attacking quality. If Grealish has the right attitude and is willing to come in and fight for his place by putting pressure on the attacking players, he will be a far better addition than some budget back up player to sit on the bench.

High quality squads aren't built on guaranteed starters and lesser players as back up. If Grealish was on fire and pushed Rashford or Bruno onto the bench, that would be fantastic and far more beneficial than a having a significant downgrade in reserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.